• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Smash Ultimate Thread

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I've watched a ton of footage and yeah sheik is still good but Robin and Bowser Jr are appearing to be really really good.

Falco can't chain grab nor laser cancel so he's GARBAGE.

I am starting to think shulk may not be that good (yessss) based off of what I see and hear from streams.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Shulk's neutral B move applies an arte that gives him a buff to a stat at the cost of a debuff to stat.

翔 (Jump): higher jumps, lower defense.
疾 (Speed): faster movement, weaker attacks.
盾(Shield): higher defense, slower movement.
斬(Buster): stronger attacks, weaker launch ability.
撃(Smash): Stronger launch ability, weaker attacks, lower defense against launching.

You have to watch the color of the aura to know what he has currently applied.

After spending about an hour or so on the demo, I can say that the game still has traces of Brawl. Buffering, rolling spam, a lack of hitstun, and very few combos. It is good to see that shields are weaker than they were in Brawl, but I dunno, it still feels...off.

From what I've read and seen, this game really is trying its hardest to be the middle road between Melee and Brawl. Whether that is a good or bad idea remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Xyro77

I really hope you guys were not expecting anything but brawl 2.0 with minor buffs.

I'm hype though cause olimar/diddy/falco got nerfs, IC/snake gone and much more. Most BRAWL-ism characters got the shaft.

I also found out the WiiU button on the 3ds game allows for a 3ds to become a controller for WiiU smash. This eliminates the need for the inferior version of smash and combines it with WiiU scene.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
While almost nobody is playing Yoshi, the times people are they usually find something with him. Jab Usmash is gonna be the new combo for Yoshi over Jab Down-B.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
nobody playing yoshi wha? Everyone is saying he's great, hf sharing him as a main with Denti btw

fair > jab > fsmash can be a thing too

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'm aware people are saying he looks strong, but that was based off a D1 tweet I believe and the only reason people are even saying that right now lol.

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
I didn't even know D1 said anything regarding yoshi, but I've seen him used on different streams, not to mention valdens and denti say he controls really well and moves fluidly.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I love this game so far. I need the freaking full version though.

Houston, prepare for November 1st. We must defend our nation against the invaders.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I sat down and played the game for like 6 hours last night. Went through probably 65% of the entire cast from the top down. All the way down to Charizard (didn't play him, watched). Only characters I didn't get to see on screen were Jigglypuff, Olimar and Lucario. My opinions changed COMPLETELY and I definitely love it now. Seems like I was either:

1) Watching people play who had nearly no idea what they were doing on Youtube, including players I thought would understand a bit better based off their recognition in Brawl. This gave off the impression that the game was "campy" (watching Dallas' tournament was disgusting because of camp lol and players barely knew how to control their character) and now I'm seeing Keitaro trying to advocate "a 2 stock revolution". Gonna go ahead and say that off of a six hour impression of the game I'm completely certain it'll be at least 30% faster than Brawl in game time. I was watching Dabuz slaughter Zero on stream in under 45 seconds on certain games w/ Sheik. This is on day TWO of the release. Zero was also beating moderate to beginner level players in under a minute and a half consistently. Some character's spacing options and tools can have them stealing a stock in under 20 seconds flat w/ the proper pressure and precision. 2 Stocks will be WAY too quick and we need to take into consideration pacing and have more room for fault or error within a game. Three stocks will be perfectly fine once more players learn to control their character and understand the mechanics of the game. Just give it a bit more time, this is the 2nd day of release. It's likely the players who are advocating a lower stock ruleset aren't killing w/ the proper moves yet. A large amount of reputable players are going about the movement in the game as if it's Brawl. Let time pass to the point where people can develop their own playstyle that suits Smash 4 instead. Plus we'll have the gamecube controller, thrown out moves connecting will raise in percentage naturally on the Wii U version.

2) Playing the wrong characters. Based off of the demo the characters' potential aside from Mario and possibly Pikachu I thought were horrible. Sync practiced Villager practically all night as well and learned some interesting combos and kill potential w/ axe and other stuff so my impression of him has risen (still middle tier though in singles, imo). Megaman I still think is pretty weak and isn't going to have proper approaching options cause of how linear his movement is once people learn to control their characters. But yeah.. aside from that, once I got to the actual roster I was really impressed from the changes. Every single character seemed buff aside from maybe Luigi, Toon Link and Falco (I got all the way to Charizard) and wasn't copy / paste from Brawl like I initially thought. A few obvious nerfs but they are completely understandable. i.e Diddy's Bananas, Metaknight or how Marth was nerfed a bit but it's not as poor as people have been preaching. Aerial dancing blade has a ton of potential and can practically replace the gutted removal of his double F-Air approach as well as a properly spaced short hop B-Air to F-Air through short hop. There's creative outs to a lot of shifts from Brawl to this release, just can't play the character the same way it was under Brawl's engine.

I love this game's speed. It's EXACTLY what I wanted it to be, a mix between Melee and Brawl. You can still improvise your movement and decide what to do after a hit, but the speed allows for Melee-ish combos. Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Robin are going to be some of the strongest characters off the bat from my experience playing it. I'll likely be maining Zero Suit Samus along w/ Robin and Peach. I honestly just wanna try everyone lol, I love what they've done to each Brawl character to this one. Wario, Samus, Bowser, Yoshi, ROB, Dedede and DK all have real cool new tweaks that give a new twist to how their played. Yoshi's second jump and mobility is incredible. Jab -> Up Smash is real and there's so many things to string. Samus is way more quick and physically driven rather than missle cancelling. It seems as if camping isn't going to be too much of a viable option or Nintendo was purposely trying to veer away from that style of play. Zoning and approaching seems way more efficient than constantly running due to lag placed on a majority of those specific moves. Bowser's buffs are pretty widely known, Dedede's gordos are a great way to add pressure and DK's speed suits his playstyle perfectly cause it compliments his strength. Love the switches w/ B-Air his dash attack and D-Air. Wario's super quick D-Tilt is absolutely perfect to continue carrying a character across the stage when deciding to follow up with N-Air or jab. All of the new characters add something unique to the game as well that I've never seen before, so excited to learn them all.

Regarding custom moves - I wouldn't want their to be two separate metas (i.e. play custom moves ONLY on 3DS), cause it would discourage attendance. Either keep them both or ban. I'm all for custom moves though, especially on the WiiU.

Just play Smash under seasons similar to how Konami regulates Yu-Gi-Oh, Smogon w/ Pokemon, etc. until we encounter a problem. People are going to play the game regardless near the beginning even if everything is utterly insane. The deeper the game's lifespan will be, the more "accepted" and "tournament viable" it will become. You can keep the metagame at such a fair and beautiful state w/ the proper type of monitoring and the right amount of time. And by that I mean we can have this game exactly how we want it if we keep our communication w/ each other at a decent level. We've even done it in prior releases. Wobbling? Banned. Infinite Cape Glitch? Banned. DDD infinite? Banned. Even in the massively famous Project M we see characters tinkered with to appease to it's audience. It still amazes me how people are willing to ban EVERYTHING off the bat without even giving it an honest chance yet to see how it plays out come Wii U release... when we're being given exactly what a good portion of the community is already doing (Project M) on a silver platter from Sakurai himself.

Even if a majority of custom moves are broken - there's a high chance that every character has at least ONE of those moves assigned to each special. I don't think Sakurai would just go outright crazy on making a select few characters overpowered within range of everyone else. In fact I've seen a few used myself and they aren't even insanely overpowered. It just adds preference or potential combo material. Lucario's force palm is the only thing that seems much more powerful than the default, and if it's an issue? Ban it for a SEASON. I don't think it will even become one though, people will just learn what to expect from Lucarios when using that specific move. Players are going to naturally flock to the stronger custom specials regardless, and if they don't it could be for their own personal reasons (adding depth to the metagame/their playstyle). And by that I mean we'll be able to gauge a pretty efficient tier list on characters even with the custom moves legal. Tournament results will still prove a character's worth regardless of how many options there are, the thing is - we'll just have 4x the amount of potential to allow that said character and this game to develop. Regarding the time constraint argument, matches are naturally going to become faster due to the moves helping the strengths of characters or improving combos. Time wasted on setting them after selecting on the roster can be recovered through 30 or so seconds in a single game, perhaps even more within a set. Not to mention the fact that the custom moveset interface is already efficient enough to be tournament viable. I haven't heard anyone mention any complaints regarding setting them yet. Shouldn't be a problem, especially once people have a moveset already ready within their mind at a setup.

I know Xyro's against custom moves off the bat and we're running it as a side event for now until something becomes concrete and I'm completely fine with that. People can learn how to actually play the game before digging deeper into how to use other options when the game has become actually developed. East Coast is planning to use custom moves from the start, iirc. I'm glad we're having different approaches to them at first but I feel as though within time a majority of us should be under the same ruleset at least in that regard. What do you guys think about them?

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
My impression from the meta is that it will still have problems with camping, roll spam, and timeouts. Not as common as it was in Brawl's meta, but they will happen. Honestly if a person goes in thinking, "I will run the clock to win," then...alrighty. Whatever floats your boat.

As far as custom moves, most are pretty garbage or seem like sidegrades. Very few seem to be a complete upgrade. Honestly, if they were allowed, then fine. I will say a timer would be needed to prevent people from spending 5 minutes selecting a moveset. Like, less than a minute...either you know a moveset or don't. Also, changing in between matches should be considered. We can't have a whole doubles match take 10 minutes to setup with another in 5 minutes between each match. Hell....no.

As far as a ruleset goes, 3 stock 7-minute timer should be a good starting point. When Brawl first came out, people tried using 4 stocks, because Melee did. The stocks can be changed later. I don't know why a ruleset has to be finalized for the rest of the game's lifespan after a whopping 2 days. Come on...

Last edited:

Xyro77

You guys fail to realize on thing. Once the smash community as a whole accepts something and makes it a status quo, it is nearly impossible to change it.

Remember brawl?

Metaknight. They could have stopped him anytime in 6 years but they didn't,

Remember the terrible stage set (that favored MK/IC)? Could have fixed in in 6 years but they didnt.

Remember ICs and their one grab one stock? Could have fixed it but didn't.

Customs moves and or this stupid "2 stock 5min" idea fall into the same category. You CANNOT let people (especially TOs who cater to their wallet/viewership) do this **** because they will abuse their power/voice (apex anyone?) to monopolize how events are ran. Think about how many events kept MK legal/IC grabs legal/terrible stages because "oh we gotta train for apex!" **** that.

Please
****ing
Learn
From
Brawl

Last edited:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Razer, the main problem will come from people taking years to select a custom moveset. And even then, we don't know how it will work for the Wii U yet. I will admit that customizing was easier than expected, BUT that is for the 3DS version. What about the Wii U version? What if you have to go to the customize screen for each player? Then people will want to "button check."

You see how complicated it is becoming? How much time it could waste?

I like what Xyro is doing, just have a side event thay allows custom moves, although his rule about not allowing ANY default moves is silly. I would say, no completely normal movesets allowed.

Last edited:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
We just have to wait and see but the 3DS' version custom screen isn't long at all, the Wii U version will likely be similar.

I understand Xyro's case. He's basically just fighting our hard-headed community w/ an even harder head himself (not allowing custom moves in regular tournament). I don't see how we're ever going to be able to make changes within the game though if we're always afraid of not being able to properly communicate. I'm willing to make the sacrifice in hopes of a better playing game and moving forward towards what the smash community should be. The beginning of the game's lifespan should be the perfect opportunity to take risks, if we run into problems and no-one's willing to meet at a middle ground or agree w/ one another then so be it lol. We'll eventually have to learn to or we won't have a competitive scene to play within at all.

I wouldn't wanna neuter a perfectly viable opportunity because the problem lies within ignorance of our players rather than the game itself. I definitely remember Brawl lol it was terrible, that's exactly why I'm trying to be so upfront about it right now - we have an opportunity with this game that Brawl didn't have.

Last edited:

Xyro77

We took risk at the beginning by allowing IC chain grab (zero to death was discovered by month 3) and MK, look what happened........they never left even when the public pleaded.

Same with custom moves and other dumb ****. If u allow it day one, there is a 99% chance it will stick.

You cannot put faith in people who think about themselves or their wallet or viewership. I've watch this mistake be made over and over since 2004.

Last edited:

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Wait RT. You're reasoning is logistics. Allan's reasoning for custom moves falls into the same category as MK/ICs. So my question is, if according to RT, custom moves are garbage for the most part, why not allow them?

Zano

Smash Master
NNID
DuelistZano
only real problem I have with custom moves is that they randomly drop and you can get multiples of the same one, so unlocking them is **** and unless you dedicate a lot of time soley to getting them or getting lucky and get the really good ones, everyone is going to have different advantages.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I most likely am not getting the 3ds version nor watching very many videos outside of Yoshi matches, but I did not know you had to find em like having to get lucky with CDs in brawl.
Doubt custom moves will be tournament viable then since not every wii used in the tournament will have em all.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
only real problem I have with custom moves is that they randomly drop and you can get multiples of the same one, so unlocking them is **** and unless you dedicate a lot of time soley to getting them or getting lucky and get the really good ones, everyone is going to have different advantages.
You play Monster Hunter. Get yo grind on, NO JOHNS.

Xyro77

Wait RT. You're reasoning is logistics. Allan's reasoning for custom moves falls into the same category as MK/ICs. So my question is, if according to RT, custom moves are garbage for the most part, why not allow them?
Items are garbage, so we ignore them.

Customs moves (if garbage) with be treated the same.

Smash has been played 15 years with custom moves. No need to add them in and change the status quo just cause it may make your char better. Think about the longevity of a game while keeping it as fair as possible. Custom moves is a pandoras box. It could create the next MK. And knowing this community, they are too stupid to retract a move like that if it does indeed create a problem. If you give them an inch, they take a mile. So don't give them an inch to begin with.

Last edited:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I think Slush had the best reason for not using them. If we want to use custom moves in tournaments, then every wiiu has to have every move unlocked. From what I heard, finding them is very tedious and there's 200 of these moves to unlock.

BlueJx23

Smash Cadet
Hi guys. Hope you don't mind me jumping in the conversation. I was just wondering what ya'll think of using custom moves as just a way of balancing the roster (if the unlocking issue weren't a problem).

Like Ike, for example. I've seen a custom move variation of his aether that makes it easier for him to recover. If it were somehow decided that Ike just wasn't a very tournament viable character (say 6 months post release), couldn't we make a ruleset that allows Ike players to change specifically allowed moves to their custom variations? I feel like that would encourage players to try out lower tier characters later in the metagame when tournament variety would start to diminish.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I think Slush had the best reason for not using them. If we want to use custom moves in tournaments, then every wiiu has to have every move unlocked. From what I heard, finding them is very tedious and there's 200 of these moves to unlock.
Nah I don't think this is valid. Some stages are hard to grind out too. Eventually they'll be unlocked. Houston's first tournament is a month after the US release. I think that's plenty of time to unlock them, especially with guides that will be out.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
It's incredibly valid, Razer. Eventually doesn't give you an entire room of setups with all the customized moves when you need them. :applejack:

Last edited:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
There is a problem with having setups where not everything is unlocked. I've been to tournys where Wolf wasn't unlocked. Get called to that setup? Sure, you can go back to the TO and tell them you need to go to a different setup because your main isn't unlocked on that one. But have fun having an opponent getting ready to pick D3 because they now know who you're going to use.

:059:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That's what double blind is for. The real problem KRD is that it slows the tournament down if by happenstance, there are no other TVs available when your match gets called. At bigger tournaments, this is even worse because of the coordination between players and TOs needs to be to run it efficiently. You risk losing an entire set worth of time just because a Wii didn't have a character locked.

I've seen it happen to. At events that were more recent no less (around 2013-ish). :applejack:

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Ending tournament events on time should be something Texas strives to do for Smash 4. It's honestly appalling that events running so late was the norm for Brawl/P:M. :applejack:

Last edited:
Top Bottom