• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike isn't as slow as people thought he was...

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
well why doest ike use f tilt

everybody says ike is slow just b/c of his f smash

u must be a newb if u think a player is going to approach with an f smash

ikes f tilt is not going to be slower then other characters f smash idc what anyone say unless they show me proof

IKE FOR GOD TIER XD

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
who says everyone thinks ike is slow because of his fsmash? i say he's slow because pretty much every move he has is horrendously slow and theres no way you could possibly combo into any of them.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
im sure it possible to win a match without having to combo

so gimpy everyone of his atks are terrible slow? even his f tilt is slower then other characters smash atks?

by the way gimpy do you have a Wii and if so whats your friend code i want at least one of every characater and someone good

and after watching a lot of matches im convinced your the best bowser id not dont worry bout it

IKE FOR GOD TIERXD

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think the point is more Ike isn't physically slow, his actual movement speed itself doesn't seem bad from what I can see. But there is a large amount of lag between his attacks both starting and ending which kind of makes it hard to do anything in particular. Whether there is some way around this issue or maybe changes since E4All at this point nothing can really be said other then what is already know.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
im sure it possible to win a match without having to combo

so gimpy everyone of his atks are terrible slow? even his f tilt is slower then other characters smash atks?

by the way gimpy do you have a Wii and if so whats your friend code i want at least one of every characater and someone good

and after watching a lot of matches im convinced your the best bowser id not dont worry bout it

IKE FOR GOD TIERXD
Haha. Me, you, and everyone else wants to play Gimpy cause he is just so popular :chuckle:. I think Gimpy's friendlist is just gonna be full full full. Just so you know though, you use a special Brawl friend code, not the Wii #.

spindash

Smash Ace
i'm not joking, roy is terrible
You really are just comparing Roy to Marth. If we take those two, then Roy truly is a failure. But otherwise, the character's a good contender in his own right when used correctly; the tiers are one thing to determine most matches, the players that use them is something else. I mean, yeah. XD While he relies too heavily on the F-Smash for his kills, the set up of down-a followed by the F-Smash is so handy on most characters. Otherwise, yeah. Not the best material.

-----

Just had to say that before I jump back on the Ike bandwagon for the topic. Ike's an interesting character and a lack of speed didn't stop the Bowser users. Sooner or later, someone's going to find a way to do nothing but **** with Ike.

Taj and his Mewtwo are the only proof you need that even if you're on the bottom, you can always get to the top. That's what I believe.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
i'm not comparing roy to marth, roy is just a horrible character.

anyways, ike is slow and the rest

just to give you guys a bit of relief though...

the new physics in brawl may seriously work to ike's advantage.

due to peoples mobility being limited in the air it seems like it would likely be easier to land ike's slower but more powerful moves through retreating short hops among other techniques.

Ike is not a combo oriented character from what I've seen, but in all honesty he should be fine depending on how the final game comes out. He only needs a few hits to get his kills, and the physics seem to be favorable for his style of play moreso than melee would be for this style of play.

Reno-Vgas

Smash Cadet
i'm not comparing roy to marth, roy is just a horrible character.

anyways, ike is slow and the rest

just to give you guys a bit of relief though...

the new physics in brawl may seriously work to ike's advantage.

due to peoples mobility being limited in the air it seems like it would likely be easier to land ike's slower but more powerful moves through retreating short hops among other techniques.

Ike is not a combo oriented character from what I've seen, but in all honesty he should be fine depending on how the final game comes out. He only needs a few hits to get his kills, and the physics seem to be favorable for his style of play moreso than melee would be for this style of play.
I remember you saying that Ike isnt the new ganon, but he has a very similar aspect that ganon does in FFA, they both make up Strength > Speed because of multiple people in one area.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
in FFA ike has to be a backstabber and atk while everyone else is busy

i no wii friend codes r diif then brawl codes its just for future reference

and i want to play gimpy b/c hebis dedicated to smash and i dont have a wii code for a boozer

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Since Ike has counter, using that sparingly should work to his advantage, unless even THAT is slow. Things don't look good for Ike at the moment what with a terrible vertical recovery move and crippling speed, but if he has enough super armor in enough moves he probably will be the one doing the pressuring.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
he does have his side b to recover but still
im sure ikes counter is slow, how can it be slow?
ike atk speed is slow not
just ike only his atk speed

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
More then anything I don't think tactics for a character like Ike can be determined until some more playing around has been done.

Hard to say really.

veil222

Smash Journeyman
The physics of the game will determine if Ike is playable moreso that his moveset and stats themselves. In melee, everything Ike is would be absolute bottom teir, some fox, falco, sheik, or marth would trump him with sheer speed. In melee, speed is what makes a character good (or at least high teir) the rest is the player (mindgames and such). It seems in brawl gameplay is shifting a bit, most likely the pace is going to slow down, so speed won't matter quite so much, potentially bringing characters closer together as far as balance in concerned. Just my ideas on the matter though.

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
there is a general brawl discussion called jumpfesta in japan or something and one of the traslations were "ike and kirby got tweaked and they are good to main"
im gona creme my pants ike got buffs?

check the thread out its starting to develop also tons of other info

Torchik

Smash Ace
I wish Sothe were playable. A quick thief that duel-wielded knives would be cool. Micaiah should have been an AT. Of course, does this raise Micaiah's chances of being playable, or does it lower her chance of being in the game? >.>

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i only want sword wielders id hate it if miciaha was in but it doesnt matter i will main ike

Torchik

Smash Ace
Awwww, I like Micaiah... =( To many sword weilders would be bad, we need some other types. Like lance, knife, or axe weilding characters. Maybe Hector or Nephenee (although I doubt it).

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
lance would be ridiculus i can already hear people complain9ng bou the range

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Didn't some people say he wasn't supposed to be that slow in the E for All demo?

Apparently his huge startup lag wasn't as prevalent at the Jump Festa demo...

I don't know how true this is though...

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
ike supposedly got buffs since e4all
a translation from jumpfesta forums say that
less start up, weaker, faster

like ganon but not really still the most powerful smash character

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
Delay lags shouldn't be there though, its most likely a bug from the demo. I can't see a character being made with a delay lag purposefully.
Maybe the hidden lag could be used to make it harder to know when Ike is going to attack? Think about it, if you can't see half of his lag, how do you know whether he's attacking or not until it's just about to hit? How will you even know what the attack is until you've got about half a second to move? It also seems to do a good job of fooling people into thinking he's faster than he is...

Personally, I'd be a tad wary of approaching this guy when I don't know whether him standing there means he's about to F-smash me off the screen, up-tilt me into some kind of juggle combo, or he's just standing there to mess with me >_>

Torchik

Smash Ace
The hidden lag adds extra time to the ALREADY long move. So if someone tried to do an f-smash, it would wait for a half a sec, then he would start animation. His animations take a while, so people could dodge out of the way, even with the hidden lag.

Tingle_Stole_My_Pants

Smash Apprentice
The hidden lag adds extra time to the ALREADY long move. So if someone tried to do an f-smash, it would wait for a half a sec, then he would start animation. His animations take a while, so people could dodge out of the way, even with the hidden lag.
I meant what if it was ONLY hidden lag, and they just shortened the visible part?

Are people sure that the lag thing was a bug? That would be frustrating if the only reason he was so slow was because of some glitch... I wonder how the E4All would have gone if they had caught that? (provided it was really a glitch, and not intentional?)

Come to think of it, how could they not have known?

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I meant what if it was ONLY hidden lag, and they just shortened the visible part?

Are people sure that the lag thing was a bug? That would be frustrating if the only reason he was so slow was because of some glitch... I wonder how the E4All would have gone if they had caught that? (provided it was really a glitch, and not intentional?)

Come to think of it, how could they not have known?
I think you guys are desperately reading into this too much... >_>

Top Bottom