• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Well the hype trains currently in the lake, I guess I'll just walk it...

So, any one thinking about shulk's stats? His running speed, his weight stuff like that

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just had a quick skim through the thread (somebody PM'd me so I got curious), and I'm sorry for not clarifying at the very least. I'm not pranking you lot, I'm actually annoyed. And it's not just Dittson, it's just that the thread in general is constantly off-topic and spammy. That really wouldn't be an excuse normally but compare the Shulk thread to the K Rool or Ridley threads. The Ridley thread is also somewhat off-topic but they at least talk about Ridley and not a side-character, and when a detractor shows up they have something to talk about and debate. However, the K Rool thread is only a few pages ahead of the Shulk thread and are still very much in full discussion. It's not just Dittson, it's the way in general the thread is going. The pranking does have relevance in that it showed how far it actually went, Solfiner's little Dittson almost seems to be a more actively discussed topic than Shulk himself and while I'm sure it was only a joke on both Solfiner and KingofZeroX's parts, when I specifically asked not to have that happen I wasn't joking. I guess that got lost in the spam though.
Maybe I'll lurk a bit, and if it goes a different direction I'll join the discussion again. Maybe I'll even change my mind after I go to sleep. But right now, that's not happening.
So, to get us back on track, what moveset would like Shulk to have? I'd like to see him have a buff-based moveset. Monado Enchant could be his neutral special and would boost his attack damage, Monado Speed would be his side special and would boost his movement speed, and his down special could be Monado Shield and would reduce the amount of damage he takes. His up special could be Monado Cyclone.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Just had a quick skim through the thread (somebody PM'd me so I got curious), and I'm sorry for not clarifying at the very least. I'm not pranking you lot, I'm actually annoyed. And it's not just Dittson, it's just that the thread in general is constantly off-topic and spammy. That really wouldn't be an excuse normally but compare the Shulk thread to the K Rool or Ridley threads. The Ridley thread is also somewhat off-topic but they at least talk about Ridley and not a side-character, and when a detractor shows up they have something to talk about and debate. However, the K Rool thread is only a few pages ahead of the Shulk thread and are still very much in full discussion. It's not just Dittson, it's the way in general the thread is going. The pranking does have relevance in that it showed how far it actually went, Solfiner's little Dittson almost seems to be a more actively discussed topic than Shulk himself and while I'm sure it was only a joke on both Solfiner and KingofZeroX's parts, when I specifically asked not to have that happen I wasn't joking. I guess that got lost in the spam though.
Maybe I'll lurk a bit, and if it goes a different direction I'll join the discussion again. Maybe I'll even change my mind after I go to sleep. But right now, that's not happening.
Then I truly, genuinely apologize. All the parts I had in this fiasco, be it unknowing or knowing, I apologize.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
So, to get us back on track, what moveset would like Shulk to have? I'd like to see him have a buff-based moveset. Monado Enchant could be his neutral special and would boost his attack damage, Monado Speed would be his side special and would boost his movement speed, and his down special could be Monado Shield and would reduce the amount of damage he takes. His up special could be Monado Cyclone.
No a buff based moveset would be wierd to say the least, although monado speed could work similarly to Ike's quick draw or palutena's lightweight, and backslash could be a great down special monado cyclone could work and for neutral special, a vision could work as a counter.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I agree we did when off topic a lot, I don't know about the Dittson thing because I'm not really here in the day time but I can see that it can be really annoying. This is a Shulk thread and not a Dittson or side- character thread.

Last edited:

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Terribly sorry, I guess the hype overloaded me :(

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman

So, any one thinking about shulk's stats? His running speed, his weight stuff like that
We've talked a bit about this before, and I don't like the idea being a slow heavy hitter. In the game he's shown to be really light on his feet and agile, even when he isn't getting visions. I think that he should be quick and have quite a decent amount of damage behind his blows, but a complete lightweight. I can see him getting knocked around a lot. I know the Monado looks big and heavy, but that isn't how Shulk plays at all in the game.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
When there's a topic going on that you feel you can contribute to, do your best to stick to what's going on at the moment. Naturally, things will things will drift to another topic, and that's fine, but it can come problematic when people make a joke from a relatively serious comment, then it becomes jokes on jokes on jokes and we get lost in spam. It's perfectly fine if activity takes a slight shot because of becoming more focused. I'd much rather catch up to K. Rool with quality discussion mixed with fun rather than solely fun and hype train posts.

Basically, when things drift, go with the flow on what the new topic will be (i.e. from music to stage; stage to moveset ideas...jokes are definitely welcome, just use them in the appropriate context and not out of the blue).

Slightly above average run speed, high end of lightweight-low end of middleweight class, leans more toward being a fast-faller, solid-KO power (strength)

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
We've talked a bit about this before, and I don't like the idea being a slow heavy hitter. In the game he's shown to be really light on his feet and agile, even when he isn't getting visions. I think that he should be quick and have quite a decent amount of damage behind his blows, but a complete lightweight. I can see him getting knocked around a lot. I know the Monado looks big and heavy, but that isn't how Shulk plays at all in the game.
yea and I could also see him being a high jumper with decent falling speed

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
All this "we're going off-topic" thing makes me wonder...
Couldn't we have a group or something in which we can post our off-topic stuff? Just looking at @BluePikmin11 's profile; he/she is in 6 groups right now. That's what I mean. We would just have to ask a mod on how that works...

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So I just going to continue where I left off from last night the adventure mode thing. So after Shulk and Link team up to save Zelda they meet Rosalina and she attack them because she think that they are the cause of the mechon attacks.

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
Pranking really is just innocent fun. It happens randomly, users get surprised and they typically laugh about it, or get over it eventually. It doesn't have any major effect on one's experience on the forums though. I was just wondering if being pranked by a fellow supporter is what set him off. I dunno. And I guess I missed when the Dittson jokes started, so I don't know what effect they're having either.

I just would like to see the issue addressed and move things back to 'normal'. I'd suggest laying off on wise cracks and comments that really aren't doing much of anything at least until we're back on track here.

Nope. If we get a boss, most agree with having Metal Face.
I was gonna say the telethia and then i fought the telethia and im like nope honestly im playing xenoblade right now

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
yea and I could also see him being a high jumper with decent falling speed
I totally disagree. The jumping in Xenoblade is atrocious. He should have awful jumps, but an amazing range to make up for it.

So I just going to continue where I left off from last night the adventure mode thing. So after Shulk and Link team up to save Zelda they meet Rosalina and she attack them because she think that they are the cause of the mechon attacks.
Wait, what are you talking about? Are you talking about his trailer reveal or hypothetical cutscenes for a hypothetical adventure mode?

Last edited:

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Oohoo, story mode thoughts? I must have missed your post last night when the thread was zooming ahead and I was too impatient to try and catch up with all of the pages, so I just skipped ahead. Shulk meeting Rosalina would be interesting, especially if he found out that she's remade the universe. "Wait a second...this seems really familiar..."

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
I honestly would be SO HAPPY if we had more than 1 stage we could see in glorious high-def on the wiiu, I want to have manna forest and gaur plain/bionis leg as stages.
Also about a reveal trailer for shulk every body expects him to fight rob, but why not megaman, as he's also a popular robot character

Hokori

Great King of Evil
All this "we're going off-topic" thing makes me wonder...
Couldn't we have a group or something in which we can post our off-topic stuff? Just looking at @BluePikmin11 's profile; he/she is in 6 groups right now. That's what I mean. We would just have to ask a mod on how that works...
I'll probably start up a convo and invite the active members into the convo. If you're interested in being in it, just post on my profile and PM me and I'll add you.

I honestly would be SO HAPPY if we had more than 1 stage we could see in glorious high-def on the wiiu, I want to have manna forest and gaur plain/bionis leg as stages.
Also about a reveal trailer for shulk every body expects him to fight rob, but why not megaman, as he's also a popular robot character
As for the trailer, he really doesn't even have to fight a robotic character. Captain Falcon was kinda just tossed into the Fire Emblem trailer, so I honestly don't know what to expect at this point.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
I totally disagree. The jumping in Xenoblade is atrocious. He should have awful jumps, but an amazing range to make up for it.

Wait, what are you talking about? Are you talking about his trailer reveal or hypothetical cutscenes for a hypothetical adventure mode?
Captain falcon is in a racing game, yet he doesn't have terrible jumps like little mac, you can hardly jump in LoZ, yet link and zelda have decent jumping. But high jumps are a bit ridiculous, but he shouldn't have terrible jumpin, also I expect his range to be on par with Ike'sIke's

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That'd be cool. The trailer could start out with Ness and R.O.B. fighting, and then Shulk comes in and saves Ness.

EZ.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
I'd rather see him teaming up with Snake and fighting off a swarm of Mechon like total BA's, tbh.

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So after their fight they find out that Rosalina air ship was attack and taking over by the mechon and other sub space creatures, so they work things out and she join the group and the continue on their quest. so who do they meet next? I can't think of who they will meet right now.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Woah this thread took quite the turn while I was gone, but honestly I'm glad to see it slightly more on topic than usual. The gifs and jokes are fun/hilarious but sometimes they can be a little over whelming. I'm going to try to dig up my really long move set/ Xenoblade related stuff in Smash post from somewhere in this thread and repost it to spur more discussion. It kind of got glossed over amidst the hype. Maybe going back to square one and reposting/discussing all of our full fledged personal move sets would be a good idea.

ZXMechonHunter

Smash Journeyman
This talk of story mode is really making me wish Sakurai takes back what he said about cutscenes and makes the Wii U's exclusive mode a good version of subspace.
Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, all in a cinematic cutscene. Life would equal made. But as I've said before, I think there'd be an overload of bada**ery if Samus and Shulk teamed up, blasting and smashing mechon and space pirates together. Then Mega Man gets caught up in all of it, and he and Samus have a gunner-off(?) and Shulk just sorta sits there. Like the Meta Knight vs. Lucario one in Brawl, Ice Climbers just sorta watched. Then the three team up and that's like three of my favorite things right there. I can be like a 12 year old when listing all these what-if scenarios like they're the most epic thing ever. Which they would be.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

A adventure mode just because I think we may have one but more interactive than the one in brawl, and I also think many people made a lot of trailer reveals already.

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
Titan's leaving?! B-but, who's gonna put Hade's head on other people?! Who's gonna compete to post Chuggaa's lp?! It was... your life's purpose... *sniff*
Man, this thread isn't going to be the same without him...
But, as much as I hate to admit it, he raises valid points. It was fun while it lasted, and this thread has made me laugh harder than I have in a long time, but I suppose Dittson and co. will have to be retired until we get a subforum, I, too, apologize for any part I had in this.

So, on that note, I saw an idea for a buff-based moveset that sounds interesting. Also, the trailer should have swarms of R.O.B.s.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Needs to top Robin's, that for sure. How should we do dat?
We have no influence over how trailers are presented and its contents unfortunately.

This talk of story mode is really making me wish Sakurai takes back what he said about cutscenes and makes the Wii U's exclusive mode a good version of subspace.
Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, all in a cinematic cutscene. Life would equal made. But as I've said before, I think there'd be an overload of bada**ery if Samus and Shulk teamed up, blasting and smashing mechon and space pirates together. Then Mega Man gets caught up in all of it, and he and Samus have a gunner-off(?) and Shulk just sorta sits there. Like the Meta Knight vs. Lucario one in Brawl, Ice Climbers just sorta watched. Then the three team up and that's like three of my favorite things right there. I can be like a 12 year old when listing all these what-if scenarios like they're the most epic thing ever. Which they would be.
Although we're not having anything to the extent of SSE, I'm sure we'll have treats in store for us. Something about Sakurai and the team putting so much work into these trailers and their presentation gives me hope for some similar things in-game. Maybe we could get that kind of stuff sprinkled in some Event Matches.

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Oh my holy hell yes! I wish so badly that Sakurai was just psyching us out when he said that. I didn't even realize until very recently that the Subspace Emissary's gameplay is, well, a little lackluster, just because I had so much fun finding all the characters and getting to see the cutscenes myself. I think he's really not viewing people putting the cutscenes up on Youtube correctly, I can guarantee you that almost no one bought Brawl just because of Subspace. They bought it because it's a damn good fighting game. And to see it become a damn good fighting game with a damn good story mode (with both awesome cutscenes and gameplay sections) would just make me the happiest little Skittle. (AhAAAA I rhymed.)

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I'll probably start up a convo and invite the active members into the convo. If you're interested in being in it, just post on my profile and PM me and I'll add you.
Very cool! I just can't go on your profile page when you don't follow me. I'll just send you a friend request. Why not.

D

Deleted member

Needs to top Robin's, that for sure. How should we do dat?
I have this trailer in my mind where we see a green open field with the Monado (basically, it's the game's title screen). The main theme to Xenoblade is playing in the background for a few seconds. Then it cuts as Shulk gets a vision of Bowser attacking him. Shulk sees Bowser and uses Monado Buster on him.
The screen splashes with "Shulk Engages the Enemy!" and You Will Know Our Names is playing in the background. Just like the Palutena and Robin trailers, the party members in Xenoblade explain all of Shulk's mechanics in Smash since Xenoblade is dialogue heavy like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening. The middle of the trailer has Shulk using his Monado Arts while the ending showcases a Chain Attack Final Smash.
Shulk then swings his sword and says, "Behold the power of the Monado!" The game's logo comes up and the trailer ends with Shulk putting the Monado down saying "Piece of cake!"

Last edited by a moderator:

zippy3214

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see that we're getting back into a more pleasant mood, let's try to keep this up till Shulk's announced!
Maybe it could start of by megaman and ike fighting, then shulk comes in thinking he's a faced mechon and starts fighting him
I don't think Shulk would mistake Mega Man as a faced Mechon, he has too much of a humanoid appearance. It's possible, but I don't think it's likely.

Hype Train

Woolly World hype!!
NNID
YesMann
3DS FC
0860-3788-1263
A adventure mode just because I think we may have one but more interactive than the one in brawl, and I also think many people made a lot of trailer reveals already.
That's what I thought you meant, but we already know there won't been an adventure mode like Brawl this time around. Is this just for fun?

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Titan's leaving?! B-but, who's gonna put Hade's head on other people?! Who's gonna compete to post Chuggaa's lp?! It was... your life's purpose... *sniff*
Man, this thread isn't going to be the same without him...
But, as much as I hate to admit it, he raises valid points. It was fun while it lasted, and this thread has made me laugh harder than I have in a long time, but I suppose Dittson and co. will have to be retired until we get a subforum, I, too, apologize for any part I had in this.

So, on that note, I saw an idea for a buff-based moveset that sounds interesting. Also, the trailer should have swarms of R.O.B.s.
I see no reason why Dittson and co. should be retired. Used a little more sparinglly? Probably. Put away for good? No. Calm down guys, we know we've been a little too off-topic lately, and we can remedy this without taking away the silly stuff entirely.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I have this trailer in my mind where we see a green open field with the Monado (basically, it's the game's title screen). The main theme to Xenoblade is playing in the background for a few seconds. Then it cuts as Shulk gets a vision of Bowser attacking him. Shulk sees Bowser and uses Monado Buster on him.
The screen splashes with "Shulk Engages the Enemy!" and You Will Know Our Names is playing in the background. Just like the Palutena and Robin trailers, the party members in Xenoblade explain all of Shulk's mechanics in Smash since Xenoblade is dialogue heavy like Kid Icarus: Uprising and Fire Emblem: Awakening. The middle of the trailer has Shulk using his Monado Arts while the ending showcases a Chain Attack Final Smash. Shulk then swings his sword and says, "Behold the power of the Monado!"
The game's logo comes up and the trailer ends with Shulk putting the Monado down saying "Piece of cake!"
This would be so awesome. This would also be perfect to announce voice actor changes for the final versions. I want my Kenneth James Bowser :smirk: Also, YWKON and Chain Attack FS :eek: And a great way to start things off, too!

SpindaMaster

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3136-6569-2540
I saw on that leak compilation theory thing thread on of the original leakers said this:
Saw something that needs clarification:

Regarding Shulk's "Five modes", I wouldn't be too hung up on the number. In context, it was said almost as if it was an exaggeration. Sort of like a "he's got a million moves!" type of situation.
I find this a bit relieving (assuming it's real).

Last edited:

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
I thought of a potential moveset for shulk

Neutral special, vision of the future: a counter attack simililar to Ike's
Side special: Monado buster: a chargeable attack that gets longer and more powerful the longer it's charged
Down special: backslash has more knockback and damage from behind
Up special:monado cyclone: pretty much links spin attack from melee
Up smash: shulk slashes upward (so original
Sidesmash: stream edge
Down smash: shaker edge(slow but stuns enemy's)
Jumping 6/10
Walking 5/10
Running 8/10
Weight 4/10
Attack priority medium-high
Shulk 4 god tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom