• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How'd you choose your main?

GOLDENMOP

Smash Cadet
The way I chose my smash main was kind of a weird accident, but it was amazing
I was playing falco hardcore (not really) a while back and was trying to learn all of his cool advanced techniques, i thought I was big stuff and was really good at falco, eventually I came up to my friends house, which I could at the time easily beat him, and his brother was home and I thought I could beat him easy, and I got crushed, about a month later I realized something, I, Suck at Falco, so I gave up on him, thanks to the inspiration of Ken and KDJ though I started learning how to play as marth and my other friends brother was hosting a 2v2 tournament that was just a bunch of our friends, when I was maining marth, I was also second maining Captain Falcon, and when the tourney rolled around I thought I was going to use Marth for sure, but my friend was using him, and he had no other main, and I used falcon. And during that tournament, well, by the way I won, I realized something, captain falcon should be my new main, I beat my partner with him before the tourney started and I was starting to Learn him, so I started using him as a main and marth as a second main. And that was the story, it isn't the most intense ever, but It is the truth.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I started as Marth, awkwardly trying to figure out all this advanced game stuff. I gave up on him and settled on Fox. Fox is annoying to play, so I just picked a character I had fun playing, which ended up being Doc. I've played Doc since then.

RPGMakerFan

Smash Rookie
Originally (for Melee), I played Roy because his B attack was very powerful like Marth's B attack. Then by last year, I found out that Ness could heal himself by using PSI Magnet (the down B move) from ranged projectiles like Fox's laser or The Fire Flower's flame. Since then, I've used Ness a lot. To be honest, the first few years I played Melee I couldn't figure out what Ness' down B move did.

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
I play Roy 'cause he looks cool...That's it

Luwafer

Smash Cadet
Huge Zelda fan. Huge Ocarina of Time fan. Sheik was cool. I picked Sheik.
I'm starting to consider maining Zelda just for the fun of it, with Sheik as a trump card for those plentiful moments when Zelda just won't cut it.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
I used to main Luigi, whom I picked because he's simply one of my absolute favorite Nintendo characters. I later started playing Falcon as much as Luigi because I found his moveset more enjoyable. After playing some Falcon, I decided to get into the F-Zero series, which quickly became one of my favorite video game series ever. So the fact that I found his moveset more enjoyable and his games great ultimately caused me to make the switch.

Last edited:

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
I used to love Link when I didn't know anything about Melee's mechanics, such as tiers and tech. I would always bash Marth, Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach, Jigs because I didn't understand what made them good. I especially despised Pichu and Doc, because I felt that clone characters were stupid. This year when I finally went competitive, I started to play Doc, and now I really like him. I also like Mario, Luigi, Ganon, YLink, Pichu, and Fox

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Pretty much Luigi was THAT DUDE!! I used to think I was amazing because I could keep the CPU from hitting the ground for a whole stock. I thought keeping your opponent from not touching the ground was a TRUE combo. Since I was good at doing that with Luigi I stuck with him. Now that I know (still learning) ATs I like him even more and I think he's truly a beast.

Acorn

Smash Cadet
Started with Marth because he was simple to understand.

Then I saw a game with Falco doing dair/shine shield pressure and pillar combos on FD and thought it looked awesome.

The more I play Falco the more I love him and I still enjoy pillaring too :)

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
In any game, I can't main anyone. My mind is too indecisive for that. One week i'll be in love with Peach, the next Ice Climbers. I finally buckled down and said the next random pick I make will be my main.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I used to play Marth for years, back when I didn't know too much. I still beat all my friends with him, but, I just figured he's the best and didn't think much about the whole technical aspect.
Some years ago, during some late Melee nights with my friend, we would play Ganondorf against Young Link and sort of mess around. It got pretty competitive though and I noticed how satisfying each hit felt. It was like ramming a train into his face with each punch or kick.
I came across Kage in some online videos and he inspired me to really try and push my Ganondorf as far as I could. I wanted to be a Kage as well. I realise how unrealistic and silly that is now, but, I'll cling to the dream of one day beating him in Ganondorf dittos.

Rued

Smash Rookie
When I first decided to play Smash semi seriously I used Marth because of the Smash documentary and Ken's Marth tutorial, dropped Smash because of personal reasons for like 2 months, picked it back up, and watched a video of Hax playing Falcon and watched all 3 of the "I Killed Mufasa" series. Love the way Falcon plays, and really exciting to watch at high levels.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
When I was 3 I went to my friends house and we played Melee for hours straight. Mewtwo was my favorite pokemon so I played him. I was terirble. I just spammed shadow claw and shadow ball lol.

Brawl comes out. I play it and I recognize Lucario from that pokemon movie. I played him and loved him. Also picked up Marth. He was fun. Then when i got serious, I lucked out. Marth and Lucario were both considered good. Eventually picked up MK just because.

Got bored of Brawl, went to PM. Buffed Mewtwo? YES PLEASE. Then SKTAR 3 happened and now everyone hates Mewtwo. I fear that my childhood main will be rendered trash again.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I was really into Melee from the day it came out until 2007. During that time I mained Link almost exclusively, though I would try secondaries to get past Sheik's in brackets. Then I had a series of moves that effectively isolated me from the scene. Until 2014; now I'm back and rusty. A tournament is coming up and I want to win!

After catching up with the meta and seeing all the advancements, I played a lot and realized that Peach naturally played to my style and didn't have either Young Link or Link's shortcomings. So I'm committed to her.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I was just starting the game with a friend of mine and could not play any character well at all. So I just started going through all of them randomly until I found one that felt "right"; and it so happened to be Peach. I like instantly fell in love with the floats, I thought it looked so cool and gave me a feeling of more control I guess would be the word to use. Also those nairs and down smashes are delish. Close 2nd would be Dr Mario and he would be my main had I not picked Peach instead.

Last edited:

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
When I first played the Ice Climbers, I vowed that I'd never play them. Playing one character was hard enough, I wasn't about to waste my time trying to play two of them! But surely enough, they eventually grew on me, and even though I still sometimes think I made the wrong decision, every time that I play the Ice Climbers it just feels so natural. The little nuances and tricks they have really push me to find out as much as possible about them, and trying to understand Nana is always a treat! Plus, I'm practically obsessed with the Ice Climbers/Peach match up. It's such an uphill battle, but whenever I manage to win it I'm always in a good mood! I want to prove that it really isn't the worst match up for the Climbers!

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I used to be 100% Ganondorf main when I was a kid. Probably because of his power, but I don't remember the reasoning for it. Then my Melee corrupted one day and was so mad that I had to completely unlock everything all over again. I hadn't touched it for years, and then when Brawl came out I just played that.

Around EVO 2013 I re-unlocked everything again and started playing competitively w/ my bro. He has always played Jigglypuff in every smash bros and has always been very good. He uses rest and rollout pretty effectively, so I played around with a bunch of characters that I thought could handle Puff. I eventually started to use Mario and Falco. This was when I had hardly any tech skill, so when I was trying to learn how to wavedash, Mario felt a lot easier to do so, which is true. I pretty much backed away from Falco at that point because I realized I didn't want to grind tech skill incredibly hardcore to be good with a character, so I picked Mario.

Since I was dealing with Puff, I centralized my play-style around grabs, F-smashing, Uairs, and Fireballs. Overtime, the more we sparred, the better we both got. He eventually picked up Falco, and plays very Up tilt heavy and patient. His tech skill wasn't that great tho.

For some reason, we both ended up picking up another character each. I tried Ganondorf again because I felt that he was figuring out how to deal with my Mario w/ Puff and Falco, so I thought using raw power would solve the problem. I started to work a lot of stomps into my play-style, and I eventually got pretty decent with him. My brother picked up Captain Falcon probably because we had watched the Documentary around this time and he jizzed all over Isai. He plays a very patient and raptor boost-heavy game.

I then got into watching a bunch of tournaments and I heard a bunch of commentators talking about how you can really tell a player's style if you play Fox, so I thought to try him out. Since then, he has become my very solid secondary, and I have taken the time to work on tech skill. My bro was then all like **** it, I'll try another character too. He played Game and Watch for a little bit and actually got really good with him. He wasn't his main, but a fun character to be good with nonetheless.

Nowadays, I would say my main is Mario, secondaries being Fox, Ganondorf, and Peach (Been playing her recently), and other characters being Falco, Puff, and Doc. Other characters I mess around, but I'm not serious with are Captain Falcon, Samus, Ice Climbers, Ness, Shiek, Marth, and Link.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
A long long time ago... in the land of May 2014, I went competitive for the first time in my life. I was a casual Marth and had a burning passion for Falco, I now main Marth and Falco.

I just play characters that feel the most natural to me.

In the case of Sheik, I play her mostly because my friend hates fighting her.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
My newest main, Fox, I only chose after a lot of begrudging myself because I don't really feel like I won if I win with a top-tier. But then I realized my tech skill left a lot to be desired, so I took him up to hit the ground running and exercise my reflexes.

It helps that his tier position in PM is debatable and he's only Mid-Tier in Super Smash Flash 2.

Last edited:

skwaag5233

Smash Cadet
I started out maining falco but I felt like all of his tech was really awkward so I started looking for other characters to play. I originally wanted to be a Roy main because ph13r but after learning that he was garbage I switched to marth and haven't looked back.

Arctic

Smash Cadet
My problem has always been choosing mains that are too low on the tier list to be viable. I love ness but it would be frivolous to pursue that considering ness is so low. But i played Ganondorf for the longest time and i was sick and tired of being too slow to break combos. So now I picked the mirror and am putting in lab time to make a tournament viable falcon. I played falcon in PM and now i'm trying to adapt it in melee. I use all of the greatest as models: S2J, Hax, Scar, Silent Spectre, but mostly Darkrain. Wish me luck, first tournament using falcon on saturday! Let's go Mass Madness!

Akimbosawce

Smash Rookie
i used to play 64 all the time with my brother since thats the only smash game we had. For years both of us played pickachu dittos for hours. One day i got bored of playing pickachu so I picked captain falcon, and he has been my rock ever since. I picked melee up around a year ago and was playing just falcon for awhile, but I really suck with him so I recently started to play falco and I really like how he plays, but my love for the knee keeps me playing falcon.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I guess back then I fought with no tech stuff other than short hop, dash dance and few other things I figured by myself and without any knowledge of the tier list. I thought Young link was the second best character in the game after fox (because fighting 3 level 9 foxes in teams against you on rainbow cruise was the ultimate challenge for me back then lol) I won against all my friends so how could I know :upsidedown: Also I'd rather avoid than shield and Young Link is good for that. Now that the documentary got me back in melee 7 years later at first I checked the tier list and picked up Peach and Jiggs, and they made me win after a few months of practice. But they aren't as fun as Young Links so I went back to him. I like other people's answers too

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
When I was a kid I always would play Marth. The build up to unlocking him (Hearing about him, hearing other kids unlocked him, seeing my brother attempt and fail and beating him when the fight came up, stuff like that) made it so cool when I finally got him. Played as Marth sense I was 7ish, and I would also **** around with Falco now and again for fun. Then when I learned about competitive Melee, and I learned that Marth was really good, I mained him. I also use to play Puff when I was a kid a bit because everyone though Puff was the worst character in my neighborhood, and when I found out Puff was top tier I thought it was hilarious and used her as a secondary. Eventually I liked playing Puff more than Marth, and dropped Marth all together eventually.

Then when I saw Hbox and Plup play together, I saw how cool Samus looked, and tried playing her by myself for fun, eventually I started to practice her ATs and used her against my friends when training for tournaments, used her in tournament and did better, and now I dual main Puff and Samus.

I also had fazes of a month or so where I had a Falcon secondary, a Ness Secondary, a Mewtwo back when I first started (dropped that pretty quick) I thought Roy was more fun than Marth so I played him for a bit, and I attempted to learn how to play the ICs (couldn't do it, too hard ATM) and I have learned basic Falco stuff for fun.

Last edited:

ArtehFX

Smash Apprentice
im unstable, i always switch between peach falcon fox and pikachu. help me

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Peach is the best character in SMB2, and it was also fun beating my friends by floating around and spamming dsmash

Last edited:
Top Bottom