• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm down to MM anyone at CEO, still waiting for Bizz to answer my callout, I might not be able to throw down a grand like Kage, but anywhere to $50-$100 sounds good enough. I won't make it easy and I wouldn't go down with that MM vs Emilio; Ian. lol

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm down to MM anyone at CEO, still waiting for Bizz to answer my callout, I might not be able to throw down a grand like Kage, but anywhere to $50-$100 sounds good enough. I won't make it easy and I wouldn't go down with that MM vs Emilio; Ian. lol
Btw, shoutouts to everyone of you ****s for ruining my call out to Bizz, if I see any of you at CEO, you're all dead...except Ace/Renth.

tm

Smash Ace
Trying to win with ganon in not-florida seems hard enough... lmao.
Idk about CEO but I'm definitely going to EVO

tm

Smash Ace
Most improved, maybe if you specify improvement over some arbitrary or cherry-picked timeline. Pretty much get bodied by characters that start with F. Coming up on 3 years, still have never made payout in singles lol.
I love FL and would love to come to a tourney there for once, but I'd hate to travel alone and idk how realistic it would be on top of going to EVO.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Most improved, maybe if you specify improvement over some arbitrary or cherry-picked timeline. Pretty much get bodied by characters that start with F. Coming up on 3 years, still have never made payout in singles lol.
I love FL and would love to come to a tourney there for once, but I'd hate to travel alone and idk how realistic it would be on top of going to EVO.
How stacked are the tournaments you go to? I mean, not making payout isn't anything to be ashamed of if you're constantly fighting tough players. Like, I've technically won ~$200 from Melee now coming up on my second year playing in Melee tournaments on a somewhat regular basis, but I don't count that as **** because the players I beat were all bad.

Coastward

Smash Lord
this is the biggest ganondorf circlejerk ive ever seen!

@ n0ne n0ne lets go to CEO and teams MM @Eikelmann and @ spider_sense spider_sense

also i got 1st in doubles and 3rd at my weekly today. @ tm tm i beat the link that beat you at sweet in winners, but i lost 3-0 in losers cuz i got a giant headache and i was being super stubborn.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I'll MM you Coast.

If/when you come to van.

I'm too lazy to travel, farthest I've gone is to Pacific Northwest Regionals (in december) in Seattle a couple hours' drive away.

On that note, anyone here ever goes to gameclucks tournaments?

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
Having a really annoying time with the Peach matchup, I have read some of the matchup tips on here but any more would be appreciated. I tend to do better in more space, I win on Dreamland and FD more than Yoshi's somehow, probably because he uses down smash a ton, and I am having a hard time punishing it. The player is super campy, with every match going about 6 minutes. He also likes to float stall up above, idk, I am just pretty new at this matchup and could use help. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Duel

Smash Apprentice
If he likes to camp above you he's doing all the work for you. Uair eats Peach all day.
I'm not a total noob, I would say I am decent for playing about half of a year, but yeah, I thought the same thing would work. But, he floats higher than my jump and up air range. Do I just wait it out for his float to run out and go in for an up air? This matchup just bothers me because he can't beat me with anyone but Peach, but I guess that just exposes my lack of MU knowledge.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
bait the downsmash. Peaches who spam it should be getting wrecked by your aerials.

Run in under the platform if he's on it, and crouch, etc.

It's a hard matchup when they know what they're doing, the turnips wreck me (although I've never tried to get good at catching them, something I want to try after seeing some of n0ne's videos), and so do the edgeguards.

Cav

Smash Rookie
What do i do against opponents who like to shield a lot and wait for you to come to them? My friend is a Marth main and I tend to get super impatient when he does this because he knows he can out range me. I feel like I'm forced to make some kind of move, which ends up in me attacking his shield and getting grabbed. I know I can space my bairs but I feel like its sooo much easier for him to space because all of his moves have large range and eventually he'll just catch up to me and ruin my effort to space properly. Also what do i do when trying to get back onto ledge against a marth? I try to change when I use my Up-B and kinda angle my Up-B so I don't always get hit by Marth's fsmash but that doesn't always work and I feel pretty helpless when I'm offstage.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
first of all, for recovery, either go for the 'sweetspot' and hope they'll **** up, or make it look like that, but recover high so that you (hopefully) hug them.

Get good at teching the fsmash.

If he's not approaching the DD/stand out of his range and wait for him to do something. If he's not doing anything for a while, you can probably surprise him with something like waveland in jab/grab (but make sure you're also jumping around sporadically while waiting for it, so you don't tip him off.

One thing I like to do is to bait him by running up real close to him, then turning around and doing a retreating bair. A lot of the time they'll jump at you and get hit, or at least a double-hit.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
The scariest thing for me is marth's DD grab/dash attack. It's really easy to be controlled by his grab game.

Any tips on that?

Duel

Smash Apprentice
bait the downsmash. Peaches who spam it should be getting wrecked by your aerials.

Run in under the platform if he's on it, and crouch, etc.

It's a hard matchup when they know what they're doing, the turnips wreck me (although I've never tried to get good at catching them, something I want to try after seeing some of n0ne's videos), and so do the edgeguards.
Good point, what do you guys typically punish the down smash with?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Good point, what do you guys typically punish the down smash with?
Depends on percent and location on stage.

First always see if any punish can kill.
-dair at ko percent
-grab +dthrow +usmash kills 62-66%ish (before throw)
-usmash from underneath platform

Can any punish create an edgeguard situation?
-fair if she's close to the edge
-bair if you don't have enough time for fair
-grab combos

What punishes will put her in a disadvantageous position (above you)?
-dthrow +uair

What will inflict the most damage?
-dair +dair +techchase
-dthrow +high ftilt +uair
(situational)

Just some ideas. Remember sometimes just running up and grabbing is best, if you can. Not always the best option but often overlooked.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah definitely. RLD is very versatile. While we're on the subject of peach, while she's drifting back to stage I've used RLD +immediate dj uair while holding away from the stage, then drifting back to grab the ledge (serves the purpose of a ledgehop uair regrab but with more reach). All that's left is an edgehog and you're already there. One of the few applications of RLD Joe didn't cover in that old video.

Superspright

Smash Lord
I'm not a total noob, I would say I am decent for playing about half of a year, but yeah, I thought the same thing would work. But, he floats higher than my jump and up air range. Do I just wait it out for his float to run out and go in for an up air? This matchup just bothers me because he can't beat me with anyone but Peach, but I guess that just exposes my lack of MU knowledge.
Shark the **** out of him then. I've dealt with that too. It's tricky but you have to stay underneath him. If he tries to go to the central platform just stay underneath him (he'll probably dsmash when he lands if you jump up toward him). Basically you're waiting for his float to dry up. Once that happens he can't do anything beside air-dodge or try to time an aerial. Once you get a feel for this you can definitely strike must safer.

Last edited:

tm

Smash Ace
Float can last up to 150 frames (almost 3 seconds). Memorizing how long it is is underrated. You can time something with huge priority for right when she falls, or react if she does so sooner.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion

you guys prob saw this already but i found it really useful. Maybe the new ganon's like me can add these tech's into our movesets.
YOOOO shoutouts to that video. I made that way back when I first started playing. Dave, good coverage on dsmash punishes. I don't grab enough, especially when ganon's up smash is so ****ing good and semi-guaranteed off of a grab.

@ Duel Duel if he's using dsmash on platforms on yoshi's, you can't really beat it with an up air or even an up smash because the platforms are so low. If you're not baiting it, but merely reacting / predicting it, my go-to is to space a full hop bair.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah that buffered dthrow with c-down can really be money... vs jiggs/peach whenever they are at that susceptible percent, I'm hunting for a grab setup. From a perfect waveland especially. That's when grabs really surprise people and they're rarely ready to DI. Then yolo the usmash lol. It can be a good momentum changer.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
I cannot get the hang of shield-dropping or RLD (the latter mostly kills me...), I'm starting to get no-mpact-landing from ledge semi-consistently, but I can't really do it on platform.

Any tips?

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Also, is there a good thread somewhere about grab follow-ups on various characters/%s?

I never know when d-throw to upsmash is going to work, sometimes I just YOLO it.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
RLD is definitely a demanding tech when you're trying to master it. You can't waste but a frame or 2. You have to be fast.

No impact landing? You mean a ledgehop? And what did you mean by landing without impact the platform

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ganon-combo-thread.236073/page-2#post-7872336

^^ not just for peach, read Magus's whole post. For those of you lurkers or players that are new, at all, Magus420's melee posts are holy smash documents that can be 100% trusted. No one has contributed to frame data and melee-specific knowledge than this guy... he was way ahead of his time and dedicated.

Also just test the usmash after a no-DI dthrow. Its like 63-67% or so iirc. It's been years since I tested it.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
peach?

I'm talking about hopping onto the edge with extremely little lag so that you can jab/grab/tilt

Thanks for the link.

Now the problem is that I need to train myself to pay closer attention to percents. Most of the time I have no idea what their percent is (until there's some downtime to check, like getting killed) and I just have a vague sense of how far they're going to go when I hit them.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah peach..unless I'm getting confused with jigs lol

Not very useful. But a near-FP dj will make you land lagless on a lower plat.

Percents are SO HUGE for technical specifics. They tell you what strats will work and when. Your own% is huge too what strats your opponent may be going for. Now you know that your opponent is watching your% also.

Not saying pay like m2k but they are very important.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
You mean sh to dj on the first possible frame(s)? I'm thinking it could be pretty useful if you're under someone shielding on the platform. lagless grab is likely to surprise them.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Ganondorf does no-impact land on platforms by doing the following on the following stages:

• Battlefield: Do a Backwards full hop onto a side platform. (Fast)
  • Dreamland: Do a Forwards full hop onto a side platform. (Slow)
  • Yoshi's: Do a Backwards full hop onto the side platform, but only works when you're at the bottom of the stand on each side of the stage.
  • Pokemon Stadium: I believe it's a backwards full hop to no impact land, but I could be wrong. He might not be able to no impact land on those platforms at all.
Use this to your advantage to get to platforms super fast and do an action frame 1 when you land, not frame 5 waiting for your landing animation to end.

Although it's faster to use your DJ to no impact land, it's not safe since you can get hit while doing this, so it's just better (for me at least) to just jump once.

Last edited:

Bwmat

Smash Ace
lately I've been practicing wl off platform -> ff wl on stage -> waveland onto other platform and it's ridic how fast ganon can traverse battlefield that way. I've never seen anyone do that though.

Top Bottom