• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HOBO 17: R.I.P metaknight=Meta banned!!!!! (FULL RESULTS and PICS on first page)

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
I'm anti-ban but in all honesty. I thought it was refreshing not to see so many MK's, felt kinda bad for Dojo.

LOL, everyone thought Dojo was using MK for the tournament when he played razer.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
The results would have been more interesting with metaknight in all honesty. All this special tournament did for singles was hold back dojo and infinity. I don't see any change whatsoever.
It forced them to use real characters for once. You dont see changes cause you dont keep up with the results.

Check out hobo 12, 16, 17.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
UltimateRazer - Good job little man. I'm never letting you commentate ever again though. :laugh::laugh::laugh:. How the **** do you think of that stuff?

Gnes - Expected nothing less :). Good *****

Dojo - Nothing will stop you from being sexy. You never fail to impress.

Fliphop - Wow great placing :). Flip coming back?

Lee Martin - Thanks so much for letting me use your controller after mine broke. Come to texas more <3.

mikeHaze GBD - Great MM. The yelling was kind of gay though haha. Come back to texas!

I'm too lazy to do the rest of the shoutouts. >_>.

<3 everyone.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Feedback on tournament: The tournament was really fun. Despite the fact that we started really late because of the unexpected turnout (I honestly only expected like 70ish!), I think the tournament was done pretty well. I was so tired after running the bracket that I actually didn't care when I got knocked out of singles, lol!

As for the tourney results, the only person truly affected was Dojo, and he still managed to get top 3 without MK, which is impressive. The top tournament spots still consisted of mostly top/high tiers. But still, watching the final few matches have something besides MK was fun. And I think that was the most important aspect to consider...FUN.

Teams results might have been slightly different if MK was allowed though. But, if Hobo 18 allows MK in teams, I guess we'll see what happens then. :)

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
San Antonio feels pretty demoralized about their trip to HOBO, from what Espy tells me.

Jack Frost says he's officially done with the game. I can't blame him, there's no point in playing a game if you can't even enjoy winning.

Hence Mango's infamous comment about Brawl being a business where Melee still has people coming to play the game, as a testament to the game's quality.

I've read a similar statement on SRK in the welcome 09ers thread:

While the HALO community is quite large, many people become competitive in hopes of winning 10,000 dollar pots, while in the fighting game community, the biggest events rarely give out 2,000 to 3,000 dollars. Most people in the fighting game community would have given up years ago if they didn't love the game, because the money certainly isn't worth it.

Whenever I hear things like Dojo's comment at Genesis: "I would give up all my skill and winnings at Brawl to be as good as Silent Spectre." Or Nike playing Melee after FS6: "I can't believe I entered a Brawl tournament today...."

I really have to wonder why people are playing this game. Sure, I myself don't find it fun, but most people aren't either and yet they're playing it. Something doesn't add up to me. I guess money is the only thing left.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
San Antonio feels pretty demoralized about their trip to HOBO, from what Espy tells me.

Jack Frost says he's officially done with the game. I can't blame him, there's no point in playing a game if you can't even enjoy winning.

Hence Mango's infamous comment about Brawl being a business where Melee still has people coming to play the game, as a testament to the game's quality.

While the HALO community is quite large, many people become competitive in hopes of winning 10,000 dollar pots, while in the fighting game community, the biggest events rarely give out 2,000 to 3,000 dollars. Most people in the fighting game community would have given up years ago if they didn't love the game, because the money certainly isn't worth it.

Whenever I hear things like Dojo's comment at Genesis: "I would give up all my skill and winnings at Brawl to be as good as Silent Spectre." Or Nike playing Melee after FS6: "I can't believe I entered a Brawl tournament today...."

I really have to wonder why people are playing this game. Sure, I myself don't find it fun, but most people aren't either and yet they're playing it. Something doesn't add up to me. I guess money is the only thing left.
Um, maybe because we do find it fun? Just because some people are vocal about not liking brawl doesn't mean others don't enjoy it.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings

First good post i have seen in this whole thread.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
This tournament was really fun since it reminded me of the old HOBOs. :). Some amazing matches happen like Dojo vs Mikehaze. Haze coming was also cool. Turn out was great and should be bigger next time. Pools got us held back a little but the tourney still finished.. IHOP after was really fun too. Dojo is still good even without mk but I want to see what happens if hes allowed in teams :).

Sorry is was me and Gnes again guys lol. Just try to step it up :p. Hopefully, Gnes will catch me one day...oh and him vs haze was tight too. Step one in the plan to make him known is underway =D.

Can't wait for next time. Fun tournament with cool people and matches = Exploding Ducks.

@KM: A lot of people still find brawl fun.

Xyro77

KM, excluding MLG or a sponsored event. When has a halo tourney put up 10Gs as pot? Show me some NON sponsored events and lets compar some numbers.

Fighting games live for a very very very long time. NONE of the halos(or any shooter) will be in the shape mvsc2 or sf2t or melee is in 10 years down the line. Fighting games have something shooters dont.......LONG LASTING APPEAL.

SA was demorlaized from hobo17 you say? BOO HOO. They can man up and get better or just go to tournies for the PEOPLE and for the FUN(this is what most people do). Jack and nike are great guys, i thought they had fun. They seemed like they had fun.

NONE of this "adds up" because you are soooo stuck on the melee ship( a sinking one) and you aint giving brawl a legit chance(be honest, you really havnt. you cater to melee and you defend melee at every chance you get).

the numbers speak for themselves. melee is dead(or dying, for those of you that still see hope) and brawl is the future. It does not matter which one is better(melee) because the odds are against melee in every way.

btw, you had 64 brawl players at FS6, how many melee players where at fs7

Smoom77

Smash Master
Personally, I don't know about others, but I never had a chance to play Melee with others, and I was a nooby 9 year old when it was popular. I had no idea what a wavedash was. When brawl came out, I just sold Melee without knowing how valueable it was and I had not grown such a love to it as you guys have. The switch between brawl and melee was just it, melee didn't exist to me anymore. Maybe this appears to others?

But anyways, I'm in love with Brawl more than others most likely because I hadn't loved Melee as much.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Um, maybe because we do find it fun? Just because some people are vocal about not liking brawl doesn't mean others don't enjoy it.
I'ma start being vocal.

I ****'n love Brawl! Seriously, what other game can you play where you can have characters like Sonic and Wolf, or Bowser and Snake fight eachother? I personally think it's brilliant and a lot of fun.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
NONE of this "adds up" because you are soooo stuck on the melee ship( a sinking one) and you aint giving brawl a legit chance(be honest, you really havnt. you cater to melee and you defend melee at every chance you get).
I usually dont post much but your comments are just asking for them. Your analogy of Melee as a sinking ship is pretty lame and is just asking for a flame war.

the numbers speak for themselves. melee is dead(or dying, for those of you that still see hope) and brawl is the future. It does not matter which one is better(melee) because the odds are against melee in every way.

The only reason Brawl has so many people is because its new and appeals more to people just starting to play Smash. The fact that you have more people playing brawl doesnt really change the fact that melee is overall a better game. So please stop denying that melee, no matter how much crap you throw at it, will never die. :ohwell:

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Jerm wuts up with this nub :/ not getting top 8. Step it up. Oh and I <3 brawl AND melee :p. Just play both games and shut up or play one but dont bash the other.

Smoom77

Smash Master
smoom. why didnt you go to hobo17 like you wanted to?
My parents just were sorta, 'You're not going.' for no reason. We had NOTHING to do that day. >_> She knew it was important to me.

Edit: I still don't know why she didn't take me. =/

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
The only reason Brawl has so many people is because its new and appeals more to people just starting to play Smash. The fact that you have more people playing brawl doesnt really change the fact that melee is overall a better game. So please stop denying that melee, no matter how much crap you throw at it, will never die. :ohwell:
Dude STFU, your constant babbling is sooooo fukking annoying. Enough, Xyro already posted saying melee was the better game. So get over it ****!

When you say it will never die your right, people are gonna get bored one day and call all their friends over to play melee with all their items on very high. LOL.

And as KRD said, it is brilliant with the additions of all the new characters such as snake, wolf, sonic, pkmn trainer, MK lol.

Maybe not MK.

I like MK though tbh

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
To me brawl is only fun in FRIENDLIES when nothing matters. in tournament its just a lot of stress and dumb stuff.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I had a blast. First big tourny, and saw a lot of new faces. Just want to shout out to DugFinn for the housing and breakfast. Xyro and crew running the tourny as smooth as possible, and to everyone else who I got a chance to play with. Good stuff guys.

And yea, Xyro, sorry that I didn't tell you my main if I was supposed to, it's Ike.

Coulda, shoulda, done better, but my nerves got to me. Next time, hopefully that won't happen.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Dude STFU, your constant babbling is sooooo fukking annoying. Enough, Xyro already posted saying melee was the better game. So get over it ****!
Not until xyro stop being an ******* towards anything melee related. Oh and calm down.

When you say it will never die your right, people are gonna get bored one day and call all their friends over to play melee with all their items on very high. LOL.
Like evo did for Brawl?

And as KRD said, it is brilliant with the additions of all the new characters such as snake, wolf, sonic, pkmn trainer, MK lol.
Snake was a mistake, Sonic sucks, ew more pokemon, Metaknight is banned.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Thanks for calling me trash. :(

Edit: and Allan alot of people are just sick at the way this game has been playing for... well, since it came out. The only reason they even stick around is because friendlies and friends keep them interested, then they goto tournament and realize this game isn't fun unless you have fun camping.

That's pretty much why I enjoy doubles waaaaaaaay more than singles. My *** almost always gets ran from. That isn't fun to me dude.
this

To me brawl is only fun in FRIENDLIES when nothing matters. in tournament its just a lot of stress and dumb stuff.
and this

tallman and esca didn't leave me shouts outs, and allan called me trash for not making it out of pools :(:(:(

though i did have a very hard pool while some people had like no one in their pool :( (johns i know but it just irks me).

oh well, i'm 95% this is my last tourney but if it's not i'm only going for friendlies and doubles if anyone will team with me. doubles > singles.

shout outs later

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
Not until xyro stop being an ******* towards anything melee related. Oh and calm down.
Xyro isn't being an ***, he is being honest. Melee had only like 20 ppl there yesterday. So it apparently ain't striving. And don't tell me to calm down a$$wipe.

Like evo did for Brawl?.
Wtf I look like paying attention to other tournaments?

Snake was a mistake, Sonic sucks, ew more pokemon, Metaknight is banned.
I think your just mad cause Captain Falcon got nerfed.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Enough with the Melee vs Brawl stuff.

Stop arguing.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Xyro isn't being an ***, he is being honest. Melee had only like 20 ppl there yesterday. So it apparently ain't striving. And don't tell me to calm down a$$wipe.
Melee is dead. The results are in the trash. ROFL!!!!!
Oh he is a really nice guy.

Melee had only like 20 ppl there yesterday. So it apparently ain't striving.
Oh wow you are saying that 20 people for melee isnt good for a Brawl tournament. If you havent noticed thats pretty good since melee has been out for like 7 years. Oh and also, Brawl has large turnouts because of the large amount of smash newcomers coming in to play. More kids doesnt mean better game (I guess since Wii sold more, its better than Xbox360, lulz).

And don't tell me to calm down a$$wipe.
Calm down.

Wtf I look like paying attention to other tournaments?
Maybe you should.

I think your just mad cause Captain Falcon got nerfed.
No, im mad because Brawl is nerfed.

Gnes

Smash Master
Shoutout time!!!!

1: UltimateRazer (snake)-Hmm...i scared u that second set huh. Ill get u someday. Good stuff yesterday bro. Oh yeah that 0-death tech chase on that ike, i CREAMED MY PANTS...TWICE!!!
2: Gnes (diddy)-**** son, knocking both lee martin and mikehaze into losers, proving the diddy boards wrong, rewriting matchups, somebody got pro.
3: Dojo (diddy/kirby)-Hahaha best kirby. I told u would could get top 10 easily and what do u do, get top 3. **** meta, Sexy is Sexy no matter what. :)
4: Fliphop (diddy)-Man, bro, u have no idea how many people were impressed with u today. So many people asking "Was flip always this good" LOL they just dont know. Man, i dont really want u to retire, but even if u do, its not like we wont chill sometime. Good shiz man, i would expect nothingless from the guy who taught me.
5: Lee Martin (lucario)-****...wario is so gay. GGs man, i wish u played lucario against me and not just Flip. And btw, u **** in teams, like double ***** ****.
5: mikeHaze GBD (marth)-The man himself. Dude it was nice meeting u, ur super chill, and it was cool playing u over the week. I knew we would meet in tourney, and our tourney matches went nothing like the friendlies. Ur too good. U better come back to texas sometime.
7: UTDZac (GW)-Why are u so godly in teams??? And why do u keep losing to Dojo??? So many questions. Regardless, ur too pro.
7: Bwett (yoshi/ddd/diddy)-Between u and shayla and yal's love of yoshi, i think ill kill myself. MAIN DIDDY!!!!!
9: Roy (marth)-It was cool seeing u again man. It seems it doesnt matter if roy hasnt played in 3 months, he will always be Roy_****ing R. Good shiz man.
9: Melee1 (IC)-Haha i taught flip how to play icies before he played u. So i guess u should be mad at me :(
9: Jerm (toon link)-Lose to Dojo one more time, and i promise...dear god...Good stuff in teams. Double tink too pro.
13: Broly (marth/falco)-Dude thanks for your support in my matches. I really never understood what crowd support was until i played Mike/razer and u were rooting for me (including others). Thanks man. Btw...we need to play/chill/etc. RGV too cool.
13: Ice (snake)-I love u sexy. And u did freaking good in teams, Ice steppin it up.
13: Vorguen (snake)-Man, this guy here, talking about "I suck" and u get 13th. No more johns man, ur good. Nuff said.
13: Trela (lucario)-Wow u didnt lose to RT. GOOD FOR U!!!!
17: Hylian (IC)-IHOP stories were too fun. People like u make me want to make the effort to go OOS. And i will, and u better be there backing me up all the way ^.^
17: RT (lucario)-*sings*MURDERHOUSE MURDERHOUSE MURDERHOUSE, I think i sense murder in that house.
17: Infinity (wario/kirby/diddy)-Our ditto was too good. Ive got something to talk about to u later, but in response to the tourney, good stuff. Get your camp on son, ur wario, u sort of have to lol.
17: Error (IC/olimar)-Come to texas more, though i know its quite the drive. El paso too pro, 3rd in teams, i think so.
17: Shuz (kirby)-Dair-Footstool ftw. **** U SHUZ!!!!
17: furiousduffman (gw/???)-It was so cool chillin with u at seiya's house. Thanks for ****** my snake. I know what i have to work on, and hopefully it will get better. Be ready for that rematch.:)
25: Xyro (samus)-Highest placing low tier, Dude just pick up a high tier and start winning tourneys. Sam Sam holds u back :(
25: TakeUrLife (marth)-It was gay what happened in your pool. Really gay :(
25: Magik (pkmn T)-Why do u hate everyone? But even if u hate me, ill still love u ^.^
25: Esca (luigi/pit)-Dude luigi is obviously way. I wish mine could be as good as yours. Rumble young man Rumble
33: Cake (olimar/wario)-Mi ***** cake, why do we only see each other like every 3 months. There needs to be a teleportat device developed, NOW!!!!
33: Poptop (wario)-Pop in the shop, he flipped on the pot, it boiled over, and fell on his ****.
33: Light (shiek/rob)-Dude friday night was too good. Between GPS mindgaming us, melee at 5am in the morning, or teams at Seiyas it was an amazing precursor to the tourney. U make me want to house people more. And sakurai gayed u this tourney, BIG TIME!!!

I might edit if i remember anything else, forgot anybody, etc.
This tourney was amazing in my opinion. I guess its the kind of hype that can only exist when OOS players come. It was a few bracket problems hear and there, but overall pretty good management. Good stuff texas, wish we would have got our bonus.

ICE27

Smash Apprentice
NNID
michael0275
1: UltimateRazer - Dang little brother winning yet another tournment. And 2 - 0ing me in pools. Looks like Imma have to steal your S*** if I plan on beating you next time

2: Gnes - D*** Gnes amazing placing. Maybe next time I'll catch you in tournment. But, by the looks of it I wonder if I want to put myself through all the banana games.

3: Dojo - No MK? No problem right Dojo? Good job beating mike haze amazing last match definitly one for the record books. Good to see you again bro.

4: Fliphop - Fliphopper da showstoppa! Making good in this hobo huh? Do I sense a comeback?

5: Lee Martin - LEE! Thanks for playing lucario ;). Good **** winning teams.

5: mikeHaze GBD - Nice to meet you mike. Amazing marth. Definitly living up to the hype. Godo stratgey against IC's I might have to steal that.

7: UTDZac - Nice job this tourny zac. Thought you would have surely gotten higher tho

7: Bwett - Good job billy. This tourny you have finally become a man. Taking a set from me in tournment. So what does that make? Something like 5 - 1 in my favor? Let's make sure that doesn't happen again :)

9: Melee1 - Nice placing for not being to a tournment in awhile. Good Job in teams I couldn't have asked for a better placing.

9: Jerm - Jerm jerm jerm.. You gotta becareful man. Do u not know I tech almost everything? It's a shame I couldn't land that victory tho. Would have been EPIC!

13: Broly - Man thanks for the last minute advice but I just didn't catch it in time. From now on you need to be behind me every match so things like that dont happen again. :)

13: Vorguen - Nice to meet you man. Look forward to sharing ideas and improving our game.

17: Infinity - Hopefully the last match wasn't too much for you :). Good games Sean! I like how you turned to the crowd and said "Man I am getting wrecked!"

17: Shuz - Nice job in the tournment shuz keep it up!

25: Xyro - XYRO BEST TO EVER ENOUGH SAID!!

25: Bored - Nice job in singles. Showing Ike has quite the potentional.

33: Bluejay - Nice meeting you man. I'm glad I managed to meet the legend himself

33: Cake - Good to see you again john. Until next time. Plus friendlies next time for sure.

33: Light - Good talking to you light. Had fun messing with Katie lol. Catch you next
time man!

Xyro77

25: Xyro (samus)-Highest placing low tier, Dude just pick up a high tier and start winning tourneys. Sam Sam holds u back :(
but who!?!?!??! forget what i said about ddd or whatever. who should i pick up? he has to be in the top 5 chars on the tier list.

25: Xyro - XYRO BEST TO EVER ENOUGH SAID!!

WHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA. case closed

Smoom77

Smash Master
Xyro, come on. Join the ICs crowd even though they're not in the top 5. =/ We can always add to our family! -HUG-

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Xyro I guarantee ull be top player if u pick him. U know u want to. :metaknight: says hi. When's the next HOBO? I might go rep TL and teach jerm a few stuffz :p.

Esca

Smash Champion
Smash Champ.

Were you even in the Melee tournament? What did you place?

Here, I have a proposition.

I'm trash at Brawl. Most can agree with this. Now, I didn't even play Melee. I bet $25 dollars that I can pick up Melee from now and the next tournament, and 2 stock you.

So lets put that on the line.

My Falco or Doc vs your whatever $25. If I win, you leave the ****ing Brawl community alone, because nobody wants to hear that ****. And if you win, you get $50.

Sound like a deal, you ****ing ******?

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
KM, excluding MLG or a sponsored event. When has a halo tourney put up 10Gs as pot? Show me some NON sponsored events and lets compar some numbers.

Fighting games live for a very very very long time. NONE of the halos(or any shooter) will be in the shape mvsc2 or sf2t or melee is in 10 years down the line. Fighting games have something shooters dont.......LONG LASTING APPEAL.
I was only refering to sponsored events :dizzy: Of course nonsponsored events don't get 10,000 dollar pots, no matter what video game it is. Unless the entry fee was like 50 or 100 bucks >.>

First Person Shooters have had money sponsored events for a very long time, and have dozens more than any fighting game. Look at events such as Quakecon, CPL, and many other world famous PC competitions. Many fighting games have a lot of trouble getting sponsorship at all, while the FPS community has sponsered teams whom are paid to play in events. Smash has only ever had MLG and a few other small companies support it, and MLG is the only one that was legitimate in its rules and with paying players. Others fizzled out (Like V-games, which is REALLY old school) or had crappy tournamnents (Like MGC for example).

Why don't Shooter games have a lasting appeal? BECAUSE DEVELOPERS ACTUALLY UPDATE THEM. That's the beauty of PC. Starcraft is the most successful competitive game of all time, over 12 years of competitve play, with tournaments being broadcasted on television, and players earning celebrity status. The game has been tweaked dozens of times, keeping it fresh.

Most fighting games get sequels every couple of years, if they are lucky. Of course they have to have lasting appeal.

SA was demorlaized from hobo17 you say? BOO HOO. They can man up and get better or just go to tournies for the PEOPLE and for the FUN(this is what most people do). Jack and nike are great guys, i thought they had fun. They seemed like they had fun.

The whole point of my post was that numbers don't ****ing matter. Brawl still feels like a business to me, and despite there being a nearly identical attendance for Brawl and Melee at Genesis, where were all the eyes looking? At melee. Brawl didn't even finish on time, and almost all of the Brawl side was dead, because even the Brawl players couldn't help but watch Mango vs Armada.

My tournament had to compete with 2 other tournaments (HOBO and Show me your moves 10) the same day. I could have gotten as much as 50 plus people. I didn't, and I'm not crying about it either. The entire tournament was fun, we had a lot of good players show up, and no drama occurred.

We don't really care if you keep saying the game is dead, because we're still playing it, still enjoying it as much as ever, and still getting better at it. Melee will never truly die.

I just find it pathetic people who sucked at Melee will end up playing Brawl and admit its easier, and seem to care more about the number of people in attendance. Since when was this a popularity contest? No one really cares that Brawl gets more numbers.

Yes, I know there are the odd ones (odd ones to me at least) who legitimatly enjoy Brawl. But as for the rest who don't but play it anyways, I'm sure you can find a better game/activity to spend your time on. If you enjoy the people you meet in the Brawl community, that's fine. I myself like quite a few of the Brawlers I've met at Brawl tournaments, they're cool people. I just don't like the game.

Finally, Alan, I have given the game a chance. I went over 3 months without touching Melee, going to Whobo and SWAT, entering tournaments, playing friendlies and learning what I could.

Because I was planning to go to Dallas for the PBT Melee with Darkrain, I booted up Melee after playing Brawl for so long, and ya know what? I still enjoy Melee better. It's a game where you can actually approach without being punished, and one mistake in DI can mean death. I have full control over my character, instead of being stuck in mud like in Brawl. I don't feel like going back to Brawl just because it's new and shiny with better graphics and more characters and I especially don't care that more people play it.

I still host Brawl events, supporting the community with monthly events and majors too. I may not like the game but I respect the fact that others do really do.

Smash Champ.

Were you even in the Melee tournament? What did you place?

Here, I have a proposition.

I'm trash at Brawl. Most can agree with this. Now, I didn't even play Melee. I bet $25 dollars that I can pick up Melee from now and the next tournament, and 2 stock you.

So lets put that on the line.

My Falco or Doc vs your whatever $25. If I win, you leave the ****ing Brawl community alone, because nobody wants to hear that ****. And if you win, you get $50.

Sound like a deal, you ****ing ******?
I will take this challenge gladly, if you really think 2 months is all you need to beat someone at Melee. I didn't even get good until a year's worth of playing. 2 months won't get you anywhere.

I'll even make another Brawl tournament if it means you'll bring Beaumont to it.

Top Bottom