• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
That would be awesome, actually. Assuming it was done well (and I trust Sakurai to make sure only the best version would get in)

Edit: that was in regards to the medley idea.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

The main theme would obviously be up for rearrangement for Smash. It's the main theme!
If they could SOMEHOW make that song sound as epic and fast paced as unfinished battle (It already sounds epic, but in a much slower fashion) I would cry tears of joy.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So, how would you guys feel about a Xenoblade medley that compiles some area music maybe?
Like this one from brawl:
I'd be down for that.

Actually, how would you like Shulk's reveal trailer to go, if it happens?

I recall hearing one a while ago (not sure where), and although it'd never happen, it'd be hilarious/amazing.
  • Starts with Sakurai and other developers in a meeting deciding on characters to cast as playable.
  • Serious discussion about some of the characters. Start talking about Shulk, but decide against him.
  • Zooms out, *Vision effect*, what we saw was a vision of the future
  • Shulk decides to prove them wrong
  • Footage of Shulk perhaps confronting some other unconfirmed character
  • Epic battle ensues
  • Smash Run footage, Shulk being awesome
  • In-game battle footage, Shulk being awesome
  • The day arrives
  • Sakurai & Co. in meeting about characters
  • Start talking about Shulk... and they decide to include him.
  • The future has been changed
  • SHULK CONFIRMED

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Ugh, this month is going to slow. I need to see Shulk's reveal trailer all ready!

What other Xeno characters do you expect to be in Shulk's trailer? Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening both had a lot voice work and had a few extra characters in their corresponding trailers.

I think Alivs will definitely be in to narrate a bit, but besides that I am not sure. Reyn probably, and I could see Riki in the trailer itself.

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
If they could SOMEHOW make that song sound as epic and fast paced as unfinished battle (It already sounds epic, but in a much slower fashion) I would cry tears of joy.
Wouldn't be too hard. Replace the piano with an electric guitar, add some more background instruments. Maybe replace the violin solos with an electric violin?

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains

The main theme would obviously be up for rearrangement for Smash. It's the main theme!
Dude, set the video for times 2 speed. I can see how it works.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
You will Know Our Names guiltar cover.
set it at 1.5 it sound great.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Engage the enemy works REALLY well speed up.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Engage the enemy works REALLY well speed up.

My net connection is derping so I can't actually hear it sped up, but I learned to play Engage the Enemy on piano a while back with the intent of throwing it up on YouTube (and proving to myself that I could still play). While I was still learning it, I'd sometimes try to see how fast I could play it, for the lols. Even with my constant mistakes, it actually does sound better than you'd expect it to!

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
So I found a moveset I did a while back and decided to update it, removing all the over-complex Break and such. Instead, break acts like a trip and daze is a knockdown. He also has talent gauge and future sight on his side!
------------------------------------------------
Summary: Shulk is an underdog relies on powering himself thru the Monado. With a sharp mind and the Monado's power, Shulk can be as good or better than the rest.

Inherent*
Talent Arts:
The more you hit with normals, the talent gauge fills up. When full the Monado will glow white with a battle quote. Your next special will have great effect.
Inherent*
Talent Arts:
The more you hit with normals, the talent gauge fills up. When full the Monado will glow white with a battle quote. Your next special will have great effect.
Future Sight: When you successfully dodge an attack, you can immediately perform an action. This has a 30 second cooldown indicated by Shulk's eyes briefly glowing blue and a battle quote.
Specials*
B: Monado Purge:
A mid range projectile with long endlag. The projectile is half Shulk's height and the speed of Wolf's laser
Talent Art: Monado Buster: Like falcon punch, it has a long wind up but a LONG range. The Monado light grows and strikes in a half moon shape in front. Size; height just below Battlefields 3rd platform and range short of half battlefield.

B>: Monado Eater: Slow windup, on hit removes any charge the enemy has (Samus charged shot). Also force drops enemy items. Decent KO move.
Talent Art: Monado speed: Shulk glows blue and dashes in the direction. Think of Ike's side B. Press B again to stop, or use an attack. This great synergy with Backslash! Great for air recovery, no falling animation after.

Bv: Shadow eye: Shulk glows blue entering a counter stance. If an enemy hits, the attack is dodged your next move is more powerful.
Talent art: Monado shield. Absorb the next attack.

B^: Monado cyclone: Whirls you up when in the air. On the ground, it will hit on both sides multiple times and trip enemies at the very beginning. Otherwise, it's a no-flinch attack making you vulnerable.
Talent art: When used on the ground, Cyclone becomes a projectile on both sides, forcing knockdown.
Normals*
Ground*
A: Turn strike:
Basic attack where the last one inflicts can trip, but only at low percents as later it will send you airborne.

Dash: A one hand leaping attack that lets you pass thru projectiles.

Tilts*
A> Slit edge:
In Xenoblade this lowers defense, and how do you defend in smash? By shielding! This is a shield reducer.

Av: Shaker edge. If enemy is tripped, it will knockdown them. It can also meteor aired targets (like Link's). Otherwise, poor damage.

A^: Raise the Monado. The light beams out. Slow, but strong and tall. Makes a mini wall, but the strong hit is on top.

Smashes*
A>:
Backslash! As expected, it's 2x as strong from behind. The move is super quick, but benefits greatly from charging given the 2x multiplier. Great KO move from behind.

Av: Stream edge: Hits one way and hits the other if A is pressed twice (like Link's f-smash). Can trip if it with the beam part of the Monado. Not meant for KO'ing.

A^: An upwards slash infront of Shulk.

Air*
A:
Air slash! (of course!) A low 90 degree slash. High end delay but low landing lag. Trips grounded enemies. Easily the best way to follow up with Shaker edge when timed well.

A> A leaping strike with both arms. Very good damage, but slow.

A<: Hits high, a half moon on the upper part behind him for good knockback.

A^ Shulk jolts the Monado above him for a quick strike.

Last edited:

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So I found a moveset I did a while back and decided to update it, removing all the over-complex Break and such. Instead, break acts like a trip and daze is a knockdown. He also has talent gauge and future sight on his side!
Summary: Shulk is an underdog relies on powering himself thru the Monado. With a sharp mind and the Monado's power, Shulk can be as good or better than the rest.

Inherent*
Talent Arts:
Inherent*
Talent Arts:
Future Sight: When you successfully dodge an attack, you can immediately perform an action. This has a 30 second cooldown indicated by Shulk's eyes briefly glowing blue and a battle quote.
Specials*
A mid range projectile with long endlag. The projectile is maybe half shulk's height and the speed of Wolf's laser
Talent Art: Monado Buster: Similar to falcon punch, it has a long wide up but a LONG range. The monado light grows and strikes in a half moon shape in front. Size; height just below Battlefields 3rd platform and range short of half battlefield.

B>: Monado Eater: Slow windup, if hit removes any charge enemy may have (Samus charged shot). Also force drops enemy items. Decent kill move.
Talent Art: Monado speed: Shulk glows blue and dashes in the direction. Think of Ike's side B. Press B again to stop, or use an attack. This great synergy with Backslash! Great for air recovery, no falling animation after.

Bv: Shadow eye: Shulk glows blue entering a counter stance. If an enemy hits, the attack is dodged your next move is more powerful.

B^: Monado cyclone: Whirls you up when in the air. On the ground, it will hit on both sides multiple times and trip enemies at the very beginning. Otherwise, it's a no-flinch attack making you vulnerable.
Talent art: When used on the ground, Cyclone becomes a projectile on both sides, forcing knockdown.
Normals*
Ground*
Basic attack where the last one inflicts can trip, but only at low percents as later it will send you airborne.

Tilts*
A> Slit edge:
In Xenoblade this lowers defense, and how do you defend in smash? By shielding! This is a shield reducer.

Av: Shaker edge. If enemy is tripped, it will knockdown them. It can also meteor aired targets (like Link's). Otherwise, poor damage.

A^: Raise the Monado. The light beams out. Slow, but strong and tall. Makes a mini wall, but the strong hit is on top.

Smashes*
A>:
Backslash! As expected, it's 2x as strong from behind. The move is super quick, but benefits greatly from charging given the 2x multiplier. Great KO move from behind.

Av: Stream edge: Hits one way and hits the other if A is pressed twice (like Link's f-smash). Can trip if it with the beam part of the Monado. Not meant for KO'ing.

Air*
A:
Air slash! (of course!) A low 90 degree slash. High end delay but low landing lag. Trips grounded enemies. Easily the best way to follow up with Shaker edge when timed well.

This is actually the best moveset I've seen so far and I can really see it working :)

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
We talk about Shulk's reveal trailer a lot, but when we talk about it, we usually mention Xenoblade stuff we want to see. I'm posing this question differently- what NON-Xenoblade stuff would you want to see in his reveal trailer? We got Captain Falcon in Robin/Lucina's trailer, so who would you want Shulk fighting and in a non-Xenoblade location that you think would compliment Shulk well?

I'll give an example with my answer- I'd love to see Shulk fighting Meta-Knight and have his mask being mistaken for a faced mechon. I'd also love to see them fighting on a light, bright atmospheric stage to compliment Xenoblade's openness, so probably Palutena's Temple or maybe they tease a Kirby's Dreamland-type stage. Anyone want to weigh in?

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
This is actually the best moveset I've seen so far and I can really see it working :)
:o you actually read it @.@ . Thank you!! I did put a lot of thought into it.

I'm happy that from Sakurai's recent interviews on Fire Emblem it seems he DOES play the games he includes. This gives me great hopes for him streamlining Shulk while keeping the fanservice

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
A friend of mine wanted to see my desk setup, so I took a pic of it.

And it made me wonder. Have you guys ever left Xenoblade on the title screen on your TV and just enjoyed the music while having your TV look like a nice screensaver?

I do it sometimes at night and it's really nice.
Just wondered if anyone else here has done the same, since I'd assume a bunch of you own the game.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
(24 quadrillion posts later, but whatever. Thread moves so fast now).

I'm not sure what you mean by a pushover. And I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that her tenacity is the cause of her life being crappy. I mean, c'mon:
Her biological mother dies, her four closest friends die protecting her, her brother's mom tries to have her assassinated, (let's not forget it was her brother's sister trying to assassinate her), her father gets stabbed by a giant metal claw right in front of her WHILE PROTECTING HER, Shulk gets pulled out from under her feet by a robot lady that just showed up, her people (including her brother) get turned into mindless mind-reading dragons that exist solely to eliminate the other life on Bionis, she has to continuously KILL her people because of that, she has to watch a creepy gross telethia lady kiss her brother while he's unconscious (seriously Lorithia that was super gross c'mon now), she has to then KILL HER BROTHER, and on top of ALL THAT, her Dobercorgi of all things gets run over by the Mobile Artillery.
And after all that, you still find it hard to be sympathetic towards her? I'm a bit confused, not gonna' lie. :b
Like when Mumkhar's all like "OH YEAH GOT THE MONADO AND NOW I'M ACTING LIKE A MASSIVE JERKOFF AND I HAVE A REALLY ANNOYING VOICE" and then Melia's all like "We will not bow to you!" and Mind Blasts him in the face. Or when Lorithia's dying and she's like "I completely misunderstood the definition of immortality oh nuuuuuuuuuuu" and Melia's like "This is your destiny, accept it with dignity!". Damn she's cool.
Well yeah, her story is tragic, but she could have changed a lot of that for the better, in my opinon (except for the part where her Dobercorgi got run over by that mobile artillery though, that was 100% fate). I guess I should clarify what I mean through the wonders of spoiler tags:

Like when Shulk decided to free Zanza - the giant her people imprisoned for thousands of years with very good reason. She should have protested against that decision a lot more than she actually did. Had she stopped Shulk, her people wouldn't have been converted into Telethia and her brother wouldn't have had to die. And then there's her "love affair" with Shulk. Girl had to have her arm twisted by Sharla before she started pursuing him and was immediately pushed aside when Fiora was reintroduced. Reticent or not, she could have tried harder. Also, I wish she would have been less tolerant with the First Consort and Tyrea's shenanigans. She should have been mad at them, but instead she was sort of just sad about the whole thing.

But you're right, she does have her moments where she does stand her ground a bit more firmly (especially near the endgame). I guess overcoming her reticence is part of her character development? If so, then that kind of trivializes my beef with her... My bad. lol

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Shulk fighting Ridley seems to be a popular demand for a trailer.

A villain trailer is also a wanted demand.

Can we combine the two? Mario and Link fighting Ganondorf and Wario. The battle is going in the hero's favor when Ridley swoops in and turns the tide. Just when hope is lost, Shulk appears to slay the dragon.

Last edited:

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
We talk about Shulk's reveal trailer a lot, but when we talk about it, we usually mention Xenoblade stuff we want to see. I'm posing this question differently- what NON-Xenoblade stuff would you want to see in his reveal trailer? We got Captain Falcon in Robin/Lucina's trailer, so who would you want Shulk fighting and in a non-Xenoblade location that you think would compliment Shulk well?

I'll give an example with my answer- I'd love to see Shulk fighting Meta-Knight and have his mask being mistaken for a faced mechon. I'd also love to see them fighting on a light, bright atmospheric stage to compliment Xenoblade's openness, so probably Palutena's Temple or maybe they tease a Kirby's Dreamland-type stage. Anyone want to weigh in?
This was actually brought up a dozen or two pages back (the thread moves so fast). I made a joke about Meta-knight being the ultimate faced mechon, and since you are making the same comparison I am confident it's the right way to go :-]

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice

Snake fighting a what he thinks is a 'Metal Gear' which is really a Faced Mechon! Then Shulk helps him and unleashes the power of the Monado to finish it off! I know Snake has a suuuuuuuuuper small chance of coming back but I want him in dammit!

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

And it made me wonder. Have you guys ever left Xenoblade on the title screen on your TV and just enjoyed the music while having your TV look like a nice screensaver?

Just wondered if anyone else here has done the same, since I'd assume a bunch of you own the game.
Nice desk dude! I often leave Xenoblade on in the background, most of the time on Valak mountain or in Satorl marsh.

Last edited:

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
Kind of like this.
I want this remix in the game! Why on Bionis was this song only used once?

Inherent*
Talent Arts:
Inherent*
Talent Arts:
Specials*
A mid range projectile with long endlag. The projectile is maybe half shulk's height and the speed of Wolf's laser
Talent Art: Monado Buster: Similar to falcon punch, it has a long wide up but a LONG range. The monado light grows and strikes in a half moon shape in front. Size; height just below Battlefields 3rd platform and range short of half battlefield.

B>: Monado Eater: Slow windup, if hit removes any charge enemy may have (Samus charged shot). Also force drops enemy items. Decent kill move.

Normals*
Ground*

Tilts*
A> Slit edge:

Smashes*
A>:

Air*
A:

This is amazing. I was just about to post something asking why no one has incorporated the talent gauge in Shulk's moveset yet. Good on you!

I've said it before. I want the trailer to start with Ridley beating up bad guys, then Shulk makes the save, then at the end of the trailer we cut back to Ridley "dead" as he opens his eyes. Gives us Shulk and a final tease of Ridley being playable before the game comes out.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Wow, I am really slow. I JUST realized that you have Monster Hunter plushies! That Brachydios one is amazing.

You know what's odd? I've never actually gone to the official Xenoblade home page until today.

http://xenobladechronicles.nintendo.com/index.html

It's funny that Kallian and the Emperor have listed ages in the characters bio section, but Melia doesn't.
That IS kinda weird.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wow, I am really slow. I JUST realized that you have Monster Hunter plushies! That Brachydios one is amazing.

That IS kinda weird.
Doesn't some official production notes book state Melia's age as 88? Even so, since High Entia can live up to thousands of years old, 88 would be young in their terms I guess. Especially since Elior, a "child" character who looks about 12 or 13, is actually 58, due to the High Entia's different way of aging

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I want this remix in the game! Why on Bionis was this song only used once?

This is amazing. I was just about to post something asking why no one has incorporated the talent gauge in Shulk's moveset yet. Good on you!

I've said it before. I want the trailer to start with Ridley beating up bad guys, then Shulk makes the save, then at the end of the trailer we cut back to Ridley "dead" as he opens his eyes. Gives us Shulk and a final tease of Ridley being playable before the game comes out.
I incorporated the Talent Guage into mine, a few pages back >_>

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Doesn't some official production notes book state Melia's age as 88? Even so, since High Entia can live up to thousands of years old, 88 would be young in their terms I guess. Especially since Elior, a "child" character who looks about 12 or 13, is actually 58, due to the High Entia's different way of aging
I remember something like that too. And yeah, I guess Melia is like 18-19 to them.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Last edited:

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice

I dunno, I sort of want to save Meta Knight for a Bandana Dee reveal trailer (although what you're suggesting is indisputably awesome.)

Unless... would it be possible for a trailer with Meta Knight, Bandana Dee, and Shulk? *Girlishly squees at the thought of such a masterpiece.*

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but you know how fast this thread moves. Okay you're the only two I've seen do that. But seriously that would make Shulk so unique it would be a shame if Sakurai didn't implement it.
I dunno, but all this thought on how to best implement Shulk's moveset makes me think: what would be the worst possible moveset they could give Shulk were he in the game? Maybe if they made him a Marth clone (though I can't see that happening, thankfully).

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, but all this thought on how to best implement Shulk's moveset makes me think: what would be the worst possible moveset they could give Shulk were he in the game? Maybe if they made him a Marth clone (though I can't see that happening, thankfully).
If they ignored all of his arts and Monado arts and just had him do basic sword strikes. And then made Monado Buster the final smash. Truly the worst fate. Luckily for us, Sakurai is in his right mind. He removed tripping after all.

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to say that Shulk is the only character left that I'd really like to see in Sm4sh.
(everyone else I really wanted is already in)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom