• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250
Also, off-topic, but I was really hoping for Shulk on the fourteenth. I was REALLY surprised when they revealed Robin and Lucina. And on the topic of why Captain Falcon was in that trailer, it was probably because the newcomers came from FIRE Emblem, and Captain Falcon uses FIRE in his attacks.
No, I think it had to do with F-Zero's and FE's anniversaries being near each other or something like that. Hence my predecition for NessTwoShulk.

Last edited:

Mechonis

Smash Journeyman
Thinking about the travel idea people have suggested for a stage... maybe while you know what is moving around, you can enter inside of it like the house/mansion. Not sure if you'd be able to get knocked through the roof/jump through it though while inside.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Of all the wanted newcomers, I actually think shulk has the highest potential of getting in, he has a very diverse gameplay in xenoblade chronicles and it could also introduce the series to American nintendo fans like ness did in 64
Well, it's a bit different. Xenoblade Chronicles got pushed to the states before an appearance from Shulk was made rather than characters like Ness, Marth and Roy appearing, people like them, then pushing their games to the states from there. The campaign for Xenoblade did help Shulk's chances a lot though.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about the travel idea people have suggested for a stage... maybe while you know what is moving around, you can enter inside of it like the house/mansion. Not sure if you'd be able to get knocked through the roof/jump through it though while inside.
Im hoping for the stage to have a hazard like a telethia or a face mechon or stampeding arduns

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hey guys, have you seen this leak?

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ninka-vaanrose-leak-discussion-theory.362684/

Says that Shulk will be in the game, and his neutral b is that it changes the Monado's symbol, changing his physics (I.E. deals more damage but takes more damage, deals less damage but takes less damage, etc.) Apparently there are like 5 symbols. Seems pretty cool. Also says that Ice Climbers, Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are cut, and our remaining newcomers are Shulk, Bowser Jr. (who fights in a Kart? Was explained more like the Clown Car he rides in NSMB), Duck Hunt Dog, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as clones, Ridley, Chorus Men, and Dixie Kong. Mewtwo is returning. This leak is backed up from 2-3 sources, it's really interesting.

Not saying you should 100% believe it, but it's interesting to say the least.

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
So where did I left off.
Shulk save Link and the mechon defeat Rosalina and the the face machon capture Rosalina. Link and Shulk try to fight the face machon but the face machon flies away and then Link and Shulk come across a bridge and a cave they hear a voice in the cave, they can cross the bridge and continue on the path to save Rosalina or go into the cave to see where the voice is coming from.

Hokori

Great King of Evil

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ninka-vaanrose-leak-discussion-theory.362684/

Says that Shulk will be in the game, and his neutral b is that it changes the Monado's symbol, changing his physics (I.E. deals more damage but takes more damage, deals less damage but takes less damage, etc.) Apparently there are like 5 symbols. Seems pretty cool. Also says that Ice Climbers, Snake, Lucas, Wolf, Ivysaur, and Squirtle are cut, and our remaining newcomers are Shulk, Bowser Jr. (who fights in a Kart? Was explained more like the Clown Car he rides in NSMB), Duck Hunt Dog, Dark Pit and Dr. Mario as clones, Ridley, Chorus Men, and Dixie Kong. Mewtwo is returning. This leak is backed up from 2-3 sources, it's really interesting.

Yeah, we discussed it a few pages back (well, it might be more than just a few...I almost forgot how quickly things progress around here). Although I never really care for leaks, nor have much to say about them, again, it can make you feel really good and borderline comfortable having your most desired character featured on all of the 'major' leaks.

SamTheMan711

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, we discussed it a few pages back (well, it might be more than just a few...I almost forgot how quickly things progress around here). Although I never really care for leaks, nor have much to say about them, again, it can make you feel really good and borderline comfortable having your most desired character featured on all of the 'major' leaks.
Example A: Gematsu

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, just kind of threw that Snake bit in at the last second. The alternate ending would be the logo appears, and afterwards Shulk is helping Ness and Lucas up, and then Reyn busts in saying, "Now it's Reyn Time!" and then Shulk says, "You're a bit late Reyn", to which he replies, "awwwww" Then, like in Robin's trailer, The cheap text and gameplay appears, saying, "no he isn't" showing he's a part of Shulk's Final Smash, along with Fiora, with the three of them doing a chain attack. Either that or there's a Reyn assist trophy.
You're on a roll with all these super cool ideas. I demand more!

Enyalb

Hardcore Wonder-Casual Dragoon
NNID
BLAYNEproject
3DS FC
5300-9911-6250

I don't know, stance change seems cool if the footage does it justice in the trailer, Ice Climbers getting cut is unlikely, Bowser Jr. sounds way too gimmicky, Duck Hunt Dog would be the biggest WTF since WFT, Dark Pit maybe since we do have Lucina, Dr. Mario is pointless to bring back at this point, Ridley is too big:troll:, Chorus Men would have a chance for a new rep, and Dixie is just kinda there.

Sure it's backed up, but I still find this really obscure.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't know, stance change seems cool if the footage does it justice in the trailer, Ice Climbers getting cut is unlikely, Bowser Jr. sounds way too gimmicky, Duck Hunt Dog would be the biggest WTF since WFT, Dark Pit maybe since we do have Lucina, Dr. Mario is pointless to bring back at this point, Ridley is too big:troll:, Chorus Men would have a chance for a new rep, and Dixie is just kinda there.

Sure it's backed up, but I still find this really obscure.
Yeah, we won't know until release, but hey, it's just something to think about as we get more info. Also, a stance change Shulk would be AMAZING! And if that's just his neutral B, I wonder what his other special attacks could be. It's a lot different than the moveset ideas usually thrown around for Shulk, but it's quickly become my most favorite.

You're on a roll with all these super cool ideas. I demand more!
Oh gosh, well, the Shulk trailer is really the only trailer I've given extensive thought to, I guess I could maybe do other characters. Any suggestions? I could maybe do one for Lloyd? I don't know. One of the major reasons I was able to do Shulk is because I know so much about the character. (I've played Xenoblade, read a lot about it online, watched a good amount of gameplay videos) I couldn't really replicate the quality with a character I know little about like Isaac or Krystal. I guess I have a decent idea for a Paper Mario/Ridley trailer. If you guys want me to post I guess I could get to it eventually.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, we won't know until release, but hey, it's just something to think about as we get more info. Also, a stance change Shulk would be AMAZING! And if that's just his neutral B, I wonder what his other special attacks could be. It's a lot different than the moveset ideas usually thrown around for Shulk, but it's quickly become my most favorite
I've said this before, but I feel as though his specials will revolve around Monado Arts while SAs, titls, and aerials will feature more Normal Arts. I do notice that people are alreay starting to warm up to the Stance Change concept though.

I guess I have a decent idea for a Paper Mario/Ridley trailer. If you guys want me to post I guess I could get to it eventually.
That would probably be more appropriate to share in those characters' respective support threads since I'm sure they'd appreciate your input the most regarding their character :)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I've said this before, but I feel as though his specials will revolve around Monado Arts while SAs, titls, and aerials will feature more Normal Arts. I do notice that people are alreay starting to warm up to the Stance Change concept though.

That would probably be more appropriate to share in those characters respective support threads since I'm sure they'd appreciate your input the most regarding their character :)
Yeah, if I do I'll post there. It'd be so horribly off topic here. So, if you wanna see that idea, go look at the Ridley and Paper Mario threads, because I'll be posting it to both eventually.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I wonder what's wrong with me that a stance change Shulk sounds very unappealing. Maybe it's because his Normal Arts really aren't anything too special or visually distinct from normal sword slashes so I just find it more interesting to have all his specials, as well as some standard attacks, be Monado Arts.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I wonder what's wrong with me that a stance change Shulk sounds very unappealing. Maybe it's because his Normal Arts really aren't anything too special or visually distinct from normal sword slashes so I just find it more interesting to have all his specials, as well as some standard attacks, be Monado Arts.
Nothing's wrong with you, friend. Mainly it's just stemming from the possibilities of it happening based upon a leak, so I guess people are just to brace themselves in case it really ends up being the case?

Regardless, I'm with you on wanting his specials to feature Monado Arts. Basically, all Arts that can be applied to his moveset and would make sense, I would like to see it happen.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
Guys, wouldn't using a "stance" mechanic for Shulk not only contradict his in-game playstyle, but also what Sakurai said he wanted in Smash? He separated all of the"transformation" characters. Stances could be seen as transformations, and that would, again, contradict what Sakurai's already said. I believe that at most, Shulk's specials will play like Robin's: they change, but not his entire moveset. Like, I don't think he would get faster or stronger depending on what you use with him.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I don't buy it. Too many odd things about it.

I pretty much take all leaks with a grain of salt. Hasn't let me down yet.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I'm amped for what we will get for the rest of this weeks POTD mario stage got me hyped for bigger better things

MegaLagann

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaLagann
I'm amped for what we will get for the rest of this weeks POTD mario stage got me hyped for bigger better things
"When the dogs and cats are out playing, Alfonzo will take over as the family pet. Leave it to me!"
"Here's a picture of Rosalina filing her taxes. Notice the quality facial expressions. What else is she hiding"
"My name is KOSMOS, and I come to help my fellow Namco fighter Pac Man. Get in my way and you'll be sorry (F.Y.I I'm a assist trophy)

And then pics of Shulk after he gets revealed on Friday's Direct. Please...

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Guys, wouldn't using a "stance" mechanic for Shulk not only contradict his in-game playstyle, but also what Sakurai said he wanted in Smash? He separated all of the"transformation" characters. Stances could be seen as transformations, and that would, again, contradict what Sakurai's already said. I believe that at most, Shulk's specials will play like Robin's: they change, but not his entire moveset. Like, I don't think he would get faster or stronger depending on what you use with him.
IDK. I think Sakurai meant characters shouldn't have two completely different movesets linked by a Final Smash/Special Move, and that technically a move that alters a characters physics mid-battle is ok, but I don't know.

Am I Sakurai? I wish. But I'm not. I'm just sayin' I like it, I think it's a good idea. But that's just me.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
Don't hold your breath. We could just get filler for the rest of the week. :p

But, yeah, the Monado Arts could work in a similar fashion to Robin's spells and be totally fine. Though, the more I think about it, I can't convince myself of how a Vision-focused Final Smash would work. :/ Too many variables. We'll probably just get Chain Attack, which I'm okay with.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I got Greninja'd :p

Anyways, this is how I could see Shulk's trailer(very similar to the above quote):

The trailer starts with Ness and Lucas getting thrown around, like the start of Lucina's trailer. Lucas is cowering behind Ness, who's still standing somehow. You get a glimpse of who they're fighting, none other than Mewtwo. He even has a newcomer tagline "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" The entire scene has a bluish tint to it, however, it's so minor that only people in fullscreen with good eyes can see it. We see some gameplay of Mewtwo, and then it's back to the CGI. Mewtwo unleashes an attack that finishes Ness and Lucas off, then the screen fades to black. At this point, most viewers are going, "WTF?" Then, the same scenario plays again. Ness and Lucas get knocked around, Mewtwo, etc. Except, this time, when Mewtwo goes to finish them off, a yellow aura envelops them, shielding them from the blow. Mewtwo, confused, looks around, only to narrowly dodge two green slash marks. A shadowy figure appears in the sky, and you hear the words, "Monado...BUSTER!" As the Monado narrowly misses Mewtwo, who dodges out of the way at the last second. Shulk lands on the ground, stands up, and his newcomer tagline appears: "Shulk sees his way into battle!" or, as previously suggested (and way better) "Shulk engages the enemy!" We then cut to gameplay footage. Shulk has a powerful moves, including Monado Buster(Neutral B), Monado Purge(Side B), Monado Shield(Down B), and Monado Cyclone. He has two special mechanics. His Smash Attacks are Stream Edge(Side Smash), Air Slash(Up Smash), and Shaker Edge(Down Smash). If you use Air Slash or Stream Edge on an opponent, they get Break, this lasts for about a minute. In this time, if you hit them with Monado Cyclone, they get toppled(The tripping animation), follow this up with Shaker Edge and they get dazed(The animation that happens when your shield breaks or you get hit with a Deku Nut). He'd also have a tension system. His character portrait in battle changes based on the amount of hits he gets in on his opponent/how many times he gets hit. Get a good combo going on your opponent, you do more damage, your opponent gets a good combo going on you, you do less damage. Keep a somewhat even ratio of hits between you and your opponent, and you won't be affected much. Anyways, the gameplay portion ends, and the logo appears. Afterwards, you see Shulk helping Ness and Lucas up, his eyes turn blue, and he drags both Ness and Lucas back as the ground they used to be standing on explodes. Shulk looks up, and the camera pans to none other than Snake. "Snake blows up the competition!" The screen then fades to black, with no gameplay of Snake.

How's that?
Very nice, very creative. As I was reading, I could easily picture the events unfolding. Lol, it's almost like the experience of watching a reveal trailer. When I concluded upon Shulk's reveal, the line "Shulk sees his way into battle!" was just perfect.

Tbh, I encourage you to develop this out even more, specifically the cutscene/trailer part. I like the moveset ideas too but it's the cutscene part that really got to me. Maybe you could go into some detail about the setting. I guess I used the same setting as the Fire Emblem trailer when imagining it, but dw, this didn't take away much. A nice setting could be the setting of the cutscene in subspace emissary with ness/lucas/pkmn trainer.

One thing I don't really understand is the blue tint. Is this due to the glow of the activated monado, or suppose to be because of it being one of Shulk's visions? I kind of assumed the former when reading/imagining.

One of the reasons I am bringing up the setting is that it offers a reason for why those specific non-Shulk characters are in the trailer. It kind of seems, at the moment, that the characters used in the trailer idea could be cut out and replaced with other characters with very minor changes to the storyline. Whether you intended for this or not, I think a good setting would help to establish those specific characters into the story.

idk if you were looking for criticism or not, but dw, my criticism has no intent other than to be constructive. I usually avoid conflict, so for me to give criticism is a little strange. The thing is, I had the thought that this is probably the best Shulk trailer idea I've seen and I think you could easily turn it into a masterpiece. It also seems to me like you had an enjoyable time writing this, so maybe you should consider trying your hand at doing some more creative writing? You might find that it puts you in a content state of mind. (lol sorry if I'm peering too much into this)

Also, you may have just encouraged me to get back into writing creatively.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm warming up to Stance Shulk if it's Sakurai's way of allowing you to actually wield the Monado in-process of using the different arts.

They do technically change it.

- Purge makes it green
-Shield makes it yellow
-Eater makes it...red? I can't remember.

Etc. I could see Sakurai working with that, and still giving Shulk Backslash and other stuff. Still, it's such a weird choice, why not just make Ganondorf the Stance character?

If it's true, I'm sure it'll be fine, though.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Just had a quick skim through the thread (somebody PM'd me so I got curious), and I'm sorry for not clarifying at the very least. I'm not pranking you lot, I'm actually annoyed. And it's not just Dittson, it's just that the thread in general is constantly off-topic and spammy. That really wouldn't be an excuse normally but compare the Shulk thread to the K Rool or Ridley threads. The Ridley thread is also somewhat off-topic but they at least talk about Ridley and not a side-character, and when a detractor shows up they have something to talk about and debate. However, the K Rool thread is only a few pages ahead of the Shulk thread and are still very much in full discussion. It's not just Dittson, it's the way in general the thread is going. The pranking does have relevance in that it showed how far it actually went, Solfiner's little Dittson almost seems to be a more actively discussed topic than Shulk himself and while I'm sure it was only a joke on both Solfiner and KingofZeroX's parts, when I specifically asked not to have that happen I wasn't joking. I guess that got lost in the spam though.
Maybe I'll lurk a bit, and if it goes a different direction I'll join the discussion again. Maybe I'll even change my mind after I go to sleep. But right now, that's not happening.
Just got back from work to see this. And yeah, what you said kind of got lost in the spam :( Once again Titan, I'm very sorry it got to that point and I know I didn't help with the pranking. In recompense, I shall change my title to something more fitting and, from now on, dedicate my entire being to keeping this thread on topic as much as possible. In retrospect, it's also annoying the way we tend to get spammy and actually caused me, for long periods of time, to leave the thread. We can still discuss and debate things because there are many possibilities we haven't yet considered. If the Ridley thread can keep going with debate, then so can we.

If you don't decide to come back, then thanks for everything, Titan. Your gifs made us laugh, and your departing left us a lesson.

If you do decide to come back, then we'll do our best to be a better thread. That's all I can promise.

Edit: Changed my avatar too.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I'm warming up to Stance Shulk if it's Sakurai's way of allowing you to actually wield the Monado in-process of using the different arts.

They do technically change it.

- Purge makes it green
-Shield makes it yellow
-Eater makes it...red? I can't remember.

Etc. I could see Sakurai working with that, and still giving Shulk Backslash and other stuff. Still, it's such a weird choice, why not just make Ganondorf the Stance character?

If it's true, I'm sure it'll be fine, though.
So what you're saying is that because the Monado's beam changes color when he uses various attacks, that that color could persist and change the effects of the Monado on various enemies?

It's an interesting idea, but I would still like to point out that I don't trust the leak.
Just had a quick skim through the thread (somebody PM'd me so I got curious), and I'm sorry for not clarifying at the very least. I'm not pranking you lot, I'm actually annoyed. And it's not just Dittson, it's just that the thread in general is constantly off-topic and spammy. That really wouldn't be an excuse normally but compare the Shulk thread to the K Rool or Ridley threads. The Ridley thread is also somewhat off-topic but they at least talk about Ridley and not a side-character, and when a detractor shows up they have something to talk about and debate. However, the K Rool thread is only a few pages ahead of the Shulk thread and are still very much in full discussion. It's not just Dittson, it's the way in general the thread is going. The pranking does have relevance in that it showed how far it actually went, Solfiner's little Dittson almost seems to be a more actively discussed topic than Shulk himself and while I'm sure it was only a joke on both Solfiner and KingofZeroX's parts, when I specifically asked not to have that happen I wasn't joking. I guess that got lost in the spam though.
Maybe I'll lurk a bit, and if it goes a different direction I'll join the discussion again. Maybe I'll even change my mind after I go to sleep. But right now, that's not happening.
Thank-you for having the courage to say this. I'm sure that many would agree with you; in fact, it's all very clear to me now. Going for this are those abandon thread gifs (joking but at the same time not) that were posted a while ago, several complaints by Shulk supporters to progress the thread from its spammy state (including a mod), and now the amount of likes your post has received.

When I envisioned this thread's future during MonadoMonday, I did not at all hope for the spamminess I've seen over these last couple of weeks. However, I think that your post may be the point at which this thread turns around. We still have 9 weeks until the release of Smash bros, so it's definitely not too late.

I no longer think that the reason for the spam is due to an incapability to produce good content. Now, I think that it has more to do with trying to receive likes, which tbh, is the reason why I'm not a big fan of forums incorporating these likes systems anyways. People get caught up in it.

Last edited:

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
It's a bit difficult to find topics that haven't been discussed, until new info (even a leak) comes out. I suppose the least we can do is go back to something that hasn't been discussed as recently so we can engage new supporters in a discussion that would be new to them? I can't think of anything though.

Unless...when did we last discuss...yeah, can't think of anything. We've discussed everything to death, and recently. I mean, stages, items, music, Assist Trophies, taunts, entry animation, victory screen, the mode-change leak, reveal trailer, alt costumes...we have all the bases covered. Kinda frustrating, because I want to have a new topic to discuss. We really need some kind of new information, and quickly.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So what you're saying is that because the Monado's beam changes color when he uses various attacks, that that color could persist and change the effects of the Monado on various enemies?

It's an interesting idea, but I would still like to point out that I don't trust the leak.

Thank-you for having the courage to say this. I'm sure that many would agree with you; in fact, it's all very clear to me now. Going for this are those abandon thread gifs (joking but at the same time not) that were posted a while ago, several complaints by Shulk supporters to progress the thread from its spammy state (including a mod), and now the amount of likes your post has received.

When I envisioned this thread's future during MonadoMonday, I did not at all hope for the spamminess I've seen over these last couple of weeks. However, I think that your post may be the point at which this thread turns around. We still have 9 weeks until the release of Smash bros, so it's definitely not too late.

I no longer think that the reason for the spam is due to an incapability to produce good content. Now, I think that it has more to do with trying to receive likes, which tbh, is the reason why I'm not a big fan of forums incorporating these likes systems anyways. People get caught up in it.
Well, I can see where you are coming from, but in my case I genuinly have nothing left to discuss.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
So, I know we've talked about this music before, but do you guys want to start a list of songs you want to play on the Wii U stage and see if we can get that added to the OP? Not every Xenoblade song, but several, including arrangements. We can start a list up and then add to it every now and then.

Also, we need to consider possible events (since I can't see them eliminating event mode) that feature Shulk. Any ideas people?

Edit: One possible event could be Shulk versus Mega Man, R.O.B. (if he's confirmed), and Meta Knight (if he's confirmed). It could be titled "Fight the... Mechon?!" and then have a small description talking about Shulk's frantic state at seeing all these characters, even going so far as to mistake Meta Knight as one.

Last edited:

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Thanks, just kind of threw that Snake bit in at the last second. The alternate ending would be the logo appears, and afterwards Shulk is helping Ness and Lucas up, and then Reyn busts in saying, "Now it's Reyn Time!" and then Shulk says, "You're a bit late Reyn", to which he replies, "awwwww" Then, like in Robin's trailer, The cheap text and gameplay appears, saying, "no he isn't" showing he's a part of Shulk's Final Smash, along with Fiora, with the three of them doing a chain attack. Either that or there's a Reyn assist trophy.
I really hope that Reyn is present in one way or another. Assist Trophy or Final Smash would be great, but on the other hand we can always hope that Xenoblade pulls a Fire Emblem and gets two newcomers from a new series. :D

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I don't really trust the leak either, but yeah, you basically got it. I'm not sure if I'd follow up by having it also do things like:

- Eater Mode does damage over time with normal attacks (+Normal Attack Damage/-Defense for Shulk)
- Shield Mode absorbs x amount of damage from special moves (+Special Attack Defense/-Sp. Attack Damage for Shulk)
-Armor Mode absorbs x amount of damage from normal moves (+Defense/-Normal Attack Damage)
- Purge Mode...well, all the uses I'd want for purge don't really work for a "mode".

The more I think about this, the dumber it sounds. It sounds not only unfitting for Shulk, but more like Pokemon mechanics, and completely overcomplicated/not very Smash Bros.-y. (It also sounds super OP with or without my additions.)

Edit: In fact, come to think of it, how could you even get 5 completely different stances if they're two stats each? There's... +Attack/-Def, +Def/-Attack, +Speed/-Attack, +Def/-Speed, +Attack/-Speed...and +Speed/-Def. That's not 5. And also wouldn't make sense to have 5 different stances that are dichotomous. Something would get left out. Also, it sounds really dull and uninspired. Basically, there isn't a single thing right about it, and Sakurai's never done that with a moveset for a popular newcomer before. Even Mewtwo's and Ike's made more sense than this...

It just makes it sound like the leaker has zero idea how Xenoblade actually works, and wanted to state what they thought was obvious. "Magitech sword? Different colors/symbols? Those must be modes or some ****. Yeah!"

If it's real, which I doubt, I'm going to be very confused with Sakurai, and why there weren't Monolith Soft people, who'd I imagine he'd ask to help with Shulk's moveset, slapping him in the face.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I don't really trust the leak either, but yeah, you basically got it. I'm not sure if I'd follow up by having it also do things like:

- Eater Mode does damage over time with normal attacks (+Normal Attack Damage/-Defense for Shulk)
- Shield Mode absorbs x amount of damage from special moves (+Special Attack Defense/-Sp. Attack Damage for Shulk)
-Armor Mode absorbs x amount of damage from normal moves (+Defense/-Normal Attack Damage)
- Purge Mode...well, all the uses I'd want for purge don't really work for a "mode".

The more I think about this, the dumber it sounds. It sounds not only unfitting for Shulk, but more like Pokemon mechanics, and completely overcomplicated/not very Smash Bros.-y. (It also sounds super OP with or without my additions.)

Edit: In fact, come to think of it, how could you even get 5 completely different stances if they're two stats each? There's... +Attack/-Def, +Def/-Attack, +Speed/-Attack, +Def/-Speed, +Attack/-Speed...and +Speed/-Def. That's not 5. And also wouldn't make sense to have 5 different stances that are dichotomous. Something would get left out. Also, it sounds really dull and uninspired. Basically, there isn't a single thing right about it, and Sakurai's never done that with a moveset for a popular newcomer before. Even Mewtwo's and Ike's made more sense than this...

It just makes it sound like the leaker has zero idea how Xenoblade actually works, and wanted to state what they thought was obvious. "Magitech sword? Different colors/symbols? Those must be modes or some ****. Yeah!"

If it's real, which I doubt, I'm going to be very confused with Sakurai, and why there weren't Monolith Soft people, who'd I imagine he'd ask to help with Shulk's moveset, slapping him in the face.
Yes, this leak is just stupid. Not believable at all.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
So, I know we've talked about this music before, but do you guys want to start a list of songs you want to play on the Wii U stage and see if we can get that added to the OP? Not every Xenoblade song, but several, including arrangements. We can start a list up and then add to it every now and then.

Also, we need to consider possible events (since I can't see them eliminating event mode) that feature Shulk. Any ideas people?

Edit: One possible event could be Shulk versus Mega Man, R.O.B. (if he's confirmed), and Meta Knight (if he's confirmed). It could be titled "Fight the... Mechon?!" and then have a small description talking about Shulk's frantic state at seeing all these characters, even going so far as to mistake Meta Knight as one.
Yeah, sure. As long as it doesn't develop into "the whole OST".

MUSIC:
Original:
You Will Know Our Names
Gaur Plains (Day/Night)
One Who Gets in Our Way
Central Factory
To the Last Battle

Arrangements:
Time to Fight!
Riki, the Legendary Heropon
Zanza
Mechonis Field
Tragic Decision

Pretty sure I'm just copying everyone else, but:
EVENTS:
Shulk vs. ≥1 Palutena (and maybe Pit?)
Because "world with no need for gods". For some reason people wanted Rosalina in this? I don't know.
Shulk vs. Mega Man, R.O.B. (if confirmed) (and Meta-Knight if you like). (Mechon)
Shulk vs. Lucina, Robin (Both sides fighting to change the future. Possibly play as Lucina or Robin and make CPU Shulk OP.)

Last edited:

Link_enfant

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one tired of the stupid argument of "there are too many sword users already !" ?
I was just watching a video showing the pros and cons for Shulk in Smash 4, and it came again.
Now, I'm just wondering : what the hell is wrong with another sword user (which would make a total of 7 if Meta Knight's back according to the video), if the other 35+ characters are regular fighters/shooters ? Please ! Why can't they think about it at least a little before saying that argument over and over ? And I'm not even talking about the fact that Shulk would be quite a different sword user since the Monado is so special and all. He'd still be a "sword user" anyway, my question is just… What's wrong about that ?
What do you think about it ?

Everest

Smash Cadet
What about a colony 9 stage with the mechon attacking it in the background?
This could be great, I love the colony 9 music btw. Given how big colony 9 is, the stage could also be something like delphino plaza with many locations.

But xenoblade has too many great locations (Gaur plaind, Eryth sea, sword valley...) to be represented by just one stage in my opinion

Theotakugirl9

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one tired of the stupid argument of "there are too many sword users already !" ?
I was just watching a video showing the pros and cons for Shulk in Smash 4, and it came again.
Now, I'm just wondering : what the hell is wrong with another sword user (which would make a total of 7 if Meta Knight's back according to the video), if the other 35+ characters are regular fighters/shooters ? Please ! Why can't they think about it at least a little before saying that argument over and over ? And I'm not even talking about the fact that Shulk would be quite a different sword user since the Monado is so special and all. He'd still be a "sword user" anyway, my question is just… What's wrong about that ?
i dont think there is anything wrong with more sword users plus shulk could have such a unique moveset but a lot of people pushing him aside and say oh its just another sword user ive seen other arguments also against him but in reality there arent THAT many sword users in super smash bros a lot of people are against shulk for one other reason that i dont understand its because they wanted chrom and because chrom didnt get in then shulk shouldnt have a chance its kinda weird to me i have nothing against chrom really but i didnt want him in because hes just another marth clone but shulk could be a new unique fighter with a unique moveset

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Don't worry to much about it, we've all concluded that it's dumb. It's not entirely applicable to Shulk because he has so much else going for him.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
It's bs. There's no quota on how many sword fighters the game can have. Sakurai's biggest concern is if a character can separate themselves from other characters, which Shulk can. People who use the "too many sword-wielders" argument are blatantly ignorant, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom