• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
hmm

why do you wanna use Ganon against Falco? I have a local Falco who is the level above me, and he can easily four stock me. I don't see many solutions to how to play vs. Falco with Ganon. I find Fox a lot easier, but he is still hard as hell lol.
I have a lot of experience with playing vs. Falco and each time I play that matchup I feel like I learn something new. I like to play vs Falco cause you know at any moment that you can get his ass off stage and gimp him like that. He may be a glass canon, but I can get gimps on Falco for days, so satisfying.

Fox isn't exactly easier cause he's much faster than Ganon, up-throw upair gets me a lot because I don't react quick enough, recovering vs Fox is virtually impossible, you have to hope that Fox messes up if you want to make it back on stage. You have to be really careful not to get overrun by Fox. His shine is the death of me.

I feel like playing Doc vs. Fox cause I have fun playing as Doc, he cannot be easily up-thrown upaired, gimping Fox is a lot easier and Doc is actually kinda fast, even though he lacks in range, he also has that chaingrab, and I love me some chain-grabs.

I feel like when I play, I understand how to hit my opponent with something, but I don't use all of my tools at my disposal, ya feel me? I just kinda use what I feel is necessary in order to get the hit. I see it in Linguini's play for sure. Plays really optimally.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
On the subject of Doc (only one post I swear), I love both he and mario's matchups on spacies. They both have 0-death chaingrabs (edgeguard/edgehog is sometimes necessary) starting with uthrow, then dthrow, and ending in fsmash/dsmash (Doc is better/easier.... fsmash no DI, dsmash anything else. And his dsmash is stronger). I love SHFFL'ING uair to dsmash if they are at mid% or close to the edge, and at low% midstage SHFFL'd uair + jab + immediate dash jc grab is a great mixup. Utilt is great also obviously but learning to space it consistently takes time (gotta keep it safe). Uair juggles into tipper mario fsmash is sooo sick when you land it. And Doc can buffer a dthrow with c-down and yolo a fsmash at mid% to create an edgeguard opportunity. And of course with edgeguarding the are CAPEable of quite a bit and Doc's bair is nasty. Fun characters imo, I like mario more nowadays for the speed. I also like how good his recovery is... one of my favorite aspects in melee is recovery skill/defense against gimps. He's more fun but Doc's punish game is more reliable which makes him slightly better imo.

Last edited:

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Thought about going to a Weekly today but didn't. I keep putting it off cause i think my Ganon isn't good enough, but i also know playing on my own will only get me so far x.x

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'll watch some but if I log in twitch crashes. And I have friends who say its me and not Samsung galaxies. I've only owned 8 and every one of them was buggy lol.

Well now the search button won't work (it just was, I watched you for 2 seconds and I'm so stupid I tried to log in) I'm going to buy a computer soon.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Could you give me specific examples?
I'll try and find some more, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXWZP1aVRY&t=6m34s

You double jumped and hit him with a fair. Literally anyone else would have been punished lol, but you double jumped before he even started dash dancing, like you knew he was going to do ONE quick run away and then come in immediately. That's like an incredibly hard read haha, he could have easily just did a standard dash dance and grabbed you... Among so many other things.

I've stopped myself from double jumping near the edge because I always get punished, and I know that Coast used to have a bad habit of doing so, like 6 months ago (just judging by old videos, he broke the habit now I think), and you throw it out kind of a lot and almost never get punished.

That's kind of a bad example, it was just off the top of my head. There are way more examples and I'll try and find some time later to post them. But it's super risky **** that any other ganon would get punished for, yet you can pull off. My head hurts.

@ Hana Na Tahou Hana Na Tahou don't have that sort of attitude. I didn't get my noob ass to my first tournament for a couple months after I started playing. This was mostly due to location johns, but either way, I thought I would do ok because I did ok vs my equally ****ty (at the time) training partners. That did not happen.

Here's what's gonna happen: you're going to get destroyeddddd (like I did). And you'll get frustrated (happened to me). And it'll be your wake up call. But 99% of the people in smash are extremely patient with new players and even eager to help out. Take -ACE- for example... Dude's been playing for 7 years now lol and he still doesn't hesitate to give out advice, start new threads, etc. I even got a match with darkrain my first tournament... A guy like that is, probably even still, so far above my level that I was only barely able to hit him once, but he still gave me sound advice.

Look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkS_E12zqA

What a scrub, right?

Now, look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr_3c_AVSD8

Those videos are less than 2 years apart. I'm pretty sure linguini was talking to tipman and practicing with lampchops right around the time that the first video came out, and starting hitting up the scene... and up until he quit he's been a monster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exEWNk7oits&t=7m24s

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
I'll try and find some more, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPXWZP1aVRY&t=6m34s

You double jumped and hit him with a fair. Literally anyone else would have been punished lol, but you double jumped before he even started dash dancing, like you knew he was going to do ONE quick run away and then come in immediately. That's like an incredibly hard read haha, he could have easily just did a standard dash dance and grabbed you... Among so many other things.

I've stopped myself from double jumping near the edge because I always get punished, and I know that Coast used to have a bad habit of doing so, like 6 months ago (just judging by old videos, he broke the habit now I think), and you throw it out kind of a lot and almost never get punished.
yeah, i don't do it as much now since i remind myself not to, but it slips sometimes. i think Kage just wanted to throw out a hitbox there to keep his distance and colbol just ran into it.

OR KAGE IS THE GREATEST MIND READER OF OUR GENERATION.

watching linguini makes me so giddy. i have never EVER thought about doing bthrow > tipman. my brain is growing.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's why I love Darkrain so much @ PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle and Mango, they both play a similar style to mine. Playing from the heart right? I said before I use my empathy ability to get those reads. I can feel their killer instinct. Actually that DJ was safe because he was way out of range of me. Even if he shielded its still safe somewhat. Gotta know the exact range I suppose... =P

Well.. your head will hurt a lot for a very long time.. lol. I'll just continue to be inside all of your souls! The warrior path has it's merits after all. I've practiced this for 10 years at least now from when I was 16 years old, i practiced Tai Chi for 2 years then I learned more about spirituality. Even if it all sounds BS or out of this world, I'll guarantee you it's real and people love me that I can actually listen to them and their problems. I mean that every human has the same capacity, the degree of it is different however. The books about spirituality is essentially entirely someone else's experience on this world which means you can only really be in tune with what was written if it makes sense with your own experience. That's why it's so hard understand, hell if someone talks about enlightenment with complicated words, I wouldn't understand anything about it either at this moment.

All that to say, you can really practice mostly anything relevant that could help you get an edge over someone else. It doesn't have to be the game if you already know a good deal of fundamentals. What about manipulating people's reactions? Isn't that scary? ;) All you really need to do for that is paying attention to what's going on around you. Everything that was said or happened can be used against someone or for you. Gotta be really careful though not to step on yourself haha.

However I would never use that in friendly relations ever, that's just terrible and evil.

Also, inb4 warrior ****/psychology is too much. lol

Last edited:

spider_sense

Smash Champion
What's going on in this thread again? lol I either play blue or purple Ganon, can't stand green and red since I think they're the ugliest colors Ganon has. (no offense Kage lol) Another reason I played purple was a by right of passage. lol Anyways, I second Marth even though I do decently well with Ganon, I'll consider Marth not so much for match ups, but rather play styles.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
. Here's what's gonna happen: you're going to get destroyeddddd (like I did). And you'll get frustrated (happened to me). And it'll be your wake up call. But 99% of the people in smash are extremely patient with new players and even eager to help out. Take -ACE- for example... Dude's been playing for 7 years now lol and he still doesn't hesitate to give out advice, start new threads, etc. I even got a match with darkrain my first tournament... A guy like that is, probably even still, so far above my level that I was only barely able to hit him once, but he still gave me sound advice.
I know i'll get destroyed, and yes i'll be pretty mad (i hold myself to too high of a standard to win, cause i hate losing). My main reasons for not going are Social Anxiety and i don't have a ride to Cleveland, and i'm very hesitant to ask someone for assistance. I assume i'd warm up to them, and they'd warm to me (i would hope), but it's those first couple times that really make me go "ehh, i dunno.."

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I agree with 100% Pseudo. The smash community is way more friendly and encouraging, which is funny cause the FGC considers us kids when we act way more mature towards each other and new players, yeah they're scumbags like that sometimes. I remember asking for help with Cody in SSF4, I couldn't any advice and I only ever really got decent at it through a handful of chill guys down in my region and that's because they adore my Ganon lol. -Ace- has always been good at giving great advice; all he has to do is get his tech skill down and he'll be a top contender in no time.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah Joe that dj kage did was pretty calculated. He COULD have been punished had Colin dashed immediately, but Kage most likely timed that jump/aerial based on what he had observed of colin's play so far (expected slight hesitation) but in general he was basically the perfect distance away from fox to execute that. I agree with you that DJ's should be used extremely carefully when you are near the ledge or at higher%. But there is also the fact that seemingly dangerous maneuvers are often the best baits.... But you have to be REALLY familiar with your opponent's options at that moment and space it perfectly.

I'm probably going to watch some vids today so if I find any cool examples of anything I'll share them on here and elaborate on their signicance.

Btw, in march I will have been playing this game 10 years ;)

Also, thanks guys. I know I have a talent for explaining things clearly in a simple way. I probably should have been a math teacher instead of a heavy equipment operator, lmao. I plan on practicing more. I'll have to find out if there is anyone who plays this game in savannah. Just got to Tybee island... no smashers in sight. Lol

AND holy F that old linguini vs colbol match is one of my favorites of all time. Emilio went balls deep at 2:08 haha. Wish that would've worked. The first stock and the WF spike/tech is so sick.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I know i'll get destroyed, and yes i'll be pretty mad (i hold myself to too high of a standard to win, cause i hate losing). My main reasons for not going are Social Anxiety and i don't have a ride to Cleveland, and i'm very hesitant to ask someone for assistance. I assume i'd warm up to them, and they'd warm to me (i would hope), but it's those first couple times that really make me go "ehh, i dunno.."
BRO. Stop caring about wins/losses and just try to absorb info like a sponge while playing. You HAVE to be able to take losses as a Ganon main haha, it's going to happen.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yeah Joe that dj kage did was pretty calculated. He COULD have been punished had Colin dashed immediately, but Kage most likely timed that jump/aerial based on what he had observed of colin's play so far (expected slight hesitation) but in general he was basically the perfect distance away from fox to execute that. I agree with you that DJ's should be used extremely carefully when you are near the ledge or at higher%. But there is also the fact that seemingly dangerous maneuvers are often the best baits.... But you have to be REALLY familiar with your opponent's options at that moment and space it perfectly.

I'm probably going to watch some vids today so if I find any cool examples of anything I'll share them on here and elaborate on their signicance.

Btw, in march I will have been playing this game 10 years ;)

Also, thanks guys. I know I have a talent for explaining things clearly in a simple way. I probably should have been a math teacher instead of a heavy equipment operator, lmao. I plan on practicing more. I'll have to find out if there is anyone who plays this game in savannah. Just got to Tybee island... no smashers in sight. Lol

AND holy F that old linguini vs colbol match is one of my favorites of all time. Emilio went balls deep at 2:08 haha. Wish that would've worked. The first stock and the WF spike/tech is so sick.
It's never too late to chase whatever it is you want. =P

BRO. Stop caring about wins/losses and just try to absorb info like a sponge while playing. You HAVE to be able to take losses as a Ganon main haha, it's going to happen.
Ya pretty much, there's no way in hell you can expect to win a tournament off the bat, you need to lose a lot as there's so much catching up to do.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
Especially don't be expecting to win a tournament with Ganondorf no one here does that.

Excluding small locals

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I hope this hasn't been answered too many times, but, how do I deal with Puff? I think I'm using aerials too much, or I'm just really bad at actually hitting them, because it felt like there was no chance to get in between those bairs. Is it better to try and stand your ground against her approaches? Up angled ftilts maybe?
I got absolutely destroyed recently and would like to know if there's a standard when facing Puff.

Last edited:

Clocked

Smash Apprentice
I hope this hasn't been answered too many times, but, how do I deal with Puff? I think I'm using aerials too much, or I'm just really bad at actually hitting them, because it felt like there was no chance to get in between those bairs. Is it better to try and stand your ground against her approaches? Up angled ftilts maybe?
I got absolutely destroyed recently and would like to know if there's a standard when facing Puff.
I'm no expert, and I honestly don't play the matchup all to often, not too many Puffs that I get to play regularly, but I generally try to respect Puff when she's in the air, look for when they come down, and try to get a jab/ftilt or something. A solid read with a forward air will kill at incredibly low percents, so it's good to take a gamble and go for one every so often. In addition, once Puff burns their first 2 or 3 jumps, she really can't come back from below the stage anymore, so once you have her off the stage to any degree, an up-air spike can gimp them extremely early. Honestly, in my experience, it's about coming out strong and dictating the pace, and then seeing if you can get them to throw out a bad rest. Once they miss a rest, it's a free stock for Ganon.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
On a more relevant note all this ganon talk has me wanting to play ganon...too bad my tech sucks now and still miss l-cancel dairs lol
Ah, yes. Linguini's bi-weekly "I'm returning, but I suck now" post. **** outta here dude, you could still sh*t on 90% of us lol we all suck, as kage so eloquently put it. I will personally money match you for $100 (sorry, I'm next to broke) if you find that smash drive you once had and rejoined the scene.

Dude, if you just grind out your tech for, like, a week, you'd be solid as you were before. I stopped for about 4 months without touching a controller and then got my highest placing ever when I came back. I miss when a ganon could beat falco with such consistence. Although now we have Jason, so that's nice.

I played a falco at big house and got 3 stocked and then 4 stocked... and then this guy lost to the Crimson Blur (who I 3 stocked), so clearly I'm just not doing something I should be against the blue bird.

@ -ACE- -ACE- yea dude, LOL. Not sure what they're trying to do here, I got a warning for "censor dodging" or some sh*t (<--- that's a censor dodge, I guess), I was like come on dude take your tampon out, the word f*ck isn't gonna kill anyone. And it's just downright appropriate to use in reference to dorf. It's cool though, if they ban you, you can always just go the dorsey route and make like 50 accounts.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Up angled ftilts are always good, you can generally trade with uair, and bair is your best bet... pretty spammable move in this matchup, actually, especially if retreating. Retreating fairs are good too. Don't ever try and shield grab puff, you'll just get rested or baired. CC puffs up tilt into grab/dtilt is good too, a lot of puffs (obviously) like to throw it out.

Top Bottom