• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Impa, the Enigmatic Sheikah, Sage of Shadow

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Impa and Tingle really are the only other characters who reappear a lot of the time.

Both would be great Smash characters too.

The other recurring characters are either too old (Vaati sadly) or too minor (lol Anju).

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
Fixed.

She only appeared in the manuals for TLoZ and TAoL. In WW it was just a stained glass window.

The manuals for the early games still count, in my opinion. Back then, they didn't have the frills we are used to today. The manuals were where you obtained the bulk of the storyline, and Impa was a big part of setting up the adventure.

I'll concede the stained glass window point, though. But the fact that they even referenced her as an Easter egg, despite not actually making an actual appearance, still proves that she is considered an important character to the franchise.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Impa and Tingle really are the only other characters who reappear a lot of the time.

The other recurring characters are either too old (Vaati sadly) or too minor (lol Anju).
You're forgetting one of the most recurring characters in the series.
The manuals for the early games still count, in my opinion. Back then, they didn't have the frills we are used to today. The manuals were where you obtained the bulk of the storyline, and Impa was a big part of setting up the adventure.
You said games, so the manuals don't technically count.
I'll concede the stained glass window point, though. But the fact that they even referenced her as an Easter egg, despite not actually making an actual appearance, still proves that she is considered an important character to the franchise.
Well, all sages from OoT had one of those in WW.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Impa appeared in the following games:

The Legend of Zelda
The Adventure of Link
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
The Wind Waker
Skyward Sword
A Link Between Worlds

No one else comes anywhere close to that many titles except the characters that are already playable. Fans of the Zelda series regard her as one of the most recognizable characters in the series. If you think she is obscure, then you haven't played enough Zelda.
One of the most recognizable characters... That can be discussed. Considering how she is constantly changing her appearance across the series... That for sure hurts her in therms of being recognizable or not. But even with that she seems to be the most obvious character to add to SSB.

However, personally i would add a Goron to SSB, i think that the race is quite iconic and it could be fun and unique to play.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're forgetting one of the most recurring characters in the series.
Ganon is Ganondorf.

Same guy. Regardless of whether he gets in as Pig Ganon, its the same character Zelda wise.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What Goron? There's no specific Goron who's overall really important outside of Darunia. And we should only consider him because of Hyrule Warriors. A game that, according to many here, isn't enough of a warrant alone to make it in as playable.

Impa really is all that's left, and that's awesome. Cause Impa is all kinds of amazing. Like I always said.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What Goron? There's no specific Goron who's overall really important outside of Darunia.

Biggoron would like a word with you.

Actually, he appears more than Darunia.

He must be more likely as a Smash rep. :troll:

(Also, there's Darbus, the TP Goron elders and Gorons from PH and ST that I can't remember the name of).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Doesn't change the fact that he's recurring.

The pig form by itself has more appearances than Impa.
Yeah but...

That's still Ganondorf.

They are one in the same....

I'm saying that Impa is most recurring after them.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
What Goron? There's no specific Goron who's overall really important outside of Darunia. And we should only consider him because of Hyrule Warriors. A game that, according to many here, isn't enough of a warrant alone to make it in as playable.

Impa really is all that's left, and that's awesome. Cause Impa is all kinds of amazing. Like I always said.
Srsly let go of Hyrule warriors.
1) Only released a week ago so won't have an influence on Smash.
2) Not even a Nintendo game.

Doesn't change the fact that he's recurring.

The pig form by itself has more appearances than Impa.
By that logic you'd have to include Dark Link too.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman

Biggoron appeared more times than any other Goron in the series. However he is too big to be playable ;P

In other hand, Darunia is one of the seven sages.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Who cares if it's not a Nintendo game? It gets treated as such by the developers otherwise it wouldn't get all this massive attention. :smirk:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hyrule Warriors is published by Nintendo.

It's a Nintendo game.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Guys, Hyrule Warriors came out to late to have an effect on Smash.

Note: I'm not bashing Impa. I'm saying that Hyrule Warriors came out too late to affect her chances. Please do not endlessly bash me for having a differing opinion.

Also, I still think Vaati has a chance.

Bumbalobob

Smash Cadet
Guys, Hyrule Warriors came out to late to have an effect on Smash.

Note: I'm not bashing Impa. I'm saying that Hyrule Warriors came out too late to affect her chances. Please do not endlessly bash me for having a differing opinion.

Also, I still think Vaati has a chance.
I agree with you sentiment. Impa's chances will have been determined solely on her Skyward Sword appearance, which still makes her fairly likely. As such her moveset will be based of that game (assuming she is not a clone) and not Hyrule Warriors. At most we might get a Hyrule Warriors costume, but even that seems unlikely to me.

As for Vaati, I agree both he and Tetra still have a chance at getting in the game. In my opinion Impa's chances are just higher.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I still don't believe the "Leaked" is real but It was confirmed by one of the leakers that the DLC list of;

• Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Ice Climbers
  • Chorus Kids
  • Snake
is fake; and 2 leakers confirmed that there are more characters left in the roster. Going by the leaks earlier, these characters are assumed to be:

• Ridley
  • Dixie Kong
  • Mewtwo
  • Impa :smirk:
  • Mach Rider
  • Chorus Kids
  • And here's him claiming there are more characters left:
http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-412#post-17332198

http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-412#post-17332935

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still don't believe the "Leaked" is real but It was confirmed by one of the leakers that the DLC list of;

• Wolf
  • Lucas
  • Ice Climbers
  • Chorus Kids
  • Snake
is fake; and 2 leakers confirmed that there are more characters left in the roster. Going by the leaks earlier, these characters are assumed to be:

• Ridley
  • Dixie Kong
  • Mewtwo
  • Impa :smirk:
  • Mach Rider
  • Chorus Kids
  • And here's him claiming there are more characters left:
http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-412#post-17332198

http://smashboards.com/threads/heir-to-the-monado-shulk-for-ssb4.324326/page-412#post-17332935
Worth mentioning that Impa and Mach Rider were added onto that leak after its credibility was exposed, so they're likely to just have been added by fake leakers.

Also, why do Impa fans love that emoticon so much?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
WFT and Greninja are extremely far from obscure, by my definition.
Greninja is probably the most popular new Pokemon in the new hugely successful Pokemon games.
WFT is recognisable even to the most casual of gamers.

I'm not familiar enough with FE Awakening, but I understand Robin was the avatar of the player. Not a story character.
A character that previously might not even be considered a "character" isn't obscure? A Pokemon that didn't even exist when it was chosen and doesn't have any specific relevance isn't obscure? But Impa, a character who has appeared in multiple Zelda games and often plays a significant role is obscure?

He's a clone. They just went to a little bit more effort to change his animations than some other clones.
Yeah great explanation there.
Me: "How is he a clone considering this this this this and this."
You: "lulz he's a clone."

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Is Impa really one of the possible newcomers according to the leakers, or is this just based on the trophy theory and we actually have no clue about some of the spots left on the roster?

Don't mess with mah feelings. :sadeyes:

micstar615

Smash Ace
I was a massive Ghirahim supporter and he was my most wanted Zelda newcomer. Impa was my second most wanted so she now has my full support. I'd rather her than Ganon or Toon Zelda or Tetra :/

Also, I LOVE what I've seen of her in HW, she's so badass and fierce :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
What about Mewtwo, Dixie and Ridley?
Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley and Chorus Kids were leaked alongside DHD, Bowser Jr and Dark Pit before the leak had any credibility, at the time those were leaked it was regarded as one of million fake leaks, so either that one leaker had the most lucky guess ever, added fake characters on top of the legit info he knew, or they're actually in. Anyways, this isn't the thread for that.

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543
Just want you guys to know I'm backing up with the Impa supporters.
I'm coming straight from the ruins of Ghirahim's thread.
I just want to say that I'd love her in the game, and (hopefully) she'd be very unique if Sakurai went that far.
but signs say she probably would

I'd also LOVE to take a crack at making two movesets for her.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Biggoron appeared more times than any other Goron in the series. However he is too big to be playable ;P
The Ridley detractors are spreading. We must cleanse them with fire!

I agree that Hyrule Warriors is too recent for the standard sort of representation, it was not too recent for design and styles to influence Impa's appearance or play style. Sakurai undoubtedly asked the Zelda devs about Impa as a character if he was putting her in (and he could very well have been inspired to do so by her Skyward Sword appearance), and they would have already had a clear design and style in mind for Impa at that time. So it is still possible for some cross-game concepts to come through.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Well with Ghirahim being De-Confirmed today Impa's chances is pretty high.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
If the trophy theory is to be believed. I don't know if people are still taking it into account though...
Of course not. The trophy theory is an official tease. It can't mean nearly as much as all the unofficial leaks running around.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
And here we are.

Down to the Final Two, now that the most recent Zelda's popular-character-with-not-much-chance is deconfirmed, like Skull Kid and Midna before him.

The only two trully important recurring characters are in their final duel for the spot. Impa, the caretaker. Ganon, the OG villain of the series.

Or we'll get neither and all these ATs are Sakurai's apology for no Zelda newcomer because he was too busy making Ganondorf a clone again.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
And here we are.

Down to the Final Two, now that the most recent Zelda's popular-character-with-not-much-chance is deconfirmed, like Skull Kid and Midna before him.

The only two trully important recurring characters are in their final duel for the spot. Impa, the caretaker. Ganon, the OG villain of the series.

Or we'll get neither and all these ATs are Sakurai's apology for no Zelda newcomer because he was too busy making Ganondorf a clone again.
Or tetra

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
New Impa render, or at least one I haven't seen before with the Naginata.

Am still hoping for her quick reveal! A double reveal with Ganondorf would really be all types of amazing.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
New Impa render, or at least one I haven't seen before with the Naginata.

Am still hoping for her quick reveal! A double reveal with Ganondorf would really be all types of amazing.
That render is pretty old, it was revealed alongside the naginata a while ago I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace

Too be fair, Tingle never palys an important role in the zelda game he is in, he normally the weird guy that sells maps

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
A character that previously might not even be considered a "character" isn't obscure? A Pokemon that didn't even exist when it was chosen and doesn't have any specific relevance isn't obscure? But Impa, a character who has appeared in multiple Zelda games and often plays a significant role is obscure?
My definition of obscure relates to how well known a character is and how important they are to their series.

Greninja is the new Charizard and very very well know to anyone who has played or is familiar with the newest Pokegeneration.
WFT if very well recognised to almost anyone familiar with the Nintendo Wii.

Where as most people who play Zelda don't even realise Impa is a recurring character till someone points it out to them.
Possibly because she looks entirely different per game and seldom has a memorable role.

Impa is also only ever a story character in Zelda titles.
And only plays a significant role in at most two Zelda titles.

Sadly, I don't think HW will have any influence on SSB4 since it was only just released in Japan last week.

Yeah great explanation there.
Me: "How is he a clone considering this this this this and this."
You: "lulz he's a clone."
I pointed out that his differences were generally animation changes.

What it comes down to for me is, if it's clear that a character was started as a clone and then tweaked, then I could not classify it as an original moveset.

It's fairly evident that his moves have massive parallel with foxes', just tweaked and re-animated.

Up B tweaked to remove the charge.
Side B tweaked to move diagonally.
Nuetral B tweaked to slower and more powerful.
Down B and final smash barely tweaked at all.

The most notable difference is the smash attack animations.
That solidifies him as Luigifued, but in my opinion, that doesn't constitute classing it as an 'original moveset'.

Again, that's just how I classify a clone. If your definition of an original moveset requires less distinction, that's fine.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
My definition of obscure relates to how well known a character is and how important they are to their series.

Greninja is the new Charizard and very very well know to anyone who has played or is familiar with the newest Pokegeneration.
WFT if very well recognised to almost anyone familiar with the Nintendo Wii.

Where as most people who play Zelda don't even realise Impa is a recurring character till someone points it out to them.
Possibly because she looks entirely different per game and seldom has a memorable role.

Impa is also only ever a story character in Zelda titles.
And only plays a significant role in at most two Zelda titles.

Sadly, I don't think HW will have any influence on SSB4 since it was only just released in Japan last week.

I pointed out that his differences were generally animation changes.

What it comes down to for me is, if it's clear that a character was started as a clone and then tweaked, then I could not classify it as an original moveset.

It's fairly evident that his moves have massive parallel with foxes', just tweaked and re-animated.

Up B tweaked to remove the charge.
Side B tweaked to move diagonally.
Nuetral B tweaked to slower and more powerful.
Down B and final smash barely tweaked at all.

The most notable difference is the smash attack animations.
That solidifies him as Luigifued, but in my opinion, that doesn't constitute classing it as an 'original moveset'.

Again, that's just how I classify a clone. If your definition of an original moveset requires less distinction, that's fine.
Robin is a character only known to those who have actually played Fire Emblem Awakening. The gender swapping and customization options precluded Robin from being used as advertising material. Yet, to anyone who has played Awakening, the character is instantly recognized and loved.

Not being known to the masses obviously crippled Robin's chances of getting in, which is why we're stuck with Chrom as the Awakening representative.

Top Bottom