• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
Some characters were bound to get cut, it just turns out the Ice Climbers were the unlucky ones. I'm not mad at their removal as I should be though, because the rest of the roster looks incredible.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Wolf, Lucas, and The Ice Climbers were all in my top 10 favorite characters in Brawl, so it's a shame to see them cut, but the Ice Climbers is especially painful. They were so unique and I had a blast playing as them.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Well, since it seems like they're gone, it sucks.
Still, though, you never know what Nintendo might do with DLC. Especially with the MK8 DLC recently, hope may remain.

I must say that despite some disappointment, I can't really complain. My top 5 mains made it, so I guess I should be grateful in that regard.
Still, all the Ice Climbers fans shouldn't get too worked up just yet. Send your complaints to Sakurai and he might pay attention.

EDIT: Also, since I'm curious, how did people first react to the Brawl roster?

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Get. The heck. Outta here. It's guaranteed that if they don't make it in the final roster and if DLC is a thing, they'll be DLC. But we're not going to have to worry about that problem, since they'll already be in the game initially. "You won't have to hear about people complaining about their stupid chain grab." OK, let's hypothetically say they're cut. 1. Ya sure, but is that really an upside when the downside is they're COMPLETELY CUT?!?!?! (Which they won't be, mind you). 2. Chaingrabbing can easily be removed. Now please, leave this thread, and go to another one. Or, start your own thread called "Idiots of Smash Inc.". :)
I don't know about that. I wouldn't be too sure that they're going to be in initially if thinking logically. The reason they were cut was because of 3DS hardware limitations (Sakurai said there was difficulty implementing them before), and Sakurai tried and failed to deal with them. This pretty much means they will never make it in as DLC, so I guess you're going to have to wait until Smash 5 to play as them :)

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
A roster without the Ice Climbers just feels so weird to me. They've been a part of Smash for over a decade.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, this is the only omission that truly upsets me. With K. Rool and Chorus Kids, I never had the chance to play as them, so it didn't affect me as much. Icies though...

I'm just hoping that between now and the Wii U release, they solve the issue, make the Ice Climbers starters on the Wii U version, and have them as free DLC for the 3DS. That's their only hope.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I don't know about that. I wouldn't be too sure that they're going to be in initially if thinking logically. The reason they were cut was because of 3DS hardware limitations (Sakurai said there was difficulty implementing them before), and Sakurai tried and failed to deal with them. This pretty much means they will never make it in as DLC, so I guess you're going to have to wait until Smash 5 to play as them :)
Was the difficulty in their dual person mechanic, or their chaingrab problem is the question we should be asking.

R0Y

Smash Master
What does this mean?
It means this:

I showed good evidence straight from the man himself, implying that they were attempted at one point but it was too hard for the 3DS. You have no evidence that it was nearly as challenging on GC as it is on 3DS.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
It means this:

I showed good evidence straight from the man himself, implying that they were attempted at one point but it was too hard for the 3DS. You have no evidence that it was nearly as challenging on GC as it is on 3DS.
Technically not true.

There's no actual quote of Sakurai saying it.

Just IGN saying that Sakurai said something about characters that involve multiple characters.

Which could have been referencing transformations/tag-teams and not actually Ice Climbers. They just said Ice Climbers since they were the only actual duo that was on-screen.

Not saying they weren't a problem. Tons of theorized reasons that hold weight cropped up as people thought about it.

But there is no evidence that Sakurai himself ever mentioned Ice Climbers.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers are so nostalgic to me. I never used them much but Smash will be way too strange without them. :(

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Guys if you want your two time vet back we are gonna have to show sakurai, Nintendo and namco bandai how much we want them. Bombard their twitters and emails with your complaints and DLC requests it the only way to accomplish anything.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'm truly astounded by Sakurai's lack of effort. It just seems like he spent more of his development time on filler characters rather than actual characters like Ice Climbers. The fact he straight out said in an interview a year ago they were a technical challenge, would lead people to believe he had plenty of time to come up with a solultion for them. Did he just scrap them immediately as soon he realized they caused issues on 3DS? Or did he actually try to fix them but in the end gave up? Either way, this downright proves the ongoing myth that the 3DS version is holding the Wii U version back true. As much as i wanted to not believe it, i had FAITH in Sakurai. And he let me down. Because of this, we won't see our Popo and Nana in glorious 1080p HD on Wii U, just because the 3DS could not grasp them. It's the most unfair character cut we've ever had in a Smash game.

Really, the moment Sakurai wrote down the blasphemous rule "Both versions will have equal rosters" this game was doomed.

Will Ice Climbers be DLC? Who knows, but they are by far the most deserving character for that as of now. Because of the backstory of their removal. It depends if Sakurai really decides to make them exclusive to New 3DS and Wii U. I don't see it happening now, but god damn do i want it to happen.

But for now, i'm out. It's been fun guys, you were great people and we lost a great character because of a ridiculous reason. Only thing we can do now is vouch for future DLC, but untill then,

I'm out.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Still not convinced on this. Not till Nintendo confirms/deconfirms them. Other than that, I'm going to get a lot of hate comments by those of you who believe this is the end of the roster so this is what I leave you guys with for a while:

If this roster is indeed the complete roster, and none of the cut veterans on the 3DS are in the Wii U version, THIS. ROSTER. SUCKS. And honestly, even with R.O.B., G&W, and all the newcomers in there, it's still the worst roster in Smash history in my opinion. Too many unique cuts, and the 3DS sucks. Nintendo shoulda only made this for the Wii U. Nintendo should not EVER put another Smash game on a handheld unless that handheld's capabilities are greatly increased. And this still only assuming if the leak is true.

Until next time (probably will be a while), I'm outta here.

I hate the 3DS version. I dunno how but I knew from the start it would ruin everything.

Last edited:

DecaHibiki

Smash Apprentice
So... It's over... Oficially 3 of my 4 mains (IC, wolf and Lucas) didnt make it, I hope IC to be exclusive sakurai saying that for 3ds problems they are gonna be only in wiiU or something like that... (I dont think so) or DLC, Damn 5-6 years without them i hate 3DS version....

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
If there was a technical problem Sakurai could've just implemented Popo... They each were separate in the actual Ice Climber, so I never understood why they were a tag team in the first place. It's the exact same situation as Mario and Luigi, except that they had more games.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
The Descent - An ICs Flash Fiction

And Nana said, "I would have done anything for you."
To which Popo replied in agreement, "Everything I did, I did for you."

Both climbers were left to wonder what death was, how it felt, what it meant. Rather than the flash of fire indicating a lost stock, this death would be a descent into the cold nothingness that even their parkas would not be able to stand. From the coldness of being left out of the next game, there would be no warmth of the halo platform, glowing with the redeeming vibrance of life anew.

As the end approached, Nana broke the silence, "At least here at the end, we can die at each others' side. That has to mean something."

Having seen her die before him a thousand stocks over, Popo finished the thought, "What ought to mean more is the life. Without you I was low tier. But together at each others' side? Like no other character could ever understand, we truly lived."

That locked eyes one last time, nodding their approval of each other. "Shall we then?" one of the climbers said.

In one last act of defiance against the powers that be, Popo grabbed Nana by the rope and launched her onward into the night. Nana in turn, pulled on the rope sending Popo onward into the night and into the wonderful, icy nothingness that awaited. And in this last belay, there was no finality of a ledge to grab, but in its beauty there was no final descent into the fiery Hell of the blast zone.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
you know what they could have done, just made popo a stand a lone fighter, and nana a alt, like alph is to olimar or the kopalings to bowser jr

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Thanks Sakurai.
First mewtwo now Ice Climbers. Are mr game and watch and megaman next?
Why is it not possible for my mains to stay in the game?

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
The Descent - An ICs Flash Fiction

And Nana said, "I would have done anything for you."
To which Popo replied in agreement, "Everything I did, I did for you."

Both climbers were left to wonder what death was, how it felt, what it meant. Rather than the flash of fire indicating a lost stock, this death would be a descent into the cold nothingness that even their parkas would not be able to stand. From the coldness of being left out of the next game, there would be no warmth of the halo platform, glowing with the redeeming vibrance of life anew.

As the end approached, Nana broke the silence, "At least here at the end, we can die at each others' side. That has to mean something."

Having seen her die before him a thousand stocks over, Popo finished the thought, "What ought to mean more is the life. Without you I was low tier. But together at each others' side? Like no other character could ever understand, we truly lived."

That locked eyes one last time, nodding their approval of each other. "Shall we then?" one of the climbers said.

In one last act of defiance against the powers that be, Popo grabbed Nana by the rope and launched her onward into the night. Nana in turn, pulled on the rope sending Popo onward into the night and into the wonderful, icy nothingness that awaited. And in this last belay, there was no finality of a ledge to grab, but in its beauty there was no final descent into the fiery Hell of the blast zone.
That is deep.

Top Bottom