• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

alex mora

Smash Ace
NNID
amora2319
Anyone know how to contact Nintendo of America about that Gamestop event? I'm trying to clear things up lol i dont want to smash at a massage parlor.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Only thing is contact a gamestop near by and see if they have any info. That's all I can think of considering they should be able to provide info the customers inquiring about the tournament.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Only if you pre-order CoD from them.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Hopefully info about where the tourney will be held comes up. I was thinking about going, but the current location that doesn't exist anymore is about an hour away from where I live, and the rules suck. Not feeling free for all with items. Those prizes tho....

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Honestly, you should not be going to this tourney thinking it will be super serious.

Treat it more as an amusing side event.

You'll have more fun that way. The event itself sounds like it will last for a few hours anyways.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Address changed. It's at the address below. It's near Razers house lol

5598 North Fwy, Ste E
Houston, TX 77076

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Just watched like at least half of each character's custom moves. People should definitely check out NinjaLink's channel before drawing any uneducated decisions, he's putting in work on trying to inform the community on how they work.

They need to be legalized lol. Some of them are really cool (particularly Megaman and Ganondorf's).

From what I've seen nothing is overpowered and it helps bottom tiered characters tremendously.
I seriously can't find anything to hold against them other than time constraints and now that we've found a quicker way to unlock that should be at least half of the problem it was before.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Just watched like at least half of each character's custom moves. People should definitely check out NinjaLink's channel before drawing any uneducated decisions, he's putting in work on trying to inform the community on how they work.

They need to be legalized lol. Some of them are really cool (particularly Megaman and Ganondorf's).

From what I've seen nothing is overpowered and it helps bottom tiered characters tremendously.
I seriously can't find anything to hold against them other than time constraints and now that we've found a quicker way to unlock that should be at least half of the problem it was before.
Of course you can't find anything wrong. You support them.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
No. There are 2 events. A REAL smash event and a CUSTOM MOVE smash event.

Once enough testing has been done, I'll either allow them to be banned or legal.

Custom moves are a huge change in the status quo and too many people are looking at them as a "oh wow it max my cnaracter good" instead of "how close do custom moves make the next brawl metaknight."

Selfishness is what got is into the mess that is brawl.

Sync.

Smash Champion
I agree we should be careful about the legalization of custom moves but I really think if we are going to "test" their competitive value, we should have separate tournaments for the two at different events. If you want Allan, I can have a house tournament or something to help out with that. It doesn't really do any good testing them side by side when there is emphasis on one event being the "main event". But w/e I just want this game to be good competitively and if custom moves ruin it, then let's ban them. If not, let's keep them. It's that simple.

Okay, all you boys going to the tournament on the 4th let's hit up das chick my chick after!!!

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Of course you can't find anything wrong. You support them.
YOU haven't even LOOKED at any videos or studied anything. I support things with proper evidence and actually do my research before drawing a conclusion. The only reason I'm doing this is because I've seen from the beginning of them being announced that they hold potential for a stronger competitive scene and a longer lifespan, which helps YOUR tournaments. YOU on the other hand sit like a scared baby back ***** and wait it out until you're blatantly proven wrong and basically have to switch over to legalizing something before looking like a complete idiot.

There's absolutely NOTHING wrong w/ any custom move I've seen so far. Some are "great" w/ drawbacks in other areas of a character's default movement or control mapping, while others are just outright bad and you'd much rather stick to default. Characters can change drastically from a tank/campy playstyle to rushdown and vice versa. Some custom moves gives characters a completely new perspective on how to play (i.e. Ganondorf).

Give them enough time and they'll be legalized nationally, 100% guaranteed. I have full confidence in the Smash community not being that daft on something that will only benefit them.

Last edited:

Gea

Smash Master
No. There are 2 events. A REAL smash event and a CUSTOM MOVE smash event.

Once enough testing has been done, I'll either allow them to be banned or legal.

Custom moves are a huge change in the status quo and too many people are looking at them as a "oh wow it max my cnaracter good" instead of "how close do custom moves make the next brawl metaknight."

Selfishness is what got is into the mess that is brawl.
To be fair, while I'm not 100% certain without my own testing, all signs point to this helping balance more than anything being overcentralizing. Characters that desperately lack killing potential can trade something like recovery in hopes of getting a better option. Strong characters almost always trade power for utility, and most custom moves fall under the umbrella of a side or downgrade. Very, very few custom moves are straight upgrades and if they are, it's on a move that isn't that great (or there is still a downside).

When we didn't know much about the game, I was definitely under the impression they would likely be banned. As it stands now, I agree that it is more likely that they are all legal rather than banned. Rulesets don't matter until the WiiU, but don't let your region suffer if they do end up mainstream everywhere else.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Lmao the chick my chick is here. Yeah, after looking at the videos again honestly I think they would work to make things more balanced. I really like the depth it gives characters. It could really change some MUs and could really reinforce the counterpicking aspect of smash in this new game. It's going to be great to see a lot of people choosing a lot of different combinations of characters and moves.

zozo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0146-9842-1089
Ah, Chikfila. Also I agree with Sync. I dunno a ton about competitive smash, I'm still learning, but from watching Ninjalink's vids the custom moves look really cool and seem to add depth. Determining whether or not they're broken will take time, and banning them out right will only discourage people in our scene from even experimenting with them, potentially limiting the depth of the game.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just my 2c, but I think anything tournament + 3DS should probably have custom specials legal. "Not knowing the variations" is a shallow excuse, individual players will have unlocked custom moves they want to use and have movesets premade (you could even be super harsh and warn>DQ if people **** around with it).

Unfortunately there's stuff like Yoshi's glitch thing, but I'm not sure how easy it is to do, but considering it's unique in the bunch that we've seen thus far (stalling) it could be discretely banned for the time being.

If prior commitments is an issue, like say what you've advertised, rulesets you've prior made and whatnot, then just say so; people should respect professionalism in this regard. Perhaps give some recognition to the "sway" of it and set a fair point/date in the future at which it could be looked at again.

The response to that shouldn't be "when the WiiU version comes out" (or afterwards), as the ability to manage custom moves in tournaments will be a larger issue with consoles, the likelihood of needing them to be banned at the early stage (unless there's an easy data transferal tool, in which case I guess it's fair to speculate that and wait out until you know...) and hence could relegate them to obscurity without proper competitive testing if we don't give them a shot on the 3DS.

It's kinda like how 1.2 Damage in brawl killed a lot of chaingrabs but no one was willing to humour the idea :p

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
But then we'll get to the stage where we cannot ban meta knight as we've played the game for too long with him and the people who main their top tiers will be upset. Especially if other characters get moves that help them deal with said top tiers.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Two events. One custom illegal and the other legal. Analyze results along with national results and direction of meta game. Make decision then. I'm not opposed to allowing them but after competitive data is available.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If the custom moves do cause a glitch, the tech should probably be banned, especially if there is a specific sequence of actions to trigger it. The Yoshi super jump can be done 100% and requires the same inputs and custom move each time. It should be banned since it could be used for stalling...it really has no other use than for stalling at this point.

Last edited:

Tesh

Smash Hero
How exactly can that Yoshi thing be used for staling? He has to come down to the ground every few seconds and otherwise justkeep damaging himself right?

I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that anyone is being selfish about it. No one really knows who they will main yet and even if you go based on who we used in Brawl, I wouldn't say Peach or Sonic got anything very good.

Its a real shame you still have those butchered rules for it as a side event. Running both is a good way to get a 3rd event in for the game and allow people to explore more.

Palutena looks pretty awesome. She comes from a base set with a reflector and a projectile and has some options for great mobility in the air and on the ground.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Tesh, besides stalling what other use could it possibly have? Just like using Peach Bomber against walls or Rising Pound under a stage in Melee or IDC in Brawl, what other application could they have besides for stalling? It doesn't matter if he has to land every few seconds, the fact Yoshi can disappear off the screen for a few seconds where probably no one can reach him is the very definition of stalling. And yes, there will be someone dedicated to do it enough for those seconds to start adding up if allowed.

In lighter news, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pss1GQ5qrjM. This game has such funny glitches.

Last edited:
Top Bottom