• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Just saw my pool and Denti is in it
Hopefully I can prove myself and show I'm improving

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I was gonna go but...nah.

I'll ride the no practice train all the way to Comicpalooza. I should probably register.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Delbuster, we should be able to play. It's round robin pools.

Xyro, they will have onsite registration. They just will be in a separate pool.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Yeah, apparently late registration people get grouped inro their own pool(s).

Also, apparently 4v4 is on Saturday but doubles is on Sunday? I....don't understand the reasoning why doubles is being treated as a side event over 4v4 but...okay then.

Last edited:

Krebs

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, apparently late registration people get grouped inro their own pool(s).

Also, apparently 4v4 is on Saturday but doubles is on Sunday? I....don't understand the reasoning why doubles is being treated as a side event over 4v4 but...okay then.

Doubles takes more time to run. Saturday is the "slim down to top 8" day, while Sunday is just top 8 then doubles.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Doubles takes more time to run. Saturday is the "slim down to top 8" day, while Sunday is just top 8 then doubles.
It just seems weird, but okay...

Good luck to those going. Except Trela, he doesn't need the additional attention.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Those test times...wat.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
1 hour beta i know.

I'm still hyped, maybe i can do one of them.

I'm glad it appears they have 180d on matchmaking and voice chat(?).

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Great update. All that is left is allowing voice chat but it's not a big deal to me. I turn voice chat off on WatchDogs and Monster Hunter and kart 8 due to 13 year olds blasting garbage music while calling me names that refer to sexual preference, D size and voice.

Last edited:

Xyro77

It's funny how FGC players don't do well in smash but smash players do well in FGC

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Smash prepares you for all kinds of bull**** because there is no competitive intent.

Also until very recently we never had patches to solve stupid things for us.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's funny how FGC players don't do well in smash but smash players do well in FGC
It's because they aren't aware of THE FALCHION BLADE

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
i played smash (and sucked) til about 3 years ago, dropped smash for fighting games, played FGs for 3 years at a mediocre level, smash wiiu comes out, picked it back up, did really well in my area.

it's not really about the games, or the environment/community, but moreso the individual i think. "game sense" develops over time, game preference is also a big deal when it comes to success, etc.

Xyro77

I have NEVER seen a FGC vet pick up smash and do well. I have seen SEVERAL smash vets pick up FGC and do well.

Smash somehow prepares you for FGC.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I have NEVER seen a FGC vet pick up smash and do well. I have seen SEVERAL smash vets pick up FGC and do well.

Smash prepares you for life

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I was referring to Melee. In this game, so far in terms of good and bad, he is leaning to bad. Just my opinion and the big glaring weaknesses I see (bad neutral game and dies at low percents, both I dislike and not cool to have in this game). I'm sure Trela can and will prove me wrong, but unless he or anyone wins a REAL national or places top 5 with Mewtwo...nah man.

I don't want him to beat people and then lose to a random Bowser Bomb that kills him at 40%.
Really? I thought he had a fairly good neutral game. o.o

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
His neutral game seems almost comparable to Lucario's imo. Something about it just seems...lacking when I use Mewtwo. Doesn't mean he's unplayable, but he will struggle in certain matchups because of it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord

while the first sentence is fine, the second ignores the fact that there are plenty of Smash vets that have had no success in FGC.

I still maintain that it's up to the individual. Take broly for example; I don't think it's the games that prepared him for his inspiring story, it's his own will.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

It's because Smash does include a lot of classic fighting game mechanics and concepts, but it also has its own separate set of mechanics that really do have an effect on gameplay. Freedom of movement, stocks instead of percent, edgeguarding/gimping, DI/SDI, etc.

Also, there are many Smash players with an extremely poor understanding of other fighters. Don't let the few exceptions cloud your opinions about the terrible ugly truth.

Last edited:

Xyro77

It's because Smash does include a lot of classic fighting game mechanics and concepts, but it also has its own separate set of mechanics that really do have an effect on gameplay. Freedom of movement, stocks instead of percent, edgeguarding/gimping, DI/SDI, etc.

Also, there are many Smash players with an extremely poor understanding of other fighters. Don't let the few exceptions cloud your opinions about the terrible ugly truth.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
>mains toonlink
well bombs and boomerang do equal soul fist from both sides.
So does this confirm TL is for degeneracy?

...sorry Jerm.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Nintendo posted its fiscal year results.

www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/

Things to take away from this:

1. They made profit this year.

2. Next year they expect to profit again but less.

3. Mario Kart 8 will get more DLC

4. WiiU did not reach sales expectations for this year. Is projected to sell less than the GAMECUBE (wow) during its lifetime.

GaiustheThief

Smash Ace
NNID
GaiustheThief
3DS FC
5343-8142-6721
Who's noteworthy in my pool besides Denti?
I don't really know about any of the other people

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
@ Krebs Krebs do you have an idea how bracket will work once pools are completed? Will everybody be seeded based on their pool results?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So if I enter Comicpalooza as The 12th Hobo, will I get a low seed?

Top Bottom