• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike isn't as slow as people thought he was...

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Everyone doesn't like a slow character. No matter how powerful they are, making them your main is usually exhausting to do since their speed is what causes others to have the main hand.

In a new twisted event, Ike, a powerhouse, turns out to be "slow" from what he is seen as from both the public and Sakurai himself.

Ike isn't necessarily slow though. I saw a video and he kind of has his own version of Fox's speedy dash attack. This attack seem like its the best to do on a flat or big stage and used as a good way to get back to the stage if your knocked off.

Ike is potent in that with his combinations seen so far, speed can be used with a powerhouse bastion. (I'm saying he is someone who can move while unleashing strong forceful attacks while also being able to guard himself really well)

He really is well balanced. Go Sakurai! You made Ike not as unwanted as a lot of people first thought.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo80FYEzExA

:034:

Smash Hero
Yar, that's his forward B. It looks like it's one of the fastest in his arsenal, but to say he's completly balanced because of one move...

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
People who went to E for all say you can't judge Ike's speed based on the videos. Also some of the pros who tried him main Ganon and Bowser, they know what to look for when it comes to speed.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
One move can fix a whole character. What would Fox be like in Melee without his Shine?
A fast character that can juggle .... without Shine.

Once move DOES NOT fix a character.... It is a lot of how the user can balance the slow moves with the fast moves and pull off combos. Ike is going to need a bit more speedy attacks to accomplish a lot.

I am not an Ike hater... i am a future Ike main

ZaeYeL

Smash Cadet
you're going to have to do a lot of predicting to even pull of this move, see the lag isnt visible in the videos, its the delay lag from hitting the button and anything on the screen of ike responding.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
Delay lags shouldn't be there though, its most likely a bug from the demo. I can't see a character being made with a delay lag purposefully.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
this topic is so desperate it makes me sad.

as far as the whole "one move can make a character" vs "one move can HELP a character a lot"

one move cannot make a character, i'm sorry, it's not possible. one move CAN dramatically help a character (bowser without fortress is a piece of garbage and easily the worst character in smash, and peach without down smash isn't nearly as threatening in that game) but a move like the one you've shown isn't even really taht good.

its really obvious when its coming, its got a slow start up, it would be like spamming fox's illusion as somebody above me said.

this move is decently strong, but it doesn't seem reasonable that you can combo into it, and its defintely not fast enough to be a "get off me" type move

i dont know what you are trying to prove here. ike moves quickly horizontally when he uses this attack but has lots of startup and lots of ending lag.

iwantbrawl2

Smash Rookie
In the videos ive seen, ike seems to be only slightly slower than mario. But then again maybe those people were just good with heavies

Wrath`

Smash Master
who should I belive Videos OR people who have played as ike
simple choice, but look game has not even come out, i am sure he has a glitche that gives him sonics speed..........................:psycho:

iron blade

Smash Ace
His moves have a lot of startup lag, but they hit VERY hard and execute pretty quick once you get past the startup. He doesn't have a lot of ending lag.

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
One move doesn't make a character faster :]

Seriously though, if you think a phantasm-esque attack can make Ike faster, you probably aren't very good at this game.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Does anyone know if Ike's speed was changed in the Jump Demo?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
k i'll give you till 6, thats like 2 and a half hours just to get here

see you soon man

anyways, back on topic. ike is really slow, videos and what not make the whole game look faster than it is

Gundo

Smash Apprentice
Ike may be slow. But He's strong and has flashy moves. Just because Ike is slow, doesn't mean he won't be good. But in the end, I suppose it's whatever your playing/Brawling style is in the end.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm not saying Ike won't be playable in any way, but I think most of you are missing what Gimpyfish is even saying. The moves we see in the demo look slow. But we aren't seeing the whole picture, in reality they are VERY SLOW because the move doesn't even start till a little while after the person hits the buttons to execute the move. We can't even say how laggy he is until we actually play with him.

P.S.- Gimpyfish would it be possible to face ur Bowser online a little while after Brawl comes out? I've wanted to play you since I saw some of your YouTube videos ;)

Wrath`

Smash Master
Well scinse Ike's move are slow starting just execute your moves ealyer than normal, problem solved right?

Ferret

Smash Cadet
Well scinse Ike's move are slow starting just execute your moves ealyer than normal, problem solved right?
öööhm...no^^'
your opponent can see through your attacks--> dodge-->punish you and that's it.
even if it is that easy there's still the lag after the attack which limits his combo abbility and that alone is a significant disadvantadge...

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well if ike slower when actully playing rather than watching vids isnt it true for every other chatacter

and that lag were ike does absolutly nothing then he atks im sure that was a bug if not this gona be one f***ed up game

IKE FOR GOD TIER XD

iLink

Smash Champion
Ok this is how it seems ike is going to play

-Ike starts up forward smash
-Fox notices the start up, rolls behind him
-Fox chain grabs ike to death
-Ike DI's out of the grabs
-Ike starts up forward B
-Fox sees start up and side steps
-Fox forward smashes ike off stage
-Ike's up B fails
-Match over

Ike wouldn't be as bad if his start up for his attacks didn't suck.

Top Bottom