• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
so...is there anyway to...
fix a wobbly stiq
make the buttons more button-y

yes!, ur avatar looks familiar....what is it?

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
Well I just started my controller 30 mins ago, I am on my second coat, its nothing too special *** im just testing out this colour on one of my crappy controllers to see if I will like it. If I do like the colour I will probabley do it on one of my good controllers and paint all the buttons black. :chuckle:
painting buttons all black dont really work unless you did a really really good job sanding/spray painting them... the paint gets scratched off because of the friction :ohwell:

piZ

Smash Journeyman
piZ, what type of paint did you use?
I thought i linked it..

I'll edit this post when i find the link again. :)

----

Pew pew.

This is what i used.

No primer needed so it was great.. Chipping will occur if you don't do enough coats and you might want to sand it down a bit after to give it a nice feel, but either way just play it by ear when you're doing it.

Turquoise

Smash Rookie
I'm really liking the idea of painting my controller, but I'm not so sure about sanding it. My hands sweat like crazy when I play, and I really need the texture of the controller. Does sanding it make it much more smooth?

EDIT: Also, I read on some site that if you want to use "plastic paint" on a dark color plastic, you first have to paint it with white "plastic paint" first. Is that true?

Sudai

Stuff here
Sanding it removes the color from the plastic. The coats of paint should add back to the texture.

The ammount of clear coats you put on it will also effect how smooth it is.

Worst comes to worst you can use the sandpaper on the clearcoat to add some roughness to it, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Turquoise

Smash Rookie
Sanding it removes the color from the plastic. The coats of paint should add back to the texture.

The ammount of clear coats you put on it will also effect how smooth it is.

Worst comes to worst you can use the sandpaper on the clearcoat to add some roughness to it, but I wouldn't suggest it.
Okay! Turns out my touch memory is non-existant; my controller is smooth anyway, so no worries. Thanks. :)

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I've already paintedone of my controllers, but it didn't turn out so awesome. Maybe it's because i didn't use sandpaper or primer (technically I used the Krylon paint that doesn't need primer). But I was wondering:
1) Does the spray paint get too thick after coats?
2) Does the paint smudge easily?
3) Has anyone successfully used a stencil on a controller?
*edit*
4)Is it possible to sand the color off of my original painted controller? I would like to start it over again.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
zKilla

1) Does the spray paint get too thick after coats?
A: you should be fine as long as you do consistent even coverage while painting. the trick is doing it thin layer by thing layer. don't get cocky and try to do too much paint @ once. only a fool would do so. and use that spraying tool i suggested in the guide.
2) Does the paint smudge easily?
A: When wet: YES. do not, fudge with the paint in any way when it's still wet. even if there is a little dust particle that happened to float and stick to the paint. i've gotten little threadlike dust in the air that clung to my paint. the best strategy is to wait for the paint to dry and then scrub the dust off with your hand. these things happen, it's unavoidable unless you have a very dust-free area. don't go doing it in a closed garage or anything, lest you want to breath in too many fumes x_x
3) Has anyone successfully used a stencil on a controller?
*edit*
A: i believe there are a few people who have already successfully used stencilled designs. their controllers are posted up somewhere in this thread. try browsing through and PMing them.
4)Is it possible to sand the color off of my original painted controller? I would like to start it over again.
A: yes, it is possible. you'll want to start with some less finely gritted sandpaper to get the bulk of the paint off, then move to the suggested fine grit to get the remainder. it requires a lot of elbow grease of it's entirely possible.

goodluck

MDZ

Smash Journeyman
Armstrong B.C Canada. It's in the Okanagan, so if
Alright, so. I've been getting bored with my current dalmation-dotted controller and am thinking about taking on a harder task. I've got plans to have a controller that's completely white on the front side, and then on the back it would be a lime green, white, and a bit of black form of plaid. Kind of something like this, only it would be more spaced out with more white and more rectangular blocks instead of completely squared.

Thing is, I'm gonna need more than just spraypaint to do this. I'm probably going to need some permanent felts with very sharp tips and whatnot. Anyone have any ideas on what markers or anything would be good, or am I going to have to use tape and create the lines that way and spray it anyway?

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
Alright, so. I've been getting bored with my current dalmation-dotted controller and am thinking about taking on a harder task. I've got plans to have a controller that's completely white on the front side, and then on the back it would be a lime green, white, and a bit of black form of plaid. Kind of something like this, only it would be more spaced out with more white and more rectangular blocks instead of completely squared.

Thing is, I'm gonna need more than just spraypaint to do this. I'm probably going to need some permanent felts with very sharp tips and whatnot. Anyone have any ideas on what markers or anything would be good, or am I going to have to use tape and create the lines that way and spray it anyway?
lots of tape

Met

Smash Ace
hey i have a question. Are the joy sticks anchered in there? because i dont want to pull mine out when they look like they arnt supposed to come out.

Met

Smash Ace
sorry to double post. But i forgot to ask. Do anyo of you use multiple layers that are diffrent colors so you can tape off sections and keep them a diffrent color? like for example spraying it black first... then wraping some tape around the shell and spraying it a diffrent color. giveing you black lines? my question is should you use the same brand of spray paint to do this?

Flamestar666

Smash Lord
if you do that, i highly suggest using a high gloss acrylic cleat coat.

you should be able touse the same grade paint.
make sure you test it something like a sheet of cardboard, or something ebfore you do it, that way you can get a good idea of what you need to do

also, edit button ftw
For every time you fail to use the edit button, god slaughters a kitten

Met

Smash Ace
instead of sanding off unwanted piant isnt it easyer and more effective to get paint thinner? and what if i hand paint designs on spray paint? will it stick well enough to not chip before i put the clear coat on?

yes!

Smash Apprentice
i haven't had much success removing dry layered paint with paint thinner. and the plastic is susceptible to melting when soaked in strong removing agents. i suggest gathering up all the elbow grease you have and some sandpaper.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of addicted to painting my controllers now. I finsihed my first, and I am working on another. Thanks for the guide, I was a little wary of messing up another shell after my first try a few years back. Hopefully have pictures up soon.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Well, I finally found the USB cable for my camera.

Thanks for the guide. Let me know what you think.

DeathByTurnips

Smash Cadet
I want to try this...the problem for me tho...is what colors to use :/ im thinkin about coloring it based on my chars that i use...but pink on top and yellow on the bottom might look a bit bad XD

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
Well, I finally found the USB cable for my camera.

Thanks for the guide. Let me know what you think.
looks real nice man, just a couple of things like the paint has the shape of the tape making it look obvious but i guess that kind of adds to the style, and the buttons are going to wear off really messin up the cool look of the controller =/ but real nice man, i like it alot

Top Bottom