• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Anybody else find that he looked a bit weird in the CG portion of the trailer? Like... his face and hair looked off to me. Don't get me wrong, I love his character model, but something about the CG portion was strange to me.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I gotta say, the content of the direct that had Shulk in it was well thought out.

1. Reveal Shulk first off. People either get excited or don't know who he is.
  2. Showcase New 3DS, mention that Xenoblade 3DS port will be released for it.
  3. Rake in the dough from the people who were already going to buy the New 3DS as soon as they saw what it was and picking up Xeno 3DS along with it.
He looks like a neat character. I'll have to pick up a copy of the 3DS port when they actually release the N3DS outside of Japan. It's been too long since I got into a franchise because of Smash...

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
As a feminist, I find the rampant sexualization of both characters offensive.

As a bisexual, I find the rampant sexualization of both characters glorious and a dream come true :p

As a feminist, I'm not actually bothered by either since they have roots in their games' canon. I would actually be annoyed if they had invented a bikini outfit for Zamus out of the blue for no reason other than to provide fanservice, but they didn't. They used a canon outfit that compared to what other companies do is tame (and sporty). Same with Shulk and the Sleek Oil.

And to be honest, I have yet to see anyone really complain about Zamus having that alt even though I follow a lot of vocal feminist blogs on Tumblr. I did see some dudebros whining about Falcon's "bulge", though. I'm sure people have complained about both, but not as much as people claim.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
GUYS IT JUST HIT ME, IT'LL HIT ALL OF YOU SOON TOO.

SHULK, SHULK FROM XENOBLADE IS IN SMASH AND HE CAN FIGHT WITH LITERALLY THE BIGGEST ICONS IN GAMING, OH MY GOD MY HYPE JUST ROSE 983 LEVELS.

continuityOfficer

Smash Champion
GUYS IT JUST HIT ME, IT'LL HIT ALL OF YOU SOON TOO.

SHULK, SHULK FROM XENOBLADE IS IN SMASH AND HE CAN FIGHT WITH LITERALLY THE BIGGEST ICONS IN GAMING, OH MY GOD MY HYPE JUST ROSE 983 LEVELS.
The best bit is it means people will now know about Xenoblade, hunt it down because they liked Shulk in Smash, not to mention almost guaranteeing more games in future after X. This also solidifies Shulk as the Xenoblade Rep, similar to marth.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
The best bit is it means people will now know about Xenoblade, hunt it down because they liked Shulk in Smash, not to mention almost guaranteeing more games in future after X. This also solidifies Shulk as the Xenoblade Rep, similar to marth.
I really hope so. I would be upset if he got removed from the next game

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
I'm super late to the party, but WOOO! Shulk is in Smash! Of course, I was really expecting it anyways, given all the random hints dropped by Monolith and Sakurai. I think he offers some really interesting gameplay. I'm definitely going to main him along with Rosalina.
(you know, I really want
Fiora, after being possessed by Meyneth
in Smash. I definitely feel like her Drone arts could cover some interesting gameplay. But of course, she was the final Xenoblade Chronicles party member, so she's not very likely at all to appear. Also Reyn should definitely be an assist trophy at least.)

I take the stance that any Shulk fanservice is totally needed and therefore not sexist. Also, it's not bending his spine like those poor Samuses.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... it was an awesome trailer.

Love all the voice acting. (Well, Riki's English VA always bothered me, his child-like voice in Japanese fit the initial joke better when they introduced him.)

Seriously, watch the trailer in Japanese as well as English. Riki sounded so deep and gruff in English there, lol.

MechaWave

Smash Champion

...Indeed.

Really though, I feel like Shulk's head is a bit bigger in Smash. It looks a lot bigger in his official art, but I think that's just because his head's at an odd angle.
Lol, you can see the crease.

I pay too much attention to... detail.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles all day yesterday, and boy is that game AWESOME. There are a few very minor nitpicks i have (like not being able to swap characters without going through that stupid menu, making actual tactics a little more bland when not using chain attack, but the KI reacts decently so...) and that its (funny enough) easier to win using Sharla as "main" and letting the other two do their thing than actually playing Shulk X). Also having the game freeze whenever you open a chest or complete a mission is mildly annoying... Anyhow, I'm only on my way to colony 6 anyway...and noticed i could level up abilities like 2 minutes before that annoying boss on Gaur plains...and i was wondering why i had problems with the 5-6er mechon groups leading there :facepalm:

Oh well... off to more Xenoblade i go :awesome:

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
Have been playing Xenoblade Chronicles all day yesterday, and boy is that game AWESOME. There are a few very minor nitpicks i have (like not being able to swap characters without going through that stupid menu, making actual tactics a little more bland when not using chain attack, but the KI reacts decently so...) and that its (funny enough) easier to win using Sharla as "main" and letting the other two do their thing than actually playing Shulk X). Also having the game freeze whenever you open a chest or complete a mission is mildly annoying... Anyhow, I'm only on my way to colony 6 anyway...and noticed i could level up abilities like 2 minutes before that annoying boss on Gaur plains...and i was wondering why i had problems with the 5-6er mechon groups leading there :facepalm:

I'm curious, what levels are you? I'm a little ahead of you and i'm stuck on something.

Noiblade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
47keyblader
If you're talking about mr.Boss at the end of the mine, remember that you only need to hurt him about half way, and if you come in ready with a chain attack, you can basically defeat him right there with that.
Nah i'm talking about the part where Sharla re-meets the one guy. I'm pretty sure it's just because i'm bad at games in general

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I'm curious, what levels are you? I'm a little ahead of you and i'm stuck on something.
Only lvl 19/20. Just defeated Mr. Tentacles. Thing is it was extremely close, even though i try and pick up every sidequest i can possibly find along the way. And since Mr. Kidnapper is lvl 25 I'll propably be farming X)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
If we were to get a second Xenoblade rep in Smash 5 who do you think it would be?
I would say the most likely is Riki, due to Monolith wanting to push the Nopon as their mascot... then again, Riki is a final smash/assist trophy, so I guess that's out of the question. I love the idea of...
Mechon Fiora. I'd say we're suffering a lack of sexy robot chicks in Smash. She can be really balanced between the power of her smashes and specials, or can be customized as to which she should prioritize, just like with her armor in Xenoblade with either physical arts, or ether arts. And I don't think we have a dual knife wielding character yet. That's like 3 or 4 birds killed with one stone right there. And that's why she'll share her trailer with Duck Hunt Dog.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
propably because part of it was censored? Also it just displays a blank page if you click on it, so you might need to upload it with a different name.

I would say the most likely is Riki, due to Monolith wanting to push the Nopon as their mascot... then again, Riki is a final smash/assist trophy, so I guess that's out of the question. I love the idea of...
Mechon Fiora. I'd say we're suffering a lack of sexy robot chicks in Smash. She can be really balanced between the power of her smashes and specials, or can be customized as to which she should prioritize, just like with her armor in Xenoblade with either physical arts, or ether arts. And I don't think we have a dual knife wielding character yet. That's like 3 or 4 birds killed with one stone right there. And that's why she'll share her trailer with Duck Hunt Dog.
Thing is i think its more like one of Shulks taunts than an assist trophy... Ever heard an Assisttrophy speaking to a specific character? Or maybe there will be assists only specific characters can get, like the special items in Mario Kart Double Dash... That'd be pretty freaking awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
propably because part of it was censored? Also it just displays a blank page if you click on it, so you might need to upload it with a different name.
Ah, the characters name is Di.ckson, so that's probably why. Lame.

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
Seeing the newcomer banner of Shulk puts the biggest smile on my face. One thing I'm looking forward to are the tournaments that will be held. I'm imagining the pros taking Shulk into tournaments and showing everyone the power of the Monado completely obliterating everyone. (a tear rolls down my face)

thecharizardf8

Smash Cadet
Good luck.
You're going to need it.
ESPECIALLY if you want a copy under 40 Bucks.
I got mine for 120 dollars lol I thought I would regret getting it for that much but it was worth. I got it off of amazon cuz I didn't wanna go an an adventure lol but I feel the prices will go WAY down once the 3ds version come out

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I knew Ken was disappointed with how Marth played during the invitational and was actively looking for a new main. I thought Shulk might fit his style and so I checked his Twitter to see if he had anything to say about the reveal.

"ohh crap Shulk looks amazing i think im going to main him"

https://twitter.com/LiquidKen/status/505320084387422208

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I am just hear to stop by and cognates you guys on your character getting in! MAY ALL THE HYPE BE YOURS!

Also

What Stage is this? ^

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I'm super late to the party, but WOOO! Shulk is in Smash! Of course, I was really expecting it anyways, given all the random hints dropped by Monolith and Sakurai. I think he offers some really interesting gameplay. I'm definitely going to main him along with Rosalina.
(you know, I really want
Fiora, after being possessed by Meyneth
in Smash. I definitely feel like her Drone arts could cover some interesting gameplay. But of course, she was the final Xenoblade Chronicles party member, so she's not very likely at all to appear. Also Reyn should definitely be an assist trophy at least.)

I take the stance that any Shulk fanservice is totally needed and therefore not sexist. Also, it's not bending his spine like those poor Samuses.
In defense of the Samus posing, the lady is part Chozo and can regularly roll herself into a ball. Normal body limits don't really apply to her.

(Still think she should have some more muscle mass though, she's a warrior.)

Hong

The Strongest

Nice slippers.

Yeah, I'm a recent adopter, as well. Thankfully I picked it up well before he was revealed for Smash, just on the grounds I have heard nothing but praise. Also, Xenogears was really cool, so I couldn't help but look into a series that took up its name as a moniker even if it's not a sequel.

I think my biggest gripe is the quest system... Which is saying a lot, because I'm still having a lot of fun with that aspect and entering beautiful areas I may have otherwise missed. The game has its faults, but I am too lost in the ecstasy of sheer enjoyment for the eyes, ears and mind to fret.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Nice slippers.Yeah, I'm a recent adopter, as well. Thankfully I picked it up well before he was revealed for Smash, just on the grounds I have heard nothing but praise. Also, Xenogears was really cool, so I couldn't help but look into a series that took up its name as a moniker even if it's not a sequel.

I think my biggest gripe is the quest system... Which is saying a lot, because I'm still having a lot of fun with that aspect and entering beautiful areas I may have otherwise missed. The game has its faults, but I am too lost in the ecstasy of sheer enjoyment for the eyes, ears and mind to fret.
Everyone should skip the majority of quests on their first play through, in my opinion. The sheer amount of them can be over whelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom