• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I'm pretty sure Shulk is the 2nd most wanted character globally, since he's the most wanted newcomer in Japan and he's 3rd in the west I think. King K. Rool being first (very high requested in Japan, 2nd in the west) and then Mewtwo, as he is the most requested character (He's not a newcomer, so I am not contradicting myself) in Japan and does great in the west, or something. I wonder if Ridley is even in the Top 5, Japan doesn't care about him at all.
Yeah, that's true. I don't include Mewtwo mostly because 1. Hes a veteran and 2. almost everyone wants him, he has a pretty much untouchable 1st place on a list with both veterans and newcomers.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That's actually a weird thing to think about. If Shulk gets confirmed, who do I start worshipping to get into smash next?! To be fair I used to be one of the people hoping for Megaman
*whispers in your ear*

Isaac is love. Isaac is life.

Once Shulk is confirmed you're all welcome to come scratch your "gotta support someone" itch in the Isaac support thread.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
*whispers in your ear*

Once Shulk is confirmed you're all welcome to come scratch your "gotta support someone" itch in the Isaac support thread.
When Shulk is confirmed and Isaac isn't yet, I will come to the Isaac thread because he's my 2nd most wanted atm. Gotta love the Golden Sun series <3

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
*whispers in your ear*

I already want Isaac, so sure.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
*whispers in your ear*

no my will always go to pikablu

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I came for the Shulk only, no items, Final-Guar-Sea-Island Junks tournament. After Shulk gets unlocked (too badass too be a starter guise), it all begins. Prepare your bodies.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I was surprised no one said "REYN TIME!"

Look what I found in the comments section of todays PotD:
View attachment 19722
It made me laugh.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
We've already gone over this multiple times: Nintendo doesn't have an specific artstyle, and still: Everything can fit into Smash: Captain Falcon and Samus contrast the style of Pikachu and Mario, yet no one would say they just don't fit. Especially with the new Sm4sh style where everything looks a lot brighter.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I came for the Shulk only, no items, Final-Guar-Sea-Island Junks tournament. After Shulk gets unlocked (too badass too be a starter guise), it all begins. Prepare your bodies.
Oh trust me, my body is prepared.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
my bodies been ready since robin the first newcomer I actually really wanted in got in I don't know if I can handle the hype fo shulk hold me ;u;

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So @ Hokori Hokori , what do you think about Shulk's chances right now? You haven't been here in a while.

DarkRyu

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoungChief
3DS FC
4098-2758-3357
I think the only character other than Shulk that I actually really want is a Sin and Punishment character, I really love those games. But, sadly Saki was put in as an assist again, only chance of them getting a rep would be if Sakurai was a big fan of the games too.

My dream is Shulk and Isa Jo having a character reveal trailer together

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Since Sakurai said himself they're running out of trailers, me and my friend were talking and were like "What do you think he'll do for the final trailer? like, there's no way there won't be some kind of FINALE or something"

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I think the only character other than Shulk that I actually really want is a Sin and Punishment character, I really love those games. But, sadly Saki was put in as an assist again, only chance of them getting a rep would be if Sakurai was a big fan of the games too.

My dream is Shulk and Isa Jo having a character reveal trailer together
Unfortunately, unless something unexpected happens Isa wont be a playable character. The Sin and Punishment series doesn't have a unique 'symbol' this time around. :(

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
*whispers in your ear*

I was planning on it. There's actually a lot of cross over between the two characters fan bases, it's sad that they've been pitted against each other so much.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
If you keep your body too prepared, you may spontaneously combust from too much hype. Do some Deep Breathing with Wii Fit Trainer, and when the time is right, release your hype onto the battlefield. Soon enough, the world will know know our names as we engage the enemy. Those we get in our way on Guar Plain will sadly perish.

At least they'll have wonderful funeral music:

So @ Hokori Hokori , what do you think about Shulk's chances right now? You haven't been here in a while.
Yeah, I know. I've been taking a break from specific character socials, but it's all good because I'm back now.

As for Shulk's chances, they're still very high imo. Not just because he was featured on the Gematsu leak (you know, when people still strongly regarded it as prophetic/The Word), or because of Monolith's RTs, but because he comes from one of the best games ever to land on a Nintendo platform. I'm almost positive that Sakurai wouldn't pass up on the opportunity to represent Xenoblade. I would say that the odds are 100%, but I' won't be so absolute. Let's go with 99.9% positive instead.

Out of the big-name characters left, I'd say that Shulk easily has the highest chance of making it into Smash.

Last edited:

Dunban

Smash Journeyman
I've never really thought about the roster without Shulk, but when I actually take it into consideration i'm really impartial to it... I mean, some of the newcomers i'll definitely pick up (Little Mac) but my main, Lucas, is yet to be announced so at the moment i'm currently without a main. Obviously Shulk would take over that role but that's assuming that he makes it in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm content as long as I get Shulky-boy. Every other character I want is either disconfirmed or unlikely.
I'm fine as long as I get Shulk. I want Bandana Dee and King K. Rool, but I'm bracing myself that they might not get in.
Besides, I feel complete having both Shulk and Little Mac in the game as well as nice bonuses like Robin, Mega Man, and Villager.

Look what I found in the comments section of todays PotD:
View attachment 19722
It made me laugh.
*insert Miqol's laugh here*
Wow! That's pretty pathetic!

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Since Sakurai said himself they're running out of trailers, me and my friend were talking and were like "What do you think he'll do for the final trailer? like, there's no way there won't be some kind of FINALE or something"
Final as in Final destination final destination has a blue and red side on them people believe is based on Soulcaliber, Soul caliber is a blue crystal sword, Xenoblade has blade in it's name, the blade is the Monado wield by Shulk SHULKS CONFIRMED GUYS GET HYPED! :drflip:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I already got Robin, and I'm very confident in Shulk's chances, so at the end of the day, I know I'll be thrilled with the final roster no matter the outcome. All I'm really waiting for now is Ganondorf, remaining Star Fox characters and Shulk's trailer...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
What do you guys think of the argument "Shulk doesn't feel enough like Nintendo"? How would you even determine how "Nintendo" something is?
Like the others have said, a lot of people know Nintendo's games for their cartoony art style and cutesy characters, when in reality, they have a diverse set of characters appearance-wise. Just scrolling down the Smash Bros. website, Nintendo's characters really are diverse.

But man, after Takamaru being deconfirmed, I'm kind of scared for Shulk and the others now. If he's not in, then I'm really worried about the fate of Xenoblade X. The ambition, production values, graphics, sound, localization, and marketing combined makes it seem like it's the most expensive title Nintendo has ever produced, and they shouldn't miss that opportunity by putting Shulk in. Because let's be honest: Super Smash Bros. really is the best commercial for Nintendo's franchises.

Basically, if Shulk is not in, then Xenoblade X will flop, unless Nintendo spends more money on marketing and promotion, which most likely doubles the cost significantly. Worst case scenario, Monolith Soft will be sold to another company or maybe even become a Mario spin-off developer since Xenoblade X didn't sell. >_<

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, I know. I've been taking a break from specific character socials, but it's all good because I'm back now.

As for Shulk's chances, they're still very high imo. Not just because he was featured on the Gematsu leak (you know, when people still strongly regarded it as prophetic/The Word), or because of Monolith's RTs, but because he comes from one of the best games ever to land on a Nintendo platform. I'm almost positive that Sakurai wouldn't pass up on the opportunity to represent Xenoblade. I would say that the odds are 100%, but I' won't be so absolute. Let's go with 99.9% positive instead.

Out of the big-name characters left, I'd say that Shulk easily has the highest chance of making it into Smash.
Good to hear that you're back! And your opinion on his chances are pretty much the general consensus here by now. Shulk is definitely one of the most likely to make it.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
I understand why people want Shulk--I mean, we've got almost 300 pages of Shulk support--but I don't understand why people want Ridley. I don't understand how he could even make in. There's no real evidence save Sakurai's teasing.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
What do you guys think of the argument "Shulk doesn't feel enough like Nintendo"? How would you even determine how "Nintendo" something is?
That's stupid who come up with this garbage, how is he not Nintendo enough he first party.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Like the others have said, a lot of people know Nintendo's games for their cartoony art style and cutesy characters, when in reality, they have a diverse set of characters appearance-wise. Just scrolling down the Smash Bros. website, Nintendo's characters really are diverse.

But man, after Takamaru being deconfirmed, I'm kind of scared for Shulk and the others now. If he's not in, then I'm really worried about the fate of Xenoblade X. The ambition, production values, graphics, sound, localization, and marketing combined makes it seem like it's the most expensive title Nintendo has ever produced, and they shouldn't miss that opportunity by putting Shulk in. Because let's be honest: Super Smash Bros. really is the best commercial for Nintendo's franchises.

Basically, if Shulk is not in, then Xenoblade X will flop, unless Nintendo spends more money on marketing and promotion, which most likely doubles the cost significantly. Worst case scenario, Monolith Soft will be sold to another company or maybe even become a Mario spin-off developer since Xenoblade X didn't sell. >_<
I don't think Xenoblade X will flop, considering the first one was much more of a hit than Nintendo was expecting. But yeah, considering all the effort Nintendo seems to be putting into Xenoblade X, they'd be stupid to not use Shulk to advertise it.

D

Deleted member

That's an argument now? People are really making terrible excuses against Shulk nowadays. >_>

I don't think that Xenoblade X will be a massive flop; Xenoblade did better than expected after all. However, Shulk getting in Smash is a major thing that Xenoblade and Monolith need and X will get more sales thanks to Shulk in Smash.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
Miiverse show it intelligence again, I wish that Nintendo will close Miiverse it's not helping them and it's just another platform for people to share their ignorance.
It's just the Smash community that is that terrible. Miiverse can be pretty cool to share your screenshots or accomplishments directly with others or to ask others for help. Also, the Miiverse art the people make is really cool.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Miiverse show it intelligence again, I wish that Nintendo will close Miiverse it's not helping them and it's just another platform for people to share their ignorance.
The main problem is the Smash Bros. Community. Almost every other community is no different from any other large forum/social network. I'm hoping that once Smash Bros 4 comes out that the general Smash Bros community will be closed. Hopefully that will help bring an end to Miiverse's less than favorable image among the rest of the rest of the internet.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
I don't think Xenoblade X will flop, considering the first one was much more of a hit than Nintendo was expecting. But yeah, considering all the effort Nintendo seems to be putting into Xenoblade X, they'd be stupid to not use Shulk to advertise it.
I don't think that Xenoblade X will be a massive flop; Xenoblade did better than expected after all. However, Shulk getting in Smash is a major thing that Xenoblade and Monolith need and X will get more sales thanks to Shulk in Smash.
Yeah, I just exaggerated on that part to get my point across. :p

But the budget for Xenoblade X seems very, very high. JRPGs are usually expensive to develop due to localization, and some AAA games today manage to hit more than a million copies sold but are not enough to make a profit for the publisher. I just hope that if Xenoblade X does reach a million, it's enough for Nintendo to consider more sequels.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I think once you dedicate yourself to Smash character speculation you have to accept the fact that not everyone you want is gonna make it in. Saki, Wonder Red, Midna and Sami are all characters I really want but don't have a chance, Snake is probably not coming back ('sigh'...) and no matter what anyone tells me I still think K Rool is a long shot. But still I've gotten just as many characters that I wanted like Mega Man, Little Mac, Rosalina, Robin and Palutena. And I also got characters I never thought I'd be so excited for like WFT and Pac Man. If I get Shulk I really don't need anything else when it comes to newcomers (though I love the idea of a Rhythm Heaven character).

Also, people let's stop comparing Shulk and Takamaru because they're in two completely different situations. Takamaru was in one game almost 30 years ago (which goes against the trend of newcomers this time around being from more recent games) and a couple cameo appearances. The only thing going for him was that his game was being rereleased on the VC, which I always felt was a weak argument for a character's inclusion, and Takamaru being a AT proves that. Meanwhile Shulk is one of the most requested newcomers in the world, is fairly recent, had a brand new high budget sequel coming out and Sakurai is friends with the developers and worked with them in the past. Not to mention all the tweets. Shulk could still end up being a AT *shudders* but like I said before Takamaru being a AT doesn't hurt Shulk's chances, in fact it helps him because that's one less character in Shulk's way. I know after Monado Monday everyone I a bit more cautious, but let's just relax.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Fire emblem says hello is my argument against that.
I think Shulk feels as "Nintendo" as any of the Fire Emblem characters.

:4greninja:'d
That would imply that Shulk = Marth in "Nintendosity", wich is wrong.
Colorfoul, Cartoonish, Childish... That is a subjective opinion of Nintendo, an important part of Nintendo may look like that. But Nintendo Universe is diversity, containing games and series that are really different among them.
Shulk is a Nintendo character. Shulk does not feels as Nintendo as Marth is something wrong, the correct sentence:
Shulk IS not as Nintendo as Marth. Despite one of the users in this thread constantly writing unfounded opinions about Fire Emblem (Solfiner). Xenoblade far from being in the same cathegory than Fire Emblem, Because Fire Emblem is a well established, really old, that has a lot of relevancy today, Nintendo franchise.

With that being said, questioning Shulk if fits in SSB or not is dumb, because anything from Nintendo fits in SSB and Shulk is from Nintendo.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That would imply that Shulk = Marth in "Nintendosity", wich is wrong.
Colorfoul, Cartoonish, Childish... That is a subjective opinion of Nintendo, an important part of Nintendo may look like that. But Nintendo Universe is diversity, containing games and series that are really different among them.
Shulk is a Nintendo character. Shulk does not feels as Nintendo as Marth is something wrong, the correct sentence:
Shulk IS not as Nintendo as Marth. Despite one of the users in this thread constantly writing unfounded opinions about Fire Emblem (Solfiner). Xenoblade far from being in the same cathegory than Fire Emblem, Because Fire Emblem is a well established, really old, that has a lot of relevancy today, Nintendo franchise.

With that being said, questioning Shulk if fits in SSB or not is dumb, because anything from Nintendo fits in SSB and Shulk is from Nintendo.
Way to cherry pick just me there buddy. A lot of other people here agree with what I said, because the argument is true in the context that I used it. When people say that Shulk isn't "Nintendo" enough, they just mean his appearance, which they think is "Anime-ish", just like Fire emblem characters. If you ask ANYONE on the street what a Nintendo character is, they say Mario, Donkey Kong, Link etc, not a character from Fire emblem. Everything that is Nintendo, is of course Nintendo. Fire emblem is Nintendo, Xenoblade is Nintendo.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Way to cherry pick just me there buddy. A lot of other people here agree with what I said, because the argument is true in the context that I used it. When people say that Shulk isn't "Nintendo" enough, they just mean his appearance, which they think is "Anime-ish", just like Fire emblem characters. If you ask ANYONE on the street what a Nintendo character is, they say Mario, Donkey Kong, Link etc, not a character from Fire emblem. Everything that is Nintendo, is of course Nintendo. Fire emblem is Nintendo, Xenoblade is Nintendo.
Im not the one saying that Fire Emblem is not Nintendo enough. Like you did.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Im not the one saying that Fire Emblem is not Nintendo enough. Like you did.
When did I ever say that? Now you're just putting words in my mouth. My argument is that if Shulk is too "Anime-ish" for Smash, then what about the Fire emblem characters? THEY obviously aren't too "anime" since we have 4 of them. This is only about the designs. Also, that Marth is "more Nintendo" is not a fact. They are both first-parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom