• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
yo..... The VS tourneys in Florida can get hot as ballz. I've definitely dropped games/sets before from sweat getting into and burning my eyes lol but no johns. When you just can't wait for the set to be over is harder to focus and you're much more likely to flub stuff or get impatient. If it gets too crowded the AC just can't keep up in there lol. I mean it is like 80-84 degrees here at night and I would MUCH rather play outside, which is actually how I usually play now tbh. Outdoor smash ftw haha.
For Hbox this kind of heat is normal.. for us it isn't. FL is apparently more humid than in Montreal which is pretty ridiculous to me. And also I did wash my hands before the set but dude as soon as you entered the venue, you started to sweat instantly.. thats how hot it was. Dank ass smashers omg... stinky too.

kay, gonna get to grinding in these next weeks now. you guys steered me into a good direction once again. no more *****in.

does anyone know if 20xx has a thing where you can pause and go frame by frame?
Welcome to the losing to Link club. lol.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
For Hbox this kind of heat is normal.. for us it isn't. FL is apparently more humid than in Montreal which is pretty ridiculous to me. And also I did wash my hands before the set but dude as soon as you entered the venue, you started the sweat instantly.. thats how hot it was. Dank *** smashers omg... stinky too.

Welcome to the losing to Link club. lol.
DUDE IT ****ING SUCKS LMAOOOOO

im practicing **** right now as i type this.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
yo really? How'd you get the "untouchable" title?
I used to be a mod until I got demodded for giving 1 person a warning outside of the G boards (strict are we? Lol I think I infracted a grand total of 2 ppl in my 8 months of being a mod... Like I really give a **** about these rules lmao). The ability to change the subtitle never went away.

Edit: untouchable is in reference to Al Capone.

Last edited:

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I like your list. Agree for the most part on important things, only disagreements are usually characters we just have switched (like Falcon and Puff or Samus and Pikachu). Obviously huge differences on low tiers but that's not really super important and it wouldn't take much arguing to convince me to change my opinions. Low tiers are all just so, so bad that I don't really see too much separation between them XD

My list if anyone cares: http://smashboards.com/threads/2015-community-tier-list-voting.404738/page-2#post-19318340

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm pretty happy with my results this weekend.

We had a tournament on Sat. which Fort wayne showed up to with some heavy hitters. Only lost to Voorhees and my brother in Melee, and only to Voorhees in PM (Ganon 2 gud). Never got blown out by him, just consistent 1 and 2 stocks. In crew battles though, I met Voorhees again, four stocks to four stocks, and won by a stock. He was playing his falco, but I'm still pretty proud of it. South Bend still lost, but only by three stocks, and we were missing two of our best. They had Voorhees, Ovaltine Hot, Gracen, Weyland, and two others I forget the names of. No recordings of anything that happened that day though :(

Sunday I won my local pretty handily. We had an eight week smash league thing going, and with this placement, as long as I place third or better these next two times (basically guarenteed), I'll still have won it overall A.K.A first on the Michiana PR. Woot.

@ RedmanSSBM RedmanSSBM I dig the list and all of the justifications. Roy second to last made me sad, but you have a good argument. It's weird it seems like Roys look good against meh players, but good players can always wreck em. Voorhees four-stocked my roy ;.;

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I've recently gained the ability to perfect pivot without having to think about it. Really useful for sneaking in jabs and grabs. But I'd also think that ftilts would be good to use. Trouble is, I can't seem to be able to ftilt unless I wait a second after the pivot to re-do the tilting motion of the control stick, if you guys know what I mean. Whenever I try to do the ftilt too quick out of a pivot, I do dash attack instead. How do you guys do it?

I used to be a mod until I got demodded for giving 1 person a warning outside of the G boards (strict are we? Lol I think I infracted a grand total of 2 ppl in my 8 months of being a mod... Like I really give a **** about these rules lmao). The ability to change the subtitle never went away.

Edit: untouchable is in reference to Al Capone.
ACE is the gangster of smashboards...the og

Divinokage

Smash Legend
so much **** was going through my mind then. im just sick of having to play the same people all the time in bracket and then end up always losing. not gonna happen anymore.
I would like a more objective critique rather than be confident you wont lose a simple set next time. Tell us what do you think went bad in the set and then for real you can work your way to become a top Ganon next set. (I went Falcon vs 4serial because i dont like Ganon vs Link that much.) lol.

Coastward

Smash Lord
I would like a more objective critique rather than be confident you wont lose a simple set next time. Tell us what do you think went bad in the set and then for real you can work your way to become a top Ganon next set. (I went Falcon vs 4serial because i dont like Ganon vs Link that much.) lol.
okay i'll breakdown my mindset and what happened in the game:

so first of all, i definitely lost momentum right from the beginning at stage striking. i just came off of a clean 2-0 and i was feeling good, but most of my fire was lost since my opponent waited at the stage select screen so he could watch a match on the projector (i think it was saus vs the moon). i forced him to play halfway between the 2nd match but i definitely shoulda just started when i was ready.

anyways, the first match went pretty well. i was getting my punishes and reads, but i couldnt clutch it out in the end. it was last stock high % and wasnt able to beat him to it. at this point, my mind spiraled into a ****hole. i was just thinking "wow i'm gonna lose to this link ONCE AGAIN". i ran game 2 back to battlefield and it was just terrible. so many technical flubs, dropped edgeguards and punishes. like, i ****ing missed a dair on his missed grab. he had 2 stocks when i was one my last one at high %, and i think i ****ed up a fair while jumping on a platform and it became a fsmash. at that point i just quit out, shook his hand and dipped. that was probably one of the worst feelings i've had in a while.

i just lost motivation because i wasn't confident in myself that i was going to win. i've beaten him before and i know that i can do it again, i just need to polish up my play. missing things like dair on a missed grab is such a joke. i keep falling for link shenanigans too; uair juggling is ruthless and i need to work on SDI. i also need to realize when i feel cornered when i play and resort to other options other than just spamming fair on shield.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
i was just thinking "wow i'm gonna lose to this link ONCE AGAIN".
Dude that's a big problem. If that was going through your head, you need to work on your mindset. With a good mindset, you can play at the top of your ability more often, which helps you avoid tech flubs and other things that can ruin you.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
One of the worst things which always used to happen to me was when it's me at 2 healthy stocks or so and the opponent on his last stock, and I would think "Wow, I'd really have to f*** this one up in order to lose" and then immediately after, think "S*** I'm gonna **** this up and lose". The worst is knowing it's gonna happen. Not that it ALWAYS did, but god there's no better way to put yourself at a disadvantage than "knowing" you're gonna lose.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I do that a lot. I just start screwing up, and I just 'know' in going to lose, even if I'm ahead.

Sad thing is I'm right about it way too often.

If you guys could see how badly I've choked before... I've literally accidentally cancelled a game while trying to reset my controller (knowing I would have to forfeit a stock for the pause, but trying it anyway since I was so mad)

I get incredibly negative sometimes, and it's just terrible for everyone, ugh

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
idk how you guys have so much trouble with link. i honestly just play vs him like a ****ty samus.

don't challenge his recovery unless you know it's gonna be safe
maneuver around projectiles tactically but in a way to slowly corner link
stick to edgeguarding with bair at the ledge since most of his moves from the ledge can't really beat/outspace bair
don't **** up the cg

getting hit by bombs/projectiles isn't really going to happen unless you're a) not working around the platforms enough and/or b) you're not grabbing bombs and using ganondorf's amazing item throw to your advantage (bomb to fair is legit). bombs are missiles that don't directly kill, but lead into combos, and that can be picked up/grabbed.

from what i've seen, canada links aren't very campy and thus should be way easier to play against than links like christian (aka zoro), j666, or HDL. once you corner them and pressure them enough you can start grabbing them more. if link shields near you just ****ing go grab him. also put out slow aerials if you think they like to spotdodge. i don't really ever fastfall things vs link

One of the worst things which always used to happen to me was when it's me at 2 healthy stocks or so and the opponent on his last stock, and I would think "Wow, I'd really have to f*** this one up in order to lose" and then immediately after, think "S*** I'm gonna **** this up and lose". The worst is knowing it's gonna happen. Not that it ALWAYS did, but god there's no better way to put yourself at a disadvantage than "knowing" you're gonna lose.
stop focusing on the victory itself and just focus on playing. don't get tunnel vision. you absolutely have to stay positive. a few good hits with ganondorf and you'll have regained stage control as well as momentum of the match. remember that.

Last edited:

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
idk how you guys have so much trouble with link. i honestly just play vs him like a ****ty samus.

stick to edgeguarding with bair at the ledge since most of his moves from the ledge can't really beat/outspace bair
don't **** up the cg

getting hit by bombs/projectiles isn't really going to happen unless you're a) not working around the platforms enough and/or b) you're not grabbing bombs and using ganondorf's amazing item throw to your advantage (bomb to fair is legit). bombs are missiles that don't directly kill, but lead into combos, and that can be picked up/grabbed.

from what i've seen, canada links aren't very campy and thus should be way easier to play against than links like christian (aka zoro), j666, or HDL. once you corner them and pressure them enough you can start grabbing them more. if link shields near you just ****ing go grab him. also put out slow aerials if you think they like to spotdodge. i don't really ever fastfall things vs link

stop focusing on the victory itself and just focus on playing. don't get tunnel vision. you absolutely have to stay positive. a few good hits with ganondorf and you'll have regained stage control as well as momentum of the match. remember that.
TALK TO EM EIKE!!

tm

Smash Ace

don't **** up the cg

Nice tips. will keep in mind

edit: I'm still afraid of his shield, and believe that he can punish anything I do to it minus grab

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If you're going to attack Link's shield, make sure that you land behind him in some way. The worst he can do to you at that point in maybe up-b out of shield or bair out of shield, but that's better than getting grabbed by his hella long grab in front. Link is one of those characters where you really gotta respect that his shield grab is actually really safe even if Ganon does well spaced aerials, but remember that it comes out rather slow, so if you can do a low aerial on his shield and then jab right after, it should stuff a shield grab attempt.

Also guys, I think it is really imperative that you solo practice tech for at least two hours a day so that your tech will always stay sharp. I had a pretty good solo practice session last night and was feeling myself. I remember Axe saying on the MVG League stream that one of the things that helps him a lot during tournaments is to keep warm 30 minutes before a tournament match happens by practicing by yourself, and even doing a 1 minute handwarmer before you start your tournament match. There have been many times where I would feel really discouraged or demotivated to play because I felt like my tech was off and I couldn't do the things that I wanted to do. If you do solo practice every day, then this should be a breeze to you and you can easily get more confidence.

Practice perfecting your wavedash. Practice wall-jump-ledge-teching to bair, up-b, and airdodge. Practice new things that you want to implement over and over again until you never mess it up . Practice ledge-hopping. Practice ledge-dashing. Practice reverse ledge-dashing. Practice doing your aerials without fast falling. Practice hitting the instant upair on a standing Fox. Practice the instant upair out of shield on a standing Fox. Practice the upair from he ledge aka the Eikeldrop and try to land back on stage. Practice jump-cancel grabbing a lvl 1 cpu Sheik when she DIs behind you. Practice the chaingrab on her. Practice wavelanding on platforms on every stage by only doing a full hop. Practice wavelanding on the ground. Practice hitting Fox with your instant rising bair. Practice hitting Fox with your auto-canceled falling bair. Practice hitting Fox on the platforms of every stage without having to go up to them and without using upair. You can jump then double jump shortly afterwards and instant fair after the double jump to hit anyone on the top platform on BF and Dreamland, and on FoD you can hit them just by full hopping and fairing. SH dair and SH bair both reach people standing on the side platform on Dreamland. Try to hit that. Practice wavedashing out of shield.

You cannot slack on the solo practice because it does affect how you play. I know I've skimped out on doing solo practice for some time and I see what it does to me first hand.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
If you're going to attack Link's shield, make sure that you land behind him in some way. The worst he can do to you at that point in maybe up-b out of shield or bair out of shield, but that's better than getting grabbed by his hella long grab in front. Link is one of those characters where you really gotta respect that his shield grab is actually really safe even if Ganon does well spaced aerials, but remember that it comes out rather slow, so if you can do a low aerial on his shield and then jab right after, it should stuff a shield grab attempt.

Also guys, I think it is really imperative that you solo practice tech for at least two hours a day so that your tech will always stay sharp. I had a pretty good solo practice session last night and was feeling myself. I remember Axe saying on the MVG League stream that one of the things that helps him a lot during tournaments is to keep warm 30 minutes before a tournament match happens by practicing by yourself, and even doing a 1 minute handwarmer before you start your tournament match. There have been many times where I would feel really discouraged or demotivated to play because I felt like my tech was off and I couldn't do the things that I wanted to do. If you do solo practice every day, then this should be a breeze to you and you can easily get more confidence.

Practice perfecting your wavedash. Practice wall-jump-ledge-teching to bair, up-b, and airdodge. Practice new things that you want to implement over and over again until you never mess it up . Practice ledge-hopping. Practice ledge-dashing. Practice reverse ledge-dashing. Practice doing your aerials without fast falling. Practice hitting the instant upair on a standing Fox. Practice the instant upair out of shield on a standing Fox. Practice the upair from he ledge aka the Eikeldrop and try to land back on stage. Practice jump-cancel grabbing a lvl 1 cpu Sheik when she DIs behind you. Practice the chaingrab on her. Practice wavelanding on platforms on every stage by only doing a full hop. Practice wavelanding on the ground. Practice hitting Fox with your instant rising bair. Practice hitting Fox with your auto-canceled falling bair. Practice hitting Fox on the platforms of every stage without having to go up to them and without using upair. You can jump then double jump shortly afterwards and instant fair after the double jump to hit anyone on the top platform on BF and Dreamland, and on FoD you can hit them just by full hopping and fairing. SH dair and SH bair both reach people standing on the side platform on Dreamland. Try to hit that. Practice wavedashing out of shield.

You cannot slack on the solo practice because it does affect how you play. I know I've skimped out on doing solo practice for some time and I see what it does to me first hand.
I 4real practice most of these things everyday, are you proud of me?

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I don't play against many good links (or often against link in general), but usually I can just roll away after a hit on their shield to avoid the grab as long as I time the hit to be ASAP before I land. Then when/if they whiff the grab you get a free fair/dair.

I usually only get grabbed when they mindgame me into shielding.

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Эикельманн [РУС] said:
Yeah I've got a MUCH better mentality now. Over the past year, my mentality, and my game play subsequently, has improved dramatically.

YvngFlameHoe said:
Can you really african warlock power fist Link when he whiffs a grab? Cause ima make that my thing B)
Wow, lol. If this is true that is crazy. Also, it might be partly due to the player, but I'm pretty sure you can bait the grab wiff by spacing a late fair on his sheild really well and then just shorthopping (maybe full hop, I haven't played the MU in a while). Since his grab doesn't grab out of the air, and it loses it's grab box as soon as it reaches it's max distance, I think it'll just land on the ground beneath you, even if he grabs asa his sheild lag ends. Like I said it's been a while, but I know I used to do something like that.

EDIT: I don't have my setup so I can't go to the lab and check, nor could I find concrete proof, but I've seen a couple of other comments claim that he can't grab out of the air with the "hook" part of his grab. He has a smaller grab box right on his body where the hook-shot starts at that is active at the beginning and will grab out of the air (I guess?). I'm pretty sure if you know it's coming and want to swag, you can space a late fair, then do a short hop in and warlock punch on your way and you won't get shield grabbed.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yo locke, link's bair oos can put you in a bad situation. If you get him to shield tomahawk his a$s. Also I think you can buffer anything away from his grab from fully spaced fair on shield. Great post tho

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
I agree, great post. One of my favorite pieces of advice is that there is no excuse for not having 100% perfect tech skill. Literally no reason. Practice is all that it takes, and while I admire the whole 2 hour regiment, I don't even think it takes the much. I believe you can maintain and improve your tech skill very reasonably with as little as forty-ish minutes of practice a day, though obviously the more you practice the quicker you improve.

Coastward

Smash Lord
Yo locke, link's bair oos can put you in a bad situation. If you get him to shield tomahawk his a$s. Also I think you can buffer anything away from his grab from fully spaced fair on shield. Great post tho
fair has to be near frame perfect, i've tried multiple times.

YvngFlameHoe

Smash Ace
I agree, great post. One of my favorite pieces of advice is that there is no excuse for not having 100% perfect tech skill. Literally no reason. Practice is all that it takes, and while I admire the whole 2 hour regiment, I don't even think it takes the much. I believe you can maintain and improve your tech skill very reasonably with as little as forty-ish minutes of practice a day, though obviously the more you practice the quicker you improve.
40 mins? we playing Ganon or Marth bruh?

TheMentaculus

Smash Cadet
Forty minutes of every day of every week? Yeah I think that's enough to at least stay on par. You're probably right that it takes more than that to improve reasonably, but I'd stand by the argument that that's enough to keep yourself pretty sharp. I suppose I over-corrected, but for me 2 hours of every day is a bit much.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It has to be a read basically.

And as far practicing tech skill goes, some people can handle multiple hours some can't. I'd rather fire up the cube 4 times a day for 30 mins at a time than do tech for 90 mins straight. I'm going to buy a cube soon lol

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
locke left it out of his post but practice the **** out of shield drops. i just recently started to implement shield drops into my gameplay and i think it's something that we all need to start doing. even our best players don't really do it much. unacceptable.

in regards of tech skill practice, i used to practice tech skill with a pretty rigorous training regiment for the first 4 to 5 years of my smash career (roughly 3 hours a day almost every day for 3 years, less hours per day as i started moving more), so because of that now i could wake up out of a deep sleep, be forced to play melee vs a good player and pretty much be on point. i only practice alone once a month or so now.

tech skill grind might suck now, but it's comparable to lifting. you're gonna be grinding for a while and then the benefits will be wondrous in the years to come. keep at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom