• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide To Re-Spray Painting your controllers for melee(Updated 4/3/07)

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Just airbrushed my first controller. I used oil-based enamels as an overcoat on top of water-based acryl model master paints. Not suggested. The oil-based enamels will make the acryllics shrivel up and give a weird surface. Also, I don't know if I haven't waited longe enough or something but the enamel clearcoat seems to be a little sticky. It isn't smooth, and I can take my fingernail and scratch it. Maybe I just need to wait longer.

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
yea like i said..its looks good but you need something thatll make it stand out you no?
and i think that there tournament legal...there is no cheating or anything
its just bigger
acctually making it a little different
more clumpy...
its not acctually changing gameplay so i dont think so
but i could be wrong..

MASTER_VOID

Smash Journeyman
can anyone suggest any cool colors........i was planning on making an neon green.........you know to burn the retina.......O_o....i want to hear more ideas before i make a final decision..........maybe an bright orange to make it stand out in the crowd of black and silver.....hahahah hot pink ^_^.........cant wait until i get my triwing

stevester_7

Smash Rookie
sweet, i am totally stoked , i am going to paint my controller blue at the front (not sure what kind,any suggestions?) and gold on the back, maybe a gold symbol on the front to but i dont know what to do, again any suggestions

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
well honestly it was an accident lmao
i wanted to make a Deep redish and a white striped controller
i sprayed the white on one end and then i grabed the red...
i forgot to shake it and when i sprayed it...it came out really odd..and it got all over the white and stuff
and i was like
FOCK!!!!
haha
and so i just had the can about 7-10 inches away and just lightly sprayed over the controller making specs...
so i just grabed my black can and added more colors and it came out bad a$$...

kinda of hold the can far away and spray a bit at a time..dont really paint the controller you no?
just far enought so the paint thats coming out barely hits the controller and keep doing it with the colors you want your controller...

if you need more info just pm me bro
ill be more than happy to paint it

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
here is better picture of the controller so you can see the specs a bit better
sorry for the picture
cheap camera =[

and here is my pink colored controller
a Really light pink
its kinda been used alot and it was my first made controller so it kinda sucks =[
but its the controller i use at tourny's

DXY!

Smash Rookie
I tried painting mine today and it kinda ended in disaster.

I did everything by the guide, and it'll still look shoddy anyway.

Oh well, It was an extra controller anyway and it still might look cool when it's all done. We'll see.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I am working on my controller right now. It is going to be Samus' Varia Suit themed. It will be all red at first. Then, where the buttons and joysticks are, I will spray the raised areas an orange. Lastly, I will paint the buttons green and stick SA-X across the middle.

warrior_nana

Smash Rookie
hey do you have to use primer? and if you do, how many coats are needed? and how many coats of the colored paint should you use? thx.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yes, you have to use primer. If you don't, the paint will rub off faster than fox illusion. I would say do 2 coats of primer. If you want it to look really good though (which I would suggest in retrospect of mine), use 3 coats but sand it down smooth afterwards. Then, apply several thin layers around the entire shell as evenly as posible. Remember, thin layers dry faster and if you mess them up, they are easier to get off! Wait at least 12 hours before attempting a reesembly, and that's only if you are 99% confident that it is completely dry.

I have a question now. Did anyone else do this? To keep my buttons from being stuck in or out from friction because of the new paint, I took tape and taped the inside of the button holes so that no paint would get in and mess anything up.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I got my screwdriver and opened up my GCN controller. Then I painted the outside of it with three coats of gloss white Krylon plastic paint. It turned out really nice, and so I put my controller back together. Then I noticed the horrible purple color showing through between the crack that separates the two pieces of plastic.

Bleh, so I just reopened my controller and painted the back. Now I'm waiting for it to dry.

Although I think it's dry now. So I'm going to put a very light fourth coat on the front and back. I accidentally scratched them with my screwdriver from the excitement of wanting to see the controller all fully assembled.

My tip: Paint the front, let it dry, turn the pieces over, and paint the sides. Yay! >_>

EDIT: Ok, I finished it! ... well, kind of. It's done if I don't want to put any logos on it. I want to put something above the start button, but I don't want to mess up and screw the everything up.

I bought a silver and a light blue paint pen (Yay! Wii!) And I'm thinking about either putting an Armored Frog silhouette or a a bass clef. The bass clef would be the easiest I would think. But I'm not sure how to start. Any tips or suggestions on putting an emblem/logo above the start button? It doesn't have to use my paint pens idea.

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I just bought my screwdriver and while I am waiting I was thinking of colors im gonna use then i decided im gonna make my controller just like the car in the oringal Driver game Blue with Raceing Strips

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
i got a new controller i made...turned out better than ever =]
2 coats primer..sanded it
3 coats of black/dark pink/light pink all speced around the controller
4 coats of clear coat (2-3 was really rough feeling and i didnt like it)
then i colored the cracks of the controller with a black paint marker and colored around the buttons with black paint pen...and joy sticks..
so the controller looks like it has eye liner haha
-----------
to change the sticks just pull them off with alittle bit of force *if needed*
and just put them back on in any order
-----------
ill have pictures of the controller up soon

Corigames

Smash Hero
I am going to do one for my friend now. Here is how it is going to be:
All white controller, green buttons.
I am going to cut out a shape of a mushroom from Mario (holes included) and place it in the middle. From a distance, I am going to spray green so that it makes a 1up mushroom pattern in the middle. Then I'm going to paint 1 up on the side.

FunkDocOH

Smash Cadet
So, it's been a while since I've checked these boards and saw this topic, and I was wondering with some of the Earlier controller-painters: How has your paint job withstood the countless hours of Smash? I've still wanted to paint my controller, and want to be absolutely sure of the best techniques to use, because I'm not certain the first post has been updated in a while, and there's entirely too much info on there for my tiny head to comprehend.

So please, enlighten me on your tips to making a top-notch Custom controller!

Sick_ShEiK$$$

Smash Cadet
a well sanded controller...no dents and what not (make sure you clean it)
2-3 coats of primer,let it sit for awhile (suggest 2 hours) thats how long it took mine to dry because i laid thin coats.
then resand it. (350-400 grit sandpaper works best)
then apply 3-4 coats of paint (lightly sprayed on and evenly as possible)
let it sit for about 10-12 hours
then apply ? amount of clear coat.
whatever type of feeling you perfer.
lower the coats ruffer it will be and more the coats smother it will be.
after that i would let it sit for about...eh 12 hours
to make sure your not going to have any fingerprints..
clean around the buttons..etc.
make everything a bit smother and cleaner =]
thats my method on controlle rpainting but they are soo many more..

MASTER_VOID

Smash Journeyman
Does it have to be primer for plastic or can it be an all purpose primer cuz i was wondering if the all purpose one was any good or make a difference?

G-Ron

Smash Apprentice
Wow this thread is 45 pages.....O_O

lol, my controller has been fine, however if you paint the buttons, then you got to really put a clear coat on their to keep the paint from fletching off.

MASTER_VOID

Smash Journeyman
i dont see why it shouldent work........its made for oth plastic and it is all purpose...........im just too lazy to find it only for platic..........kinda cant find it!!!

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
do you think the cold will make it come out bad and how do you get it so i doesn't stick to where you are painting it at

i was doind a tast paint on a broken controller and it stuck to the place i was painting it

Corigames

Smash Hero
do you think the cold will make it come out bad and how do you get it so i doesn't stick to where you are painting it at

i was doind a tast paint on a broken controller and it stuck to the place i was painting it
I sprayed on news paper and just moved where I was spraying each time I put a new coat on and that kept the sticky factor down.
(just be careful the wind doesn't blow the newspaper onto the controller! That sucked)

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
My controller is finished :D

It looks really nice. Although I really want to put something on it. <_<;

Anyways, more than half a can of Gloss White Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint later...

Front Image

Back Image

^_^;

I'd put the images in IMG tags, but they might stretch the page or make people mad or something.

Corigames

Smash Hero
My controller is finished :D

It looks really nice. Although I really want to put something on it. <_<;

Anyways, more than half a can of Gloss White Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint later...

Front Image

Back Image

^_^;

I'd put the images in IMG tags, but they might stretch the page or make people mad or something.
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...e&friendID=92529801&albumID=0&imageID=3422948
Wow, it looks like I took yours and kept going with it.
ONLY IMAGE (done with phone)

Corigames

Smash Hero
yeah, it is a one up mushroom. I put a stencile (that I obviously made) over top of it and stood back and sprayed down on it. That's how he ordered it.... Why such meanness?!?!?!?!?

E3E_IceClimbers

Smash Apprentice
looks like i'll be painting mine sooner than i thought haha....my joystick snapped on my good controller, so i bought a brand new platinum one....while waiting for it to get to my house i am gonna paint the case of the broken controller and see how it turns out, if i like it i'm gonna use it....if not i will give it to a friend or something haha

i might try out an idea with textured paint, and keeping the stock black controller paint in certain sections by taping it off ect....hopefully it works out like i want...

Top Bottom