• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hey guys, I'm working on something and need some information from you guys.

Can everyone let me know which colour Ganon they use primarily? Also let me know if you have a decent number of recent vids online, and what youtube channel they're on (or if you want to make things SUPER easy for me, link me a couple vids of you playing :p). Preferably tournament matches or money matches. Friendlies are ok but I'd rather not need to use them.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
LOL I'm lacking vids as always, but I do default Ganon. I think red is my next favorite, maybe. I like them all.
If there are no recent vids, old vids are fine.

That reminds me, I also need the same information for older Ganon mains, so I'm gonna be looking up their vids later. But I need their names. The only 3 I can think of that don't post here are Magus, Tipman and Eddie. Any other old school, relevant Ganons?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
There's still some really good stuff for a self taught ganon... I wasn't at that level after 2 years of training with good people in my area lol.

Having high level smashers within driving distance of yourself is incredible. The Chicago scene right now is also really amazing with the weekly EXP tournaments. Shout outs to the couple that owns it, really great people.

Random tangent, but I've always gotten better in waves, like I'll just start seeing things I didn't see before, openings, spacing, etc. and it's not gradual at all- it's very sudden. Every single time I hit a new "level," it's always after really long breaks. I took a 3 month break when I was overseas and came back and placed top 5 at a local... Never has that happened to me before. Does anyone else feel like this?

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord

Can everyone let me know which colour Ganon they use primarily? Also let me know if you have a decent number of recent vids online, and what youtube channel they're on (or if you want to make things SUPER easy for me, link me a couple vids of you playing :p). Preferably tournament matches or money matches. Friendlies are ok but I'd rather not need to use them.
im gonna start playing green ganon now, since no one uses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlaRgkLyG54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTI1xox5lYc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEFXZzuim1w

every match i get on stream i play like ass, or maybe because these videos arent that recent and ive improved since then and it looks like ass now.

also, i need to get buff as ****.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHx5P3leJXk <-- this is really bad, but there's definitely a lot of room to analyze what NOT to do. I don't say that in an ironic way-- seriously look at what I did and why I got punished, etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIte-ERkKc <-- I played really well, but choked away the lead twice (dat forward throw... lol). Oro beat me here straight up though, he successfully took advantage of his punishes. Much less salt on this one than the other one haha. More stream jitters, very apparent in my panic DI. This is a good one to watch what TO do (rather than what not to do) and how to not freak out and panic DI in when your opponent gets one hit. I actually think I outplayed him during this set, but he had a better mindset and won it more than fairly. Also, look at how I use the perfect waveland ftilts. Not a lot of ganons really do this, but the range is amazing and Marth doesn't really have room to punish it when used in certain situations.

Also, something I'm really proud of (excuse the arrogance): notice the 2 hit zero to death in game three. If you watch the first match, you'll notice that I ledge drop uair twice, successfully. It's important to know that just because an option may have worked in the past, that it won't necessarily work again. I know Oro is a smart player and expected the ledge drop uair, so I held the ledge, assuming he would up-b early to avoid it. He did, and I got the stock... This is the part I'm proud of, not the combo. You don't always have to throw out moves to beat your opponent, sometimes a simple read and a simple solution will get you the best results. I pushed one button and he lost the stock. I believe that this is very important.

And then notice how I flubbed the RLD uair right after. I knew at this point that he expected me to: stay on the ledge OR come down and ledge drop uair. I thought that the RLD would give me enough range and a surprise factor to clip him. To be fair, if I had thrown out another uair, it would have hit him, but I panicked and he took full advantage of it. Either way, I got hasty, and it resulted in the loss of my stock.

Shout outs to not having a SINGLE win on youtube and nobody knowing the proper way to spell the word "pseudo." Lol.

Also, blue ganon is the best ganon.

Hey, @spider_sense do you know a fox named smiles? I searched his tag on youtube and found a couple of vids of him at VS, playing pork chops etc. I played him at big house.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Smilez is Dwayne, an old school FL fox main and one of the coolest guys you'll ever meet. Love that guy. We go pretty even Ganon vs fox usually. He's the man.

Laharl's_Wrath

Smash Apprentice
So...
holy **** Justice was amazing
didnt make it out of pools, unfortunately, but I also didn't lose every game so that's a plus
and by the end of the night I was playing better than I ever have in my life, it's unbelievable
definitely feels like it'd be possible to improve enough to get out next time around

played a solid amount of friendlies with random people but probably should have played more but I kept getting distracted watching other matches (it's hard to decide between playing friendlies and watching Green Ranger and Phish It's bracket matches, that dk hype)

and then when the bracket was coming to a close (spoilering the rest since it has bracket info)
oh my god I never want to have to watch on stream again it was crazy
with DJ Nintendo and co. standing right behind me when The Moon was playing Zhu
the cheering and smack talk was real

but the hype when Hax played Armada was unreal
NY tournament, NY player
and idk, I havent ever spoken to him but Hax is one of my favorite Fox's to watch, he's just so slippery
so even if this:
I can't stand many sponsored players these days.. That self-love mentality kills me inside where all they care about is playing the elites or their own success without caring about how they got there in the first place. It's super frustrating that these kinds of players forgot where they come from initially. Even Mango mentioned that Hax only talks to you when he wants something, omg.. if you read Melee Social I had some real beef with him. And also the part where they think they are always right, that ticks me so hard. lol
was the case I was still screaming my head off whenever he took a stock
gotta rep NY yo

all in all
Justice was outstanding
I probably could have played more and didn't talk to many people as I realized I didnt really have much to say but still
I had so much fun and felt notable improvement and it was just an amazing night
so
I want to thank you all again because why the **** did I wait so long to do this

Random: some say you need several training partners to practice the multiple aspects of melee. Someone better than you (defense, the finer aspects of spacing), someone close to your level (understanding mindgames and adapting in neutral game), and someone below your level (combos, punish game). If you're new I think there's some truth to that depending on the matchup. It can get discouraging if you're trying to get used to Ganon in an established region.

Record whenever possible and post it here, you'll get good feedback.
Also wanted to say I mostly agree with this but think a training partner below your level (if your level isnt overly high) doesn't really provide much benefit because while it provides you more opportunities to practice your punish game if they have really bad exploitable habits or di it might not be realistically helping your punish game against tougher players

and on that note I reallllly wish I knew a ganon player nearby to learn from in-person

annnnyway this post contributes essentially nothing to the thread but regardless
tl,dr **** was fun, y'all rock, I'm an idiot for not doing this sooner

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Also wanted to say I mostly agree with this but think a training partner below your level (if your level isnt overly high) doesn't really provide much benefit because while it provides you more opportunities to practice your punish game if they have really bad exploitable habits or di it might not be realistically helping your punish game against tougher players
True, but when you're new you aren't going to have many openings against good players, so at that stage of one's melee career it can be beneficial. You have to approach it knowing that he'll have bad habits and use the time for practicing combos, chaingrabs, and such. You need to be able to execute combos fluidly in melee when the opportunity arises. Plus, you've practiced combos against the computer right? Any human is better than that.

Remember I give advice for lurkers that may know very little about Ganon and have hardly any experience. I'm definitely not saying kage should dedicate 1/3 of his practice to playing scrubs LOL.

Laharl's_Wrath

Smash Apprentice
@ -Ace- fair enough my line of thought was that rarer opportunities to punish means focusing more on getting as much as you can out of a punish but that doesnt really matter if you cant actually execute it due to lack of practice so yeahhh

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
True, but when you're new you aren't going to have many openings against good players, so at that stage of one's melee career it can be beneficial.
can confer with ace on this one. last year when i was really starting to go to tournaments for the first time, i had three main training partners. a peach/sheik player that was better than me, but i could take games off him every once in awhile. a bunch of scrubs from back home. and the other was gravy.

both good players were beneficial to my progress, but in different ways. the peach/sheik allowed me to actually develop a sound neutral game (i hope one day i'll get a good match on stream so you guys can see) and punish game as i could actually take stocks off him. he was also a former puff player with a lot of gimmicks, so i learned how to di and avoid simple tricks (like utilt rest with puff). as the year wore on, my progress against him was very visible and i could see myself improving with every smash session. by the end of the year i was beating him more times than he was beating me.

fighting a much higher level opponent helped me a lot, but i didn't really realize it until this summer. gravy pretty much just tore me up every time we played. absolutely no mercy. so as you can imagine, it was hard for me to practice my punishes, edgeguards and other things against him. but what i did learn was a lot of smash theory; the importance of center stage, the correct mindset for improvement, etc. i also picked up a lot of ideas from him such as shield drops, microspacing to beat out someone by hitting their hitbox and other things of that nature. at the time, i was not skilled enough to execute these ideas but in the last few months that practice has paid off.

so i guess what i'm saying is that playing with someone better than you but not by a lot will give you really visible improvement results. but playing a much higher level player improves you in a slower manner. you don't realize how great the advice you get is until you get better from playing worse people.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
@ -Ace- fair enough my line of thought was that rarer opportunities to punish means focusing more on getting as much as you can out of a punish but that doesnt really matter if you cant actually execute it due to lack of practice so yeahhh
That's also true, and maximizing punishment is an important skill that all melee players constantly try to perfect. A lot of it depends on what type of learner someone is, and how they naturally approach the game (style/mindset).

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
i copied renth and use blue ganondorf. most of the technical ganondorfs use either blue or purple, actually. hmmmm
You, me, spidey, renth, bizz, linguini... damn. That's crazy.

Then there's kage, ace, tm, and coast, who are smarter and use brown/green.

The only 2 ganons who don't fit are n0ne and G. Vice. Interesting.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I was once quite techy. I can still do everything, just not with the same consistency, so I refrain, being afraid of SD's. I was at cool stuff gaming center in FL a month ago, borrowed someone's controller that was thoroughly broken in (I almost always have a new white one nowadays), and knew i could RLD 100% so I did like 5 the first match vs spider_sense and he was so surprised. Right then I was like, oh lord, I need to break my controller in, get a CRT from a pawn shop, and hammer out tech skill every day after work on my next job, lol.

The only thing I really have trouble with is moonwalking to the left. Nowhere near as consistent as going to the right.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I REALLY wish I could master RLD to dj platform dash (waveland on lower platform) on BF but it takes SWD-like speed with the joystick and very precise timing with R/L.

http://youtu.be/JNowu9dQE6Y#t=0m25s

If that link doesn't work just go to 25 seconds... This is just the waveland, I've never done it out of RLD. BUT I WILL

Last edited:

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
i copied renth and use blue ganondorf. most of the technical ganondorfs use either blue or purple, actually. hmmmm
In that case, I feel like I should stop playing Purple, I'm not technical at all XD It's like I'm lying by using purple "oh yeah I'm fast as ****" *proceeds to miss all my L Cancels*

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
yeah i used to be flashy too, then raynEX was like "dude stop its not doing anything for you right now."
There are times when it's quite useful. Raynex is a great player but that is a narrow-minded statement, as you'd never want to encourage a Ganon main to be slower (which I hope he didn't do to you). Of course you need to use tech wisely, and at the time, I'm sure he had a good point, but don't let that discourage you from adding more options to your game.

n0ne

Smash Ace
You, me, spidey, renth, bizz, linguini... damn. That's crazy.

Then there's kage, ace, tm, and coast, who are smarter and use brown/green.

The only 2 ganons who don't fit are n0ne and G. Vice. Interesting.
Tl;dr, what is it that doesnt fit about me and G. Vice? If its color, i always go neutral

Coastward

Smash Lord
There are times when it's quite useful. Raynex is a great player but that is a narrow-minded statement, as you'd never want to encourage a Ganon main to be slower (which I hope he didn't do to you). Of course you need to use tech wisely, and at the time, I'm sure he had a good point, but don't let that discourage you from adding more options to your game.
i was just moonwalking and **** for no reason during matches, i guess i didnt explain too well. i still try to move as fast as i can, i just dont do it stupidly anymore.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Yo, n0ne it was about technical style and color choice. Purple/blue ganons for some reason tend to be more flashy (besides you and G. Vice. And I guess ACE before he stopped practicing haha).

@ -ACE- -ACE- try RLD --> edge-cancelled dair/fair --> waveland on platform. I have no idea why, but it's soooo much easier than just RLD to waveland on platform. I can do it pretty consistently with the edge cancel, but I've gotten it maybe once in my life without it... lol.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Lol we've all been guilty of that coast. Well except for kage/linguini, damn those guys have a lot to work on.

/sarcasm

Yeah Joe it's easier because you don't have to basically super wd (hold forward after dj, snap back for RLD, immediately snap forward for platform dash). And I think you can dj a frame earlier.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I used to use purple back in the day too for a while because it was good camouflage on BF. All these colour mindgames though.. Expecting a Ganon to be more technical because he's blue.. >_< /Mango

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I mean, isnt default color best on every single character???!??1111

Everyone say yes in
I definitely don't play any character in Melee as default colour.

Guys RED ganon is my AGGRESSIVE ganon. Lmao. I think I might start doing this.
Red Ganon = Angry Ganon?

Top Bottom