• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ tm tm did any of your matches with kzhu get recorded? Since people are talking peach that would be good to look at. Maybe I'll do a review of Ian vs armada later

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I know I don't practice my Link but I definitely feel like my fundamentals with him are pretty good, plus there are a lot of things that Link has that counters Peach's gimmicks. For example, if I fully shield a Peach downsmash, I can shield grab it as Link.

tm

Smash Ace
@ tm tm did any of your matches with kzhu get recorded? Since people are talking peach that would be good to look at. Maybe I'll do a review of Ian vs armada later
No none of my sets with him have been recorded. Always lose, but I've taken 1 game like 3 times now. It's mostly me getting ****ed up in neutral though lol

Ian after that Wales crew battle: "gj team"

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Shorter than me, buzz cut. He turnip'd me bad last time, match is on YouTube. I'll try sober next time.

Maybe.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
http://youtu.be/xA-7GpZ0_SU

Ian vs Armada game 1 review.

0:04 great grab attempt after shielded fair, he just missed the dash for dash+jc grab. This is a very overlooked option. Fair was executed with decent reaction time to the turnip pull but should have been spaced a tad more.

0:05 missed tech.

0:11 great use of dj (not risky at low%) to increase your options and give yourself more time to find an opening. The result is a killer tomahawk.

0:12 Bair is NEVER guaranteed at 0%. Pivot uair always works, and if they DI full behind, turnaround high ftilt is very easy.

0:13 a prime example of how (tempting and) difficult it is to win an exchange with dair when you are directly above your opponent. It's usually better to retreat laterally and fully space a fair or bair, timed so that either the animation ends in time for you to grab ledge, or for you to dj sweespot the ledge.

0:17 great DI off the dash attack to establish an opportunity for better stage control.

0:22 Ganondorf bread and butter. Always take advantage of free uairs, ESPECIALLY in matchups where nair isn't a useful combo tool.

0:25 missed AC bair, Armada gets grab instead of Ian.

0:28 made decision to dj too soon. He didn't even bait it out. Still could have caught the turnip and released it during the first invincible ledge stall.

0:34 smart down-B. Armada threw the turnip too soon.

0:50 great pivot jab to prevent punish.

0:52 survival DI

0:57 whenever you see that a certain move kills you off the top when you survival DI at certain percents, take a mental note and DI straight up, instead of up and slightly in. You will be sent lower (since DI that is not perpendicular to kb trajectory has less effect on the angle of kb) and have a better chance of surviving at the upper corner of the screen.

1:02 great grab. Still to this day, many players have a habit of shielding on platforms as if Ganon can only aerial.

1:05 uair spacing must be precise!

1:08 another example of how it's ok to use dj at low%.

1:15 Armada profits too much from situations like this. His spacing is phenomenal, but no one is perfect. There was an opportunity to immediately bair as he grabbed the ledge. RLD+ immediate dj bair could have worked (reaches farther), or for evisceration he could have used ledgehop runoff dj fair. All are risky so you have to know what is safe and what isn't.

1:28 great bait/setup attempt.

1:43 after a great string, he forfeited too much space with the retreating uair, relieving Armada of pressure and increasing his options.

1:49 Tomahawk!

2:03 great jab, followed by bad DI.

2:22 slightly faster reaction would have landed the grab.

2:25 great ASDI grab versus dash attack.

2:31 good metagame/setup attempt, but a setup was already present. He waived his right to a fee uair.

2:47 good decision for plat bait, but must be spaced farther from the ledge.

2:48 stomp KO

3:06 remember to catch turnips after airdodge and drop them during your first inv ledge stall.

3:11 another great pivot jab to prevent punish.

3:19 KILLER grab.

Disclaimer: Ian is aware of the vast majority of his mistakes and was not happy with his play this set. I personally still think a lot of his good habits shined through though. If someone wants to do game 2, go for it.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I had a tourney today, placed pretty well, but lost to a Sheik in the bracket pools, 3 stocked him game 1 , lost last hit game 2, lost game 3. In top 16 bracket I lost to a sheik and a fox. I actually can't comprehend beating top spacies or sheik players with ganon, you guys amaze me. So frustrated right now, Fox can just camp, falco you can barely move against, and the sheik mu is a joke. Lets not forget the peach and puff MU =(

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
yeah lately I'm going falcon/fox in tourney against the good players since ganon's too hard.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
I have no idea how to feel, lol.
@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle got knocked out of Rubicon by my brother Jay. I don't know if I'm happy for my bro or sad for my fellow G-dorf.

Who was he even playing? He has not texted me all day. Was it his puff? He has the most consistently annoying puff I've ever played.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
@ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle got knocked out of Rubicon by my brother Jay. I don't know if I'm happy for my bro or sad for my fellow G-dorf.

Who was he even playing? He has not texted me all day. Was it his puff? He has the most consistently annoying puff I've ever played.

damn, it's cool you have a brother who plays this game. After whooping my brother several times when he was younger, he never wanted to play with me again lol.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion

Yea dude he played puff. Lol it was the lamest thing I've ever encountered I was actually super pissed haha after we played I was like ************ I just got beat by this homo puff. He seemed like a cool enough dude though, but damn campy puffs are so annoying.

Pseudoturtle beats Vro, then Vro beats druggedfox. Pseudoturtle > Vro > druggedfox?

:troll:
I got one better. PseudoTurtle > the good doctor > mattdotzeb > leffen > everyone.

I'm the best.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
And I beat Jay more often than not, so Ment > Jay > etc...
6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Doesn't the smash equivalent have a name? I thought it had something to do with Omni, like the 5 degrees of Omni, but idk.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
I know this is a simple question, but how do I avoiding getting shine gimped so often by Fox? The sole reason my practice partner (Fox Main) beats me is because he gets so many shine gimps on me, it's frustrating.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I know this is a simple question, but how do I avoiding getting shine gimped so often by Fox? The sole reason my practice partner (Fox Main) beats me is because he gets so many shine gimps on me, it's frustrating.
This is a problem that I have ran into a lot when playing my friends when they play Fox. It's the most basic punish gimp that can be done yet it's so effective and really hard to get around. The key to not getting shined gimped is to fast fall to the ledge when the first shine would send you off stage. You gotta have the mental fortitude to realize when you're about to get shined off stage and fast fall to that ledge. It hurts if you're already in the air though and you get shined first there. If that first shine hits you, there are two different things you can do to counter or avoid the second shine. You can either double jump and upair when the Fox gets close, or you can double jump and immediately air-dodge to land on stage. Of course, if you guess wrong with either of these you're pretty much dead, so you have to make your decision based off of what your opponent does.

To practice this against Fox players, just focus on when you get shined off the stage and taking note of when it happens and why. Once you get more aware you can then quickly tap down on your control stick to grab the ledge and then you can get back on stage with a waveland or a roll, but either way, getting to that ledge is what saves you from getting spiked.

Duel

Smash Apprentice
This is a problem that I have ran into a lot when playing my friends when they play Fox. It's the most basic punish gimp that can be done yet it's so effective and really hard to get around. The key to not getting shined gimped is to fast fall to the ledge when the first shine would send you off stage. You gotta have the mental fortitude to realize when you're about to get shined off stage and fast fall to that ledge. It hurts if you're already in the air though and you get shined first there. If that first shine hits you, there are two different things you can do to counter or avoid the second shine. You can either double jump and upair when the Fox gets close, or you can double jump and immediately air-dodge to land on stage. Of course, if you guess wrong with either of these you're pretty much dead, so you have to make your decision based off of what your opponent does.

To practice this against Fox players, just focus on when you get shined off the stage and taking note of when it happens and why. Once you get more aware you can then quickly tap down on your control stick to grab the ledge and then you can get back on stage with a waveland or a roll, but either way, getting to that ledge is what saves you from getting spiked.
Thank you, this sounds like a good game plan, it's so frustrating losing so many close games because of the shine BS.

Coastward

Smash Lord
definitely taking a break from smash, getting too caught up over wins and loses and not about how i'm playing in a match. i want to make sure i'm at my best during TBH5 so i'm just gonna lab til then and go to weeklies.

realized how ****ty my neutral is and how its a very simplistic flowchart. how do you guys deal with characters that just DD in front of you, or players who wait for you to make an approach or throw out a move? everytime i play a sheik, falcon or a spacie, i always SH fair > jab and i realize im getting punished for it way too much. i guess DDing myself could solve the issue but then i'd eventually lose the neutral due to being outpaced or projectile spam.

also, anyone have tips on nervous hands or jitters? it really got to me today and costed me top 32. also also i still dont have a CRT to practice. also also also **** sheik.

Top Bottom