• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Everyone should skip the majority of quests on their first play through, in my opinion. The sheer amount of them can be over whelming.
This is what I recommend to people playing the game for the first time. But for myself...
I can never stop myself from doing side-quests...
This. Just the sight of that exclamation mark will drive me to madness. I'll lose sleep if I walk away or ignore it.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I would get Xenoblade, but even used, that costs a pretty penny.
Seriously, I could buy a New 3DS XL AND SSB4 with that cash if I wanted to buy a fresh copy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's just amazing to see Shulk fight against the Fire Emblem crew and Link. I'm absolutely glad that he is getting this sort of treatment and I'm glad to see that they are pushing Xenoblade as their next big IP that they have.

I am curious as to how the staff at Monolith Soft (i.e. Tetsuya) feel about all this.
I bet that they feel ecstatic and honored that one of their creations and one of their games is going to be represented in one of the biggest fighting games of all-time.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
This is what I recommend to people playing the game for the first time. But for myself...
This. Just the sight of that exclamation mark will drive me to madness. I'll lose sleep if I walk away or ignore it.
I think you should be more worried about accepting quests and not being able to do them at all. Personally, having to see many of the "new" icons can drive me insane because well, they're not completed yet. XD

Hong

The Strongest
I think you should be more worried about accepting quests and not being able to do them at all. Personally, having to see many of the "new" icons can drive me insane because well, they're not completed yet. XD
I never play without a web browser handy. :054:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace

Nice slippers.Yeah, I'm a recent adopter, as well. Thankfully I picked it up well before he was revealed for Smash, just on the grounds I have heard nothing but praise. Also, Xenogears was really cool, so I couldn't help but look into a series that took up its name as a moniker even if it's not a sequel.

I think my biggest gripe is the quest system... Which is saying a lot, because I'm still having a lot of fun with that aspect and entering beautiful areas I may have otherwise missed. The game has its faults, but I am too lost in the ecstasy of sheer enjoyment for the eyes, ears and mind to fret.
My biggest gripe with the quests is, that while the initial description when picking them up is pretty decent, the description when you look it up is just lackluster, because it misses things like "can be found there, drops from those" etc. Also finding the monsters can be a chore, why do they say stuff like "kill monster x on bionis leg/gaur plains" instead of "kill monster x , just west from "input travel point here". Also could use some non mandatory caves and such for quests, but I don't think I'm far enough to judge whether or not those kinds of things will appear later on.

On another note, these unique mobs... I think i suck pretty hard, because I always come back after being 1-3 levels above said monster to kill it and avoid them otherwise...Maybe now with 3 party members i could win against some of the level of my characters, but traversing the cave with only Shulk and Reyn? No way I'm gonna beat those things...at least not without luck or exploits X)

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
I never play without a web browser handy. :054:
Yeah, expect your first playthrough to either be difficult because you ignore all the quests and then once the monsters get 5-7 levels above you, you can't handle them without proper planning and some luck. Or you'll be driven insane by not knowing where a specific npc is that gives you a quest, or you have to turn it in to them. Especially once you hit Alcamoth. That place is huge.

Hong

The Strongest
On another note, these unique mobs... I think i suck pretty hard, because I always come back after being 1-3 levels above said monster to kill it and avoid them otherwise...Maybe now with 3 party members i could win against some of the level of my characters, but traversing the cave with only Shulk and Reyn? No way I'm gonna beat those things...at least not without luck or exploits X)
There is nothing I haven't been able to overcome by taking a more defensive setup. Light Heal and Air Slash, as well as various Monado Arts, are great for helping to keep Reyn (and thus your party) alive. Max out Light Heal first IMO.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I would get Xenoblade, but even used, that costs a pretty penny.
Seriously, I could buy a New 3DS XL AND SSB4 with that cash if I wanted to buy a fresh copy.
Used copies are 50 bucks at Gamestop, and they aren't that rare anymore. Look up Gamestops in your area online and see if any have a copy available for in store pick up (they will NEVER have one for online purchase.)

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I'm trying to memorize the order of the Arts.
Jump, Speed, Shield, Buster, Smash...
Jump, Speed, Peanut, Butter, Smash.... wait, that's not it.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I'm trying to memorize the order of the Arts.
Jump, Speed, Peanut, Butter, Smash.... wait, that's not it.
I'm just glad that each one seems to make a different part of the body (except for the first two) to help remember which is which.

Jump- Legs (Edited after MooseSmuggler's help)
Speed- Feet
Shield- Body?
Buster- Monado?
Smash- Hands

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I'm just glad that each one seems to make a different part of the body (except for the first two) to help remember which is which.

Jump- Feet
Speed- Feet
Shield- Body?
Buster- Monado?
Smash- Hands
I think Jump is legs, not just feet.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
omg it's a Clarence reaction pic
*steals for future use*
In defense of the Samus posing, the lady is part Chozo and can regularly roll herself into a ball. Normal body limits don't really apply to her.

(Still think she should have some more muscle mass though, she's a warrior.)
Doesn't stop it from looking like it hurts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

...And here we have the Shulk, in his natural habitat

Out here, in Guar Plains, the Incrediblus Shulkus, better known by his abbreviated name Shulk, is the dominant predator in this land.

His prey of choice for today, the docile and peace keeping King Koopa. Koppa lives his day like any other, blissfully roaming the wide open plain, cheerfully interacting with a butterfly. The Shulk prepares his assault.

King Koopa seems to notice something, but can't seem to pinpoint the location of his unease, he turns his back to his homs-shaped demise, a moment's inattention......invites death. An invitation the Shulk will not send away.

*Back Slash!*

And in one swift blow, the Shulkus cuts down his foe in one clean blow, such power, such strength. Hold on, it seems the Shulk has noticed something

*I'm really feeling*

Oh my god, that was his death call and it was directed as us, we aren't safe here, we must go bac-OH GOD!

*CJ OK NL OK CDHK KH1 R F2F XN HBROWSE FH!!!!!!
Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

We've made it back to base unharmed, luck was on our side, as two other imposing predators caught Shulk's attention, giving us the much appreciated time we needed.

Although we can no longer bring you live footage of the Incrediblus Shulkus, we do have pre recorded footage of the Shulk's many forms of battle.

We see what seems to be his standard three-pronged attack along with side smash (confirmed in later footage), then a graceful back air, followed by up smash(indicated by the proper "twinkle" all smash attacks share) next he shows off his dizzing down smash, along with twinkle, immediately showing another upward attack, seemingly up-tilt as there is no familiar twinkle with it.

Next we move on to the Incrediblus Shulkus' unique animal trait, increasing and decreasing his physical attributes to match his surroundings and situations. All precise details of his traits can be found on Dr. Sakurai's Miiverse Report. However, we do see more of his attack patterns in this segment. Namely down tilt/crouch attack, into what his either his neutral or forward air (possible meteor smash capabilities?) And again his side smash (with the Monado on Smash, its reasonable to assume it is indeed his side smash.

Lastly, we move to what seems to be montage of his special attacks, being Air Slash for up-special, Back Slash for side-special, Counter for down special, and we can confirm switching his arts is infact his neutral-special.

We also catch a rare sight of the Shulkus shedding its skin, quite a rare sight.

Finally we see his Final Smash, which we presume is the fabled chain attack.

With that footage out of the way, we return on-site(at a safe distance, of course) to see Shulk facing off against
Some sort of Metal-Faced creature. We'll return when we aquire more footage and information.

Thank you and good night.
Man, this GameFAQs' topic is gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So, since Shulk was revealed on a Friday, we really can't use #MonadoMonday... unless we're talking about the day that the leaked videos surfaced (it was Monday, right?).

I did see someone on YouTube suggest #ForeseeableFriday which I think is hilarious for a number of reasons.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Although I didn't mention it
Can I just brag that I called Shulk being revealed that Friday?
He is quite popular in the Japans.
Humble Brag~

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Although I didn't mention it
Can I just brag that I called Shulk being revealed that Friday?
He is quite popular in the Japans.
Humble Brag~
it's always weird to hear about how popular Xenoblade actually is. Given how people talk about it, I took it as something of a cult classic.

So... Just a thought but, I wonder if any professional smasher out there is actually interested on Shulk....

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
So... Just a thought but, I wonder if any professional smasher out there is actually interested on Shulk....
I think @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D answered that question earlier:
I knew Ken was disappointed with how Marth played during the invitational and was actively looking for a new main. I thought Shulk might fit his style and so I checked his Twitter to see if he had anything to say about the reveal.

"ohh crap Shulk looks amazing i think im going to main him"

https://twitter.com/LiquidKen/status/505320084387422208

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Do it Nintendo i want an entire year dedicated to Xenoblade Chronicles. *throws money at screen*
with
Reyn's Mansion
Shulk and Reyn: Partners in Time
New Super Shulk U + Reyn DLC with Riki character
Super Princess Melia
Super Shulk 3D Bionis featuring FIORUH as a secret character
Dunban's Treasure Tracker
Juju Buggy
and more!

Last edited:

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
:link:
Juju and his buggy can always be additional Mario Kart 8 DLC, right guys?

. . . Anyways, I look forward developing Shulk's competitive meta-game with everyone, making my mark once again regionally, and then strive towards worldly (slash!) with Shulk come SSBIV. I don't care who else is going to use him.

Edit: Shulk also probably takes my vote for best Final Smash in the game (not talking about effectiveness).

Last edited:

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
with
Reyn's Mansion
Super Princess Melia
Juju Buggy
and more!
Also, Sharla is permanently stuck in spin-off hell. :troll:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
with
Reyn's Mansion
Super Princess Melia
Juju Buggy
and more!
Let's not forget:
Sharla Center: Second Heal Round
Riki the Heropon 3 and Reyn
Fiora Prime
(Can't think of one with Dunban, Dunban Hearts: Birth by Strife?)

Jje09

Smash Apprentice
So, do we know anything of other party members appearing in the chain attack?

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Let's not forget:
Sharla Center: Second Heal Round
Riki the Heropon 3 and Reyn
Fiora Prime
(Can't think of one with Dunban, Dunban Hearts: Birth by Strife?)
The Legend of Melia: A Dunban Between Worlds of Strife.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I've been playing with the Wii Remote and Nunchuck all this time, and heard you could use the Classic Controller. "Oh, great! This will be much better!"

Then I realized you can't move and switch arts at the same time. :054:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom