• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike isn't as slow as people thought he was...

Kips

Smash Ace
I was thinking the same thing Flying Dutchman. Oh so that's fox doing the sh- o.o... Can. Mmm... Can.

But seriously, apparently he did get sped up? Could you give us an estimate as to how fast he is now? Movement or attackwise? Just looking for more specifics.

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
I'm skeptical. Jump Festa was all FFA matches, correct? If so, then they only got a look at Ike in his best environment. Hard to believe that confirms he was buffed.

Torchik

Smash Ace
^ Ummm, I think they could tell. Some of the people at Jumpfesta were probably at E for All and could tell the difference. Or maybe they just saw that he wasn't as slow anymore (maybe they compared him to Bowser and he's faster now)...they're not stupid. ^_^

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
^ Ummm, I think they could tell. Some of the people at Jumpfesta were probably at E for All and could tell the difference. Or maybe they just saw that he wasn't as slow anymore (maybe they compared him to Bowser and he's faster now)...they're not stupid. ^_^
Lol, no offense, but that won't cut it for me. Thanks though. I guess we'll just find out when the Japanese get it. ^_^

Rikka

Smash Journeyman
Jump Festa was in Japan. What? Two people from smashboards went, and I don't recall either of them even playing Ike. I doubt anyone who went to E for All was there.

I want Ike to be better, but I'm going to be skeptical about the whole thing.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
In case you haven't heard, official word from one of our own who went to WHobby is that Ike's still slow, but not cripplingly slow thanks to the removal of invisi-lag (and he's like, the strongest character in the game easy). Also says his recovery isn't terrible anymore (although not awesome) because Side B goes a lot farther now.

Hellbeing

Smash Journeyman
Lumberheart don't take it personally, these people on the forums just don't like to be wrong, and will believe what they hear till the person that told them what they heard tells them otherwise. In laymens terms, once an admin tells them ike doesnt suck, they will believe. If an admin doesnt tell them, then they will forevermore think ike sucks.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Lumberheart don't take it personally, these people on the forums just don't like to be wrong, and will believe what they hear till the person that told them what they heard tells them otherwise. In laymens terms, once an admin tells them ike doesnt suck, they will believe. If an admin doesnt tell them, then they will forevermore think ike sucks.
It's not just the forums, it's about 99.9% of human society today. Everyone never admits their mistakes nor think they are every wrong, everyone is shallow; humans overall just suck.

With the confirmed 'invi-lag' gone for Ike, guess it does mean he is slightly faster in attacks. Just don't expect him to do any single-target combos.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
What I expect is that he can land massive hits without getting a fist in the crotch. I wonder how much faster Eruption is. Probably won't be used much anyway?
Eruption from what I understand is one of Ike's best moves, currently. Has longer range and higher power than a Shield Breaker/Flare Blade but works in the same manner, except that you can hit people on both sides with it. And as stated, is one of his fastest moves.

It seems like the only cripplingly slow moves Ike still has (as opposed to just being kinda slow) are his aerial attacks. However, it does look like that Peach player who was giving impressions said that Ike's up A aerial (the helicopter swing) is pretty good, and quite strong (even though he trashed Ike and DK, probably because of said fact that the guy was in all likelihood a Peach player). :laugh:

sheikattack

Smash Cadet
True, I see what you mean about the Fox like dash. That could be to componsate for the lack of horizontal recovery from Aether. Aether reminds me of Kirby's up B.

Wow, like no one would see that coming and spot dodge. -_-

This move has bad ending lag if it's blocked / hit. But I wouldn't use this beyond tech chase. If Ike's grabs aren't good enough, he won't be able to do much.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i heard it was a spike i hope it is thad be awesome and thad would work kips b/c of the new grabbing the ledge backwards thing

Kips

Smash Ace
Wait, grabbing the ledge backwards!? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the Cape?

It seems like it might be, while Eruption might be interesting for charging up and then releasing once they hit the ground/ledge. Blows them right off.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
Wait, grabbing the ledge backwards!? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the Cape?

It seems like it might be, while Eruption might be interesting for charging up and then releasing once they hit the ground/ledge. Blows them right off.
Yeah, you can grab the ledge backwards in Brawl. Sucks for Mario users who loved reversing folks to take them out. :laugh:

It seems Eruption will be a good edgeguarding technique, from what people are saying at WHobby.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Nice to put some thought into it, but if Aether was actually used for edge-recovery?

With the built-in-spike as Ike brings the sword down with him, is it some sort of anti-meteor-smash or spike attack? If the opponent messes up the slightest in trying to force Ike to miss during Aether, he or she would get seriously owned.

Kips

Smash Ace
Well the cape will still be useful if you reverse the momentum of someones recovery so they can't be close enough to grab it in the first place. Also, awesome! Eruption looks really fun to use by now and I hope you can really fry someone with it. Fire-wielding plumbers got nothing on a sword-wielding, volcanic-eruption causing tough guy like Ike.

As to the anti-spike attack, perhaps Ike will bounce up if he hits someone in the air. Otherwise if you weren't over the edge you'd just fall to your death after spiking your opponent, following after them. While that's good for making sure you finish the job, it's not so good to trade stocks recklessly.

emblem pride

Smash Journeyman
Just remember that anythng is possible in brawl. I mean how many of you laughed when people suggested snake as a playable character, yeah we saw were that went...

Althalus89

Smash Cadet
Well this one move won't change very much, since you won't be able to combo that much with it I don't think it would make difference even if it was faster than Fox Illusion with no lagging time watsoever. It's simply because Ike is still to slow to perform combos after it, he might get a chance with one more attack efter doing this move but the thing is that ventually your opponent will know when you're at the right distance so he'll simply shield then perform either an attack or grab while u just ended the move. In fact you're probably left more wide open against those who aren't complete and utterly noobs.

Kips

Smash Ace
Still, the fact that the Ranger Critical can quickly move foward will help Ike gain space. Right now it seems that Ike has some good movement speed but he needs that space to work without having to get jabbed out without any super armor. Thus Ranger Critical and Counter let him gain this neccesary void to land his powerful 1-Shots.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
New videos show he is faster than Bowser and a little faster than Gannon. I've seen no issues with FS activation (there is one where he got all 3 people at once).

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
A little faster than Ganon? Ganon is really effin slow... Ike totally beats him in the speed category.

To me Ike looks slow... but nothing crippling

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
New videos show he is faster than Bowser and a little faster than Gannon. I've seen no issues with FS activation (there is one where he got all 3 people at once).
Ike's MUCH faster than Ganondorf. His aerials are almost as slow but the rest of his attacks and his movement speed are far higher.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
if u do aether right by the edge for edgeguarding u spike em and u grab the edge (this what u guys r talking about right?)

Top Bottom