• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm not sure "Sneaks In" really fits her. She has never been a sneaky type character. She's always worked directly, and been a much more upfront character than, say, Sheik.

Also, since seeing Hyrule Warriors, it doesn't fit her AT ALL. As the devs said: Sheik is a ninja, Impa is a samurai.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really, today's update just proofs that Impa was the most likely Zelda character from the start. And now suddenly people start to talk about Tetra and Ganon again. :smirk: It's like they don't WANT to believe Impa is the most likely Zelda newcomer from this point. The idea of having 3 Zeldas playable is laughable. And Ganon will most likely remain Ganondorf's Final Smash.

Ghirahim also look a lot like his Hyrule Warriors self. And as I noticed before, Midna's AT attacks in a way she never done in Twilight Princess either, but DOES resemble her playstyle in Hyrule Warriors. I think we're down for something awesome! Impa is really the only choice that makes sence at this point. And I'd be extremely dissapointed if she did not become playable.

All I gotta say left is that I'm happy I never put down the faith in Impa, and I'd be extremely satisfied if she ends up making it, which I now view as more likely than before.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Hmm... This is unusual...
With Ghirahim down, the only other option is Impa as a newcomer, but I feel like this isn't going to happen. There are a number of things that go against Impa, such as Sheik. :4sheik:

However, I'd be completely surprised if Impa is the next Zelda newcomer. I still think it's unlikely. (I'm just stating my opinion!) If she is playable and offers more than what Sheik can, maybe I'll express some interest in her...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is no concern for Impa since a long time. Look at their playstyles in Hyrule Warriors, they aren't even alike- better even they seem complete opposites! Impa would be more of a power character opposed to Sheik's speed. But they'd both be really agile, that's true.

Sheik being split up is more trouble for Toon Zelda and Tetra than it is for Impa ironically. :laugh:

Also, Hyrule Warriors has been released in Japan so... What is the 3rd weapon type that Impa can use? We know of the Gaint Blade and Naginata but she's bound to have a 3rd weapon to. Am hoping for some sort of twin blades, or a dagger of sorts to also have a style that's based on speed to.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
We know Sakurai takes input from developers when he adds a character. If you have heard any of the developers talking about Hyrule Warriors, you know that their vision of Impa is very different from Sheik. They viewed and designed her more as a samurai than a ninja.

Even if the game itself was too early in development to take a moveset from, that vision would still be in place. So we could very easily be seeing Sakurai's take on samurai Impa (in terms of moveset).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of movesets:

And yes, even IF Impa would end up being a Sheik semi-clone, she could be as different from her as Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are. Or even Fox and Wolf.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's a lot of bias, cause Link appearantly has like 5 weapon types.

Then again, he's Link.

Impa having two weapon types is already respectable I think. Zelda also has two, and am guessing that the likes of Ghirahim, Zant, Midna, Agathia, Dariunia and Ruto wouldn't have more than one weapon type either? Maybe Sheik also doesn't have anything more going on for her than the Harp (and of course transforming into Zelda).

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Sheik is no concern for Impa since a long time. Look at their playstyles in Hyrule Warriors, they aren't even alike- better even they seem complete opposites! Impa would be more of a power character opposed to Sheik's speed. But they'd both be really agile, that's true.

Sheik being split up is more trouble for Toon Zelda and Tetra than it is for Impa ironically. :laugh:

Also, Hyrule Warriors has been released in Japan so... What is the 3rd weapon type that Impa can use? We know of the Gaint Blade and Naginata but she's bound to have a 3rd weapon to. Am hoping for some sort of twin blades, or a dagger of sorts to also have a style that's based on speed to.
IMO the main thing Impa has going for her IS the fact that Sheik is already in.

What I mean by that is, she could quickly and easily be made a clone of Sheik.
I'd be very surprised if they spent the time and money developing an entire original moveset for a character as relatively obscure as Impa. Especially when there's a perfectly logical clone moveset already existing.

Same deal with Lucina. I don't think she would've made it if it wasn't so easy to just make her a clone.
Same thing happened in Brawl with Wolf.
Same thing happened in Melee with Roy, Ganondorf, Young Link, Doc Mario and Falco.
These are all characters who they wouldn't have bothered with at the time if they had to start from scratch.

TLDR: Would you guys be happy if Impa made it as a clone? (IMO, that's the best you can hope for)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How would it be the best we can hope for? Rosalina's best hope first was being a Peach semi-clone, and look how THAT turned out. :rolleyes:

If Hyrule Warriors doesn't convince you, what else will?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I'd be very surprised if they spent the time and money developing an entire original moveset for a character as relatively obscure as Impa. Especially when there's a perfectly logical clone moveset already existing.
:4wiifit::4greninja:

Even :4robinm::4robinf: to an extent.

Same thing happened in Brawl with Wolf.
How is Wolf even considered a clone? I literally never understood this. He has a reflector (Zelda's a Fox clone guys!!!) and a blaster (but his is pretty different), his side b and up b are pretty different, and his smash attacks are entirely different.

Tbh Wolf's blaster is more similar to Luigi's fireball than Fox's or Falco's blasters.

TLDR: Would you guys be happy if Impa made it as a clone? (IMO, that's the best you can hope for)
Technically, for me Impa is in the zone of "I'd be happy if she got in but it's not a big deal if she doesn't," so while I think it would be odd and a missed opportunity, I wouldn't really mind if Impa was a clone.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa's obscure but has appeared in all major Zelda releases in some shape or form, plus all recent Zelda titles. Ocarina of Time, Skyward Sword, cameo in Wind Waker, highly referenced in Twilight Princess, appearance in A Link Between Worlds, playable in Hyrule Warriors and actually being the very first playable character revealed AFTER Link. The Impa plottwist in Skyward Sword which is about as big as the Sheik plottwist in Ocarina of Time. BUT WAIT! SKYWARD SWORD IS A **** GAME RIGHT? SO IT DOES NOT COUNT? :rolleyes: Seriously, people need to stop giving Impa limitations because they themselves haven't bothered to finish Skyward Sword. I predicted this a long time ago, when I first finished Skyward Sword ; Impa is gonna be a regular character in most Zelda games from now on. And she is! No reason not to include her. And if she's rather unknown right now, that's no problem: Smash will fix that instantly.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Impa is rather obscure, especially by Zelda standards, I never really knew anything about her before Smash 4's speculation period and even if I don't enjoy the 3D Zeldas I at least still knew about all the one-off villains and everything. I don't believe a spin-off will have much effect on her future in the franchise either.

Regardless I wouldn't cite that as a reason for her not to be unique. However, I do think she could very possibly be a last minute addition since there haven't been any Zelda characters this time that have been worth prioritizing, and her similiarities to Sheik in body structure makes her rather easy to include as a clone. Would also explain why everyone is still using TP designs despite her presence. Who knows how unique she'd be though, she could be as unique as Wolf or she could be as cloney as Toon Link, I do think that if she's in she's most likely going to be based off of Sheik regardless, just hopefully she'll has some unique tricks of her own.

On another note, wouldn't it kind of suck if half of Zelda's playable cast are clones? Ganondorf pls.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
How would it be the best we can hope for? Rosalina's best hope first was being a Peach semi-clone, and look how THAT turned out. :rolleyes:

If Hyrule Warriors doesn't convince you, what else will?
I would have always said that if Rosalina made it, she would be original. She's nowhere near as obscure as Impa, and being a clone of peaches moveset would make jack all sense.
She's established herself as an iconic Mario character and is playable in many Mario titles.
Impa has only been a plot character in Nintendo games. And often of minor importance.

I'm not sure about your logic with Hyrule Warriors. There are many obscure characters playable in that game. I don't any more fancy the chances of a Goron getting an original moveset in SSB just because one is playable in HW.

More importantly, Hyrule Warriors would be a stronger point if it was actually a Nintendo title. Instead it's another company buying the rights to the Zelda universe while being overseen by Nintendo.
Some have speculated that the only reason Nintendo accepted is because of the long wait between Zelda titles this generation.

I like Impa's chances as a last minute whipped together clone. But I'd be surprised if she was any more than that. Just not important enough to the series IMO.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I really hope Ganondorf is being revamped completely. I also think that if we get Impa in Hyrule Warriors style, a revamped Ganondorf based on Hyrule Warriors is all the more likely. It'd be a perfect scenario in my eyes.

Am still saying that if Rosalina could be as unique as she is now, and Greninja's moveset also has been created in one night, that we have no reason not to hope for an all unique Impa. Her look in Hyrule Warriors is unique and I think it might foreshadow her future in the main series.

Wouldn't be upset either if Impa ended up being based of Sheik, but it would be a wasted oppertunity. If anything, she could be made a semi-clone out of Ike or Greninja to. Her being based of Sheik wouldn't really do it for me, unless she is based on her Skyward Sword self. In which case, I'd really hope that she appears in Zelda Wii U as to make sure she won't be put on the chopping block for Smash 5.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Impa's obscure but has appeared in all major Zelda releases in some shape or form, plus all recent Zelda titles.
Pretty sure she wasn't in Link to the past, Majoras Mask or Wind Waker. Which are all definitely major console releases.
By my recollection she's only been in about 6/16? titles. Only only two roles that were significant/memorable.

Not to mention that she looks so unrecognisable from game to game, that most casual players would have no idea she's a recurring character.

I really hope Ganondorf is being revamped completely. I also think that if we get Impa in Hyrule Warriors style, a revamped Ganondorf based on Hyrule Warriors is all the more likely. It'd be a perfect scenario in my eyes.

Am still saying that if Rosalina could be as unique as she is now, and Greninja's moveset also has been created in one night, that we have no reason not to hope for an all unique Impa. Her look in Hyrule Warriors is unique and I think it might foreshadow her future in the main series.

Wouldn't be upset either if Impa ended up being based of Sheik, but it would be a wasted oppertunity. If anything, she could be made a semi-clone out of Ike or Greninja to. Her being based of Sheik wouldn't really do it for me, unless she is based on her Skyward Sword self. In which case, I'd really hope that she appears in Zelda Wii U as to make sure she won't be put on the chopping block for Smash 5.
Agree with you about G'dorf.
But like I said, HW isn't a Nintendo game so I wouldn't expect it to influence his moveset. HW was only released recently as well, so probably not enough time for it to change anything.

The design of a moveset isn't the time consuming part. It would be quite easy to design a moveset in one night.
It would be impossible to develop, test, balance and animate a moveset in less than a few weeks.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I prefer her HW design, but I would DEFINITELY not complain if we got her SS look, as that was a great design too.
I really just want Impa in, I'll be disappointed if she's not at this point.

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
The thing with Impa is that she's consistent. People are always looking for that next Zelda rep, and so many of the suggestions are just one game only characters. Midna, Girahim, Tetra, etc. They are all relevant to the Smash their game was close to, but since then they will slip off the Zelda radar. Obviously Sheik is the exception to this, but she was initially tied to Zelda and has since become popular enough through Smash to warrant a spot.

Impa is that consistent character that has appeared in many Zelda games and will continue to do so. She's not usually in a major role (though in Skyward Sword she certainly was), but she is always there, and always has presence. I think if Zelda is getting another rep, she would be a fine choice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Skyward Sword Impa is still the most important Impa overall. After all, she was the Goddess Hylia's handpicked chosen warrior to protect her mortal form, and guide the Hero of Destiny. So yes, I wouldn't be upset at all with Skyward Sword Impa. And I feel that with the Skyloft stage it's still extremely likely we'll see her.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I'd be pretty stoked if she made it and got her oracle of ages model as a costume change: :chuckle:

Can you imagine that flipping around in a Sheik like manner? No one would main anyone else.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'd be pretty stoked if she made it and got her oracle of ages model as a costume change: :chuckle:

Can you imagine that flipping around in a Sheik like manner? No one would main anyone else.
I hereby declare there be TWO Impas in Smash Bros!!!!! \0o0/
1: Skyward Sword/Hyrule Warriors for brute strength and speed
2: Oracle of Ages/Seasons Impa For the Win!!!

(I think I prefer the Ages/Seasons Impa. She just looks like the perfect nanny for Zelda! ...Yes, Ages/Seasons Impa is by far, the Impa I like the most. More than the Skyward Sword Impa.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
:4wiifit::4greninja:

Even :4robinm::4robinf: to an extent.
WFT and Greninja are extremely far from obscure, by my definition.
Greninja is probably the most popular new Pokemon in the new hugely successful Pokemon games.
WFT is recognisable even to the most casual of gamers.

I'm not familiar enough with FE Awakening, but I understand Robin was the avatar of the player. Not a story character.

How is Wolf even considered a clone? I literally never understood this. He has a reflector (Zelda's a Fox clone guys!!!) and a blaster (but his is pretty different), his side b and up b are pretty different, and his smash attacks are entirely different.

Tbh Wolf's blaster is more similar to Luigi's fireball than Fox's or Falco's blasters.
He's a clone. They just went to a little bit more effort to change his animations than some other clones.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Wouldnt be weird if we dont get any Zelda newcomer at all?
A part of me kinda expects that. I wouldn't mind if we got 5 Zelda reps: Therefore: :4link::4tlink::4zelda::4sheik:and :ganondorf:.
Add Impa, that gives us 6 Zelda reps. Whether or not it deserves 6 reps, I don't know, and whether or not we'll get Slimpa or Ages/Seasons Impa, I don't know. I already know which one I want. Ages/Seasons Impa. :) Imagine the trailer with Tal Tal Heights playing with that version of Impa. Genius. :p

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Seriously if they gave her a fun playstyle I'd take Impa in any form.

And if heavier Impa got in? Well, awesome! Nintendo doesn't exactly have many options for female heavy weights anyways.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Wouldnt be weird if we dont get any Zelda newcomer at all?
Wouldn't be surprised. There aren't any really obvious choices.

Fat Impa would be a great Final Smash actually. :awesome:
Impa's final Smash: She summons tingle.... and then eats him (about time someone did). That turns her into fat Impa and she destroys everyone with her fat ninja powers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa is what comes closest to an obvious choice. She's a lot more obvious than Rosalina was for Mario, where many felt that Toad, Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. especially where a lot more obvious.

If Paper Mario still will appear, I think it's extremely likely Zelda will have a newcomer as well. And that'd be Impa.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Impa is what comes closest to an obvious choice. She's a lot more obvious than Rosalina was for Mario, where many felt that Toad, Paper Mario and Bowser Jr. especially where a lot more obvious.

If Paper Mario still will appear, I think it's extremely likely Zelda will have a newcomer as well. And that'd be Impa.
Or Navi :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Navi did not appear in Skyward Sword. Right now, it's highly likely we'll get a character from Skyward Sword as newcomer. And I really, REALLY doubt it's gonna be Groose.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Navi did not appear in Skyward Sword. Right now, it's highly likely we'll get a character from Skyward Sword as newcomer. And I really, REALLY doubt it's gonna be Groose.
As awesome as that would be. :troll:

But yeah, Impa's the only one left with any shot.

Not sure how her chances are, but being the only one left is encouraging.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
In fact, from the beggining, i did not expected a Skyward Sword character. Evidence points to that... Skyward Sword is the most recent game in the series from home consoles. It would make sense to include a lot of content of that game in SSB4.

However, look at the characters... Link and Zelda are mantaining Twilight Princess design, Sheik represents Ocarina of Time despite his sightly updated design, Toon Link from Wind Waker. And Ganondorf is most likely going to return with Twilight Princess design.

What does Skyward Sword have? Items, one stage, a lazy poorly made alternative costume for Link and now an Assist trophy, but Twilight Princess got an Assist trophy as well and we got as well other items from The Legend of Zelda that are not connected to Skyward Sword.

In conclusion, we are getting really low content of Skyward Sword.

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Impa appeared in the following games:

The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds

No one else comes anywhere close to that many titles except the characters that are already playable. Fans of the Zelda series regard her as one of the most recognizable characters in the series. If you think she is obscure, then you haven't played enough Zelda.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In fact, from the beggining, i did not expected a Skyward Sword character. Evidence points to that... Skyward Sword is the most recent game in the series from home consoles. It would make sense to include a lot of content of that game in SSB4.

However, look at the characters... Link and Zelda are mantaining Twilight Princess design, Sheik represents Ocarina of Time despite his sightly updated design, Toon Link from Wind Waker. And Ganondorf is most likely going to return with Twilight Princess design.

What does Skyward Sword have? Items, one stage, a lazy poorly made alternative costume for Link and now an Assist trophy, but Twilight Princess got an Assist trophy as well and we got as well other items from The Legend of Zelda that are not connected to Skyward Sword.

In conclusion, we are getting really low content of Skyward Sword.
Unless, of course, Impa becomes playable. Then it's all good.

Top Bottom