• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I'm testing stuff Tesh. I'll do something diff at TGC 2.

Shaya, the speedy missiles cannot kill until 280%+ and are mega easy to avoid because they have lost homing ability.

The slow missiles are decent but since you still can't missile cancel, they are a one trick pony that will be figured out quickly. I'm still sure they can be swatted away like in every smash game.

Bombs are still garbage since you lose Bomb jumping/stalling. Oh and they are all STILL on a timer. Garbage.

Horizontal up+B kills earlier than vertical up+B but since recovering low has been buffed in smash 4 (thanks ledge mechanics) it's not that good and doesn't replace f-tilt/dsmash/f-smash kills.

Point blank charge shot is absolute doggy doo. It does less damage than normal charge shot too.

Slow Charge shot is mega useful. If I allow custom moves that is the only one Id use. Assuming I even use samus.

Last edited:

Xyro77

And no, F SHULK. Trela uses him and so will billions of others once they realize what speed/buster arts do.

Gea

Smash Master
Two events. One custom illegal and the other legal. Analyze results along with national results and direction of meta game. Make decision then. I'm not opposed to allowing them but after competitive data is available.
While I'm all about data, my question here is what are you hoping to see? Any sort of relevant data on character spreads takes awhile to settle. Character usage varies quite a bit from the start of a game until a mature state. For an extreme example, look at Brawl. You'll always have more diversity at the start of a game while people are still making discoveries and have hope.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
And no, F SHULK. Trela uses him and so will billions of others once they realize what speed/buster arts do.
Trust me. The masses will get off Shulk after a couple of months. He's not auto easy to use and thus not auto top/high tier. He could be bottom high tier imo.

While I'm all about data, my question here is what are you hoping to see? Any sort of relevant data on character spreads takes awhile to settle. Character usage varies quite a bit from the start of a game until a mature state. For an extreme example, look at Brawl. You'll always have more diversity at the start of a game while people are still making discoveries and have hope.
I guess we're looking for red flag moves or glitches that could really hurt the game. But I admit it's a tricky thing to analyze and very much opinionated.

Gea

Smash Master
Gotcha. Well the best way to test for those is to get as much playtime as possible with them. Worst I've seen so far is stalling glitches which should be banned under stalling.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Allan I think you're shrugging off Samus' customs way too quickly. It won't matter if you can't missile cancel w/ the slow ones, they fire quickly enough after each shot that they're a threat when spammed consecutively in regard to zoning or rushdown/stage control along with her Z-air. Samus' ability to keep opponents where she needs them in this game is boosted hard if she has customs, tons of shield pressure. The homing's also increased tremendously on the missile's that come equipped w/ that feature. You also forgot to mention her third Up-B.. which is the strongest and kills around 100-105% (basically the same kind of out of shield options as Marth's Dolphin Slash) but it's vertical reach isn't as high as the neutral. Her second bomb custom has a way wider blast radius than the normal, it spikes/kills easily offstage around 50% AND it trips your opponent onstage (which has been confirmed to last long enough for a D-Tilt or F-Smash follow up).

How are those not major buffs compared to her original?
You should check out NinjaLink's vids instead of just uploads where the person behind the mic just shows which moves are available instead of testing them and their applications. He's found a pretty big amount of neat stuff that I initially wouldn't have thought was possible just seeing the moves on screen (not in battle).

And yeah, RT. I agree w/ banning anything that causes a glitch but I honestly don't think anyone will be able to abuse the only one we've found yet regarding Yoshi's Up-B cause you have to do two eggs consecutively before landing the ground and then squeeze in a final one before actually landing. Trying to pull all of that off in game will just get you bopped real quick.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I know how Samus works. You don't.

I already watched NL Samus vid. Most of that stuff looks cool Now because it's new. Just like how brawl Zair and brawl homing missiles looks cool at the beginning of brawl.

The issue is that since she cannot missile cancel, she has very limited options after firing a missile. The opponent knows this after any sort of exp vs Samus and will do exactly as they did in brawl......shield or jump or swipe.

As for bombs, again, you don't use Samus, so you don't see how useless they are. A bomb with a timer only hits dumb people or people who lack exp vs Samus. Melee is the only game where bombs are good.

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Dude, just take my advice if you want to use a character no one uses.

USE DOC.

This is the serious answer to your desire to use a character no one wants to use. Seriously, USE HIM.

Last edited:

Tesh

Smash Hero
I know how Samus works. You don't.

I already watched NL Samus vid. Most of that stuff looks cool Now because it's new. Just like how brawl Zair and brawl homing missiles looks cool at the beginning of brawl.

The issue is that since she cannot missile cancel, she has very limited options after firing a missile. The opponent knows this after any sort of exp vs Samus and will do exactly as they did in brawl......shield or jump or swipe.

As for bombs, again, you don't use Samus, so you don't see how useless they are. A bomb with a timer only hits dumb people or people who lack exp vs Samus. Melee is the only game where bombs are good.
Its all about stage control, not spamming the same move over and over with a 0 lag cancel. The massive bombs with the 4 second timer are about defense and delayed hitboxes (think snake or any item user).

The slow homing missles force a reaction from your opponent. Even if it is just shielding, you can grab them while they are preoccupied by the hitboxes. If they spotdodge, the missles is slow enough to punish it. Charge shot is a similar concept at closer ranger with more power.

As for Up B, the shinespark is a simple trade of survial for kill power. I wouldn't run power bombs AND shinespark because it gimps your recovery too much. Seems like either/or unless you are fighting little max or someone that definitely wont gimp you.

They might not fit your playstyle, but even in Brawl, there were far more aggressive minded Samus players who would enjoy stronger traps instead of stronger camping/recovery.

@ RT RT , I'm not sure if I fully understand the glitch, but it looked like he just went SUPER high and came back down after like 5 seconds. Initiating this glitch requires you to down B first, which is very easy to punish. This is like spring-dair with Sonic, every time he comes back down, you get a chance to punish. Except Yoshi is doing 5-10 damage to himsel every time h does this. So you only need to punish him once, after he does it a couple of times.

In any case, I expect things like teleporting to be patched. He has another glitch with his regular up b where he teleports around for no reason, so I dont see this staying or the wario glitch.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I'll be at Austin/Pj/Tesh/Asa's Thursday and I'll likely pick it up around midnight. Hopefully they'll have copies aside from pre-order ones. If not I'll just hit up Wal-Mart or download lol.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Tesh, HW is a super grind fest. Some of these badges require materials with a 2% drop rate.

I wanna uock ZANT too but this is gonna take forever. Adventure mode is hard :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'll get the game Friday morning, unlock all characters and stages, then go to Austin's in the evening for some practice. Got the whole day off, so...SWEET

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It will, but expect a long download time.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
You think so? Was any other game bad when it was released in E-Shop? I would expect at most 30 mins download?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Nintendo servers are generally crap when it comes to any sort of download, even if your connection is fast. Just start the download and find something else to do and keep the 3DS plugged in the power just in case.

Tesh

Smash Hero
@Flip, you might actually get it faster at a store if the eshop crashes. The game is insanely popular and Nintendo doesn't plan ahead it seems.

@XYRO, just enjoy the game, maybe if you had come over I could have helped you, but now you are on your own I guess. This game is alot better than dynasty warriors usually is. I'm very impressed that Nintendo held them to a higher standard of quality here.

Btw, the gamestop right down the street (like 5 blocks away) is confirmed to be doing a midnight open, so that could be a good place to go if any of you are coming over.

Xyro77

No no I love the game and I don't mind grinding. It's just for the characters I want it's gonna take serious grinding to get them good.

What's the max level?
Who is your fav character so far?
Fav stage?
Is this the best warriors game you have played?

And I think Skyloft if my fav stage and Impa is Prob my fav character right now.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
@Flip, you might actually get it faster at a store if the eshop crashes. The game is insanely popular and Nintendo doesn't plan ahead it seems.
I heard the E-Shop only crashed once and was because of a Pokemon App for the 3DS?

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Most likely getting it Friday morning. Didn't know Gamestop did releases for 3DS games despite the amount of hype received. The one in League City next to my place won't be doing it though.

Xyro77

You live in league city? I'm near there EVERYDAY. We should smash once the wiiu version is out.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I heard the E-Shop only crashed once and was because of a Pokemon App for the 3DS?
Nintendo's online is just not reliable sometimes. You might be downloading then all of a sudden ERROR CODE.

Smash is one of those rare games you should consider downloading since you will ALWAYS want it on hand. But then again, physical is best media.

Tesh

Smash Hero
gamestop employee told me if a location get more than 70 pre orders for one game it qualifies for a midnight launch

im almost level 20 and this is definitely my favorite warriors game. its rare you see nintendo environments interact with the developers from very niche genres so its a real treat.

so far i like sword link and spellbook lana just for good crowd control and damage. i hate sheik, fi and deku staff lana. playing on hard mode only and it sucks getting mobbed during slow attacks with weak coverage.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
gamestop employee told me if a location get more than 70 pre orders for one game it qualifies for a midnight launch
Probably not the whole story. They also need to allocate working hours as well. Gamestop doesn't want to pay overtime, like most places.

Regardless, make sure to have a plan to get a copy. There shouldn't be a shortage, but people will be paranoid after what happened with Awakening...

Xyro77

I'm beating every stage on all 3 difficulties before I move on.

I dislike the fuse system. I always get weak weapons with good bonus. I want the opposite.

I love how Fi talks. Turns me on.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Probably not the whole story. They also need to allocate working hours as well. Gamestop doesn't want to pay overtime, like most places.

Regardless, make sure to have a plan to get a copy. There shouldn't be a shortage, but people will be paranoid after what happened with Awakening...
when i said 'qualifies' i meant like local manager discretion. im sure based on location and hype fof a game stuff like cod or smash is pre planned, but if some random game got 100 pre orders they can then lok into it. also have to factor in multiple releases on a date.
I'm beating every stage on all 3 difficulties before I move on.

I dislike the fuse system. I always get weak weapons with good bonus. I want the opposite.

I love how Fi talks. Turns me on.
is there a benefit to going back and redoing on a lower difficulty too?

im not worried bout bonuses, orochi warriors had far more extravagant powers s it mattered but ive seen no skills i care about so far.

Xyro77

I don't think there is a benifit to doing lower difficulties other than getting a check mark on the check list each stage has. I'm a semi completionist when it comes to things like that.

Also, if I lvl up a character and then see her as a CPU in a stage, is she the at the current level I got her to?

Last edited:
Top Bottom