• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterwraith

Smash Cadet
I haven't played Xenoblade, but I have to say I really do admire the game and I'm glad Shulk made the cut with a unique gimmick and interesting moveset.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that Shulk's Final Smash is the same as Robin's.
I mean it makes sense for a character to call their allies for help, but they even both said "On my mark".

What's next?

Bowser Jr.: "Koopalings, on my mark!"

Or maybe,

Duck Hunt Dog: "Ducks, on my mark!"

yurikos

Smash Rookie
So who is stronger, Shulk or Robin?
In terms of raw power, that probably goes to Shulk.
In Fire Emblem Awakening, I think it was said that Grima was not technically a god because he did not possess the power to create worlds. However, Xenoblade's Zanza is a god who has destroyed and recreated his universe several times. Considering Robin and Shulk are vessels of each...
Also, the Monado is a sword that can warp the fabric of space and time according to Alvis, so it's ridiculously powerful.

However, Robin would excel in terms of intelligence and versatility. Shulk isn't a slouch in the smarts department either considering he's working as a research engineer near the start of Xenoblade, but Robin has the tactical experience of guiding an army during war. Robin can also adapt quickly to any situation because I think they can change into whatever classes and abilities they want in FEA.

In the end, it depends on your definition of "strong".

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
So who is stronger, Shulk or Robin?

depends when it come to power I think shulk but when it comes to outwitting a foe Robin would crush Shulk not that shulk is dumb but outwitting people is something Robin specializes at

VIIIAxel

Smash Rookie
I know I'm late to the party, but Shulk's in! I'm so excited! He looks really fun to play, and his trailer was awesome! I don't get the hate, it's definitely my favorite trailer (Which could be bias towards Shulk, but regardless, it was a fantastic trailer). I just wish that the leak hadn't spoiled it a few days early...

Also, when I first saw the PotD with Shulk, I thought it was an Assist Trophy. I got really scared for a moment.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Am I the only one that thinks it's weird that Shulk's Final Smash is the same as Robin's.
I mean it makes sense for a character to call their allies for help, but they even both said "On my mark".

What's next?

Or maybe,

It sounds like Dunban was the one who said "On my mark" to me.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
depends when it come to power I think shulk but when it comes to outwitting a foe Robin would crush Shulk not that shulk is dumb but outwitting people is something Robin specializes at
Shulk would get a vision of Robin's plan though. That would make him incredibly difficult to catch off guard, even with all the best planning in the world.

I think you'd need brute strength and use attrition to take Shulk down. (Even then I haven't finished Xenoblade so I'm not aware of Shulks full capabilities)

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Seriously though, I have a need for a Shulk widgit. :4shulk: :4shulk: :4shulk:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shulk would get a vision of Robin's plan though. That would make him incredibly difficult to catch off guard, even with all the best planning in the world.

I think you'd need brute strength and use attrition to take Shulk down. (Even then I haven't finished Xenoblade so I'm not aware of Shulks full capabilities)
How far in are you?

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I've actually been meaning to ask a question of you Xenoblade fans. I've unfortunately never gotten the chance to play the game myself (but I'm starting to watch a walkthrough of it on YouTube since I don't have a Wii on hand). There's always that debate about who is the most powerful Smash Bros character. My answer has always been Pit because of all of the feats that he's accomplished and weapons he has at his disposal. I know that in theory...
[collapse=Xenoblade Chronicles Ending Spoiler]Shulk essentially becomes a god[/collapse]
On top of that, he does have his foresight, so would he really give Pit a run for his money?

Also, concerning Robin and Shulk, I've never gotten the feeling that Robin is that superhuman. Yeah, he's as tactical as you can get, but he isn't a physical or magic brute in the store. True, his stats are outstanding, but that's probably only for gameplay reasons and we're not supposed to believe that Robin is superior to every soldier in Chrom's army. Robin can hold his own in battle, but I don't think he'll do very well against someone like Shulk who has near divine powers. In his battle with Grima, even with near maxed stats, he pales in comparison to the damage that Chrom can do with his divine weapon.

edit: I also don't mean to derail the thread with the question though- I'm just asking about Shulk specifically.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I've actually been meaning to ask a question of you Xenoblade fans. I've unfortunately never gotten the chance to play the game myself (but I'm starting to watch a walkthrough of it on YouTube since I don't have a Wii on hand). There's always that debate about who is the most powerful Smash Bros character. My answer has always been Pit because of all of the feats that he's accomplished and weapons he has at his disposal. I know that in theory...
[collapse=Xenoblade Chronicles Ending Spoiler]Shulk essentially becomes a god[/collapse]
On top of that, he does have his foresight, so would he really give Pit a run for his money?

Also, concerning Robin and Shulk, I've never gotten the feeling that Robin is that superhuman. Yeah, he's as tactical as you can get, but he isn't a physical or magic brute in the store. True, his stats are outstanding, but that's probably only for gameplay reasons and we're not supposed to believe that Robin is superior to every soldier in Chrom's army. Robin can hold his own in battle, but I don't think he'll do very well against someone like Shulk who has near divine powers. In his battle with Grima, even with near maxed stats, he pales in comparison to the damage that Chrom can do with his divine weapon.

edit: I also don't mean to derail the thread with the question though- I'm just asking about Shulk specifically.
Well in terms of Shulk, I think one thing people have to remember is that a lot of what Shulk can accomplish depends on his world. I don't want to get too techinical or spoilery, but assuming that ether is unique to the world of Xenoblade, Shulk's abilities in a way are only at their full potential when he is there. But, assuming that ether is just their word for the overall idea of magic (so for example we have to wonder, are Robin's magic attacks actually ether attacks, just under a different name?) then yes, I'd argue that Shulk is in fact the strongest character canonically.

As far as Robin goes, no he's not that strong individually, but I actually think his presumably genius level tactical mind would allow him to (after enough time) figure out a way to either win any fight or at the very least get out alive.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Anyone got some GIF's of Shulk's Trailer on hand?
I can't seem to find 'em...

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179

What's next?

Or maybe,

-Fox: Landmasters, on my mark!

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Here's a tiny Monado Arts gif:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom