• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Oh **** I forgot to mention that I've gotten into the (bad) habit of shielding dropping a lot on platforms and doing an upair or just to get down. It's a bad habit because I try to do it all the time, and I tend to get hit with bad DI while I'm dropping, but I'm definitely really consistent with it. I do need to work more on not always trying to drop through the platform to get away. I gotta remember that I can run away or just jump over my opponent as well. Definitely a habit that I want to fix.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Gotcha. Sounds about right. I wasn't 100% sure.

:locke will probably test this now. Lol
Haha yeah I did out of curiosity. You can buffer a roll away or behind him as long as you hit a spaced fair low on his shield, but I mean his grab is so slow anyway that you can probably stuff most, is not all, of his out of shield options by jabbing his shield after you fair it.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Haha yeah I did out of curiosity. You can buffer a roll away or behind him as long as you hit a spaced fair low on his shield, but I mean his grab is so slow anyway that you can probably stuff most, is not all, of his out of shield options by jabbing his shield after you fair it.
if you keep jabbing though, they'll most likely spot dodge the jab and then go for a grab or some jank ****.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
if you keep jabbing though, they'll most likely spot dodge the jab and then go for a grab or some jank ****.
Link's grab is too slow. Sure he has a good spot dodge, but he's not gonna land a grab on you after the spot dodge and not get hit by another jab. He could nair out of shield or something, but again it's rather slow.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well I just found some interesting tidbits of information. I was testing to see how actionable Ganon can be out of down-throw compared to up-throw for tech-chasing purposes. By actionable frames I mean how long Ganon has to act from the time he gets out of his throw animation until the opponent lands on the ground. I found that for Fox, around 50% is when up-throw starts to give you more actionable frames to tech-chase instead of down-throw. For Falco it's like in the mid 40% range cause he's a little heavier than Fox, and for Falcon this starts occurring at like 22%.

So basically, if you want to tech-chase the fast fallers, you're going to want to start up-throwing instead of down-throwing at these percents:

Fox: 50%
Falco: 45%
Falcon: 20%

Keep in mind that these percents are where the crossover begins. Meaning that both up-throw and down-throw give you the same amount of actionable frames at these percents. Any higher from there and up-throw will give you more.

EDIT: This was all tested with no DI.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I don't play against many good links (or often against link in general), but usually I can just roll away after a hit on their shield to avoid the grab as long as I time the hit to be ASAP before I land. Then when/if they whiff the grab you get a free fair/dair.

I usually only get grabbed when they mindgame me into shielding.
I haven't actually played against a link in a while, I think so, although I may be thinking of when you spot Dodge it rather than roll away.

Edit:wrong post lolz, but you get it.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Whenever I try to cc jc grab a Fox's nair, I get shined. Am I doing it too late? Or should I be doing a shield grab instead? I figure maybe the shield grab could powershield the shine.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Entered a small local yesterday. Here are the recorded matches:

vs Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXimWfWS4v8
vs Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p5hVqDVdfU

I'm realizing now that I'm messing up a lot of tech and basic things because I'm afraid of messing the things up. I'm not necessarily afraid of losing, but I guess I'm subconsciously being afraid to do certain tech at the ledge cause I'll SD. I don't get it. I do all my tech totally fine in friendlies but when it comes to tournament I play worse cause I'm afraid to play worse. I like don't try to have something to try out or adapt to and I go back to where I feel comfortable, yet it's having like the opposite affect on me cause I actually miss a lot of l-cancels, grabs, wavedashes, etc. It's probably a sure-fire sign that I need to continue doing solo practice on a day to day basis. It seems like to me that I need to just ingrain tech into me so much to the point where I never mess it up and I'm 100% comfortable with it. There's a lot of moments in these two matches that I had a particular idea in mind or a read in mind, but I just didn't hit the right buttons.

TL;DR: My mindset is okay but my techskill is horrid.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Whenever I try to cc jc grab a Fox's nair, I get shined. Am I doing it too late? Or should I be doing a shield grab instead? I figure maybe the shield grab could powershield the shine.
If he does a late nair he can shine you no matter what. If the nair is high and early, then you should be able to CC it and grab him while he is in l-cancel lag.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
If that's the case, jab from crouch if they do the nair late. If they do it early to beat your jab, cc jc/shield grab will take care of them.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I've landed that a few times lately on foxes lately, I've honestly just been flicking down to crouch at the perfect time, releasing immediately and hitting A (literally the same way I do plat cancel nair with luigi). Still haven't perfected my use of setting up the auto CC jab, except for with retreating aerials lol, you're already near the right spot (the down + away knotch) in that case. If they come in late I usually have to shield the nair and shine(s), and buffer a roll out.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Would I be able to shield in time after a late nair?
It's a bit complicated, but I would say that usually yes. If you're crouching, and the nair does high enough kb that you can ASDI land cancel it, you're +5 on the fox. If you just ASDI land cancel, you're +3. However, if the nair does low enough kb (because you're crouching and very low% for example), then you can't ASDI land, and the fox has very minor advantage on you, and could theoretically combo into shine, but it's very difficult.

Though I don't think cc -> shield sounds very useful strategy. CC jab works if you manage to ASDI land cancel, but it's very tight window even in that case.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
You're not that bad, you just need to edge guard ganon like I edge guard ganon. I didn't let you recover once, whereas whenever you killed me, it was typically from the stage rather than an edge guard. Don't let me down b near the stage.

It helps if you can predict it- jump preemptively as if I'm going to down b because if I don't, you're not exactly in an unsafe position; you just have to adjust yourself to edge guard whatever I choose to do next.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
It's a bit complicated, but I would say that usually yes. If you're crouching, and the nair does high enough kb that you can ASDI land cancel it, you're +5 on the fox. If you just ASDI land cancel, you're +3. However, if the nair does low enough kb (because you're crouching and very low% for example), then you can't ASDI land, and the fox has very minor advantage on you, and could theoretically combo into shine, but it's very difficult.

Though I don't think cc -> shield sounds very useful strategy. CC jab works if you manage to ASDI land cancel, but it's very tight window even in that case.
What is land canceling? How do you do it after ASDIing?

Btw this is theoretically shield grabbing, not just putting up your shield. CC jab isn't too hard to pull off, but I find that I don't get many good openings from it, it just knocks the Fox away. That's why I want to find ways to punish Fox hard for playing like a regular Fox would.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
What is land canceling? How do you do it after ASDIing?
It's the important 'cancelling' part of cc. You do it by ASDIng down to hit the ground so that the landing animation cancels hitstun. In order for you to be able to do it, kb must lift you off ground, it can't be too low, and it can't be too high so that it knocks down.

Crouching usually helps by reducing the kb so that knock down might not happen, but sometimes it reduces the kb too low so that you can't land, but will instead go into grounded hitstun.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I want to play ganon like no one ever has.

But if I had to name a ganon I wanted to play like, it'd be n0ne. His style is similar to mine.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Someone actually asked if I was RockCrock last night lmao. One tournament I entered as him, spider_sense entered as renth, and Blea entered as eddy Mexico. More impersonations to come.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Why am I no one's inspiration.. *sniff* lol. I mean you're ALL my inspiration.
I didn't hear about you or even Eddie, Bushman, or Tipman until later, actually. When I searched the pro ganon matches when I first started, only linguini and renth would come up.

Obviously, as I discovered more ganon players, notably you, Ian, G. Vice, and Tipman, I've made it a point to implement what I find are the best strats and tactics from all the ganons into my own play, while trying to invent and discover new ganon stuff.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
someone please make a falcon guide lmao....

i got bopped today, but my mentality is slowly improving. also, training on changing your playstyle in tournaments isn't the best idea.

Renth

Smash Hero
Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
Sure is, Jacob is a good friend of mine.

This video was around a time I hadn't played melee in years and was just getting back into it. At that same event this also happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAYHHRy61Qo

Edit: Vudujin double eliminated me at that event.
Yo that fair stage spike was GODlike and that uair uair to fair yo?! YvngFalconHoe

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
someone please make a falcon guide lmao....

i got bopped today, but my mentality is slowly improving. also, training on changing your playstyle in tournaments isn't the best idea.
Why not, its not like you can expect to win the entire tournament. You have to adapt constantly during each match and maybe youll find new tactics you can use the next time you lose vs someone because generally losing tells you exactly what you need to work on.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Coast, if it makes you feel any better I lost to the same pikachu last Monday, but 2-1 this time. After a few tall boys and a :denzel: or 2, I didn't really notice that he NEVER approaches until late in game 2, lmfao. I'll be more ready next time.

I have 2 sets vs Falco up on twitch.tv/vsgc from Thursday's melee tournament (it's near the beginning). I had to leave early though. They might find their way to YouTube soon.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Coast, if it makes you feel any better I lost to the same pikachu last Monday, but 2-1 this time. After a few tall boys and a :denzel: or 2, I didn't really notice that he NEVER approaches until late in game 2, lmfao. I'll be more ready next time.

I have 2 sets vs Falco up on twitch.tv/vsgc from Thursday's melee tournament (it's near the beginning). I had to leave early though. They might find their way to YouTube soon.
Lol i opened the vid to see a bald ESAM.. didnt even recognize him for a few seconds omg.

That first Falco always went for 1 button then tried to hard read. So weird.. >_< Actually the 2nd one also but hes much better. lol

You're trigger happy with those down-Bs and you seem to like to jab knockdown to read dair inside a lot too. Hmm, in general it seemed like you missed a lot of punishes like from his laggy moves or missed a few L-cancels that got you punished for a bit of damage.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
yeah I get lazy and yolo B moves sometimes LOL. I could have adapted a lot sooner.

Also I'm thinking about entering as BaldByChoice once lmao

Top Bottom