• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'd have to see a video of the first scenario, I can't fully visualize the options.

SDI away, then either roll to down and away if the situation calls for you teching as soon as possible, or straight away/away and slightly up if you can jump out of stun or fall to ledge.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
When I played Shroomed it seemed so hard to get one. I really need to practice to be able to contend vs these guys. I think the only way we can all catch up is if we do it old school style which is 40h a week minimum of smashing.
What are you going to practice for 40h a week? Besides the chaingrab obviously.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
THE SET OF AGES

Definitely the biggest win of my career. This guy beat druggedfox :troll:. So a few things I've learned:

1) spacing is absolutely key to start and continue combos
2) WD out of shield into jab / ftilt is great when your opponent is expecting / baiting a roll
3) Vro made some mediocre edge guarding choices lol
4) side b / down b are SO good against an opponent when you know they're going to grab. I almost spammed it during this set because I know Vro is such a grab happy marth. Using special moves as much as I do probably won't get you very far in general, but I know Vro's playstyle specifically because we play so often and was able to figure out when he would try to grab.

Critiques are welcome and I'd recommend people watch this if they are struggling vs marth, specifically the spacing aspect (THE SPACING AT 9:08 TO GET THE GIMP THOUGH).

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sick set.

10:10 I saw the 69% and the guile theme started playing in my head, sick spacing on the RLD ledgehog. Too bad the magic of 69% never lasts long lmao

12:19 turning point in the set after you landed that side-b LOL. His last shred of hope crushed

Got 'eeeem!!

Coastward

Smash Lord
THE SET OF AGES

Definitely the biggest win of my career. This guy beat druggedfox :troll:. So a few things I've learned:

1) spacing is absolutely key to start and continue combos
2) WD out of shield into jab / ftilt is great when your opponent is expecting / baiting a roll
3) Vro made some mediocre edge guarding choices lol
4) side b / down b are SO good against an opponent when you know they're going to grab. I almost spammed it during this set because I know Vro is such a grab happy marth. Using special moves as much as I do probably won't get you very far in general, but I know Vro's playstyle specifically because we play so often and was able to figure out when he would try to grab.

Critiques are welcome and I'd recommend people watch this if they are struggling vs marth, specifically the spacing aspect (THE SPACING AT 9:08 TO GET THE GIMP THOUGH).
he likes to go super low when he recovers, start taking advantage of that more. you could probably bait him with lightshield by ledge alot. practice tipman more too, you missed a few that looked kinda easy, or just recognize the situations where you can just grab the ledge and roll on stage to kill him.

side-b and down-b can be good, but you really did use it a lot. got punished quite a few times too so actually figure out the situations where you know you can get away with it 100%.

i realized he likes to nair your shield alot and drift back to make it extra safe, so next for experimentation purposes, try shield DI'ing in the nair and then wd oos ftilt or something, he was getting it a lot and you couldnt do anything.

at 8:05, you had more than enough time to ftilt him instead of going for a grab.

overall, you were getting a lot of good grabs and conversions. good ****, you definitely leveled up over the past year. :)

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'll try to go to the next Versus tournament; I got a chance to play Emilio last night, he's mad rusty still but I can probably shake it off before BH4.

@ -ACE- -ACE- Hmu on here brah. MY phone is dead and I can't find my charger.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
he likes to go super low when he recovers, start taking advantage of that more. you could probably bait him with lightshield by ledge alot. practice tipman more too, you missed a few that looked kinda easy, or just recognize the situations where you can just grab the ledge and roll on stage to kill him.
Yup. My Eddietipmans were off that entire day, actually. I missed like 3 vs ORLY... who plays falcon LOL. Light shield is decent, too. I just don't like it at certain percents because the ledge hop grab doesn't automatically lead to bair- sometimes they land on the platform and you have to tech chase. It's a good position for ganon, but I like the guaranteed stuff. Maybe waveland ftilt. Idk.

side-b and down-b can be good, but you really did use it a lot. got punished quite a few times too so actually figure out the situations where you know you can get away with it 100%.
You'll never get away with something 100%. As I said, the special moves here were more of a player thing than a matchup thing. I do use side b and down b too much (when I'm nervous / desperate), but these were all almost perfectly calculated. The ratio of landed : missed side b's was pretty high. Also, I got grabbed out of it a decent amount, which means my reads were on point, but the execution needs work.

i realized he likes to nair your shield alot and drift back to make it extra safe, so next for experimentation purposes, try shield DI'ing in the nair and then wd oos ftilt or something, he was getting it a lot and you couldnt do anything.
Did you see how many times I WD OOS into jab? Lol, I had an answer. But you're right and I did notice that. If you care, you can watch our set the week before. He would nair out of grab range and then fsmash, so I couldn't jump or wavedash. Again, that's more of a player thing than a character thing. Good eye, though. I don't think shield DI is necessary here unless you want to grab, but I could be wrong.

at 8:05, you had more than enough time to ftilt him instead of going for a grab.
Lol I don't know what I was thinking, I had so much time. Might have been able to fair / stomp here. Good call.

overall, you were getting a lot of good grabs and conversions. good ****, you definitely leveled up over the past year. :)
Thanks man! And thanks for your analysis, I appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing how you've progressed as well at BH5 (assuming you'll be there).

@ spider_sense spider_sense Duuuuuude, tell me you and Emilio are going! BH4 was a ganon-fest, hope to see you again and meet the great Linguini. Practice up ;)

Last edited:

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Yup. My Eddietipmans were off that entire day, actually. I missed like 3 vs ORLY... who plays falcon LOL. Light shield is decent, too. I just don't like it at certain percents because the ledge hop grab doesn't automatically lead to bair- sometimes they land on the platform and you have to tech chase. It's a good position for ganon, but I like the guaranteed stuff. Maybe waveland ftilt. Idk.

You'll never get away with something 100%. As I said, the special moves here were more of a player thing than a matchup thing. I do use side b and down b too much (when I'm nervous / desperate), but these were all almost perfectly calculated. The ratio of landed : missed side b's was pretty high. Also, I got grabbed out of it a decent amount, which means my reads were on point, but the execution needs work.

Did you see how many times I WD OOS into jab? Lol, I had an answer. But you're right and I did notice that. If you care, you can watch our set the week before. He would nair out of grab range and then fsmash, so I couldn't jump or wavedash. Again, that's more of a player thing than a character thing. Good eye, though. I don't think shield DI is necessary here unless you want to grab, but I could be wrong.

Not too sure about Emilio going tbh, but more than likely you'll see me out there. :) Come to SFL one day Joe.

Lol I don't know what I was thinking, I had so much time. Might have been able to fair / stomp here. Good call.

Thanks man! And thanks for your analysis, I appreciate it. Looking forward to seeing how you've progressed as well at BH5 (assuming you'll be there).

@ spider_sense spider_sense Duuuuuude, tell me you and Emilio are going! BH4 was a ganon-fest, hope to see you again and meet the great Linguini. Practice up ;)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What are you going to practice for 40h a week? Besides the chaingrab obviously.
Uhh.. I dont know.. everything? lol. Perfection, breaking down all single situations and finding answers for it, simple! At the same time making sure i dont fail the more technical stuff so I can do everything i want in a timely manner.

I can start by punishing Sheik ftilt. Is it CCable? If yes then what can I do after in the frames that shes still in the ftilt animation? Jab? Grab? Can I wavedash back and kick her if I expect that move? Can I jump over it and punch her? Thats how I always trained and once you learn all the possible options for one move then you move on to the next. This is exactly how you train your Ganon flow and then combo flow afterwards. Then once this becomes more natural the next thing is predicting what the opponent wants to do depending on the space between you and Sheik. They definitely wont do random ****, everyone has a thought process and its up to you to read what they are expecting from you or the other way around, what you are expecting from them. There's always an answer. You have to remember also whiffing a move is pretty deadly as well, if you see me whiffing an aerial for example its because I expected him to jump first but it didnt happen so in that case I need to cover my ass with a 2nd option that I can expect.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Heavy practice helps with muscle memory for all the crucial micro-situations which matter more and more the higher the skill level.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
lol if that's your worst, you can feel good about yourself. You looked really good at the beginning of the first game.

Coastward

Smash Lord
lol if that's your worst, you can feel good about yourself. You looked really good at the beginning of the first game.
that match was a big example of my inability to adapt. dropped every chaingrab, didn't bother fixing my neutral where sheik was just waiting for me to double jump. no good edgeguards. just piss poor play imho. i don't know why i started falling off, but man that set will haunt me forever.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ Coastward Coastward do you practice by yourself or with someone?

Also, don't say that sets will haunt you forever. How often do you think I think about this?

http://youtu.be/MHDXm2MuAT4

Lol.

Sometimes you jumped way too often. Sometimes you committed too much in neutral (whiffed aerials). You just didn't have a solid read on what he was doing and weren't reacting quickly (I don't think your frustration allowed you to). Keep practicing the cg but you need to be more confident. Play sheik players more. Ask people to play sheik vs you.... Until you're really confident in your matchup strats. Don't be hellbent on proving something, there's no pressure. Don't tell yourself you're going to win, you don't need to. Just stay focused on your neutral, pressure and punish hard. More wL into grab, asdi grab, etc. Instead of so many aerials. Just a thought.

Practice tech too. Upgrading your speed is underrated. And so is Ganons ****ty DD.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I'm still losing so many sets to my fox friend, he has very good tech skill, but just waveshine/ shine gimps me for 90 percent of my deaths, so frustrating! I need advice again lol.

Coastward

Smash Lord
@ Coastward Coastward do you practice by yourself or with someone?

Also, don't say that sets will haunt you forever. How often do you think I think about this?

http://youtu.be/MHDXm2MuAT4

Lol.

Sometimes you jumped way too often. Sometimes you committed too much in neutral (whiffed aerials). You just didn't have a solid read on what he was doing and weren't reacting quickly (I don't think your frustration allowed you to). Keep practicing the cg but you need to be more confident. Play sheik players more. Ask people to play sheik vs you.... Until you're really confident in your matchup strats. Don't be hellbent on proving something, there's no pressure. Don't tell yourself you're going to win, you don't need to. Just stay focused on your neutral, pressure and punish hard. More wL into grab, asdi grab, etc. Instead of so many aerials. Just a thought.

Practice tech too. Upgrading your speed is underrated. And so is Ganons ****ty DD.
i dont practice at all LOL. dont have a CRT, yet i'm still able to stay up to practice somehow. dying to get one, really want to start practicing tech and just theorycraft.

but yeah you're definitely right about the mindset in the MU. i realized how easier it can get when i just focus on the match alone. what sucks is that in R2 pools, he didn't win a single match as 1st seed lmaooooo. gonna bodybag him next time.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'm still losing so many sets to my fox friend, he has very good tech skill, but just waveshine/ shine gimps me for 90 percent of my deaths, so frustrating! I need advice again lol.
Try to record a match with a smart phone. Doesn't even have to be one in service. Find wifi, upload to YouTube.

In the meantime, here's a bonus Linguinas vid that might give you ideas on pressuring fox.

http://youtu.be/JsOuYDsCn2A

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Try to record a match with a smart phone. Doesn't even have to be one in service. Find wifi, upload to YouTube.

In the meantime, here's a bonus Linguinas vid that might give you ideas on pressuring fox.

http://youtu.be/JsOuYDsCn2A
I'll try to record something next time we play, and damn dude, the up airs are real.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The fox i play is super campy though, he waits for me to throw out an aerial
That's what I'm saying. You just described a fox that's easy to bait. Retreating uair requires very little space to be safe since you can dj afterwards. Nothing like SHFFLing a fair.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
That's what I'm saying. You just described a fox that's easy to bait. Retreating uair requires very little space to be safe since you can dj afterwards. Nothing like SHFFLing a fair.
True, never thought about it that way. Habits are so hard to change, I'm sure I do the same things constantly, and I don't think retreating up air are one of them.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
True, never thought about it that way. Habits are so hard to change, I'm sure I do the same things constantly, and I don't think retreating up air are one of them.
Fullhop dair is another standard bait that still works to this day, and make sure you utilize fullhop dair oos. Try to input the dair FP as soon as you've held jump long enough for the fullhop. This is extra important vs fox (as opposed to falco) since he is short and aerials kill your jump momentum/height, making it easier to hit the top of his head. I think linguini got one in that last match I posted, requires precise fastfall and L-cancel on reaction to get the grab.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Fullhop dair is another standard bait that still works to this day, and make sure you utilize fullhop dair oos. Try to input the dair FP as soon as you've held jump long enough for the fullhop. This is extra important vs fox (as opposed to falco) since he is short and aerials kill your jump momentum/height, making it easier to hit the top of his head. I think linguini got one in that last match I posted, requires precise fastfall and L-cancel on reaction to get the grab.
I do this way too much actually, I've tried to cut down on it, the problem is I keep going for it lol.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
http://youtu.be/DicfTaoceAw

0:34:48 Tipman vs Mojohnbo (falcon)
0:52:45 Linguini vs Mumbo (falco)
1:17:30 Tipman vs Happy Hydra (puff)
2:31:45 Linguini vs Blea Gelo (luigi)
3:06:30 The Ditto
3:42:50 Linguini vs Red1 (link)
4:06:30 Linguini vs Animal Control (fox)
4:25:00 Linguini vs porkchops (falco)
4:44:20 Linguini vs Blea (Grand Finals)

Think I got that right. Link may change.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
This is exactly how you train your Ganon flow and then combo flow afterwards.
I asked mostly out of curiosity rather than doubt that there would be enough things for you to practice.

I'm starting to do this kind of with combos, thinking about all the options and finding ways to cover as many as possible in different situations. I have never really trained myself in how to respond to certain moves like this. I've obviously learned a lot from playing and watching the game long enough. But it's not the same.

You say train your Ganon flow first and combo flow second. You mean like train your neutral first and then your combo game? Is there a reason for training one first before the other? Cause I'm definitely doing it the other way around right now.

Top Bottom