• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
With all of this talk about hidden meanings and conspiracy theories someone needs to edit Shulk in the grassy knoll.
Shulk clearly appears for a split second in the smoke in the Robin trailer.

You can't see him, but he's there.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Shulk clearly appears for a split second in the smoke in the Robin trailer.

You can't see him, but he's there.
When the smoke cleared and he saw Captain Falcon he was like "LOLNOPE" and Robin took his place. He can attack from two squares away after all.

Groose

Smash Champion
I hereby bring to you:

Shulk, Ace Attorney!

Feel free to use this in arguments against Shulk detractors.
I also know that @ Groose Groose likes doing Phoenix Wright posts, so if you ever feel like using this, go right ahead.
But credit would be appreciated
Awesome. I may just use that in the very near future, and I'll try to remember to give credit to you.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
plot twist every reveal so far has actually been a vision and shulk ends up appearing in end of them to kick ass in his trailer

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
Well, looks like the RTC thread is currently rating Shulk alongside the Chorus Men and the Gematsu Leak being legitimate.
Go nuts. But not too nuts. I'm allergic.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Well, looks like the RTC thread is currently rating Shulk alongside the Chorus Men and the Gematsu Leak being legitimate.
Go nuts. But not too nuts. I'm allergic.
Done. Would have said more, but I'm on my phone and tired. I'll check in after the results are in.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
9PM.

Almost nobody in the thread.

Sitting on my laptop.

Let's party.

D

Deleted member

Brawler pretty much nailed it with Shulk.
Nice job by the way @Brawler610
Thanks! I've worked on that for a long time and it's still being worked on as new information comes on by.
I just wish that I could find that link that says that Xenoblade Chronicles is a first party IP... I couldn't find it in here.

9PM.

Almost nobody in the thread.

Sitting on my laptop.

Let's party.

I would totally buy Heropon Chronicles.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Thanks! I've worked on that for a long time and it's still being worked on as new information comes on by.
I just wish that I could find that link that says that Xenoblade Chronicles is a first party IP... I couldn't find it in here.

Cue game where every single character is a Nopon that lives on Noponis and they all have to fight the robotic Mechponis and the main character is the Heropon who uses the Ponado.

Last edited:

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
Cue game where every single character is a Nopon that lives on Noponis and they all have to fight the robotic Mechponis and the main character is the Heropon who uses the Noponado.
"Noponis"
"NOPONIS"
"NOPONIS INTENSIFIES"
Welp, I can sleep satisfied now. Night everyone.

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390

Do you mean the one where even the government says Nintendo owns Monolithsoft? If so, I got it bookmarked. :upsidedown: ...And I got to have at least 10 posts to post a link. Why do the gods test me like this

D

Deleted member

Don't fret. It is 100% 1st-party, as Monolithsoft is now owned by Nintendo.
I know that!
Though, not many people know that. Some of the uninformed think that he is either a 2nd party character like Marth or a 3rd party character. I wish that I could have a link to that document that someone linked for future use.

Do you mean the one where even the government says Nintendo owns Monolithsoft? If so, I got it bookmarked. :upsidedown: ...And I got to have at least 10 posts to post a link. Why do the gods test me like this
Yeah, and by extension them owning the IP to Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Quick! Post something now! We'll cover you so you don't double post!

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Actually, let me help you with that.

I've been watching several Xenoblade Chronicles X videos (which is in the same series so I guess it applies.)
At the end of the Story Trailer E3 2014 is this screen.

Which means, I think, that in the VERY LEAST, it is co-owned by both Nintendo and MONOLITHSOFT.

With that said, in the Nintendo's 74rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, a list of subsidiaries was submitted, and this was listed:

Name: Monolith Software, Ltd. (was Inc.)
Region: Japan (Tokyo)
Capital (in millions): ¥75
Corporate role: Development
Ownership percentage: 97

So I guess that's that. :)

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
I know that!
Though, not many people know that. Some of the uninformed think that he is either a 2nd party character like Marth or a 3rd party character. I wish that I could have a link to that document that someone linked for future use.

Yeah, and by extension them owning the IP to Xenoblade Chronicles.
Alright I got it! Here it is, my friend: http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=77749675&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

I'd like to thank @ Bosspon Bosspon to make this possible. The endeavour has been fruitful.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I just finished writing mine revised moveset. This time, it has a lot more canon material. I tried to make it serious and quirky at the same time. It is still in its rough draft status, though, so things in it are subject to change. Just a heads-up, it does contain some spoilers. Anyhow, here it is:

[collapse="Shulk moveset"]
Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab Attacks
7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary

Shulk is the ultimate glass cannon. Just like in his game, he has very low defence, but makes up for it with swift and powerful attacks. As a two-handed sword wielder, Shulk's moveset consist mainly of strong, single strikes meant to "punish" opponents. He can kill opponents quite easily once their damage is high enough, but he himself can be sent flying at fairly low percentages. He also has access to his Talent Gauge, which, when full, grants him access to a large array of powerful moves. The Talent Gauge can be filled up by either hitting opponents with regular attacks, or using his Standard Special, Battle Soul.​

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

Jab 1: With both hands, Shulk performs a swift horizontal slash of his sword.
Jab 2: With both hands, Shulk follows up with a swift and strong descending vertical slash of his sword that knocks the opponent well out of arm's reach.

Dash Attack: Shulk jumps forward and brings his sword to the ground with a two-handed vertial slash that sends the opponent flying a medium distance. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which an enraged Shulk charges at Metal Face after Metal Face taunts him.)

2). Tilts Attacks:

Note: All of Shulk's tilts can be jab-cancelled into.

Forward Tilt (Stream Edge): Shulk steps backward whilst drawing his sword back, gathering momentum, then performs a strong horizontal slash that covers a long distance. If the opponent is on the ground, this move does not deal much knockback, but it does lots of damage and has a high chance of tripping the opponent. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be sent flying or even KO'ed, depending on their damage percentage. Slow startup.

Upward Tilt: Shulk swiftly swing his sword above him in an arc, sending any nearby opponent flying upward a short distance. Bluntly put, this is a weaker, but faster version of Ike's up-smash. Quick startup.

Downward Tilt (Slit Edge): Shulk draws his sword close to his body with both hands, then performs a powerful thrust that pushes the opponent away. Very slightly slow startup.

3). Smash Attacks:

Note: All of Shulk's smashes can be jab-cancelled into.

Forward Smash (Back Slash): Shulk raises his sword whilst leaping in the air, then brings his sword down on the opponent with bone-breaking force, sending the opponent flying. Very slightly slow startup. Can kill at high percentages. This move will do twice the damage and knockback if it hits the opponent from behind.

Upward Smash (Lacerate): With both hands, Shulk leaps into the air whilst performing a swift and strong Shoryuken-like vertical slash that sends the opponent in front of him flying straight upwards. Quick startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his childhood friend and love interest, Fiora.)

Downward Smash (Shaker Edge): Shulk slowly spins around whilst raising his sword, then brings his sword down onto the opponent with bone-breaking force. Slow startup. This move does not knock the opponent very far, but does lots of damage. If the opponent is sitting down (due to being tripped), lying down, or asleep when this attack hits, he or she will be dazed for several seconds.

4). Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial (Air Fang): With both hands, Shulk performs a swift rising vertical slash, then brings his sword down in a powerful descending vertical slash, sending the opponent flying away. Quick startup. Shulk's second slash has a very slight starting lag. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his teammate and girlfriend Fiora.)

Forward Aerial (Air Slash): Shulk performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Similar to Jigglypuff's Pound, whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat.

Backward Aerial (Reverse Air Slash): Shulk turns around and performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat. Just like Marth's backward aerial in Brawl, this move will cause Shulk to switch directions.

Upward Aerial (Roly Poly): With both hands, Shulk twirls his sword above his head twice, like a helicopter. This move has multiple hitboxes that knock opponents away. If the opponent is directly above Shulk, he/she will be knocked straight upward. If the opponent is more to the side, he/she will be knocked diagonally upward. Very slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his tiny companion Riki.)

Downward Aerial: Shulk raises his sword over his head whilst arching his back, then plummets downward a medium distance whilst performing a strong descending two-handed strike with his sword, spiking the opponent. If the opponent is on the ground, he/she will be sent flying upward. Slightly slow startup. Can kill at medium-high percentages. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which Shulk first wields the Monado.)

5). Special Attacks:

Standard Special (Battle Soul/Monado Art): Just like in his game, Shulk's moveset features a Talent Gauge. Depending on whether or not it is full, Shulk can use one of two standard specials: Monado Art and Battle Soul. If Shulk's talent gauge is not full, he can use Battle Soul to fill 50% of it--but as a price, his damage percentage increases. Once his talent gauge is full, he will be able to use Monado Art, which will allow him to use one of eight powerful moves (see below). A high-risk, high-reward move.

[collapse="Monado Arts"]• Monado Buster: Shulk extends the blade of his sword, then performs a strong vertical slash that sends the opponent(s) flying. Extremely powerful, covers a wide range, and can kill at less than 50% damage, but very slow startup.

• Monado Enchant: A power-up move that will temporarily increase the amount of damage and knockback dealt by Shulk's moves.

• Monado Shield: Shulk encases himself in an orange force field that will render all enemy Special Attacks ineffective.

• Monado Speed: Shulk conjures an aura around him that temporarily increases his evasiveness. Unless he is in the air or performing an attack, all enemy attacks will slip right through Shulk. The duration of his spot dodge and air dodge is also increased, and his dodge roll will be faster.

• Monado Purge: Shulk leaps into the air, then swings his sword upward at a vertical angle, conjuring a green wave of energy that temporarily stuns the opponent. Very slightly slow startup.

• Monado Eater: Shulk pulls back his Monado, holding it like a spear--at the same time, it glows with a dark blue aura. Shulk then unleashes a blast of dark energy that covers a wide range in front of him. Said blast knocks enemies away and encroaches them in a dark aura that repeatedly damages them.

• Monado Armour: A power-up move that will temporarily reduce the amount of damage Shulk receives from attacks. He will also not flinch in the slightest.

• Monado Cyclone: Shulk leaps into the air whilst raising his sword, then conjures around him a field of energy that damages surrounding opponents whilst sending them falling on their butt. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be spiked. Slightly slow startup.[/collapse]

Side Special (War Swing): Shulk spreads his feet and firmly grips his Monado with both hands, holding it horizontally, then enters a spin that starts off slow and weak, but increases in speed and power the longer he is in motion. The move repeatedly damages opponents whilst keeping them pulled in. Slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his partner Reyn. The reason I chose this move was because in cutscenes, Shulk often spins around when performing a Monado art, so I thought this would reflect upon that. I originally planned for this move to be Blossom Dance, a timing-based four-hit combo used by Dunban, but in the end found it to be too similar to Marth and Lucina's side special, Dancing Blade.)

Upward Special (Soaring Tempest): Shulk leaps into the air a short distance whilst performing a spinning slash that repeatedly damages opponents. Said opponents are caught up in the attack like a tornado, then are sent flying by a final blow. Quick startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his elder teammate Dunban. Since Dunban is somewhat of a mentor to Shulk, I found this move to be rather fitting. Plus, it was the only art I could think of that would be a decent and unique recovery move.)

Downward Special (Shadow Eye): Shulk crouches, ninja-like. At the same time, there is a brief glint in his eye. If the player presses the special button again, Shulk will disappear. If an opponent attacks Shulk whilst he is crouching, he will automatically disappear. Shulk will then instantly reappear either in the same spot at which he disappeared, or in the direction in which the player holds the control stick. This move is very similar to Meta-Knight's downward special in Brawl, except Shulk does not attack upon reappearing. It also travels slightly further. Quick startup. Can be used as a recovery move. After Shulk uses this move, his next attack will deal increased damage and knockback.

6). Grab Attacks:

Grab: Shulk's sword may have a long reach, but his hands don't. Compared to other characters, Shulk has to be rather close to the opponent to grab them. Once he has them, though, he can do some pretty gruesome things to them.

Pummel: Shulk knees the opponent.

Forward Throw (Electric Gutbuster): Shulk sends the opponent away with a mighty kick to the gut. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his elder teammate Dunban.)

Backward Throw (Starlight Kick): Shulk whirls around, bringing the opponent with him, then sends the opponent flying away with a side push-kick. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his teammate and secret admirer Melia.)

Upward Throw (Bone Upper): Shulk sends the opponent flying upwards with a powerful uppercut. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his partner Reyn.)

Downward Throw (Hammer Beat): Shulk drops the opponent to the ground, slowly raises his sword with one hand, standing on one leg, then brings his sword down on the opponent with bone-breaking force, sending the opponent flying. Can kill medium-high percentages. (Author's Note: This move is also not used by Shulk in his game, but by Reyn.)

7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.:

Up-Taunt: Shulk holds the Monado in front of him, pointing straight upwards, one hand on the hilt, the other on the edge. At the same time, he is surrounded by a glowing, windy aura. Meanwhile, he says, "I can feel the power!" (Author's Note: I could really see this becoming a popular meme amongst Smash players.)

Side-Taunt: With both hands, Shulk holds the Monado close to his head, pointing forward. At the same time, the hole near the hilt emits an incandescent glow. Meanwhile, he says, "Behold the power of the Monado!"

Down-Taunt: Shulk does a fist pump with his free hand. At the same time, he says, "I can definitely do this!"

Victory Pose 1: Shulk deactivates his Monado and hangs it on his back. Then, looking at the screen with his body turned to the side, says, "You never stood a chance."

Victory Pose 2: With Monado in hand, Shulk triumphantly raises his free hand in the air. At the same time, he says, "I need to be even stronger!"

Victory Pose 3: Shulk causally swings his Monado, then with light fist pump says, "Piece of cake!"

Idle Pose 1: Shulk puts away his Monado and briefly stands erect, one arm across his chest, the other propped up by the elbow, his chin resting on his hand. At the same time, he lightly taps his foot.

Idle Pose 2: Shulk briefly stands erect, tapping the tips of his shoes.

On-stage appearance (when the match begins): Shulk materialises from a floating, holographic map, readies his sword, then says confidently (but not arrograntly), "I can't lose!" (Author's Note: This derives from how you can immediately jump to any location you want in Xenoblade Chronicles via the map menu. Unfortunately for me, I did not discover this option until WAY later on in the game.)

8). Final Smash:

Final Smash (Chain Attack): The camera zooms in on Shulk--at the same time, he says, "Time for a Chain Attack!", then with one hand performs a swift horizontal slash that covers a long distance. If the blow connects, Shulk's six companions--Fiora, Reyn, Sharla, Dunban, Melia, and Riki--will appear around him and the opponent(s). At the same time, Shulk shouts, "Everyone, let's go!" The team then proceeds to bombard the opponent(s) with sword slashes, shield and club bashes, gun shots, and magickal attacks, all the while exchanging comical battlefield chatter. After several seconds of hacking and thrashing, the team will end the assault with a final, simultaneous group attack, KO'ing the opponent(s). (Author's Note: I originally planned for this move to be "True Monado", but in the end thought this would be more interesting and funny. I will admit, it was partially inspired by Robin's Final Smash, though I thought of Chain Attack long before Robin's reveal.)
[/collapse]

[EDIT] Fixed some minor spelling errors and typos.

Last edited:

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
I just finished writing mine revised moveset. This time, it has a lot more canon material. I tried to make it serious and quirky at the same time. It is still in its rough draft status, though, so things in it are subject to change. Just a heads-up, it does contain some spoilers. Anyhow, here it is:

Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab Attacks
7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary

Shulk is the ultimate glass cannon. Just like in his game, he has very low defence, but makes up for it with swift and powerful attacks. As a two-handed sword wielder, Shulk's moveset consist mainly of strong, single strikes meant to "punish" opponents. He can kill opponents quite easily once their damage is high enough, but he himself can be sent flying at fairly low percentages. He also has access to his Talent Gauge, which, when full, grants him access to a large array of powerful moves. The Talent Gauge can be filled up by either hitting opponents with regular attacks, or using his Standard Special, Battle Soul.​

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

Jab 2: With both hands, Shulk follows up with a swift and strong descending vertical slash of his sword that knocks the opponent well out of arm's reach.

Dash Attack: Shulk jumps forward and brings his sword to the ground with a two-handed vertial slash that sends the opponent flying a medium distance. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which an enraged Shulk charges at Metal Face after Metal Face taunts him.)

2). Tilts Attacks:

Forward Tilt (Stream Edge): Shulk steps backward whilst drawing his sword back, gathering momentum, then performs a strong horizontal slash that covers a long distance. If the opponent is on the ground, this move does not deal much knockback, but it does lots of damage and has a high chance of tripping the opponent. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be sent flying or even KO'ed, depending on their damage percentage. Slow startup.

Upward Tilt: Shulk swiftly swing his sword above him in an arc, sending any nearby opponent flying upward a short distance. Bluntly put, this is a weaker, but faster version of Ike's up-smash. Quick startup.

Downward Tilt (Slit Edge): Shulk draws his sword close to his body with both hands, then performs a powerful thrust that pushes the opponent away. Very slightly slow startup.

3). Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash (Back Slash): Shulk raises his sword whilst leaping in the air, then brings his sword down on the opponent with bone-breaking force, sending the opponent flying. Very slightly slow startup. Can kill at high percentages. This move will do twice the damage and knockback if it hits the opponent from behind.

Upward Smash (Lacerate): With both hands, Shulk leaps into the air whilst performing a swift and strong Shoryuken-like vertical slash that sends the opponent in front of him flying straight upwards. Quick startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his childhood friend and love interest, Fiora.)

Downward Smash (Shaker Edge): Shulk slowly spins around whilst raising his sword, then brings his sword down onto the opponent with bone-breaking force. Slow startup. This move does not knock the opponent very far, but does lots of damage. If the opponent is sitting down (due to being tripped), lying down, or asleep when this attack hits, he or she will be dazed for several seconds.

4). Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial (Air Fang): With both hands, Shulk performs a swift rising vertical slash, then brings his sword down in a powerful descending vertical slash, sending the opponent flying away. Quick startup. Shulk's second slash has a very slight starting lag. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his teammate and girlfriend Fiora.)

Forward Aerial (Air Slash): Shulk performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Similar to Jigglypuff's Pound, whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat.

Backward Aerial (Reverse Air Slash): Shulk turns around and performs a swift rising vertical slash of his sword. Very slightly slow startup. Whilst Shulk is using this move, he will be kept afloat. Just like Marth's backward aerial in Brawl, this move will cause Shulk to switch directions.
Upward Aerial (Roly Poly): With both hands, Shulk twirls his sword above his head twice, like a helicopter. This move has multiple hitboxes that knock opponents away. If the opponent is directly above Shulk, he/she will be knocked straight upward. If the opponent is more to the side, he/she will be knocked diagonally upward. Very slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his tiny companion Riki.)

Downward Aerial: Shulk raises his sword over his head whilst arching his back, then plummets downward a medium distance whilst performing a strong descending two-handing strike with his sword, spiking the opponent. If the opponent is on the ground, he/she will be sent flying upward. Slightly slow startup. Can kill at medium-high percentages. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which Shulk first wields the Monado.)

5). Special Attacks:

Standard Special (Battle Soul/Monado Art): Just like in his game, Shulk's moveset features a talent gauge. Depending on whether or not it is full, Shulk can use one of two standard specials: Monado Art and Battle Soul. If Shulk's talent gauge is not full, he can use Battle Soul to fill 50% of it--but as a price, his damage percentage increases. Once his talent gauge is full, he will be able to use Monado Art, which will allow him to use one of eight powerful moves (see below). A high-risk, high-reward move.

[collapse="Monado Arts"]• Monado Buster: Shulk extends the blade of his sword, then performs a strong vertical slash that sends the opponent(s) flying. Extremely powerful, covers a wide range, and can kill at less than 50% damage, but very slow startup.

• Monado Enchant: A power-up move that will temporarily increase the amount of damage and knockback dealt by Shulk's moves.

• Monado Sheild: Shulk encases himself in an orange force field that will render all enemy Special Attacks ineffective.

• Monado Speed: Shulk conjures an aura around him that temporarily increases his evasiveness. Unless he is in the air or performing an attack, all enemy attacks will slip right through Shulk. The duration of his spot dodge and air dodge is also increased, and his dodge roll will be faster.

• Monado Purge: Shulk leaps into the air, then swings his sword upward at a vertical angle, conjuring a green wave of energy that temporarily stuns the opponent. Very slightly slow startup.

• Monado Eater: Shulk pull back his Monado, holding it like a spear--at the same time, it glows with a dark blue aura. Shulk then unleashes a blast of dark energy that covers a wide range in front of him. Said blast knocks enemies away and encroaches them in a dark aura that repeatedly damages them.

• Monado Armour: A power-up move that will temporarily reduce the amount of damage Shulk receives from attacks. He will also not flinch in the slightest.

• Monado Cyclone: Shulk leaps into the air whilst raising his sword, then conjures around him a field of energy that damages surrounding opponents whilst sending them falling on their butt. If the opponent is in the air, he/she will be spiked. Slightly slow startup.[/collapse]

Side Special (War Swing): Shulk spreads his feet and firmly grips his Monado with both hands, holding it horizontally, then enters a spin that starts off slow and weak, but increases in speed and power the longer he is in motion. The move repeatedly damages opponents whilst keeping them pulled in. Slightly slow startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his partner Reyn. The reason I chose this move was because in cutscenes, Shulk often spins around when performing a Monado art, so I thought this would reflect upon that. I originally planned for this move to be Blossom Dance, a timing-based four-hit combo used by Dunban, but in the end found it to be too similar to Marth and Lucina's side special, Dancing Blade.)

Upward Special (Soaring Tempest): Shulk leaps into the air a short distance whilst performing a spinning slash that repeatedly damages opponents. Said opponents are caught up in the attack like a tornado, then are sent flying by a final blow. Quick startup. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his elder teammate Dunban. Since Dunban is somewhat of a mentor to Shulk, I found this move to be rather fitting. Plus, it was the only art I could think of that would be a decent and unique recovery move.)

Downward Special (Shadow Eye): Shulk crouches, ninja-like. At the same time, there is a brief glint in his eye. If the player presses the special button again, Shulk will disappear. If an opponent attacks Shulk whilst he is crouching, he will automatically disappear. Shulk will then instantly reappear either in the same spot at which he disappeared, or in the direction in which the player holds the control stick. This move is very similar to Meta-Knight's downward special in Brawl, except Shulk does not attack upon reappearing. It also travels slightly further. Quick startup. Can be used as a recovery move. After Shulk uses this move, his next attack will deal increased damage and knockback.

6). Grab Attacks:

Grab: Shulk's sword may have a long reach, but his hands don't. Compared to other characters, Shulk has to be rather close to the opponent to grab them. Once he has them, though, he can do some pretty gruesome things to them.

Forward Throw (Electric Gutbuster): Shulk sends the opponent away with a mighty kick to the gut. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his elder teammate Dunban.)

Backward Throw (Starlight Kick): Shulk whirls around, bring the opponent with them, then sends the opponent flying away with a side push-kick. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his teammate and secret admirer Melia.)
Upward Throw (Bone Upper): Shulk sends the opponent flying upwards with a powerful uppercut. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his partner Reyn.)

Downward Throw (Hammer Beat): Shulk drops the opponent to the ground, slowly raises his sword with one hand, standing on one leg, then brings his sword down on the opponent with bone-breaking force, sending the opponent flying. Can kill medium-high percentages. (Author's Note: This move is also not used by Shulk in his game, but by Reyn.)

7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.:

Up-Taunt: Shulk holds the Monado in front of him, pointing straight upwards, one hand on the hilt, the other on the edge. At the same time, he is surrounded by a glowing, windy aura. Meanwhile, he says, "I can feel the power!" (Author's Note: I could really see this becoming a popular meme amongst Smash players.)

Side-Taunt: With both hands, Shulk holds the Monado close to his head, pointing forward. At the same time, hole near the hilt emits an incandescent glow. Meanwhile, he says, "Behold the power of the Monado!"

Down-Taunt: Shulk does a fist pump with his free hand. At the same time, he says, "I can definitely do this!"

Victory Pose 1: Shulk deactivates his Monado and hangs it on his back. Then, looking at the screen with his body turned to the side, says, "You never stood a chance."

Victory Pose 2: With Monado in hand, Shulk triumphantly raises his free hand in the air. At the same time, he says, "I need to be even stronger!"

Victory Pose 3: Shulk causally swings his Monado, then with light fist pump says, "Piece of cake!"

Idle Pose 1: Shulk puts away his Monado and briefly stands erect, one arm across his chest, the other propped up by the elbow, his chin resting on his hand. At the same time, he lightly taps his foot.

On-stage appearance (when the match begins): Shulk materialises from a floating, holographic map, readies his sword, then says confidently (but not arrograntly), "I can't lose!" (Author's Note: This derives from how you can immediately jump to any location you want in Xenoblade Chronicles via the map menu. Unfortunately for me, I did not discover this option until WAY later on in the game.)

8). Final Smash:

Final Smash (Chain Attack): The camera zooms in on Shulk--at the same time, he says, "Time for a Chain Attack!", then with one hand performs a swift horizontal slash that covers a long distance. If the blow connects, Shulk's six companions--Fiora, Reyn, Sharla, Dunban, Melia, and Riki--will appear around him and the opponent(s). At the same time, Shulk shouts, "Everyone, let's go!" The team then proceeds to bombard the opponent(s) with sword slashes, shield and club bashes, gun shots, and magickal attacks, all the while exchanging comical battlefield chatter. After several seconds of hacking and thrashing, the team will end the assault with a final, simultaneous group attack, KO'ing the opponent(s). (Author's Note: I originally planned for this move to be "True Monado", but in the end thought this would be more interesting and funny. I will admit, it was partially inspired by Robin's Final Smash, though I thought of Chain Attack long before Robin's reveal.)
[/collapse]
I just finished reading through and this is probably one of the most thorough move sets I've seen. I can definitely (do this) see something like this being used in Smash. Beforehand I was a little skeptical having a chain attack as a Final Smash because it'd look similar to Robin's. But I don't mind as much now because this would mean cameos of all the Xenoblade characters - all into one attack. Beautiful.
Still open for more possible Final Smashes though. I love seeing what people come up with.

Last edited:

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793

Index
1). Jab & Dash Attack
2). Tilt Attacks
3). Smash Attacks
4). Aerial Attacks
5). Special Attacks
6). Grab Attacks
7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.
8). Final Smash

Summary

1). Jab & Dash Attack:

2). Tilts Attacks:

3). Smash Attacks:

4). Aerial Attacks:

Downward Aerial: Shulk raises his sword over his head whilst arching his back, then plummets downward a medium distance whilst performing a strong descending two-handing strike with his sword, spiking the opponent. If the opponent is on the ground, he/she will be sent flying upward. Slightly slow startup. Can kill at medium-high percentages. (Author's Note: This move derives from the cutscene in which Shulk first wields the Monado.)

5). Special Attacks:

Standard Special (Battle Soul/Monado Art): Just like in his game, Shulk's moveset features a talent gauge. Depending on whether or not it is full, Shulk can use one of two standard specials: Monado Art and Battle Soul. If Shulk's talent gauge is not full, he can use Battle Soul to fill 50% of it--but as a price, his damage percentage increases. Once his talent gauge is full, he will be able to use Monado Art, which will allow him to use one of eight powerful moves (see below). A high-risk, high-reward move.

• Monado Sheild: Shulk encases himself in an orange force field that will render all enemy Special Attacks ineffective.

• Monado Eater: Shulk pull back his Monado, holding it like a spear--at the same time, it glows with a dark blue aura. Shulk then unleashes a blast of dark energy that covers a wide range in front of him. Said blast knocks enemies away and encroaches them in a dark aura that repeatedly damages them.

6). Grab Attacks:

Backward Throw (Starlight Kick): Shulk whirls around, bring the opponent with them, then sends the opponent flying away with a side push-kick. (Author's Note: This move is not used by Shulk in his game, but by his teammate and secret admirer Melia.)

7). Taunts, Poses, Etc.:

Side-Taunt: With both hands, Shulk holds the Monado close to his head, pointing forward. At the same time, hole near the hilt emits an incandescent glow. Meanwhile, he says, "Behold the power of the Monado!"

8). Final Smash:

[/collapse]
Wow, that's pretty all right. Thing is, how do you account for customizable moves?

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Awesome. I may just use that in the very near future, and I'll try to remember to give credit to you.
Thanks! I especially remember your Phoenix Wright posts from when I used to lurk, so that makes me really happy.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Anyone want to see Metal Face as a boss character on whatever xenoblade stage we get?
Yes. That would be awesome. Though I'm kinda inbetween, since I also want the Xenoblade stage to be neutral. Hopefully you can choose to turn off bosses.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice

I don't think any of us really need to worry about Shulk's chances...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

We should all be aware of the notion that the future is not set in stone. While Shulk has a lot of things going for him, he could easily be left out as well.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
We should all be aware of the notion that the future is not set in stone. While Shulk has a lot of things going for him, he could easily be left out as well.
https://twitter.com/sogorukyo/status/476017276584333313

In this tweet, Shintaro Asanuma, Shulks japanese voice actor celebrated Xenoblades four year anniversary. He later states in the sentence that he wants to bring us some good news soon, and to top it all off he uses #Xenoblade_fes14 to end his tweet.

By the way I know that you are just trying to not get your hopes up but this is mostly a post I made because of entertainment anyway.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

The Adam Howden tweet is obviously Nintendo related, at the very least. It may be pertaining to Xenoblade X, or Smash, we don't know. But who else in the industry has ninjas that will cut you balls off if you break their NDA? That's right, only Nintendo. Just look at that person who leaked the final design of the Wii U Gamepad right before E3 2012? Goner. They are the one of the most secretive company out there. Unfortunately there was a leak, and a good one at that. But know that it wasn't from Nintendo itself, but from Bandai-Namco.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice

In this tweet, Shintaro Asanuma, Shulks japanese voice actor celebrated Xenoblades four year anniversary. He later states in the sentence that he wants to bring us some good news soon, and to top it all off he uses #Xenoblade_fes14 to end his tweet.

By the way I know that you are just trying to not get your hopes up but this is mostly a post I made because of entertainment anyway.
Hopefully that doesn't just mean he's voicing the MC in Xenoblade X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom