• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

weon - X

Smash Ace
nobody said appearance wasn't important, but if u really wanna like a person then OBVIOUSLY you need to get along, thats it, i wasnt talking about anything related to sex david, more about the emotional part.

and yeah i wouldn't sleep with i chick thats the nicest person ever and looks like a man. lets be real guys

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
My comments weren't made addressing you, Camilo. Or anyone, really. I was just chiming in because we were talking about what we need in a partner.

I agree you need someone that you can talk to, treat like a person, etc. in order for a relationship to work. Without that element, it can't grow and because at least one party isn't feeding it.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i mean, i'm not saying appearance isn't important,
yea you did.
well yeah...without a good personality nothing else matters.

nobody said appearance wasn't important,
well yea, kyle did.

I think a lot of people get overly idealistic when it comes to romance. People always say "their personality is the biggest thing" but lets be PERFECTLY HONEST here, you likely would not even bother trying to stir a relationship or get to know someone of the opposite sex at an intimate level if you weren't FIRST attracted to their looks.
This is kinda evidenced in the fact that kyle was earlier talking about how theres a cute girl in his class he wants to talk too. Why hasnt he ever mentioned any ugly girls he wants to talk to? I'm not picking on you kyle, just using the most relevent example.
i mean, i'm not saying appearance isn't important, but...if a girl can't hold up her end of a conversation...i'm just not interested
you'd be equally as uninterested if she wasn't attractive to begin with.

I agree with everything David/KK had to say.

Physical attraction = Personality compatibility when it comes to finding a significant other.
benign friendships rely more on personality, and sex drive relies more on physical attraction.
no use resisting biology.

idea

Smash Master
nah, "personality is the most important" =/= "nothing else matters"

appearance means nothing to me without personality. without. once you have that base thing, it does start to matter.

also i'm gonna slightly take back something i said before, personality does seem somewhat connected to appearance...like appearance can indicate personality traits. that's like what david said about people's mannerisms and how they dress.

but there are enough exceptions that you can't make reliable assumptions that way. too bad, it would be a lot easier that way, i could just find a good-looking girl and she'd be the right person for me too.

"you'd be equally as uninterested if she wasn't attractive to begin with."
not equally.

hmm...put it this way...i don't really care unless they have looks AND personality. but i'm more willing to settle for someone less attractive than i want, than someone less intelligent/interesting than i want.
(if i was willing to settle at all. which i'm not.)

using the same example...i'm not interested in ugly girls. or stupid girls. or boring girls. they have to be smart and attractive and interesting. but -2 attractiveness points is not as bad as -2 intelligence points, for instance.

i can also think of numerous girls that i think are really attractive but who are not my type at all.

Ministry

Smash Ace
nobody said appearance wasn't important, but if u really wanna like a person then OBVIOUSLY you need to get along, thats it, i wasnt talking about anything related to sex david, more about the emotional part.

and yeah i wouldn't sleep with i chick thats the nicest person ever and looks like a man. lets be real guys
And you said im picky because i wouldn't date or have sex with a girl with 1 hand/1 leg/1 ear/no teeth

when did u suddenly change all you're views

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I haven't seen the Toronto thread this active in a while.

Insight later on this subject. Too lazy right now.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Lmao just when I'm thinking to myself "why do I still come to this site?" I come in here and read the last 3 pages about asian girls. Best part is I would have been on the other side of this discussion only a couple months ago; I haven't historically preferred asian girls, but then I met this girl recently through one of my friends...

Kyle though you need to stop hesitating :p... only reason I even got a chance to talk to this girl again is because she happened to come back for a graduation after-party thing. She's pretty cool and really cute, and everyone who's seen me even once knows I'm not exactly Johnny Depp >_>.... Still - I got a date with her ^^ so here's hoping it goes well.

But yeah, no reason not to act; don't be forced to rely on luck like I was lol (but then you also said you don't have confidence issues...and I definitely do lol...so you'll probably be fine).

idea

Smash Master
Lmao just when I'm thinking to myself "why do I still come to this site?" I come in here and read the last 3 pages about asian girls. Best part is I would have been on the other side of this discussion only a couple months ago; I haven't historically preferred asian girls, but then I met this girl recently through one of my friends...

Kyle though you need to stop hesitating :p... only reason I even got a chance to talk to this girl again is because she happened to come back for a graduation after-party thing. She's pretty cool and really cute, and everyone who's seen me even once knows I'm not exactly Johnny Depp >_>.... Still - I got a date with her ^^ so here's hoping it goes well.

But yeah, no reason not to act; don't be forced to rely on luck like I was lol (but then you also said you don't have confidence issues...and I definitely do lol...so you'll probably be fine).
...pics? :awesome:

and yeah, i know. i woulda said something but she left too fast and it didn't matter =P can't exactly run after her like "HEY YOU, STOP!"

i probably shouldn't have even said "asian" girl, i guess the main point was "girl"...but then, i don't know why i mentioned that in the first place. just making conversation i guess.

i picked yes.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
but david, im talking to you :p
Alright. What do you want to discuss then?

I was talking specifically about initial attraction, outward appearance, and judgments we make because of them with the bulk of my post. So this neither challenges nor agrees with what I'm saying because it seems your dealing with more long-term stuff like emotional fulfillment and connecting with them at a level deeper than your cock length in relation to their vagina. Which would be knowledge acquired after you've gotten to know them.

unknown522

Some guy
And you said im picky because i wouldn't date or have sex with a girl with 1 hand/1 leg/1 ear/no teeth

when did u suddenly change all you're views
camilo posting:

you forgot about the one without a bellybutton, hey i wasn't asking you about dating quazi modo, just a girl with ok looks but without a finger. i didn't change my views at all.

David i wasn't disagreeing with u, i was just talking to u about something, that's it, there's no debate.

Metà

Smash Master
The first thing we get to go by when we meet someone new is their appearance. Which includes how we see them interact with others and the environment as an onlooker. We don't get a deep personality or whatever to go by. We get a really limited, biased glance at how they seem to behave but that's about it as far as personality goes.

Looks also play a big role in the initial judgments we make about people. Consciously we can try to suppress them or whatever but how well groomed they look, and other stuff, factor into our perception of what we expect of their personality. We're very likely to guess that someone with awful, ratty hair doesn't take care of themselves in the same way we think someone with an incredibly slutty dress and too much makeup is trying to hard for attention and is desperate or overdone or whatever.

Looks are incredibly important for this reason and many others.

The loose exception to this is if we already know them to some degree, either through a friend of a friend or whatever. Even then I doubt most of you would date or fuck a really ugly chick even if she was nice. I know I wouldn't.

edit: Not to downplay personality or whatever because obviously mental compatibility is important too but "personality is all that matters" is not a realistic claim IMHO.
make love to me

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
camilo posting:

David i wasn't disagreeing with u, i was just talking to u about something, that's it, there's no debate.
Oh.

It will probably be a pretty quick conversation then because I think I agree with you completely with it lolol. A good personality is crucial. That's different for everyone: some people can stand an airhead as long as they're really genuinely nice; others need someone that can keep pace with them intellectually or no dice; some people want someone that will challenge them.

I think this is also where things get a little bit complicated.

I know I for one have no idea what I actually want or need in a partner beyond decent physical appearance that falls loosely into a "type" I like and a warm demeanor... well, okay. I'm not that clueless. There's some other stuff but it's mostly simple needs; I'm pretty in the dark for what I really want my partner's personality and whatever to be like. Maybe I should just date more and give trial n' error a shot?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
What about the people who get high paying jobs AND love what they do? lol
I mentioned that here. VVVVV

So, if you can find something you love and get paid for it, that's pretty much the best thing you can accomplish.

I'm still looking for that.
Pretty cool to see everyone's perspective on things.
I agree with this to some extent.

I don't really have a problem with having to work and make money. I think the fact that we have to work to be able to do things which give us pleasure adds value to our lives, you work and then it pays off and you can appreciate it more.

Living in a world where you aren't constrained by an "the economy" is equally as pointless as living in the current state as I see it. If you had to freedom to absolutely anything, what would be the point of doing anything at all? what would you gain from it if you could do it whenever you wanted?

Life is weird like that. Its kinda like the adage "you can't know joy without sadness"
I don't mean to say that everyone should be able to goof off however and whenever they want, that would just lead to anarchy, and no one wants that.

I think you're confusing "Freedom to do anything" with "Ability to do anything." Just because I am free to try driving a Zamboni, doesn't mean I'll be successful at it right away.

I just mean that if you want to play guitar all your life, you should be able to do so. It's not all fun and games learning an instrument, it takes hard work and long hours, but when you put in all that effort, it pays off and it actually feels rewarding because you can do now what you couldn't do before and it's with something you love doing. With money, all it is is a pass to have the opportunity to do something. It doesn't mean you'll be able to do it well, or for very long. You can't really put all that hard work into something you love if you're too busy putting in all that time and effort into something you don't like to make money just to have the opportunity to do what you love.

Money doesn't make you more able to do anything, it just makes you free to try it for a short time. If you're free to try anything at any time, then it's easier to find a passion and then you would work on that passion and it would be rewarding.

The way things are now are just so mundane and annoying, the monetary value of whatever you're doing just doesn't feel as palpable or rewarding as if you did something like learn an instrument, learn a programming language, learn a sport, or whatever.

All life is, honestly, is just one big MMORPG money grind.

Muscles Level Up!
Grades Level Up!
Age Level Up!
Freedom Level Up!
Job Level Up!
Earnings Level Up!
Seniority Level Up!
Freedom Level Up!

About looks, relationships, and stuff:

David pretty much hit the nail on the head.
That's why I don't have a girlfriend. Anyone I'm willing to approach looks good enough to me that they might be more likely to have the qualities that I look for in a person. Yet every time I do, that person is already taken.

Most hot white girls I see, all I want to do is have sex with them, I never see in them any qualities that would make me want to share a long-lasting relationship with them, so I never approach them.

The first paragraph describes pretty much the base personality type that I'm looking for in a girl. The rest would just be common interests and cute quirks that make her unique.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did "No" then "Yes."

I checked out all the girls' profiles and they're all terrible. I wouldn't wish on any of the guys-- never mind...

They can all be described in one word, too. But, maybe they're playing off stereotypes on purpose.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wtf was that interactive thing =/ Shane Dawson is messed up... I clicked on one of the options and it led to a KFC commercial..

MOMENT RUINED.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
^^^ LOL ya the commercials are ********.

i love the last few pages lol. it's quite interesting.

initial impressions based on appearance may be the most important determining factor among starting relationships

Crooked Crow

We can come to the pragmatic conclusion that attention based on sexual principles is a mixture of personality and physical attraction.

Ideally, you can't have one without the other, but I suppose some people are more lenient than others.

unknown522

Some guy
Just got home from the surgery; I feel like after all that waiting, I now have the patience to outcamp any player :p

Aww man. So bored. I forgot D2 @ david's house and I can't go out until I fully recover.

Crooked Crow

I have the strangest compulsion to play Brawl casually again. I've been debating it for almost 20 minutes.

Too much weed. Or not enough weed? You be the judge.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
The way that article dumbed down the cell cycle division control mechanisms in the body made me rage. Thats the kind of stuff I study and I could barely follow it because it was so badly/incorrectly explained.

idea

Smash Master
it's probably good news, but i'm skeptical of anything that feels like it can so directly say "okay guys, we've cured cancer."

edit: the first comment is from 4 years ago. looks like this article has been around for a while and just became popular recently.

Windrose

Smash Lord
The way that article dumbed down the cell cycle division control mechanisms in the body made me rage. Thats the kind of stuff I study and I could barely follow it because it was so badly/incorrectly explained.
Hmm....this is interesting actually. At first I was going to dismiss this poorly written newspaper article but I'm gonna do some more digging into it. Never heard about modulating metabolic activities to fight against cancer before...

EDIT:

Okay, so after doing some light research, I can say there is some truth beneath that article. Basically the drug DCA (dichloroacetate) effects the activity of an enzyme known as Pyruvate Dehydrogenase (PDH).

PDH basically converts something known as pyruvate(the end product of glycolysis which breaks down glucose) into a form that is usable by mitochondria so that it can be metabolized to create energy. This process of oxidizing sugar requires oxygen which is why we need to breathe air to live.

The concept behind this drug as a target against cancer is based on the idea that cancer cells don't die naturally because their mitochondria aren't working properly. iirc, mitochondria is needed for cells to undergo apoptosis (a regulated process of cell death that needs to occur in our body).

The idea basically is that DCA will re-enable tumor cells to be able to undergo apoptosis and thus killing cancer cells.

The drug is still under clinical studies and whether or not DCA can be used as a definitive treatment against cancer is still far from our grasps right now as this study came about around 2007.

There are also studies that showed DCA worsening cancer, so this isn't really the 100% anti-cancer drug that will solve all our cancer problems.

On the business side of things, because DCA has been around for a super long time, there is no patent on it so there is not a lot of financial support for the research but there's still funding from charity organizations and private fundings.

TL;DR

Cancer is complicated
This drug is not likely the solution to all our cancer problems
It's still under clinical research so we'll have to wait and see
Probably won't be until a decade or so later before we start seeing this drug as a default cancer treatment available to everyone, (or even at all depending if the drug passes the trials)

Ministry

Smash Ace
playing alot of MTG lately, so much fun/so nerdy..

no smash though..

good job on surviving the surgery ryan, i know what that **** is like first time like 10 fold.

its 50-50, u either die or u dont so gj, thats what i always tell myself when i have surgery.

Top Bottom