• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I found this over at BC

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure they would advertise something as big as DLC when the game is coming out so soon. Not just be cryptic on internet message boards.

DLC is more of a selling point, rather than just extra cash-ins. I'm sure they would rather blatantly say "Hey, you may be getting more than you think if you buy this game. Possibilities are endless man!"

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
I'm very confident that this person is a fake... he just seems like the usual prophet that just wants to manipulate the masses with his wishful thinking. I mean, I'm sure a gigantic trade secret like this wouldn't get leaked onto the internet so easily, especially a forum like Brawl Central... NeoGAF and IGN maybe, but Brawl Central?

Ok, let's just assume this guy is true for a small moment of time and that there really are going to be more characters in Brawl at a later date. HOWEVER, this leaker has taken great care to mention that these characters will NOT be delivered by downloadable content. Considering how popular and easy DC is from the rival developer's point of view, how could Nintendo deliver these characters? What kind of technology is this man proposing that's so different?

I've given it a small bit of thought and there's really only 3 things that can be done, from my perception on what Nintendo is capable of at the moment.

1. Expansion Pack?
This isn't new or revolutionary at all, but it's the safest bet anyone can make since DC is out of the equation. It's not exactly unheard of for consoles to get expansion packs, haven't any of you heard of the Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack? That worked pretty well for Bungie.

I dunno how the previously mentioned pack works, but considering the Wii's hardware, I'll go with firedragon_jing's idea that there could be specialized SD cards, since that seems like a stroke of genius. You could just buy a Brawl card, and then during the boot-up sequence, Brawl would detect if you have the special card or not, and unlock things from there. I suppose you'd also be tagged so you could only play Wi-Fi with other players who have these cards, to prevent any major mishaps.

2. Timed Release?
"Timed release? But this isn't new or revolutionary at all!" I hear you cry.

You're right, but it would be a very sneaky method of Nintendo to inject new leases of life into their game by just locking up content entirely until a couple of months later, maybe on certain key dates. The only problem is, the game has apparently already been ripped and from what we can see, some of the 'cut' characters already have separate trophies of their own, and this leaker buddy of ours said new characters would have had no real mention before coming into the Brawl.

You can't say it's completely debunked though, since Nintendo could have just renamed those files on purpose, because they knew someone would try to leak Brawl info by ripping into the disk? You might say it's lazy of Nintendo to not try and protect their data, but there's always going to be one obsessive individual, so why not lead him astray?

3. A Different Kind of Downloadable Content?
Hahaha, what? Ok, just hear me out for a moment... if characters can't be installed by buying an expansion pack, or they aren't in the game already waiting to be unlocked by a certain date, how on earth can content be put into the game without downloading?

Well, what if the rival consoles have changed our definition of DC? I can't say I've put too much research into this, but from what I've seen every time someone talks about DC now, they are talking about purchasable packs from an online store. There could easily be other ways to download stuff into the game without going into the Wii's online store... maybe there will be a new channel, or maybe we'll just get them in plain updates, I haven't a clue. It's just a theory. The Wii hardware kinda kills this theory though, this person suggests a lot of content besides characters are waiting, but I doubt ANY of them will be that small.

As I've said at the top, I am more than confident that this person is just a fake, the above theories are just possible explanations of what he's proposing, I do not assume any of these are real, or will ever be. It would be for the best if we stopped giving this little goblin any attention and throw him to the side until Spring, like he says

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
hey remember there the GDC 08 is this weekend, and one of the subject their going to talk about is brawl
Hey, you're right! I forgot all about that little event. That could be a pretty decent time to reveal any sort of special super-secret content delivery system, since it is a Game Developer's Conference, after all... at the absolute best scenario, we could find out what this is all about as early as GDC '08! Well done for remembering that!

billywill

Smash Journeyman
i just hope he is right...if he is lying then ima get out my rusty pitchfork and torch

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
My possibility 4:

The Wii will be able to burn CDs!!! ZOMG!!! IT WILL ALTER THE GAME LOLZ!!!

Also, it could just be promotional bonus-downloads (meaning, no direct download content, but content that comes with certain games, like the Dr. Mario game for the Wii).

Or, the Firmware Update will do this shizzle to the dizzle nizzle nozzle for rozzle.

Luigi player

Smash Master
So that means maybe K. Rool has a chance, and Mewtwo will only be a custom for Lucario? What he's saying just sounds stupid. I wouldn't like any unkown stupid characters nobody cares about in Brawl.

Oh well, it sounds really fake anyway.

ninjitsian

Smash Rookie
My possibility 4:

Also, it could just be promotional bonus-downloads (meaning, no direct download content, but content that comes with certain games, like the Dr. Mario game for the Wii).

Or, the Firmware Update will do this "shizzle to the dizzle nizzle nozzle for rozzle".
kill yourself.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
My possibility 4:

Or, the Firmware Update will do this shizzle to the dizzle nizzle nozzle for rozzle.
You know, I was throwing about some of those theories myself while making my huge wall of text that I'll call a post... 'free gift' downloads aren't out of the ordinary either, and it would be a FANTASTIC money maker for Nintendo. I think Melee did a similar thing with some trophies, where you got trophies by having certain saves on your memory card. I'm surprised I forgot to mention this possibility in my post, since it's a pretty likely idea in comparison to some of the others I have thrown in.

I'm not so sure about the Wii burning CDs, though... :laugh:

So that means maybe K. Rool has a chance, and Mewtwo will only be a custom for Lucario? What he's saying just sounds stupid. I wouldn't like any unkown stupid characters nobody cares about in Brawl.

Oh well, it sounds really fake anyway.
I hate to break it to you, especially since I like K. Rool myself, but K. Rool already has a trophy in Brawl, and as this leaker has said, there are not going to be any playable characters who are currently trophies, ATs or bosses. Not only that, but Mewtwo has a trophy too, so if this guy is the real deal, this won't be too good for you.

Coming to think of it, quite a lot of popular requested characters already have trophies or other roles. The only ones I can think of at the moment who aren't in at all would be Claus, Sukapon, Takamaru and the usual 3d parties... I would be quite pleased with any of those characters, but as I have said this whole thing is more than likely fake.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Dixie, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Plusle and Minun, Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario all have Fighter data hidden on Brawl, which means they'd be the first to come if this rings true... don't you think?

Luigi player

Smash Master
well, that means nearly nobody is left to be added, because every possible character is a trophy.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Dixie, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Plusle and Minun, Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario all have Fighter data hidden on Brawl, which means they'd be the first to come if this rings true... don't you think?
There's a small problem with all of that little theory though... as I and the first post have already explained, this so-called leaker has mentioned that characters who are already represented by trophies, AT and/or bosses will not become playable characters in any future updates to Brawl.

Dixie, Plusle/Minun and Mewtwo have trophies.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't get this, first he says it's not a downloadble content system then he goes on to explain what sounds very much like a downloadble content system. :urg:

I wouldn't think there would be much problem making a playable character over a character that just got a normal trophy.....I mean you wouldn't be playing as a character and then the assist trophy version appears or you're fighting as the character fighting the boss as your character(Playable Ridely vs Ridley boss).

It would just be a trophy and wouldn't get in the way of a playable character of that trophy.

But it is possible they mean for future releases, new nintendo characters we have yet to find out about.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
Judging by the the "constant communication," it does sound like it basically has to be a rehash of Satelliview.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Actually, he only said ASSIST trophy, not trophy in general. He also clarified that these characters at most had an appearance as trophies, so no prominent role. This probably to avoid any conflicts in appearance.

So no Rayquaza, Gardevoire, Celebi, Mr. Resetti, Diglett, Metagross, Andross or Lakitu. King K. Rickrool is still a possibility though.

LeuMasT

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone look at the Dojo update today? It's worded very strangely.

Even after Super Smash Bros. Brawl goes public, there’ll be a bunch of Assist Trophies that haven’t been introduced yet.

I know it doesn't have to mean anything more than they haven't been put on the dojo, but the way he says it, it sounds like there's content in Brawl that literally is not yet public.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Midna isn't an assist trophy, as the assist trophy list has already been revealed. I do not remember if Midna is a normal trophy or not, but either way it doesn't affect her chances if this "leak" is true.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Actually, he only said ASSIST trophy, not trophy in general. He also clarified that these characters at most had an appearance as trophies, so no prominent role. This probably to avoid any conflicts in appearance.

So no Rayquaza, Gardevoire, Celebi, Mr. Resetti, Diglett, Metagross, Andross or Lakitu. King K. Rickrool is still a possibility though.
I'm not sure, he does actually talk about trophies when bringing up how characters that already have a presence in Brawl won't be included as additional playables... although this could have really been in addition to the fact these characters are already ATs and Bosses, since they all come in a collectable trophy form too.

2. Most of the characters to be released don't already exist in Brawl as an Assist Trophy, Boss, Trophy, etc.
You bring up some good points though, I wouldn't see why being a trophy rather early would be such a huge barrier... I never really saw the "most" part either the first time I read it, so even if it is a barrier for most, maybe some characters are high-profile enough to just be early trophies and then later playables anyway.

The thing is though, we'll never know until later, and that's what makes this guy more suspicious really. He's just as vague as every other leaker who was eventually proven wrong during the days when we didn't know the Smash lineup. I really wouldn't get my hopes up about anything this guy says.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
what I really don't get is, who on earth will be playable if absolutly no character that has a presence in brawl already be viable for this dlc or whatever it is.

Does Hakkun have a trophy(the fact most people won't have a clue who this is just shows the type of characters that would appear if what I said above was the case)

Google him, he's a cool character actually. :)

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Reading it again...I'm gonna call fake. The only reason to do something like this is to include a character like Ridley. He's been the "next in" for about the last 8 newcomers. Metroid, which sells in the billions, has three stages and only two reps. As Youko and SamuraiPanda and Buzz pointed out...there's something wrong with that, especially when you think about how dead series like Mother and Kirby have 2 and 3 reps, respectively.

If he's saying there isn't even the possibility of Ridley with this "new system" I'm calling fake. What characters could he possibly be referencing? Krystal, Geno, and Micaiah? I think not.

Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Reading it again...I'm gonna call fake. The only reason to do something like this is to include a character like Ridley. He's been the "next in" for about the last 8 newcomers. Metroid, which sells in the billions, has three stages and only two reps. As Youko and SamuraiPanda and Buzz pointed out...there's something wrong with that, especially when you think about how dead series like Mother and Kirby have 2 and 3 reps, respectively.

If he's saying there isn't even the possibility of Ridley with this "new system" I'm calling fake. What characters could he possibly be referencing? Krystal, Geno, and Micaiah? I think not.
its b/c nintendo of japan HATES samus and everything she stands for. NOA has poured tons of money into samus b/c America loves hawt chicks with guns lol

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Doc Mario, Mewtwo, Plusle & Minun, Toon Zelda.

its b/c nintendo of japan HATES samus and everything she stands for. NOA has poured tons of money into samus b/c America loves hawt chicks with guns lol
Most don't even know Samus is a chick, left alone hot.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
what I really don't get is, who on earth will be playable if absolutly no character that has a presence in brawl already be viable for this dlc or whatever it is.

Does Hakkun have a trophy(the fact most people won't have a clue who this is just shows the type of characters that would appear if what I said above was the case)

Google him, he's a cool character actually. :)
Well, as I've mentioned, Claus, Sukapon and Takamaru are good candidates. Those stick out to me strongly since they had pretty big followings around here and in other places, yet they haven't seen any love whatsoever in Brawl, besides stickers. It's a bit of a shame really.

Now, if the trophy list I'm reading is any indication, Hakkun does not have a trophy...

I've gotta say though, I really like the way you think. I've only just found about Hakkun now thanks to you, and he already seems like a really interesting character for Brawl. A little glass bird would be a pretty unique touch, and he seems like he has a lot of charm to him... also, he'd be a lot like ROB, in that he'd represent an angle of Nintendo that nobody would have ever considered before... the Satellaview. He was also a bit of a success in Japan it seems.

It's a shame all the people with the good ideas aren't at Nintendo.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Yeah but I don't think Sakurai uses the same logic we have, that's probably how we got a playable ROB.(by using his own logic)

I actually wouldn't put it past sakurai, but I won't be too sure of it either.

The Adder

Smash Apprentice
If this guy released any sort of information about such a program, he'd get fired, I have a friend who works in the video game industry, and if he says EVEN A WORD about the games he makes, he will get fired, he signed a contract which makes him keep his mouth shut.
Marketing people are above the rules that anyone else has to abide by, as long as they make the company money without getting them in legal trouble.

Having said that, I'm highly skeptical (for my own benefit).

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Yes, but Nintendo certainly loves making money. What better way to sell even more than to put in a recurring villain for a top series. Might I add that Starfox, Fire Emblem, Mother, and Kirby don't even make the top 50 list, while Metroid sits happily at 42. Might I also remind you that Smash among everything else is a advertisement for Nintendo. What better way to promote their various franchises than to have all of the main characters playable in a fighting game? It would just be ridiculous to add even more characters without first balancing out the Metroid reps.

Most don't even know Samus is a chick, left alone hot.
QFT

Yeah but I don't think Sakurai uses the same logic we have, that's probably how we got a playable ROB.(by using his own logic)

I actually wouldn't put it past sakurai, but I won't be too sure of it either.
I'm sure that Sakurai doesn't make all of the calls, though. I'm sure more than once he got out-ranked for a decision. I'm sure characters like Olimar got in because someone above him told him to put them in. As every said when the roster came out, etc. etc....Nintendo is trying to make money. It's silly to continue to promote dead franchises and give the shaft to ones that are making Nintendo millions and millions.

On a side note...Black Shadow didn't appear anywhere in the game yet did he?

S2

Smash Lord
There is very little backing for this claim

1.) Nintendo is a very tightly controlled company. And its Japanese, NoJ tightly controls what NoA can do.

Now this guy claims in his second post that he's not breaking a NDA, but that he's "allowed" to leak this. Yeah right.

Why would a Japanese company, which is highly secretive, allow a new employee in their foreign NoA branch leak big secrets about a game that isn't even released in that region yet?

2.) Everything he said is basically based on predictions in other threads. This is obviously a play on people's predictions already.

Even if this is true - Nintendo releasing a peripheral? Wow, didnt' see that coming. They do that for big games a lot. (E-Reader, etc).

STARMAN101

Smash Rookie
I'm really gonna laugh real hard if what he says it's true..., that way all the people that says he's lying will be nothin but speechless

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Tip: When some loony from a Video game specific website's forums with a generally small userbase says he works on Nintendo's marketing team and has for only a few months but is already involved in a time machine peripheral, don't believe it.
Nintendo already has developed time machines. Why else would they change Ridley's status from playable to boss? They knew we'd be pissed off. The biggest secret however is that they are secretly working on mobile armors.

Nintendo will blow away the competition.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Tip: When some loony from a Video game specific website's forums with a generally small userbase says he works on Nintendo's marketing team and has for only a few months but is already involved in a time machine peripheral, don't believe it.
hahaha! QFT!

Seriously, people, this is the same pile of trolls who were trying to get your hopes up for their own amusement BEFORE Brawl except now they're doing it AFTER Brawl by preying upon your disappointment.

Don't let them get you a SECOND time...

Top Bottom