• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
don't get grabbed
Understanding this is truly essential vs Falcon and it can often determine who will win or lose the match being played. I feel this is a topic we should discuss.

What do you guys do against characters like Falcon, Sheik, or Marth to avoid getting grabbed? Share your thoughts, tactics, or theorycrafting. :colorful:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
DON'T DROP COMBOS. Don't drop grabs, regrabs, or punishes out of grab. Don't give your opponent free space (especially marth and falcon, in this case).

If you must, or plan to hit a shield with an aerial, always space aerials outside of grab range. Once you have enough control to space moves accurately you can bait grabs (must be very familiar with opponent's grab range)

Don't get caught in your shield often. Know which situations are safer than others when it comes to shield usage.

Oh and don't miss L-cancels.

That takes care of most things that cause grabs Imo (mostly mistakes). On to specifics?

Falcon- greatest DD in the game and you have to learn how to deal with it. Being able to react quickly is paramount. Grabs are always an option for falcon, his basic approaches lead to grabs, and he has reliable ABC combo's on Ganon out of dthrow/uthrow. You can't let his DD intimidate you into overuse of shield. It's better to know exactly what his options are, and react quickly to counter an approach when you think it's coming... in a way that does not give him free space OR an easy grab/punish (high ftilt, jab/cc jab, uair, etc). When I get hit I primarily DI down and away to try to get away from grabs and if I must tech, I will try to tech before falcon can set himself up for mindgames or multiple option coverage.

Marth- spacing or aerials is crucial and and centered around his grab range (not to mention his fair, but that's another story). His DD is almost as good as falcon's because of this and one grab from marth usually leads to a string of grabs or a short combo. If nothing else, Marth can always pressure Ganon following a throw. Keep him outside until you can space an aerial accurately or deal with one of his approaches properly. Mis-spaced approaches will give marth free grabs. Aside from DI'ing approaches away, if you get grabbed, you must DI his throws properly and tech as quickly and as intelligently as possible to prevent multiple regrabs (not to mention other punishes like fsmash).

Sheik- At least she doesn't have a DD, lol. Any time sheik is inside she can get a grab- out of jab, any tilt, or even l-canceled aerials. Then Ganon gets rekt. A strong ground game will make sheik jump more and get you punishes. If your ground game is weak you'll get grabbed a lot. Patience is really important and your approaches must be chosen wisely. DI those jabs and tilts away to prevent gimme grabs. I like to DI up and away, all the way to the ledge quite a bit. If you are very comfortable on the ledge while being pressured it is basically neutral game. Reseting the game to neutral is much better than eating a grab.

Boredom ramble.

:c OK I don't know how to get rid of that smiley. I give up

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
here are some of the matches on twitch, bracket matches and money matches.

http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/b/564005369?t=1h36m23s - vs mario
www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/b/564005369?t=1h40m18s - vs samus, zelda/sheik, marth
www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/b/564005369?t=1h52m31s - vs peach
http://www.twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming/b/563978479?t=35m47s - vs falcon/fox (IF ANYTHING IS WATCHED, WATCH THIS)

some other matches need to be uploaded since the twitch VODs are messed. one match i had was against a falco that i knew i had a good chance of beating. we played in pools and he beat me 2-1. i took him to FD to test things out since you guys were talking about how its not a bad stage, and i honestly agree. i got 3 stocked on there though lmao, wasnt playing the laser game right and like i said before, my defensive game is pretty diarrhea. we played far into the losers bracket afterwards and it was still 2-1 him.

what are good ways to practice shield dropping + wdoos other than just practicing the execution? i wanna get that **** burned into my brain and make it muscle memory.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
As far as the Falcon matchup for me goes, not getting grabbed is something I should work on more, cause my friend gets a bunch of shield grab on me and then proceeds to get free follow-ups from that grab, even at 0%. I definitely don't space my aerials on Falcon's shield well enough, I gotta aim with Ganon's fist more often, cause that sucker is long. The Falcon matchup can really be a pain for me in neutral cause even when you do get a grab, you're not going to get as much guaranteed off of it as Falcon can get off of you. You can't really even chain-grab the guy, if he DI's correctly, so you pretty much have to tech-chase him like any other fast faller. I definitely want to use high ftilt more in neutral to catch him nairing, cause that seems to work. Wavedash back into a high ftilt covers that space pretty well, especially if Falcon tries to nair through you. Falcon just straight up gets a lot of momentum off of grabbing me and it's something that can annoy me, but I just gotta not get grabbed.

For the Marth matchup, at least if I do get grabbed by Marth, it's not a guaranteed 0-death combo he can do, and if I get out, I'll take at most 20% at times. I like that Ganon has at least some sort of guaranteed follow-up against Marth, especially at high percents, just fair/bair him depending on DI. I gotta CC Marth's attacks more, cause they keep putting me in the air, like uptilt, dtilt, and among others. It's great when I get that moment to space out marth with my fair because my fair is better than his, yet sadly i don't think my bair is (or maybe I'm just spacing it badly). Marth just doesn't have as many good approach options as Falcon has, so for me, neutral is more about movement.

As for Sheik, there are times where I am able to avoid the really gimmicky ways that she can grab me, like needle into a grab, or fair into grab, but it's when Sheik mixes up how she gets grabs that puts me off. And of course if I get the grab, I'm going to chain-grab and pummel the *****. Her approach game is the worst out of all three, and I could probably bait her by putting my shield up, then full hopping out of shield after she tries to grab, then come down with a dair if she doesn't expect it, or come down and tomahawk her and grab her instead. Feels really good to know that you turned around the grabbing situation on her.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
DON'T DROP COMBOS. Don't drop grabs, regrabs, or punishes out of grab. Don't give your opponent free space (especially marth and falcon, in this case).

If you must, or plan to hit a shield with an aerial, always space aerials outside of grab range. Once you have enough control to space moves accurately you can bait grabs (must be very familiar with opponent's grab range)

Don't get caught in your shield often. Know which situations are safer than others when it comes to shield usage.

Oh and don't miss L-cancels.

That takes care of most things that cause grabs Imo (mostly mistakes). On to specifics?

Falcon- greatest DD in the game and you have to learn how to deal with it. Being able to react quickly is paramount. Grabs are always an option for falcon, his basic approaches lead to grabs, and he has reliable ABC combo's on Ganon out of dthrow/uthrow. You can't let his DD intimidate you into overuse of shield. It's better to know exactly what his options are, and react quickly to counter an approach when you think it's coming... in a way that does not give him free space OR an easy grab/punish (high ftilt, jab/cc jab, uair, etc). When I get hit I primarily DI down and away to try to get away from grabs and if I must tech, I will try to tech before falcon can set himself up for mindgames or multiple option coverage.

Marth- spacing or aerials is crucial and and centered around his grab range (not to mention his fair, but that's another story). His DD is almost as good as falcon's because of this and one grab from marth usually leads to a string of grabs or a short combo. If nothing else, Marth can always pressure Ganon following a throw. Keep him outside until you can space an aerial accurately or deal with one of his approaches properly. Mis-spaced approaches will give marth free grabs. Aside from DI'ing approaches away, if you get grabbed, you must DI his throws properly and tech as quickly and as intelligently as possible to prevent multiple regrabs (not to mention other punishes like fsmash).

Sheik- At least she doesn't have a DD, lol. Any time sheik is inside she can get a grab- out of jab, any tilt, or even l-canceled aerials. Then Ganon gets rekt. A strong ground game will make sheik jump more and get you punishes. If your ground game is weak you'll get grabbed a lot. Patience is really important and your approaches must be chosen wisely. DI those jabs and tilts away to prevent gimme grabs. I like to DI up and away, all the way to the ledge quite a bit. If you are very comfortable on the ledge while being pressured it is basically neutral game. Reseting the game to neutral is much better than eating a grab.

Boredom ramble.

:c OK I don't know how to get rid of that smiley. I give up
I love the Sheik match-up tips man. I often forget about the need for a great ground game.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
To answer Wanted's questions:

1. You can do two bairs in one full hop. You just have to bair the moment you leave the ground.
  2. It is impossible to full-hop dair into an upair without double jumping.
  3. That's a frame 1 input and I used to do it my hitting away on c-stick to let go of ledge, hitting up on control stick to jump, and hit Z while holding up to upair, all in a 2 frame span. But realistically, I'll upair onto the stage and l-cancel it.
  4. If you can get to a platform, you can drop through and bair or uair to hit the side-b nonsense. If you can't get to a platform in time, if they side-b onstage, you can CC that **** and then grab the spacie, or bair him back off the stage. If he goes for the sweetspot and you can't reach a platform above the ledge in time, or you're on FD, then just run up to the ledge and put out a low-angled ftilt.
How do you guys do your instant uairs off the ground? I'm finding the timing I'm doing it just barely a little too far off the ground, and it can't hit Fox consistently.
1. I can't believe I still can't do it. I can do the instant uairs but not this. So frustrating.

2. I don't think you're understanding me. I'm saying full hop dair, double jump uair/bair and get out another uair/bair before hitting the ground. I saw @ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] do it on stream and tried to do it myself to no avail. Well I guess doing it with the initial bair was nice to learn, but I'd like to do it with dair as well.

3. I'll try it that way. See, I want to learn how to do that because l-canceling the uair on stage won't get the uair to hit everywhere you need it. And using the regrab ledgehop uair would allow me to cover the side-b option from spacies and then I could just l-cancel the next one to cover the up-b. Or I could ledgehop onto the stage and bair or whatever. It has a lot of potential for good setups and I think it's underused.

4. I'll try those things next chance I get.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
@ Coastward Coastward you need to stop just jumping off-stage and dairing. You didn't hit with that once, and you gave up precious stage control with that move, and you put yourself in a bad position where you can get edgeguarded. I once did that too out of bad habit, but it's only really useful for the hard read of their double jump. Play it a bit more safe on stage, going off isn't always the best options to cover all the options. You caught Sanu a few times off stage with your fair to upair, but if he would have adapted to that, then you would have probably lost a stock cause of it. Also, upair Falcon more as an edgeguard. It gives him less opportunities to just up-b and trick you to getting the ledge. Send him downwards, when Falcon is below the ledge, that's a dead Falcon. Bair is good for pushing him further out, but you seal the deal with a reverse upair. I'm surprised Sanu didn't upthrow you more as Ganon, cause Falcon gets hella free follow-ups off of up-throw. Against Fox, you need to control space better and do retreating fairs and bairs almost all the time; make him lenient to directly approaching you. After you got those two quick stocks and the game was even, Sanu then played more patiently and you still played kinda sporadic. Watch out for that; adapting is key.

1. I can't believe I still can't do it. I can do the instant uairs but not this. So frustrating.

2. I don't think you're understanding me. I'm saying full hop dair, double jump uair/bair and get out another uair/bair before hitting the ground. I saw @ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] do it on stream and tried to do it myself to no avail. Well I guess doing it with the initial bair was nice to learn, but I'd like to do it with dair as well.

3. I'll try it that way. See, I want to learn how to do that because l-canceling the uair on stage won't get the uair to hit everywhere you need it. And using the regrab ledgehop uair would allow me to cover the side-b option from spacies and then I could just l-cancel the next one to cover the up-b. Or I could ledgehop onto the stage and bair or whatever. It has a lot of potential for good setups and I think it's underused.

4. I'll try those things next chance I get.
For #2, yes you can do that. Full-hop dair into a double jump bair/uair and falling into another bair/uair is definitely possible. You just gotta know when these moves end and hit them as soon as you can. Just practice this by yourself in solo. You'll get it down soon enough. Pretty sure if you just refresh invincibility and then upair from the ledge onto the stage at the right time, you can cover fox/falco side-bing high. The only option it wouldn't cover is a high-angled up-b, which is definitely react-able.

And marth. I think it needs to be used more in the marth matchup, especially if the marth is grounded a lot.
I think dtilt can be used sparingly out of a CC, but it's slow enough that Marth could even react to it and grab you. Be careful about it.

I messed around a bit in solo yesterday and I find short-hop away into a perfect waveland backwards and jabbing out of the waveland in the direction you wavelanded is really fast and can scare your opponent. Also, full-hop instant upair into waveland looks like it has a lot of potential to cover space and have good position.

s0teric

Smash Rookie
A reminder: if in a pinch you can CC dtilt falcon's nair to follow up, I believe. What do you guys think of this option? Could you also CC nair to jab/grab? How does that compare? In general, to stuff aggro falcon approaches you should upward ftilt, but I have trouble timing this. I assume it's safer than spaced bair or uair, but are all of these viable options?

Coastward

Smash Lord
I think kage is right, the entire jab animation takes 21 frames. It may hit on frame 3-5, but if hit on shield, wouldn't the opponent have 16-18 frames to punish? Considering that falcon's nair hits on frame 7, it would seem that jab on shield is punishable.

Edit: Well It's interruptible at frame 19, so the window is 2 frames smaller, but the point stands. Although to clarify, spider sense, are you referring to punishing an aerial out of shield? or actually jabbing the shield? Because that makes a difference.

Imo, that was the misunderstanding. Just anticipate the aerial oos, kage, and jab it. That's what I think was meant.
you also have to factor the frames it takes for falcon to jump as well. 5 frames to be airborne + 7 frame for nair would make 12 frames in total, leaving really 4-5 frames of punishment.

i was catching falcons jumping out of shield a lot after i ftilted them, then i just followed up with jab.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
But d-tilt is super punishable imho. Almost a guaranteed grab punish by Marth and possible grab punish by Sheik.
Agreed. But I'm also in agreement with Mark that dtilt offers a great hitbox as far as range and follow-up potential. It isn't a bad mixup out of CC but not 100% safe. It just has massive cooldown time and has to be used intelligently/sparingly.

s0teric

Smash Rookie
you also have to factor the frames it takes for falcon to jump as well. 5 frames to be airborne + 7 frame for nair would make 12 frames in total, leaving really 4-5 frames of punishment.

i was catching falcons jumping out of shield a lot after i ftilted them, then i just followed up with jab.
True, true, I just left the jump out of it because they had that amount of frames to execute, but yeah they only have a few frames of wiggle room on actually getting the nair out, so jab is probably an option. Just gotta watch out, because it is possible to lose out to the nair/ other characters' aerials in that situation. Having good spacing is important. You might also be able to scoop them out of their jump with a uair. What do you guys think of this? Seems like a good way to waste an opponent's jump.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i was chaingrabbing a falco in friendlies last night, and there were people watching. one guy behind me shouted "OOH ITS MAGUS420" and then the person beside him said "coast probably doesnt know who that is."

i paused the game, turned around, looked at them, and then started chaingrabbing again. felt gooooooood.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i was chaingrabbing a falco in friendlies last night, and there were people watching. one guy behind me shouted "OOH ITS MAGUS420" and then the person beside him said "coast probably doesnt know who that is."

i paused the game, turned around, looked at them, and then started chaingrabbing again. felt gooooooood.
i'm more surprised that someone watching knew who magus was. that's neat.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Understanding this is truly essential vs Falcon and it can often determine who will win or lose the match being played. I feel this is a topic we should discuss.

What do you guys do against characters like Falcon, Sheik, or Marth to avoid getting grabbed? Share your thoughts, tactics, or theorycrafting. :colorful:
I find if marth does a dash grab you can just do a standing grab, or i try to space fairs against marth and l cancel into jab or f tilt. And his roll helps too. You can actually roll around arth if he is close but i think if he times it he may be able to grab you out of the roll

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
What do you do against a hyper agressive falco who can also o to death easily? Ive played slower falcos and its easier with less laser pressure but against this one falco its tough. He can short hop laser perfectly or waveshine pressure on shield. I try to lightshield and it works sometimes for a grab. Also learned the hard way not to challenge the dair ever from below.

Superspright

Smash Lord
What do you do against a hyper agressive falco who can also o to death easily? Ive played slower falcos and its easier with less laser pressure but against this one falco its tough. He can short hop laser perfectly or waveshine pressure on shield. I try to lightshield and it works sometimes for a grab. Also learned the hard way not to challenge the dair ever from below.
You can beat dair by timing your uair to scoot around the hitboxes but that's only if he's super telegraphed. Laser pressure is something that can be dealt with in a lot of ways.

1. Learn to powershield, but primarily learn to powershield the combo laser, or the pressure laser. The laser they typically shoot before attacking you. Lots of Falco's use lasers to probe your defenses and really good Falcos will shield poke you with it and put you in an untenable position.
2. Learn to CC the laser and punish. This one is a little trickier because you have to time it, and they have to not make the read. Try not to make it obvious or do it more than twice in a row.
3. Learn to SDI the laser to scoot away from an approach. Not easy, but not super hard either. This is only if your opponent likes to commit to microspacing just around your grab range and stuff. If they love cross overs this won't be helping you at all you're just gonna get creamed.
4. Learn to SDI the laser in the air and waveland. Jank as hell, but very effective and not easy.
5. Waveland/wavedash underneath the laser. Super situational and not easy to do I feel. It works only if you time it right.
6. Powershield -> Roll behind if you want to apply some strong neutral pressure. You're usually not at any advantage per se unless you're within grab range but your opponent may spaz from the return laser.
7. Eat the laser mid-air then uair.
8. Hard shield the laser you suspect is going to be followed up on, then in sheildstun switch to light shield with Z then you will usually escape the dair/bair stuff and go back to neutral. (this works best at the edge where they love to give the double dip after a shield-poke. The light-shield ensures two things A) they won't get the hit, and B) you'll be invincible on the ledge. You can counter-attack from there.
9. Usmash technically on the lowest laser it goes through his feet when he goes to swing his legs. Good luck making that work.
10. SH then instantly fair so you can scoot over the laser (he pulls his hurtboxes more horizontally so he can get over certain laser heights), this also works with uair, but fair is typically better if you can time it right.

Lasers are annoying and you don't have many good tools to deal with them, but I think you can do a few things to get around them or mitigate their effectiveness. There's other things you can do I'm sure but I can't think of them atm. lol

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
You are crazy.. lol. Sheik shield downtilt into wd OOS grab into Ganon death.. She doesn't even need to throw out much until Ganon commits to one move then she can take your stock so easily.
but that's only on shield. i would think it'd be good in the neutral given it's range if you predict what sheik will do.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Dealing with Falco pressuring my shield is a lot easier when you wait in shield until the shine comes out. Right after that shine hits your shield, depending on the direction you're facing, shield-grab, uair OoS, or up-b OoS.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i think i find that if a falco mixes up his shield pressure and goes behind your shield and utilts, you can get a free upb oos.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
idk about up-b oos. it comes out kind of slow and is super punishable if you wiff it. also it's hard to follow up on and doesn't have that great knock back. i think it's better used on people in their shields, especially while they're on platforms.

Superspright

Smash Lord
idk about up-b oos. it comes out kind of slow and is super punishable if you wiff it. also it's hard to follow up on and doesn't have that great knock back. i think it's better used on people in their shields, especially while they're on platforms.
He's right, it's a frame trap. It DEFINITELY works on powershield. Cannot be stopped. Always go for it. Train it for muscle memory because you will get 0 opportunities to punish it otherwise.

Blea Gelo

Smash Lord
LOL Foh @ Blea Gelo Blea Gelo Don't worry, I know that you know your day is coming, you know I'm getting closer and that scares you. :p Anyways, wavedashing out of shield really helps vs the lasers, especially if you can get a powershield game going. It's typically best to keep track of the lasers that way you won't feel or get overwhelmed. Falco can only shoot 1-2 at a time. Short hop uair prevents Falco's from jumping so he can't laser whenever he feels like it. Jab works wonders up close as well because it keeps him pinned in his shield and unable to do retaliate (unless he shines out of shield which can become predictable)
What? U r a scrub lol

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
He's right, it's a frame trap. It DEFINITELY works on powershield. Cannot be stopped. Always go for it. Train it for muscle memory because you will get 0 opportunities to punish it otherwise.
You should always go for power shield up-b? What? That seems way too hard to do consistently. I'd much rather wait for my opponent to space poorly and dair/bair oos where at least I can follow up and take center stage.

Last edited:

Superspright

Smash Lord
Against up-tilt it works every time. Everything else? Not so sure. It's good against shine->grab when you can shield SDI away enough to escape the grab.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Against up-tilt it works every time. Everything else? Not so sure. It's good against shine->grab when you can shield SDI away enough to escape the grab.
Again, I'd shield grab if I managed to SDI away. That'd lead to a tech chase and other good things. Perhaps if I was facing the wrong way it'd be a better option.

Top Bottom