• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Hero-King's Council: Video Analysis

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I spy with my little eye a pickachu vs marth match starring Vipermoon Vipermoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TNUvcZ0dfo
Mr. E https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJwGXBcL2AA

Matches from thb5
Ah looks like they posted it. A couple of things. While I lost, this MU is tough and PikaPika is a really good Pikachu. There wasn't much a Marth could do during that first stock he had on me. Also, when I got the first shield break, I should have pushed him closer to the edge of the stage. I knew it wouldn't kill but for some reason I didn't think about doing it. Luckily I still killed him soon after. Other than that, a bit more ledge jumps, a little bit less on stage jumping, and maybe I could have taken one of those games.

I didn't try Dtilt or SHAD either.

Last edited:

Ako.

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlippinFilipino
Ah looks like they posted it. A couple of things. While I lost, this MU is tough and PikaPika is a really good Pikachu. There wasn't much a Marth could do during that first stock he had on me. Also, when I got the first shield break, I should have pushed him closer to the edge of the stage. I knew it wouldn't kill but for some reason I didn't think about doing it. Luckily I still killed him soon after. Other than that, a bit more ledge jumps, a little bit less on stage jumping, and maybe I could have taken one of those games.

I didn't try Dtilt or SHAD either.
I agree that pickachu is a hard mu 60-40 imo, it just so hard to deal with and punish the quick attacks with marth and he can easily play aggressive and go all over you. I think the biggest problem is your movement, you never made use of fox trot and fox trot dash cancels which is a great way to weave in and out, bait out attacks and go in when you see an opening. You also should make use of SHAD, it will help dodge quick attacks and you can follow up with an aerial or side b depending on where pickachu goes or lands after the quick attack. you also started get desperate and throw out random f-smash, which is bad, but lucky u didnt get punished for them.

Nice jab 1 into f-smash, one of my favorite combos.
I feel like there are better ways of maximizing your dmg after a shield break.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I agree that pickachu is a hard mu 60-40 imo, it just so hard to deal with and punish the quick attacks with marth and he can easily play aggressive and go all over you. I think the biggest problem is your movement, you never made use of fox trot and fox trot dash cancels which is a great way to weave in and out, bait out attacks and go in when you see an opening. You also should make use of SHAD, it will help dodge quick attacks and you can follow up with an aerial or side b depending on where pickachu goes or lands after the quick attack. you also started get desperate and throw out random f-smash, which is bad, but lucky u didnt get punished for them.

Nice jab 1 into f-smash, one of my favorite combos.
I feel like there are better ways of maximizing your dmg after a shield break.
I SHAD and dance trot all the time. I was just nervous and didn't realize that I was changing my playstyle because of it. Actually, if you saw me in a skidding animation, that was me messing up a dance trot. I did that a few times.... nervous.

The Fsmashes I threw out when I anticipated QA. I was correct in those reads and they could have ended stocks/the game. I couldn't get the timing, but generally speaking. Fsmash is really scary for Pikas spamming QA and is one of the best ways Marth deals with it since Marth doesn't have lingering bitboxes.

Last edited:

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I SHAD and dance trot all the time. I was just nervous and didn't realize that I was changing my playstyle because of it. Actually, if you saw me in a skidding animation, that was me messing up a dance trot. I did that a few times.... nervous.

The Fsmashes I threw out when I anticipated QA. I was correct in those reads and they could have ended stocks/the game. I couldn't get the timing, but generally speaking. Fsmash is really scary for Pikas spamming QA and is one of the best ways Marth deals with it since Marth doesn't have lingering bitboxes.
Good set, and stinks about your nerves affecting your playstyle :/

Upsmash, nair, and uptilt will usually catch pika out of Quick Attack, and are way easier to time. Liked your style of marth though, nice db punishes and wise choices made overall. Seemed like you were playing a tad bit slow, and also getting hit by things you could've avoided/held shield and been fine. Try working on your OOS options.

When PikaPika baired your shield/landed behind you, upsmash oos can punish it if you expect it, reverse up b oos is amazing too. Honestly up-b oos is the answer to crossup, if you can master shield drop->turnaround->buffered grab that's good too, and done more consistently oos drifting away bair is solid too.

Walk->Perfect Shield->Jab is amazing to stop pika from follow up approaches after tjolt, or grab if he approaches with a dash to shield. work on trying to hit pika out of QA, he got back on stage for free alot. Nair is your best option imo, uair is good, same with upsmash if you have the read or uptilt if you know they're going above your head

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Upsmash, nair, and uptilt will usually catch pika out of Quick Attack, and are way easier to time. Liked your style of marth though, nice db punishes and wise choices made overall. Seemed like you were playing a tad bit slow, and also getting hit by things you could've avoided/held shield and been fine. Try working on your OOS options. When PikaPika baired your shield/landed behind you, upsmash oos can punish it if you expect it, reverse up b oos is amazing too. Honestly up-b oos is the answer to crossup, if you can master shield drop->turnaround->buffered grab that's good too, and done more consistently oos drifting away bair is solid too.
Walk->Perfect Shield->Jab is amazing to stop pika from follow up approaches after tjolt, or grab if he approaches with a dash to shield. work on trying to hit pika out of QA, he got back on stage for free alot. Nair is your best option imo, uair is good, same with upsmash if you have the read or uptilt if you know they're going above your head
Thanks man. I'll keep this stuff in mind.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Seemed like you were playing a tad bit slow, and also getting hit by things you could've avoided/held shield and been fine.
This in itself would've been my biggest "fault" from watching these. A bit too much not moving/waiting, or going for a punish without moving hoping the opponent would move into you.

It's easy to forget to move... but the moment you stop moving is the moment the opponent's ability to anticipate your next choices goes up significantly (by virtue of when you actually move, they know a commitment is coming).

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126

Upsmash, nair, and uptilt will usually catch pika out of Quick Attack, and are way easier to time. Liked your style of marth though, nice db punishes and wise choices made overall. Seemed like you were playing a tad bit slow, and also getting hit by things you could've avoided/held shield and been fine. Try working on your OOS options.

When PikaPika baired your shield/landed behind you, upsmash oos can punish it if you expect it, reverse up b oos is amazing too. Honestly up-b oos is the answer to crossup, if you can master shield drop->turnaround->buffered grab that's good too, and done more consistently oos drifting away bair is solid too.

This in itself would've been my biggest "fault" from watching these. A bit too much not moving/waiting, or going for a punish without moving hoping the opponent would move into you.

It's easy to forget to move... but the moment you stop moving is the moment the opponent's ability to anticipate your next choices goes up significantly (by virtue of when you actually move, they know a commitment is coming).

Psssst. I stole these ideas and will use them myself lol. Also, good stuff Vipermoon Vipermoon

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Lol pretty flashy. But that guy was basically a punching bag anyway. I liked your dancing blade mixups.

Edit: this goes to show how screwed a character is if all of his aerials are really slow

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Yeah, he was a scrub for sure, but the strings felt really good :D

Lol pretty flashy. But that guy was basically a punching bag anyway. I liked your dancing blade mixups.

Edit: this goes to show how screwed a character is if all of his aerials are really slow

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Here are some recent videos.

I am excited about the way I am using ftilt.

Ftilt's range is amazing, and with my fastfall approach, it makes it a great pressure tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM9uedOKMFk - I know this T Link is a total scrub, but I like the big finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNeJvL7_aEQ (Just a short highlight vid)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsmIALHJLM - This Wario was overly aggressive, and underestimated Marth I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr3M8ZBVp3c - This Falco isn't that great, plays too safe and gets overwhelmed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyrwRs_Pvxs - I know the Sheik in this video isn't high level skill by any means, but clearly isn't terrible either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acsbulbVYh0 - Me vs a decent Capt Falcon

Also, has anyone noticed that people just rush in on Marth, like they don't respect him at all? That just frustrates me, but perhaps we can use it to our advantage.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Here's one of my replays against a Fox player on Anther's. The rest of my replays I either went Falcon or were too long for Youtube.

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
I have a video for you guys 2 watch and gave me honest feedback it was vs a shiek I will upload more vids as I get the chance.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5D33EScBZEM
This is against a Roy I fought on for glory
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9R6apEZsLQ0
Against shiek, you should use nair to ftilt more. Try to land within tipper range. It's a good spacing a pressure tool that you just don't seem to be using.
You did good against Roy. He wasn't as aggressive and combo heavy as many Roys though. He was basically a sandbag.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Against shiek, you should use nair to ftilt more. Try to land within tipper range. It's a good spacing a pressure tool that you just don't seem to be using.
You did good against Roy. He wasn't as aggressive and combo heavy as many Roys though. He was basically a sandbag.
Thanks I actually just started 2 master realizing the spacing between ftilt and Uptilt. I mostly favor uptilt bcz u get a lot of rewards from it.

I have another few matches for you all 2 discuss
This is another match with me vs the same shiek
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UX10gk6f1Xc
And these are sme Marth ditties against a player name zFlaRe
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kaa4mM9Ffto
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2m8kH8U4vjg
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcaNJvkMG90

This a game of me vs a peach player name skull
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j6OYzHNreb4

Last edited:

DariusM27

Smash Ace
Thanks I actually just started 2 master realizing the spacing between ftilt and Uptilt. I mostly favor uptilt bcz u get a lot of rewards from it.

I have another few matches for you all 2 discuss
This is another match with me vs the same shiek

Vs sheik, I think the full hop fair is a good idea, but only use a second falling areal if you are very confident it will land, because sheik will be looking for the easy punish. Descending into dancing blade or nair1 isn't a bad option at all, or just fastfall.

Those tilts saved your butt many times in this match. I think if the sheik doesn't respect the tilts, marth has an excellent chance of winning. When you lost your first stock, I think before that would have been a good time to nair to dtilt - ftilt, using safe spacing. You might have lived a bit longer, not sure. Be sure to go for grabs and dancing blade also, which you did do dancing blade very well.
Great job!

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
DariusM27 DariusM27

I only things I can think of are:

- A little too much Fsmash at times where it has no chance to kill. No need to commit that hard.
- Too much shield breaker this patch. You should adapt to the nerf.
- Watch how often you're in the air against the dash attack characters like Pit and Fox. I know you didn't show those MUs but just saying that jumping is generally unsafe with our character.
- Your SHADs are predictable in both the way you use them and what you're going for during one.
- Post matches against better players because it's hard to see your exact play style (incase you're sandbagging) and mistakes under pressure otherwise.

H-O-G H-O-G

I lost my extremely long post due to backspace taking me back. We'll try again. I'll talk about things as I randomly remember them. Thanks for posting different MUs and even one of you losing and one on a different stage. I was able to see your habits this way (but it was still hard because none of your opponents have developed a punish game).

- Good use of Utilt and Ftilt and you don't use Fsmash too much.
- You do DB1, 2, 3 up, 4 up. 1, 2, 3 forward, 4 up is usually better. I remember your lack of doing this got you punished once in the Marth ditto. Also 3 forward comes out faster and that's important since because DB2 often misses, DB3 won't technically combo.
- Try to make sure SB will actually break a shield (it almost always won't) before you go for it
- You usually roll behind your opponent in pressure situations. That Peach, for example, should have destroyed you for it but he didn't have the bait and punish skills.
- Try to incorporate more Dtilt into your game. Walking Dtilt is good and then watch their movements. That alone will noticeably improve your Marth. You use attack stick right? Sour Dtilt on someone past 100% then tech chase into DS kill. Or sour Dtilt at low percents into DB is great too.
- You use Usmash when it doesn't kill. This makes the reward a lot smaller than the risk.
- Separately, Usmash after Dthrow doesn't work and even when it does it's not safe on hit. You'd be punished for hitting them with it at that %.
- Use frame perfect Dthrow Uair then into a landing trap or Dthrow to frame perfect Bair Uair Utilt if they let you.
- On your Uair to falling Uair to rising Uair string on the Roy you waited too long before the 3rd Uair. Just make sure you use the buffer window to stay frame perfect.
- In half a dozen situations when you and your opponent are both in the air and landing you managed to get a Fair. These are falling Uair missed opportunities. The difference in reward on these two options are too big.
- You had some missed jab opportunities.
- Edgeguard Roy with counter. That guy always air dodged to a vertical Uspecial so in that case just wait that out and you can still counter vertically. And when you try Fair make sure you're being as quick as possible so either your opponent doesn't react or you swipe through the beginning of their air dodge so that you guarantee a DS stage spike out of their air dodge lag/recovery start-up. But to do this you can't go too far horizontally with the Fair.
- Use SHAD. The opposite of what I told Darius.

Overall not bad.

Last edited:

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
DariusM27 DariusM27

I only things I can think of are:

- A little too much Fsmash at times where it has no chance to kill. No need to commit that hard.
- Too much shield breaker this patch. You should adapt to the nerf.
- Watch how often you're in the air against the dash attack characters like Pit and Fox. I know you didn't show those MUs but just saying that jumping is generally unsafe with our character.
- Your SHADs are predictable in both the way you use them and what you're going for during one.
- Post matches against better players because it's hard to see your exact play style (incase you're sandbagging) and mistakes under pressure otherwise.

H-O-G H-O-G

I lost my extremely long post due to backspace taking me back. We'll try again. I'll talk about things as I randomly remember them. Thanks for posting different MUs and even one of you losing and one on a different stage. I was able to see your habits this way (but it was still hard because none of your opponents have developed a punish game).

- Good use of Utilt and Ftilt and you don't use Fsmash too much.
- You do DB1, 2, 3 up, 4 up. 1, 2, 3 forward, 4 up is usually better. I remember your lack of doing this got you punished once in the Marth ditto. Also 3 forward comes out faster and that's important since because DB2 often misses, DB3 won't technically combo.
- Try to make sure SB will actually break a shield (it almost always won't) before you go for it
- You usually roll behind your opponent in pressure situations. That Peach, for example, should have destroyed you for it but he didn't have the bait and punish skills.
- Try to incorporate more Dtilt into your game. Walking Dtilt is good and then watch their movements. That alone will noticeably improve your Marth. You use attack stick right? Sour Dtilt on someone past 100% then tech chase into DS kill. Or sour Dtilt at low percents into DB is great too.
- You use Usmash when it doesn't kill. This makes the reward a lot smaller than the risk.
- Separately, Usmash after Dthrow doesn't work and even when it does it's not safe on hit. You'd be punished for hitting them with it at that %.
- Use frame perfect Dthrow Uair then into a landing trap or Dthrow to frame perfect Bair Uair Utilt if they let you.
- On your Uair to falling Uair to rising Uair string on the Roy you waited too long before the 3rd Uair. Just make sure you use the buffer window to stay frame perfect.
- In half a dozen situations when you and your opponent are both in the air and landing you managed to get a Fair. These are falling Uair missed opportunities. The difference in reward on these two options are too big.
- You had some missed jab opportunities.
- Edgeguard Roy with counter. That guy always air dodged to a vertical Uspecial so in that case just wait that out and you can still counter vertically. And when you try Fair make sure you're being as quick as possible so either your opponent doesn't react or you swipe through the beginning of their air dodge so that you guarantee a DS stage spike out of their air dodge lag/recovery start-up. But to do this you can't go too far horizontally with the Fair.
- Use SHAD. The opposite of what I told Darius.

Overall not bad.
Thanks for the critique I will take these notes and try 2 implement them into my game and what u said about dancing blade I never had that knowledge. Also wen I dwn throw 2 upsmash it's never meant 2 happen mostly it happens bcz of lag

Honor

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the critique I will take these notes and try 2 implement them into my game and what u said about dancing blade I never had that knowledge. Also wen I dwn throw 2 upsmash it's never meant 2 happen mostly it happens bcz of lag
It's annoying because I honestly find that my game suffers after I play online. The lag threw me off so much that I refuse to do it at this point :(

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
It's annoying because I honestly find that my game suffers after I play online. The lag threw me off so much that I refuse to do it at this point :(
Yh when ur playing any fighting game lag can ruin you.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I would really like critique with this video.

This is the one match I had with this Diddy Kong player where I won without a Sudden Death Match. How did I do? What could I have done better? And critique on the other Marth videos on my channel would be nice.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

Lol at this set. Mr. E correctly held up during/after Dolphin Slash to stall himself a bit in the air and fall slower but what he didn't do is what killed him and lost him however much money. If he had the presence of mind to realize Keitaro was going to die (I mean I don't blame him especially because that was a scary spike), he could have Dancing Blade air-stalled right after the double jump, then used DS. This for sure would have bought him enough time to win that game.

@Gunblade789 Yeah, since the Nair damage buff he does have the strongest Nair in the game. Ganondorf comes close though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

Lol at this set. Mr. E correctly held up during/after Dolphin Slash to stall himself a bit in the air and fall slower but what he didn't do is what killed him and lost him however much money. If he had the presence of mind to realize Keitaro was going to die (I mean I don't blame him especially because that was a scary spike), he could have Dancing Blade air-stalled right after the double jump, then used DS. This for sure would have bought him enough to win that game.

@Gunblade789 Yeah, since the Nair damage buff he does have the strongest Nair in the game. Ganondorf comes close though.
Winners finals between them was uploaded on RHS Tournament instead of Rush Hour Smash: https://youtu.be/EZwxJULL-Ro... Shouldn't Rush Hour Smash be Keitaro and False plus friends-only stuff while RHS Tournament is the "official" channel for tournament-related stuff? Whatever... Enjoy the match and critique away. First off, Mr. E had that set in the bag... and then he SDs and mis-spaces a critical punish. Question: why would you ever opt for Shield Breaker over Side Smash for punishes like that?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Winners finals between them was uploaded on RHS Tournament instead of Rush Hour Smash: https://youtu.be/EZwxJULL-Ro... Shouldn't Rush Hour Smash be Keitaro and False plus friends-only stuff while RHS Tournament is the "official" channel for tournament-related stuff? Whatever... Enjoy the match and critique away. First off, Mr. E had that set in the bag... and then he SDs and mis-spaces a critical punish. Question: why would you ever opt for Shield Breaker over Side Smash for punishes like that?
When he punished Falco's Phantasm start-up? I don't know. SB is transcendent but it's only out for 2 frames and has more start-up. It was really weird to see him do that but in actuality, that was a pretty optimal thing to do. Shield Breaker reaches way farther than Fsmash (and even more so when done in the air). But yeah it seems he did the entire tournament with Marth and it would have been great seeing Marth take a tournament because we all know that doesn't happen often. I have no idea if he intends to still use Sheik.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
When he punished Falco's Phantasm start-up? I don't know. SB is transcendent but it's only out for 2 frames and has more start-up. It was really weird to see him do that but in actuality, that was a pretty optimal thing to do. Shield Breaker reaches way farther than Fsmash (and even more so when done in the air). But yeah it seems he did the entire tournament with Marth and it would have been great seeing Marth take a tournament because we all know that doesn't happen often. I have no idea if he intends to still use Sheik.
No, when he broke Keitaro's shield and used Shield Breaker to try and kill him. Maybe it was a spur of the moment thing, but I would have used Side Smash instead - even an uncharged Side Smash should kill him at the ledge. At the same time, Mr. EE really mis-spaced his punish - Keitaro was about a step away from getting hit.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
No, when he broke Keitaro's shield and used Shield Breaker to try and kill him. Maybe it was a spur of the moment thing, but I would have used Side Smash instead - even an uncharged Side Smash should kill him at the ledge. At the same time, Mr. EE really mis-spaced his punish - Keitaro was about a step away from getting hit.
Okay yeah I saw what you were talking about. He panicked. Shield Breaker is the optimal punish because it is stronger than Fsmash. He had enough time to walk forward just a little bit and try SB again even if Keitaro was mashing like crazy. Me, I use SB because since I have C-stick Attack there is a chance that I could mess up my Fsmash with Ftilt.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Finally got a decent video of my Marth. Any comments would be nice. Never realised how many random whiffed attacks I throw out.

Last edited:

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
I just thought I would leave this here. Look at Neo's tech with Marth here, on point. I need to practice Perfect Pivot Dtilt after this.

Bube_Marth

Smash Cadet
Just researched some of the storys of Marth and Shiida, so I just had to do this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom