• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
i don't really mind the spacies MU. it's sheik that really ****s me over.
Try getting people play against who play those characters so you can start to look for how high they bounce their jump heights, try different grabs.. Look for kill percents. Sheik has an amazing crouch cancel so the jab is not good against her.

Coastward

Smash Lord
the people i train with exclusively play sheik lmao.

i beat sheiks pretty early on in matches, but once they start playing me a bit they start to gain a lot of momentum. i wanna get some training in with KK just so that i can get a feel of a proper sheik MU. her crouch is lame as **** though, like why can you dodge my grab like that pls.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I am still working on that matchup too man. I feel like i have to fight shieks grab game the entire time. One grab could mean stock. And the hell her fair is better. Why. Ganon is like five times her size. My fair should banish her from the game

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Kage, just watched your set with weon-x..... really nice reads and dair punishment. you let him have the ledge every time he sweetspotted his up-b/side-b and just stuck to edge pressure... when the firefox is angled down to sweetspot the edge, reverse uair spike and low ftilt can work but you must be closer to the edge (uair must be spaced as if you were going for an edge cancel basically) or just dair him the instant he's grabbing the ledge. he went for the ledge option so much I'm surprised you didn't punch him out of it lol. but anyway, although your edge pressure is strong, if you stepped up your edge guarding you would have 2 stocked him 2-0 I bet. That last fair was soooo close.

Renth

Smash Hero
Sheiks approach game sucks.

If you approach her you are going to lose.

If you are in your shield do not shield grab she will just duck it and have free punish

Down tilt is god like spacing move in that match up.
Seriously, down tilt more

ect.ect.ect.

Coastward

Smash Lord
yeah, the last time i was playing my friend he said to me

"stop approaching with fair because i can just wavedash back easily and grab you"

so i gotta figure out a new gameplan for sheik. dtil is pretty godlike too, and uair is a lifesaver.

PunkAaron

Smash Cadet
NNID
PunkAaron
yeah, the last time i was playing my friend he said to me

"stop approaching with fair because i can just wavedash back easily and grab you"

so i gotta figure out a new gameplan for sheik. dtil is pretty godlike too, and uair is a lifesaver.
d-tilts and f-tilts work well against sheik form what I've experienced. If you can, don't let him get below you obviously. Not much Ganon can do in air besides a highly predictable dair.

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
I'd much rather face a good sheik with ganon than a good falco. With sheik I can at least establish some neutral game(don't get grabbed) that allows me to create and find openings. Plus the chaingrab.

Coastward

Smash Lord
i think the reason why i find falco easier than sheik is because i haven't faced a really good falco yet. when i play raynex i can at least take 2 stocks off of his falco now.

fox and sheik are seriously the threats imo. fox has a stronger pressure game while sheik is just purely lame.

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
In theory, Fox is the worst yeah. I play lozr's fox a bit who has really good ganon game, despite not being a TOP player. But I still have to go with falco being ganon's toughest matchup currently by a hair. just my opinion though.

and spacing your aerials out of grab range in general is just a make or break thing v. sheik, IC's, etc... at least for me. I get destroyed otherwise. Those handful of matchups that force me to actually focus on my neutral game if i want to do well(lame ass ****.. but, falco's worse ;) ).

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That last game looked like there was a total momentum shift. You had all the momentum the first two stocks, but then the last two, Weon-X had all the momentum. It really sucks playing a Fox when he has that kind of momentum. :(
Not exactly, if I made an input error then Fox punishes me for it.. it doesn't mean he has the momentum, it means I have made mistakes that costed me the game. Remember that you can always turn the game around, the momentum means the Fox would corner himself a lot because he was scared. It's clear as day in the video that's what he's doing. Anyways, I already played a lot on monday and will do so tonight as well and A LOT more in the future.. im ****ing tired of losing because of input errors when I know I can beat these guys without struggling that much. I need to get the full power back when I could contend with the best. Mango beat me pretty hard this tourney but I didnt feel like it was impossible, he just punished me at really bad spots and I missed a lot of things, I rewatched the vids.. it makes me salty as hell lol.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Well damn I feel dumb, I realized yesterday that if I want my tech chase to cover 3/4 options by using side-b or down-b, I need to wait until the moment that the opponent lands after the downthrow in order to properly cover the options. I've been trying to do it too fast for too long.

Also, down-throw jab to regrab is mad good.

What's the general consensus on nairs?
Useful for catching opponents on platforms as a pseudo-tech-chase, you can use it to combo Marth after a downthrow, and the first hit can be useful to extend a combo. Kage probably knows more applications that I do cause he uses it a lot.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Or double jump and throw out another dair lol.

But full hop dair vs marth isn't the safest move, keep that in mind.
Double jumping huh? Careful with that.. That habit of DJing after getting hit needs to go.. or even just DJing when the opponent is near.

What's the general consensus on nairs?
Very good to juggle opponents and also to put opponents on platforms... both instance you have to hit it on the first hit. And putting people on platforms = easy techchase read. Downthrow into Nair on works at 0 on Marth, Peach for example. Usually it's good to do on floaties at low % since you can pop them up then put them in a bad position or at mid % on fast fallers for juggling too.

Actually at GOML vs Juggleguy.. he ledgejumped then I chased his jump with double hit Nair into DJ fair off-stage and killed him at 50%.. lol. (True combo with the DI) There's probably still hidden uses for it as you Ganons refuse to use it for whatever reason.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Double jumping huh? Careful with that.. That habit of DJing after getting hit needs to go.. or even just DJing when the opponent is near.

Very good to juggle opponents and also to put opponents on platforms... both instance you have to hit it on the first hit. And putting people on platforms = easy techchase read. Downthrow into Nair on works at 0 on Marth, Peach for example. Usually it's good to do on floaties at low % since you can pop them up then put them in a bad position or at mid % on fast fallers for juggling too.

Actually at GOML vs Juggleguy.. he ledgejumped then I chased his jump with double hit Nair into DJ fair off-stage and killed him at 50%.. lol. (True combo with the DI) There's probably still hidden uses for it as you Ganons refuse to use it for whatever reason.
Actually, I started to experiment with it in other ways yesterday. I like to throw out uairs vs fox in case of an areal approach, but Ripple started noticing that I did that, so he would wait for the uair and then come in and punish. Nair will trade with a fox approach and doesn't allow for fox to come in and punish the same way as he would normally for a whiffed uair. He got hit by it a couple times. It's not super viable, but it's definitely a mixup if you're getting punished on your uair game.

And DJing after a spot dodge is relatively safe, right? 99 times out of 100, they're in their shield after a spot dodge and you're in the air as ganon lol. But you're right about DJing in general. I do that way too often after I get hit and then all I have is that ****ty up-b recovery.

And jiggles, you're gonna get demolished. Absolutely and utterly *****. It's cool, it happens to everyone at their first tournament. But learn from it, don't get discouraged (like I did lol) and get the chance to play as many people as possible and have them give you tips on your spacing and fundamentals. Tournaments are easily the thing that has made me improve more than anything else. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Joe if Ripple is waiting on the uair like that, you can bait him so easily. retreating uair to dj is VERY hard for fox to punish even with sh nair. just increase the space/retreat with it more, dj and punish. you'll have more options with platforms.

the problem with nair as an approach is that its not very disjointed. You can win exchanges from your opponent not being used to the timing/hitboxes of the nair, but if he has a hitbox (or actually starts to expect the nair) out you will trade at best, most likely be hit.

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I think I want to try some twinkle-toe shenanigans with Ganon's nair. You know, when you use it his at the last second and then l-cancel it so that the first hit pops up and you can follow up with it.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Don't edgeguard with nair lmao. use its low knockback to put people on platforms and get easy follow ups like kage mentioned.
The only reason I did is because it was a huge punish rather than just punish the ledge jump with uair and he had no jump at low %... so why not? lol Double hit nair into fair.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. just saying knowing when to use what move at what % is absolutely crucial for Ganon since you'll also be able to reverse them as well for DI traps... then they'll be like wheretf do I DI!? Survival? Away!? Oh no I can't do away ill die with 1 hit! lol.

MosthatedinNC

Dorsey
Yeah, definitely a good mix up... I could imagine doing a reverse nair after dairing someone at very low% could lead to something cool and better than the instinctive grab/pivot grab after.

Last edited:

Coastward

Smash Lord
i see kage do dair > nair alot, seems like the knockback on the first hit of nair can lead into some pretty interesting stuff.

also, does ganon have any other frame traps besides fair > jab?

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i see kage do dair > nair alot, seems like the knockback on the first hit of nair can lead into some pretty interesting stuff.

also, does ganon have any other frame traps besides fair > jab?
Ftilt into Jab is one for sure if they decide to jump after Ftilt on shield but it's not super good though as you'll be generally pretty far for jab to hit. (But if you are close and they jumped after ftilt, jab will probably hit)

Spaced auto-cancel Bair into pivot ftilt/jab is also possibly a frame trap too. Pretty good that one actually.

Uair on shield should also be a frame trap with jab as well.

Fair to Ftilt can be a frame trap as well since you mix up the timings.

But ya frame traps at least the way I understand them is that you can stuff certain moves on the assumption your opponent will throw out something or even just jump/dash. For example, if something was thrown between that auto-cancel bair into ftilt then your opponent will get stuffed for sure. In Street Fighter, it's more about delaying your moves on the assumption your opponent will also press a button when a move is already out there... he will get hit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom