• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can we predict reveals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm pretty sure the "completed series theory" belongs in the trash now. I can't see Pokemon, the franchise with the most or tied for the most characters in every Smash game, settling with 4 characters. I'm pretty sure Jigglypuff is a lock and I'm hopeful for Mewtwo.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Transforming characters are dead

And this should take your weight off about mewtwo

We have 4 confirmed pokemon characters so far brawl had 6 so its safe to say ivysaur and squirtle are gone

So which means the most likely pokemon line up is this

Pikachu lucario charizard greninja jigglypuff and mewtwo

If any other pokemon character gets confirm that's pretty much a no brainer either mewtwo or jigglypuff is kicked)

(And the 3ds is coming. Out in summer so unlockable characters will be able to jump out once the 3ds version is released because the wii u version will not be out yet)

And third of all you forgot 1 thing 2 months per direct so June is next thats E3 so mewtwo might be saved for that
Honestly I would say we get either Jigglypuff or either Mewtwo. I don't think we will get 6 Pokémon reps. In Brawl, the Pokémon Trainer was a good reason for switching Pokémon as an important aspect(just like it's handled in Pokémon games usually)
I see the Pokémon series on an equal level with Super Mario. Btw this means we also have 5 Zelda characters, because the confirmation of Ganondorf is something I consider safe.
And while I am supporting Mewtwo, I see Jigglypuff as more likely. Why? We already have two Pokémon characters using the Mega evolution transformation. So why add another one? Instead they can add a Pokémon from the NEW fairy type for another aspect of Pokémon X/Y.

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly I would say we get either Jigglypuff or either Mewtwo. I don't think we will get 6 Pokémon reps. In Brawl, the Pokémon Trainer was a good reason for switching Pokémon as an important aspect(just like it's handled in Pokémon games usually)
I see the Pokémon series on an equal level with Super Mario. Btw this means we also have 5 Zelda characters, because the confirmation of Ganondorf is something I consider safe.
And while I am supporting Mewtwo, I see Jigglypuff as more likely. Why? We already have two Pokémon characters using the Mega evolution transformation. So why add another one? Instead they can add a Pokémon from the NEW fairy type for another aspect of Pokémon X/Y.
On the contrary, I would not be surprised if we got 6 Pokemon reps. Like said before, Pokemon has always had or is tied with the most characters in Smash bros. I see this as being no different. I'm positive Jigglypuff is a lock to be honest, and my feelings on Mewtwo are no different.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
With transformation characters gone and two Pokemon characters likely cut, I do think it's still possible for both Jiggs and Mewtwo.

It's unfortunate for Squirtle and Ivysaur, but at least we'll probably get Jiggylpuff and Mewtwo. And we can still hope for DLC characters in the future as well.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well to beat up the mega egos kills mewtwo theory time to grave that

I would not be suprise if mega evolutions are final smashes and plus even if its the same final smash the moves are still 100% different from each other so mewtwo can still get in despite the mega evolutions and charizard and lucario

(Besides mewtwos mega evolution would be able to be involved of the attack custimation which is which form will activate when you smash the smash ball and use it)

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
On a happier note, we got what we wanted

No March reveals, and then in one fell swoop in the second week of April we have four confirmed veterans (Sheik, ZSS, Yoshi and Charizard) and a newcomer (Greninja.)
I think we should be counting all the awesome stuff we got instead of counting the eggs that were broken.

Or the shadows of eggs that may be broken ...

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
5 reveals makes up for last month easily. Though, I also suppose that means the rest of April will be dry.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
5 reveals makes up for last month easily. Though, I also suppose that means the rest of April will be dry.
I personally think that's perfectly fine. I'm good from here to E3 given how much info we got.

Also, we're not sure whether summer is June, July or August, so maybe that deadline for the 3DS will lead to faster pace of veteran reveals. Maybe newcomers too.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
5 Reveals was very nice. The one problem I had with it was that Sakurai went Freddy Krueger and went a disconfirmation massacre in this Direct. Overall though it was a great way to make up for March's drought.

I'm glad to finally see Yoshi, took long enough. :p Also quite glad to see Sheik. And ZSS, who now looks extremely awesome.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think there will definitely be secret characters now based on the Summer 3DS release.

However, if Snake isn't revealed at E3, he's DONE.

We'll probably get something similar to the Developer Direct last year, and probably 3 newcomers. We'll have to wait and see aside from that though.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I personally think that's perfectly fine. I'm good from here to E3 given how much info we got.

Also, we're not sure whether summer is June, July or August, so maybe that deadline for the 3DS will lead to faster pace of veteran reveals. Maybe newcomers too.
I think May is the last newcomer reveal and we might get Snake before that. I think the game will be out in June and we won't see a few characters before hand.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Well.. For Brawl, Sakurai saved about a third of the characters as secret characters. Let's assume that Sakurai will follow a similar pattern to the Brawl roster. About a third of that roster was revealed post-release as secret characters. If we're guessing about 45 characters, that's 30 pre-release characters and 15 post release. We already have 24 characters, so that's only 6 left before release. It's still only February. If we guess that this game comes out late summer, early fall.. that's a character per month until September. So.. I'm not sure that we'll be getting two vets a month anytime soon.

If our theory is actually that he'll reveal (almost?) the full roster before release based on his comments before, then throw this all out the window.
I'm going to quote myself here. Given that the game is going to release in Summer, that means August, at the very latest (unless there's a delay). Anyway, here's my extrapolations of my previous post.

So, my predictions are:
  • ~48 characters total
  • around 11-12 newcomers (a little under half shown)
  • around 15 - 16 secret characters/32 - 33 shown before release, which means about 3-4 characters left to show
  • At the latest, there's 4 months until release, that's a character per month, with some big reveal at E3 (Pac-Man? Mewtwo?)

They're in a tricky place with the marketing for this game, because they're going to have the whole roster revealed during the summer, at the very latest, when the 3DS version comes out. I'm also not sure what to make of Sakurai's comment about making all the character videos available from the get-go -- does that mean all the newcomers will be revealed pre-release (possibly all the videos saved exclusively for the Wii U version)? The Wii U version also needs more help in the marketing department than the 3DS version, and they've gotta have something killer prepared (Day 1 Ridley DLC anyone?), because the 3DS version has all the character customization (at least originally).

All this leads to.. I have no idea how to predict reveals. After this many reveals in the Nintendo Direct, are we even going to get anything at E3?

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I really, really hate to be that guy, but am I the only one who finds the newcomer selection so far kind of, I don't know, off?

What I mean is, besides Mega Man and arguably Little Mac there hasn't been any uber wow factors, aka highly requested reveals. Shulk, Chrom, K. Rool, (don't even get me started on Ridley), Palutena, and others high on many lists are still absent. The majority of newcomers are surprises because, frankly, not too fans were expecting them.

Of course Smash is going to have a few unexpected faces, but I don't know, things just seem unbalanced when it comes to anticipated vs (comparatively) niche thus far.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
E3 is the perfect time for characters like Mii, Pac-man...maybe Palutena/Shulk? Honestly I don't know anymore.

I also expect characters like Ike and Falcon and Ganon to be revealed. And they can talk about how Ganon is probably majorly different from C. Falcon now.

I'm done speculating otherwise. The full roster is likely to be leaked soon if the game has a summer release, and Greninja proved Sakurai is two steps ahead of us all the time.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I can see that happening, but I wouldn't expect it. It's definitely possible however since X and Y got two Directs.
I guess it depends, but since the 3DS version releases this Summer (supposedly) we might get another Smash Direct prior to release. Or one around E3. Sakurai seemed to be saying that there's a lot more information to go over, so I can see a second Smash Direct happening.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think the next step for any deeper details would be E3. That's only a couple months away from now, so I think another Smash Direct would be unnecessary during these months. A normal Direct, with a random newcomer reveal, would be possible though and I'd love to see another newcomer next month (to keep up the pace!), but Direct's seem to be a bi-monthly thing so we'll see.

At least we can now concentrate on veteran reveals again haha, the drought is finally over and we can start anew! We still have plenty of veterans to go! Hopefully the wait for the next character reveal won't be too long... we did get like four.. no five character reveals at once just now so we'll see.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't see us getting a second Direct this month. I can't imagine Nintendo has anything to show before E3.
If we do get a surprise Direct, I still won't expect anything Smash related. I am not even expecting anymore veterans this month.

Last edited by a moderator:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
This. Direct. I feel as though it did more harm than good. Killed a TON of characters and confirmed Greninja as a newcomer. My thought process is why? If he's here to represent 6th gen, what happens when we get another Smash in 8 years and 8th gen is out? Greninja will just be cycled out for another rep, unless he gets a Mega in which case Lucario won't be important anymore. Charizard alone i'm happy with- it keeps the spirit of Pokemon Trainer alive and it's the 2nd most recognizable poke in existence. Also, keep in mind, Brawl's starting roster only has 5 characters presently not shown- Wario, Ice Climbers, Metaknight, Ike, and Lucas. This means we could be at almost at the end of characters until post-release when the rest of the cast is shown. Granted, we need to see Ganondorf, ROB, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ness, G&W, (and maybe Snake) eventually, so they could be revealed per-release, just like lucario and marth. Only time will tell.

D

Deleted member

This. Direct. I feel as though it did more harm than good. Killed a TON of characters and confirmed Greninja as a newcomer. My thought process is why? If he's here to represent 6th gen, what happens when we get another Smash in 8 years and 8th gen is out? Greninja will just be cycled out for another rep, unless he gets a Mega in which case Lucario won't be important anymore. Charizard alone i'm happy with- it keeps the spirit of Pokemon Trainer alive and it's the 2nd most recognizable poke in existence. Also, keep in mind, Brawl's starting roster only has 5 characters presently not shown- Wario, Ice Climbers, Metaknight, Ike, and Lucas. This means we could be at almost at the end of characters until post-release when the rest of the cast is shown. Granted, we need to see Ganondorf, ROB, Falco, Wolf, Captain Falcon, Ness, G&W, (and maybe Snake) eventually, so they could be revealed per-release, just like lucario and marth. Only time will tell.
In terms of veteran reveals, I can see Sakurai announce Wario, Meta Knight, Captain Falcon, Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, and Snake before release. The other characters I can see be hidden from us until we get the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think the next step for any deeper details would be E3. That's only a couple months away from now, so I think another Smash Direct would be unnecessary during these months. A normal Direct, with a random newcomer reveal, would be possible though and I'd love to see another newcomer next month (to keep up the pace!), but Direct's seem to be a bi-monthly thing so we'll see.
A Smash Direct during E3 is a possibility.

This. Direct. I feel as though it did more harm than good. Killed a TON of characters and confirmed Greninja as a newcomer. My thought process is why? If he's here to represent 6th gen, what happens when we get another Smash in 8 years and 8th gen is out? Greninja will just be cycled out for another rep.
Everyone's thoughts about Lucario pre-reveal. Also, who says Smash will continue?

EDIT:
I think another Direct prior to the release of the 3DS version is a must, detailing elements left undisclosed about that version. And we will might also get a Smash Direct prior to the release of the Wii U version, detailing more specifics about that version (Possibly even teasing DLC by that point, but that's more of a wish than a realistic assessment).

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
Call me a dreamer, but I think it's possible for us to get a veteran reveal this month and one or two next month. I feel like E3 is going to have another Developers Direct, and they're gonna need characters to focus on in that one. This latest Direct was very thorough with all the characters we have so far, so I don't think they need much focus at this point.

Surely E3 will give us some newcomers to go through, but like last time, they discussed some veterans as well. E3 could give us those as well, but I like to believe on PotD's still haha!

We have Charizard and Greninja now who will definitely get focus on a next Direct since they weren't featured in this latest one, and I feel we could fit in a couple more. So I predict Captain Falcon or Ice Climbers this month and Meta Knight or Wario next month, in time for E3. We'll see!

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
E3's in June. I think we can expect another info drought leading up to that.

But we may get a least one other vet reveal in the mean time. Metaknight, Wario, Ness and Captain Falcon all seem likely to be revealed soon.

We know they're back anyway because of their items/stages/ATs.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
30th May: Picture of the Day - Wario on his bike confirming Wario in SSB4 -> would just fit way too perfect, wouldn't it?

I think @ Vann Accessible Vann Accessible is right with his veteran guesses. Meta Knight could be revealed for the western release of Kirby Triple Deluxe. Or for the 30th April(Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland - GBA Virtual Console release)

Ness, Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff are the remaining SSB64 veterans who need yet to be confirmed. So they would be less of a surprise for most of us and if Sakurai were to show us the whole roster before the release, it would make sense to confirm first of all the considered "safe" veterans, starting with the remaining SSB64 veterans.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about a Direct, he was to show us many Pokéball Pokemon and the Masterball with legendary Pokémon inside. It was even a separate talking point of the Direct. And still I didn't see a Pokémon newcomer coming until the newcomer trailer began...

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think there's a decent opportunity to get another Smash Direct, or a much longer Developer Direct at E3. It just makes sense.

D

Deleted member

I think there's a decent opportunity to get another Smash Direct, or a much longer Developer Direct at E3. It just makes sense.
I can see it happening... it just depends on when SSB 3DS is released. With a game like Smash, I am pretty sure that they would want to hype it for the final stretch. However, I am not confident that we would get another one in June or July.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Isn't Mothers Day on a Saturday/Sunday?
Well Dedede was revealed the day before KIrby Triple Deluxe's release. So maybe the Friday before or the Monday after Mother's Day?

We also have Earth Day. heheh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom