• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
If Shulk gets in, he is basically a shoo-in for every Smash game since he would be the Marth of Xenoblade.
As for my choice, I go with Reyn purely for Reyn time! My second pic would actually be Riki since he would have a pretty diverse moveset with his debuffs. Also, the Heropon is very cool!

They better learn their mistakes for Xenoblade Chronicles: X. I bet that Xenoblade would have reached over 1 million sales if the game was sold in every retail store and the copies weren't limited. Hopefully they give this game better promotion...
Hmm I never thought of that about Marth, good point!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No doubt that XCX is comin' over to the States. Just hopin' that it won't suffer the Tales Series' infamous localization dates.
???? I am not sure Nintendo has anything to do with the Tales Series' since they are owned by Namco Bandai (Bandai Namco).

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
The Tales series is infamous for being released in Japan, and then (a lucky few) will be released in the US . . . a long time later. I'm hoping XCS doesn't have that problem.

In other words, 200 pages, guys! Glorious celebration!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The Tales series is infamous for being released in Japan, and then (a lucky few) will be released in the US . . . a long time later. I'm hoping XCS doesn't have that problem.

But that series is not owned by Nintendo "The Tales series" the Xenoblade Chronicles series are and that is because Nintendo owns Monolith Soft; unless, you already know Nintendo owns Monolith Soft.

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323

And before midnight ^_^

Last edited:

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093

According to Nintendo's website, X is planned for a 2015 release in Japan, NA, Europe, and Australia. At worst, there would be a delay of no more than a few months, I would think.

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
So guys, assuming we have the Junk's stage touring different locations from the game, what would be your thoughts on one of the locations being the cut Bionis Left Shoulder map? For anyone unaware, the Bionis Left Shoulder was a map that was cut from game after it (as in the map) was near completion. Despite this there are actually a few cutscenes late in the game that feature it as a backdrop, and the data for the entire map is still on most if not all copies of the game. You can even access and explore it using either Dolphin or a hacked Wii. It's easily one of the largest, if not the largest, maps in the game, perhaps slightly larger than the Bionis Leg. For the most part the landscape is completed, other than some low-polygon/blurry buildings and the lack of any npcs, enemies or interactive elements to the environment. One of the more common theories about the map is that it was originally intended to connect Makna Forest to Eryth Sea, but had to be cut due to various reasons.

Here's a video of someone who hacked it into the game with the Dolphin emulator, if anyone's interested in taking a closer look at it. I'll warn you that it does have a short clip of a late game cutscene, however it's just a quick fly-over of the map, and he has the subtitles set to Japanese.

Interloper

Smash Cadet
NNID
interloper323
So guys, assuming we have the Junk's stage touring different locations from the game, what would be your thoughts on one of the locations being the cut Bionis Left Shoulder map? For anyone unaware, the Bionis Left Shoulder was a map that was cut from game after it (as in the map) was near completion. Despite this there are actually a few cutscenes late in the game that feature it as a backdrop, and the data for the entire map is still on most if not all copies of the game. You can even access and explore it using either Dolphin or a hacked Wii. It's easily one of the largest, if not the largest, maps in the game, perhaps slightly larger than the Bionis Leg. For the most part the landscape is completed, other than some low-polygon/blurry buildings and the lack of any npcs, enemies or interactive elements to the environment. One of the more common theories about the map is that it was originally intended to connect Makna Forest to Eryth Sea, but had to be cut due to various reasons.

Here's a video of someone who hacked it into the game with the Dolphin emulator, if anyone's interested in taking a closer look at it. I'll warn you that it does have a short clip of a late game cutscene, however it's just a quick fly-over of the map, and he has the subtitles set to Japanese.

I wouldn't mind that. I would also like to see: Prison Island, Gaur Plains, Fallen arm, Mechonis Field, Satorl Marsh, Valak Mountain, and Colony 9.

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
WE MADE IT TO 200 PAGES BEFORE MIDNIGHT JUST LIKE I SAID! KNEW YOU GUYS WOULDN'T FAIL ME!

Also, correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Tetsuya Takahashi's wife close friends with Sakurai? And didn't she say on Twitter some time ago that she'd like to have Shulk in the game?

I really wish this was in the final game. It looks so interesting.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
So like, am I the only who thought Melia was a pushover or what? She should have been way more assertive, in my opinion, but I guess her incredible tenacity is partly why you guys like her so much. Thing is, that tenacity is also why so much bad stuff happens to her, so it's kind of hard for me to be too sympathetic towards her and her story.

Really, that's probably why I prefer Fiora. It felt like she tried harder to make things happen. Melia sort of gave up a lot, from my perspective. Still, she kept a high spirit throughout the story, gotta give her credit for that.
I'm not sure what you mean by a pushover. And I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that her tenacity is the cause of her life being crappy. I mean, c'mon:
Her biological mother dies, her four closest friends die protecting her, her brother's mom tries to have her assassinated, (let's not forget it was her brother's sister trying to assassinate her), her father gets stabbed by a giant metal claw right in front of her WHILE PROTECTING HER, Shulk gets pulled out from under her feet by a robot lady that just showed up, her people (including her brother) get turned into mindless mind-reading dragons that exist solely to eliminate the other life on Bionis, she has to continuously KILL her people because of that, she has to watch a creepy gross telethia lady kiss her brother while he's unconscious (seriously Lorithia that was super gross c'mon now), she has to then KILL HER BROTHER, and on top of ALL THAT, her Dobercorgi of all things gets run over by the Mobile Artillery.
And after all that, you still find it hard to be sympathetic towards her? I'm a bit confused, not gonna' lie. :b
Like when Mumkhar's all like "OH YEAH GOT THE MONADO AND NOW I'M ACTING LIKE A MASSIVE JERKOFF AND I HAVE A REALLY ANNOYING VOICE" and then Melia's all like "We will not bow to you!" and Mind Blasts him in the face. Or when Lorithia's dying and she's like "I completely misunderstood the definition of immortality oh nuuuuuuuuuuu" and Melia's like "This is your destiny, accept it with dignity!". Damn she's cool.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I caught up.

First of all, I'd like to apologize. The Hades/Shulk stuff went too far or not far enough and we really derailed earlier. Good on you guys for getting back on topic without any infractions. That being said, Lovenado Chronicles shall not continue. I finally got my sanity back and realized that today was the weirdest thing to ever to happen to me.

From now on, I shall listen to BigAxle-senpai (who finally noticed us) and be a good little Shulkling.
...Until such a time presents itself when being a good little Shulkling and being a bad Shulkling are the same thing. :troll:

P.S. I love writing bad fanfics on purpose. So easy and so much fun.

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Also, going back to what someone said earlier, I don't see a problem with Shulk getting revealed next after another sword user. Granted i'm biased towards Shulk, but the people that will complain about "TOOO MANY SWORDZ" will do so no matter which order Shulk gets revealed.

OOH IDEA TIME! What if in Shulk's trailer during the "look how awesome this new character is montage" Shulk is talking to Alvis. It's a little thing but I think it'd be cool.

Last edited:

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
Also, to help flesh out the Junk's stage idea, here's a video of someone exploring just about every map in the game using a moonjump cheat. I have to say this is the video that's really convinced me on the idea of a Junk's stage. I'll warn you though, it's spoiler-central, so watch at your own risk if you haven't beaten the game yet.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Also, going back to what someone said earlier, I don't see a problem with Shulk getting revealed next after another sword user. Granted i'm biased towards Shulk, but the people that will complain about "TOOO MANY SWORDZ" will do so no matter which order Shulk gets revealed.

OOH IDEA TIME! What if in Shulk's trailer during the "look how awesome this new characterbis montage" Shulk is talking to Alvis. It's a little thing but I think it'd be cool.
To be fair, Shulk and Robin are far from regular sword users (in fact, they both match in that they break that nonexistent mold) and Lucina is an easier to use Marth. Someone earlier in the thread did point out that ever since Rosalina, characters have been revealed in a pattern of new characters from already represented franchises followed by new characters from previously unrepresented franchises. Like they trade off each time. That would mean this next reveal should be a previously unrepresented franchise. August 19th is Xenoblade's anniversary....

Anyway, I ramble. Another "sword user" is not what we'll get. We'll get a "Monado user" instead. ;)

I feel like Shulk would talk to Reyn or Riki, whichever is represented as an AT, if any (wish it was Alvis).

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Also, to help flesh out the Junk's stage idea, here's a video of someone exploring just about every map in the game using a moonjump cheat. I have to say this is the video that's really convinced me on the idea of a Junk's stage. I'll warn you though, it's spoiler-central, so watch at your own risk if you haven't beaten the game yet.

MELIA HACKS THE BATTLE. Then cue in the music

200!! Why does this thread move fast???? :((( GEMATSU IS DEBUNKED RIGHT?????

:troll:
Well since Gematsu is dead Shulk's chances have gone down to almost 0. That's why this thread has been so quiet...wait a minute.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
MELIA HACKS THE BATTLE. Then cue in the music

Well since Gematsu is dead Shulk's chances have gone down to almost 0. That's why this thread has been so quiet...wait a minute.
And then, after posting that, there was twenty minutes of silence.

...Can you see the future?

Do you have the Monado?

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

I wish the guy would have spent more time doing things like what he did with bionis leg. Anyways, I was able to get a good grasp of how everything connected thanks to a model somebody use for brawl modding. It prompted me to write something on Shulk for smash bros's facebook page a while back... let's see if I can dig it up.

Ah, here it is.

"If you would allow me to get a bit carried away....
It starts at colony 9 and blasts off through the open roof and twists its way around Bionis' leg. From the knee, it travels at low elevation across the bionis leg so that players can get a nice view of some of the creatures and the geological formations. It continues on its trek, passing over a colony 6 where you can briefly see people rebuilding. Then it troubles through the dense fogs of Satorl Marsh, twists around to the back, and arrives over makna falls, heading towards frontier village. As it reaches the big, hollowed tree, it turns skyward, accelerates, and bursts through water into the scenic skies of Eryth sea. It does some cool twists around Alcamoth and Prison Island until it exits in haste down the right arm, where it dodges around the snowy peaks of Valak Mountain. Players stare Mechonis in the face as Junks streams toward it above Sword Valley. The more it draws near, the heavier fire from Mechon from below becomes. Junks doesn't spend as much time here, just passes by Agniratha and maybe the head, until it starts down to Fallen Arm. On the way, players can get a nice view of both of the titans. Junks glides over Fallen Arm a bit and makes its way back to fallen arm where it restarts its journey. Perhaps it makes a quick pit stop at fallen arm and then restarts. Maybe the level should start at the fallen arm anyways since it makes more sense than colony 9 and the players would get a nice view of both of the titan early on as it flies from the arm to bionis leg."

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
I caught up.

First of all, I'd like to apologize. The Hades/Shulk stuff went too far or not far enough and we really derailed earlier. Good on you guys for getting back on topic without any infractions. That being said, Lovenado Chronicles shall not continue. I finally got my sanity back and realized that today was the weirdest thing to ever to happen to me.

From now on, I shall listen to BigAxle-senpai (who finally noticed us) and be a good little Shulkling.
...Until such a time presents itself when being a good little Shulkling and being a bad Shulkling are the same thing. :troll:

P.S. I love writing bad fanfics on purpose. So easy and so much fun.
We are showing our support for Shulk to be in Smash Bros by writing fanfics. So technically, we aren't derailing...

:troll:

domokl

Smash Lord
Congrats. I think we have proven we can change the future and shulk will indeec be playable in smash 4!

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
wewt 200 pages
I swear I can't follow this thread because whenever I leave there's 10 pages to catch up on...

If we're talking about stages, I think the consensus is that Junks would best showcase the entire Xenoblade world, Bionis' Leg would be most iconic. I personally think that Eryth Sea or Satorl Marsh would look amazing in HD, considering how good they looked on the Wii. Once again: this game, so much potential...

Staarih

Smash Master
This thread is suddenly becoming the new Ridley-thread, where the pages jump like 10 pages (well, maybe not quite) a day and I'm too lazy to catch up with it all. But yay for 200 pages!

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
To be fair, Shulk and Robin are far from regular sword users (in fact, they both match in that they break that nonexistent mold) and Lucina is an easier to use Marth. Someone earlier in the thread did point out that ever since Rosalina, characters have been revealed in a pattern of new characters from already represented franchises followed by new characters from previously unrepresented franchises. Like they trade off each time. That would mean this next reveal should be a previously unrepresented franchise. August 19th is Xenoblade's anniversary....

Anyway, I ramble. Another "sword user" is not what we'll get. We'll get a "Monado user" instead. ;)

I feel like Shulk would talk to Reyn or Riki, whichever is represented as an AT, if any (wish it was Alvis).
Yeah, that person that pointed out that newcomer trend was me. Good to see someone remembers (even if part of me feels I was reaching).

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

OOH IDEA TIME! What if in Shulk's trailer during the "look how awesome this new character is montage" Shulk is talking to Alvis. It's a little thing but I think it'd be cool.
That was me (I think), and the more I think about it, the more I hope you're right, and we get Shulk anyway so I can stop with the stress.

I figure Shulk's trailer, if he gets one, is going to be a total mystery at first, and will either involve a vision, or something really out of left field. Like Ridley or Mewtwo.

TTrain

Official Terminator Train
NNID
ThomasTerminator
3DS FC
4613-7026-8628
I just got a trailer idea :D

It all starts out like this...

The video starts off near a familiar bridge that us Bronados know of, all the creatures seem happy in their natural habitat...when suddenly...

Wario blazes down that bridge on his motorcycle (which confirms him to return)! But, he gets distracted by a shiny green light in the distance, and crashes into a barrier (dammit, he pulled a Juju), and continues on foot.

He eventually runs into Ness (which confirms Ness to return), who is confronted by a faced Mechon. Both of them team up to try to take it down, but it's no use...As the Mechon is about to make a mess out of the duo...

"Monado---Buster!"

Shulk appears and destroys the Mechon,saving Wario, Ness, and claiming his place in Smash Bros!

Suddenly...

"ooya!" Ganondorf breaks out of the Mechon corpse and draws his sword, and challenges Shulk to a duel! (and confirms Ganon to return)

As the duel goes by, Wario and Ness see a purple ball of energy fly by towards Shulk. Wario and Ness warn him, but by the time they signaled, he already dodged it and it hits Ganon...he turns around and sees a floating armored figure...

Ness sneaks a PK Flash at the enemy and its armor breaks...and we hear a familiar cry...

The armor falls off, and Mewtwo appears! (and confirms his return to Smash Bros).

From there, there's gameplay of everyone, while all of us viewers are freaking out because most of our wanted characters are confirmed to return.

At the end of the video, Reyn sees the battle, and runs down there and says "Yeah! Reyn time!" to assist Shulk in the end.

Wish this could actually happen. XD

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
This thread is getting too many posts too fast. It's impossible to catch up on what people are saying.

But I don't care, I don't read most of them anyway. I can tell you that since I've joined this thread, I've been loving it ever since. It may not be the most formal but at least we have fun and, hey, it's not we are never making good, thought out arguments for Shulk's inclusion but still we just joke around a lot of the time, and I'm okay with that.

I love you guys.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I know that @BigAxle secretly likes our fanfics. But seriously, great job getting back on topic guys, because those pages were certainly really weird.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So everyone is pretty much in agreement that if Xenoblade X would get a rep in the future, it would be Elma?

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
Yeah. Only from what we've seen, she seems like a crucial character to the game. Of course, the main avatar is important too but the customisation for them is endless... there isn't exactly a set design for him/her. And if I recall correctly, the name was customisable as well?

I posted about it earlier but I didn't know how to tag users at the time. So BluePikmin11 I'd like to be added to the supporter list please. :) Gotta add to the Shulk lovin'.

Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Yeah. Only from what we've seen, she seems like a crucial character to the game. Of course, the main avatar is important too but the customisation for them is endless... there isn't exactly a set design for him/her. And if I recall correctly, the name was customisable as well?

I posted about it earlier but I didn't know how to tag users at the time. So BluePikmin11 I'd like to be added to the supporter list please. :) Gotta add to the Shulk lovin'.
I dunno, basically the same could've been said for Robin, and he's in.

Shyolk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shyolk
3DS FC
4957-3860-4390
Sorry this is a bit off topic from the previous question uhh spoilers:
What version of the Monado do you all think Shulk would be wielding? He could be using the Monado because it's the most iconic and spoiler-free design but it won't be able to damage people. Or Sakurai could just go with it and let Shulk use it because why the heck not. But Sakurai does like attention-to-detail (note: Lucina's mark of the Exalt in her eye) so that makes room for Monado II to bust a cap, yo.
Sakurai also doesn't care much for spoilers so the True Monado is also a possibility.

Gracious, my train of thought is going on a tangent right now. I just thought what if Shulk's Monado turned into the True Monado for his Final Smash? Imagining it makes me excited...

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Its really going to come down to if the player-created Avatar in X has a crucial role in the plot, or the Avatar is merely a character created to follow a set guideline other characters lead them on. Because Robin is closer to Commander Shepard from Mass Effect; a customizable character with a crucial role in the storyline. If the X protagonist is more like a character you create in an MMORPG, its completely different and not the same thing.

Another thing is Robin had their own unique class in Awakening. Does this X protagonist have a specific set gameplay style, or can it be picked from a variety of classes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom