• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I just really hate when people try adding a bunch of modifiers as to why Shulk can't be in. "We haven't had a character from a four year old niche JRPG on the Wii yet". About as specific as "We haven't had an 18 year old blonde character who uses the Monado yet so he can't get in".

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Hopefully that doesn't just mean he's voicing the MC in Xenoblade X.
X has multiple voice options, and yes Shintaro Asanuma IS one of them, but why would he make a tweet about it like those are some great news? I would understand it if there was only one voice option, but since there are more of them it just doesn't make any sense.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
X has multiple voice options, and yes Shintaro Asanuma IS one of them, but why would he make a tweet about it like those are some great news? I would understand it if there was only one voice option, but since there are more of them it just doesn't make any sense.
True, I hadn't thought of it like that. He represents Japans Shulk, and it would be a bit weird if he was like, "Yo babes, I'm one of the VAs for the MC in Xenoblade X, ya'll love me! p.s. Shulk's not in the game though".

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I just really hate when people try adding a bunch of modifiers as to why Shulk can't be in. "We haven't had a character from a four year old niche JRPG on the Wii yet". About as specific as "We haven't had an 18 year old blonde character who uses the Monado yet so he can't get in".
Agreed.
It shouldn't be the 'seniority' that takes priority in Smash.
Like for Shulk, he has so much going for him, uniqueness, recognition (Xenoblade being the best JRPG of the gen) and relevance (Xenoblade is now a franchise), you can't throw that away just because he is 'just new'.
Hell, Nintendo just announced a new IP and people already want a playable character from it (Splatoon).

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
And like stated before, Monolithsoft has helped Nintendo with several of their mainstream games before. A link between worlds, Animal crossing new leaf, Skyward sword, Pikmin 3 (apparently) and Brawl. Why would Sakurai exclude a Monolith rep if he knows all of this, seems like a Xenoblade fan and wants to include several new franchises in Smash 4?

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
We haven't had an 18 year old blonde male who wears a red vest and sees visions of the future that he uses to change the future with his party of a buff meme-generating wise-cracker, a sharpshooter medic, an ether-using princess, a cyborg girlfriend, an old war veteran, and a legendary heropon yet, so Shulk can't be in. We also don't have a magic-using fire emblem charecter yet- whoops, there's Robin.
Agreed.
It shouldn't be the 'seniority' that takes priority in Smash.
Like for Shulk, he has so much going for him, uniqueness, recognition (Xenoblade being the best JRPG of the gen) and relevance (Xenoblade is now a franchise), you can't throw that away just because he is 'just new'.
Hell, Nintendo just announced a new IP and people already want a playable character from it (Splatoon).
The Inklings would be amazing. Inklings for smash.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
And like stated before, Monolithsoft has helped Nintendo with several of their mainstream games before. A link between worlds, Animal crossing new leaf, Skyward sword, Pikmin 3 (apparently) and Brawl. Why would Sakurai exclude a Monolith rep if he knows all of this, seems like a Xenoblade fan and wants to include several new franchises in Smash 4?
Add NintendoLand to that list.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Let them keep reaching, If the have to come up with **** on why he can't be in then there no reason for him to be out besides " I don't want him in over my favorite character and I think he hurt my favorite character chances"

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
Let them keep reaching, If the have to come up with **** on why he can't be in then there no reason for him to be out besides " I don't want him in over my favorite character and I think he hurt my favorite character chances"
This is what it amounts to, pretty much.

The same can be said about the hostility exhibited towards Xenoblade from Xenoblade haters.

"My favourite RPG didn't get the same recognition and critical acclaim, so Xenoblade sucks."

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
I agree though :)

Putting a Xenoblade representative will be like the Welcoming and Induction of Monolithsoft as an official Nintendo first-party developer (not saying that they aren't now). It would be great for Sakurai to recognize the new talents of the company.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This is what it amounts to, pretty much.

The same can be said about the hostility exhibited towards Xenoblade from Xenoblade haters.

"My favourite RPG didn't get the same recognition and critical acclaim, so Xenoblade sucks."
Yeah. Just because other RPG makers suck does not mean Monolith Soft does.

And about Shulk, when people think of Xenoblade Chronicles they think of him, since Shulk is the :4samus: of Metroid. Their names are synonymous (Shulk and Xenoblade Chronicles).

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
We haven't had an 18 year old blonde male who wears a red vest and sees visions of the future that he uses to change the future with his party of a buff meme-generating wise-cracker, a sharpshooter medic, an ether-using princess, a cyborg girlfriend, an old war veteran, and a legendary heropon yet, so Shulk can't be in. We also don't have a magic-using fire emblem charecter yet- whoops, there's Robin.

I actually would like them to be if not on release then DLC if sakuria does do DLC

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Just because other RPG makers suck does not mean Monolith Soft does.

And about Shulk, when people think of Xenoblade Chronicles they think of him, since Shulk is the :4samus: of Metroid. Their names are synonymous (Shulk and Xenoblade Chronicles).
The result of such fact is obvious. If anything from Xenoblade is in Smash, Shulk will be in, and if nothing from Xenoblade were in smash, it would mean that Sakurai was ignoring one of the most popular and critically acclaimed games on the Wii and one of the most anticipated games for the Wii U. Therefore, Shulk is in.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
The result of such fact is obvious. If anything from Xenoblade is in Smash, Shulk will be in, and if nothing from Xenoblade were in smash, it would mean that Sakurai was ignoring one of the most popular and critically acclaimed games on the Wii and one of the most anticipated games for the Wii U. Therefore, Shulk is in.

but guys shulks another sword fightttterrrrr :substitute:

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Actually, let me help you with that.

I've been watching several Xenoblade Chronicles X videos (which is in the same series so I guess it applies.)

At the end of the Story Trailer E3 2014 is this screen.

Which means, I think, that in the VERY LEAST, it is co-owned by both Nintendo and MONOLITHSOFT.

With that said, in the Nintendo's 74rd Annual General Meeting of Shareholders, a list of subsidiaries was submitted, and this was listed:

Name: Monolith Software, Ltd. (was Inc.)
Region: Japan (Tokyo)
Capital (in millions): ¥75
Corporate role: Development
Ownership percentage: 97

So I guess that's that. :)
I think that goes like this: Publisher / Developer. Monolith Soft is only a developer studio, so they don't have any publishing rights. The same goes for Platinum Games as they have to rely on a publisher to release their games, hence why Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101 property in the first place. :p

I know that!
Though, not many people know that. Some of the uninformed think that he is either a 2nd party character like Marth or a 3rd party character. I wish that I could have a link to that document that someone linked for future use.

Yeah, and by extension them owning the IP to Xenoblade Chronicles.
As long as Nintendo owns the trademark, it's a first-party intellectual property. A lot of people think Marth and Shulk are "second-party" characters—which don't actually exist—because they don't look like Nintendo characters, which is a ridiculous statement. Second-party is just another name for a third-party collaboration.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Just gonna say in advance that the AA Shulk gifs shouldn't be spammed, nor be the main point of a post. They can accompany a post, yes, but don't make it the main point because it turns into a gif dump.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
You know what I don't like? When people put Isaac from Golden Sun against Shulk and say they're competing. Because both are very different characters and there really is no limit to how many characters can use a sword or sword-like weapon.

Rikobomo

Smash Apprentice
I think that goes like this: Publisher / Developer. Monolith Soft is only a developer studio, so they don't have any publishing rights. The same goes for Platinum Games as they have to rely on a publisher to release their games, hence why Nintendo owns The Wonderful 101 property in the first place. :p

As long as Nintendo owns the trademark, it's a first-party intellectual property. A lot of people think Marth and Shulk are "second-party" characters—which don't actually exist—because they don't look like Nintendo characters, which is a ridiculous statement. Second-party is just another name for a third-party collaboration.
The fact that Miyamoto himself referred to Monolithsoft as "our subsidiary" should speak volumes.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
You know what I don't like? When people put Isaac from Golden Sun against Shulk and say they're competing. Because both are very different characters and there really is no limit to how many characters can use a sword or sword-like weapon.
"But they're both blond so only one can be in!"
Meanwhile Link's drinking some red potion.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

If people are this unknowledgable about Shulk then we should spread this more often:

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=77749675&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Just gonna say in advance that the AA Shulk gifs shouldn't be spammed, nor be the main point of a post. They can accompany a post, yes, but don't make it the main point because it turns into a gif dump.
Sure thing. I made them to be used in longer posts to begin with.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Both have their own merits. Both I want in. But I just want to say that I will be disappointed if somehow Golden Sun wouldn't get the recognition it deserves this time around. It is considered as an RPG classic for the GBA, much like Xenoblade is for the Wii.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I can't wait to see Shulks, well, this:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
ugh sakuria give us shulk already you give me robin now I'm greedy and want shulk too shulk should of been revaled along side robin instead of Lucina (yes I said it **** that clone) :4robinm: where it's at yo

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
ugh sakuria give us shulk already you give me robin now I'm greedy and want shulk too shulk should of been revaled along side robin instead of Lucina (yes I said it **** that clone) :4robinm: where it's at yo
The fact that you want to Shulk so badly is the very reason why Sakurai will continue to troll him.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
The fact that you want to Shulk so badly is the very reason why Sakurai will continue to troll him.
the fact he is trolling with Shulk is the biggest reason we know he's in he did the same for the longest time with Palutena

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I can't wait to see Shulks, well, this:
It would be cool if his icon on the bottom screen changed to the fainting picture when Shulk is KO'd.

As for the screen impact- He hits the screen, drops the Monado, and slowly peels of.

Also a request: Sharknado with Monados. It would be a Monado-nado.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
It would be cool if his icon on the bottom screen changed to the fainting picture when Shulk is KO'd.

As for the screen impact- He hits the screen, drops the Monado, and slowly peels of.

Also a request: Sharknado with Monados. It would be a Monado-nado.
:O Smash should totally adapt that animated portraits! :(

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
the fact he is trolling with Shulk is the biggest reason we know he's in he did the same for the longest time with Palutena
I expect Sakurai to troll Reyn as the Xenoblade Chronicles rep when he turns out to be an actual Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Guys, I just realized that I REALLY want Shulk in smash.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
Why would they do that? They'er not the same, no one compare Link to Marth because they swords so why compare Shulk and Isaac.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
8 mins without a new update in here this place is dead everyone go home shulk deconfirmed now

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
It's funny the the people that put Isaac against Shulk are the too man E swordz people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom