• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Vasilicus

Smash Journeyman
I found a Tri-thingy type 2 but the head thingy on the side that you hold it in was too big to do down that long narrow hole at the bottom of the controller......

Solitas

Smash Apprentice
Alright, this is a modified WAVEBIRD. It's actually going to top a trophy for a tournament we're having in Florida next weekend. The only thing that needs to be completed is the installation of a mini-plaque atop the Gamecube logo on the controller that reads "Get Committed CHAMPION." The controller itself is gold and the grey buttons are metallic silver.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/8bitanimated/con4.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/8bitanimated/con5.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i306/8bitanimated/con1.jpg

Oh and as the pics should show, yes, it's fully functional AND detachable from the trophy.

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Lab Rat™ said:
i did a little bit of advanced modding and came up with THIS!!1

P.S. that was just a joke, and that is NOT my controller (found it on ebay)
Everyone who thinks this is fake is wrong i have one lol -_- friend got it at blockbusters for me

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Those green controllers are nice. Is it supposed to be a camoflauge sort of look?
Yep well the one with the J isnt as camo like cut the lines are straighter but yea its camo like

And to paint the plug is u masking tape the metal part and the wire then just do the steps but i didnt sand its fine

DokturSea

Smash Lord
If I can get all the right equiptment, I'm hoping to color my controller to look like my Yoshi color, Dark Blue. Imma gonna try to even get the hot pink boots down as well.

TheMerchant

Smash Cadet
who here knew that the xbox joysticks worked in a gamecube controller?
well, it does, but you need to somehow thin out the dome like part of it so it doesnt stick so much. and micron gamecube controller sticks also work.

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
hey, i ordered my triwing screwdriver off ebay and it should be coming in a few days, i already have the spray grip, spray paint, and sand paper ready

i just have a quick question about painting the buttons/joysticks... are the buttons/joysticks removable from the controller or do they stick to the controller with wires etc?

Pils

Smash Apprentice
I've painted my non-wavebird, and it neded up looking like **** because I didn't let it completely dry when I started playing. So guys, make sure it's dry enough that it makes a clicking sound when you tap it with your nail before you play.

I'm doing my wavebird today, it's gonna be shiny black with green cow spots and the SSB logo where the nintendo logo was.

To Lab Rat: You can take them off for painting, but sand out the inside of the sockets if you put lots of layers so they still slide properly.

yes!

Smash Apprentice
solitas - great color scheme and paintjob. looks real official and great!
joejoe - i like the twist you put on your paintscheme. looks unique man. gj on both of them.

and xbox joysticks on a gamecube controller?! that's pure devil worship and blasphemy! how dare you taint the wonder that is the gamecube controller with such horrible craftsmanship known has the xbox controller. HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
umm...ok, i need proof that this isnt illegal so my friend will lend me his triwing screwdriver cause im broke.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
MLG Rules said:
Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
There you have it

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
okay, im having trouble taking out the L and R buttons because some weird screws are keeping it down and i dont have a 1.8mm 4 head screw driver so i just masking taped it and painted over it, and the joysticks were connected to the controller with wires... i was too afraid to take them out so im just not gonna paint the joysticks.

Sizzle

I paint controllers
You could have used a flathead for those screws too if you had one. My mom just bought a screwdriver set at Target for like $2.50 the other day that had some smaller screwdrivers in them.

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
this is how it turned out, its a little bit blurry because i took it with my phone

another thing, my R button wont work when i put it back together... you cant feel the click of it like you can the L button, any ideas why this happened?

SmashPhysics

Smash Cadet
yeah i started doing all of my friends and charging 10 dollars to do them. So far ive made and easy 40$. Mine was black controller and dark green buttons, my friends was black bottom and white top and black buttons, my brothers is black buttons and black controller but the grooves that hold the buttons are gold.
I also experimented painting the 360 controller and an xbox controller. Both worked out perfectly. And amazingly i used th 1.8 flathead for everything. Screw triwing screwdrivers. i aint wasting 5 dollas. hahaha

Solitas

Smash Apprentice
How's this for "cosmetically modified"?

As noted in a previous post: THE WAVEBIRD ON TOP DETACHES AND WORKS.

Congrats to Lambchops for walking away with it :D.

Lab Rat™

Smash Journeyman
flatheads really screw up the screws as mentioned in the guide, i turned my house upside down and i couldnt find any flathead that would get the **** controller to open, it really was frustrating... once i bought the triwing it made things really really easy

i dont mean to sound like a gay advertiser but seriously, just buy the triwing if you really want to cosmetically custom your controller

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
*mumbles* mine would probably be differnet. that means i'll have to go like 30 miles to some electronics store that has the number 7 in it's name. i forget.

Top Bottom