• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Got Brawl....brought It Home....and Got A Disc Error! Help!

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
It's probably a dirty disc error, like others said it's from having a dirty disk or dirt on the disk lasor. It doesn't matter if every other Wii game and gamecube game will work. Brawl simply won't because it's dual layered and more venerable to those sort of things.

In short, clean your disk lasor or send your Wii in to Nintendo to get it done. Don't smoke around your Wii either as thats the #1 cause of the error.

Azureliske

Smash Rookie
There's more than likely nothing wrong with the copy of Brawl. I work for Best Buy and we were issued an employee news item on 3/7/08 that contained a letter from nintendo. The letter states that they believe a small portion of consumers will have issues with the Brawl disc being readable because it is dual layered, and if the lens is even slightly dirty, it can cause issues getting the disc to read correctly. Nintendo claims both dust and smoke can cause the lens to become dirty. We were told to copy the letter and present it to anyone returning the game after it is released on sunday. Nintendo is actually going to offer to clean Wiis having this problem for free, and had a phone number listed. I'll try and bring a copy of the letter home today so I can get you folks the contact information and phone number.

startoonhero

Smash Apprentice
sigh, this is my biggest fear, becuz after attempting to mod my wii. my wii has been acting up, and i heard that opening up your wii also adds dust to the lens. it only makes sense, i just pray that itll load.. oh god please load.. LOL

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I haven't smoked in my room for months so hopefully My wii isn't gonna be ****ed up. If anything this thread has instilled blind panic in me.

Well apparently if it is a dirty wii then you can send it to nintendo with it's warranty and they'll clean it. ADVICE: Find another Wii & check if it works.

Azureliske

Smash Rookie
I haven't smoked in my room for months so hopefully My wii isn't gonna be ****ed up. If anything this thread has instilled blind panic in me.

Well apparently if it is a dirty wii then you can send it to nintendo with it's warranty and they'll clean it. ADVICE: Find another Wii & check if it works.
The letter from nintendo did not state it was required to be within the warranty period for the cleaning to be free. Hopefully this means what it implies.

fuzzy4

Smash Cadet
Me and my friend bought one from this "Battlegrounds" store in my neighborhood. I live on Long Island and he claimed they were the only place on Long Island to have the game this early. They even had 2 TV's with Brawl on it. We played it for 45 minutes, and then made him an offer on one of the 2 games he had left which he claimed he was saving for a raffle. He eventually sold it to us.....we bugged out...couldn't believe we had it.....only to go home and find out it didn't f*cking work.

Has anyone had this happen? What do we do? Do you think we can just clean it and fix it, or are we screwed until tomorrow? (The place has been closed since 11pm) Every other game works on my Wii. Is there something else than can be wrong?

Also hope this doesn't mean that there's gonna be a bunch of buggy copies out there after tomorrow.
Disc Error usually means there's something wrong with your Wii. I had the problem with my Zelda game, and had to replace my Wii. Read the manual, you can also call nintendo support, but they can usually easily fix the problem. It doesn't sound like its your game.

Old Man Nintendo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilentMage
Switch FC
6429-6879-3474
If Brawl won't read because of a slightly dusty interior (of the Wii), does that mean you could resolve the problem yourself by using a can of compressed air inside of the Wii (sticking the nossle past the DVD entry point and spray in bursts)?

Just curious if anyone tried that if dust was indeed the culprit.

~Old Man Nintendo

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
Now this has got me worried that my Wii won't be able to read the disc... I had a somewhat dirty copy of Metroid Prime 3 in there for awhile...

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I hope my Wii can read it...I haven't used it in awhile, but I never smoked and no one around me has...*afraid*

M.K

Level 55
I don't smoke, and I don't EVER plan to start (Smoking...eww...)
I don't think I should have much trouble.

cynar

Smash Apprentice
Try using a can of compressed air. Really though, you should not be smoking(cigs, pot etc) around any products that have a laser lens.

firebird34

Smash Apprentice
Surgeon General Warning Well now that Brawls out I suggest now more than ever to quit smoking before you ruin this awesome game.

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice
Well, I've smoked pot a few times in my room....but nothing where it's fogging the entire area around the Wii. Not to mention, like I said, every other games work. Including Melee, ironically.

This is bad karma. The price we pay for trying to cheat and play Brawl early. We were so scepticle going into it too. This is the first time I ever even went into this store. We were just going in to see if they had any Brawl tourneys planned and even joked about how funny it would be if they had it already.
YOU NOT HUNGRY FOR POT, YOU HUNGRY FOR HOT POCKETS!!!!!

no seriously though smoking pot is a good way to damage your wii

hectichobo

Smash Ace
If Brawl won't read because of a slightly dusty interior (of the Wii), does that mean you could resolve the problem yourself by using a can of compressed air inside of the Wii (sticking the nossle past the DVD entry point and spray in bursts)?

Just curious if anyone tried that if dust was indeed the culprit.

~Old Man Nintendo
It probably would work. I fixxed my PS2 and My Friends by doing that....

IGN Forums

Smash Journeyman
first of all you shouldn't smoke next to your wii, playing SSBB! And all the games that comes out early are the one's that are broken and have errors!! There was a lot of reports on that!

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
I think I'll be safe.

I only use it every once in a while. I never smoke, and nobody in my family does. Never modded my Wii. :D

I think I'll hopefully be safe...

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
lawl.... nintendo hasnt been thinking ahead lately... they made ppl mad by delaying smash... and now making ppl mad by putting smash on a dual-layerd disc... making it impossible to be read by wii's that are old or have ppl who smoke around them.

WHAT?!?! ;_;

Don't tell me that if I got my Wii from launch, I can't play it! :(

sirmackerel

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'll be picking up a can of compressed air with my copy of my Brawl tonight.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried updating your wii? Brawl won't play without the newest update...

Jael Irish

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'll be picking up a can of compressed air with my copy of my Brawl tonight.
I don't think you'll be the only one. Nintendo should have bundle packed a small can just for this purpose. Oh well, stock on canned air is gonna rise a few points after this weekend.

(Quoted directly from another forum, about that page)

Its nothing, and has already been reported on Kotaku. It actually affected my Wii. Insert disk, forces firmware upgrade, afterwards the Wii wont read the disk. Power off Wii, power up again, disk is read fine.

Yeah, what jools said. The second page tells you to:
1) Hold the power button for 4 seconds until the power LED turns red.
2) Press the eject button to remove the disk.
3) Reinsert the disk.
4) If the disk channel then shows the SSBB logo, you're good to go.

http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24965

http://translate.google.com/transla...=http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rsbj/info.html

shyguyty

Smash Rookie
That sucks man

It could be the same issue people in Japan were having with their disc reader being covered by dust etc. If you know a safe way to open up your wii and clean the reader I'd suggest that. I have no idea about how, or even if it's possible though.

blooagga

Smash Journeyman
LOL I can see nintendo programming the wii

`environmental help
If player = smoke joint
then deprive of brawl
lul

xl Lan lx

Smash Apprentice
To the guy whoever said that Brawl won't work on original systems...

IF you get the current update, shouldn't it work? I mean, even if Nintendo was stupid, I doubt they'd be that stupid.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Since he hasn't posted in a while, he either:

*Killed himself
*Went to go get more pot
*Got Brawl working
*Got a visit from the irish mafia

Top Bottom