• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior #Geno4Smash - Everyone's gotta do their part! Vote Geno

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
I didn't know who this guy was until someone brought him to my attention few days ago and I bet Sakurai also didn't. You guys want an obscure chracter from a game that didn't even had a sequel or was a best seller to begin with it? This is seriously getting out of control.

What's next? CD-i Link and Zelda?
I felt it had been far too long since we had pessimists trying to undermine our movement with no real basis. Let me ask you two things:

You don't support Geno, why are you even here, besides trying to start something? Your post is obviously not meant to be constructive. Plus, you had joined the site yesterday [relative to when you made the post]...some might think you were looking for a fight, so I would be cautious.

Second, are you doing this to every character support thread you don't agree with, or just the biggest one you could find?

I won't bother explaining Geno to you, since the entire first page of this thread outlines reasons, support, influence, and potential of the character and the impact of his respective game.

With those two points, I welcome you to learn more about Geno, since you know of his influence enough to even bother writing here, or go get yourself some well-deserved rest. It is late, and that could lend itself to crankiness.

Last edited:

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Power Hype, Activate!
According to Nintendo News's find, there might be more than one character accepted from the Smash ballot (or one, with 3 planned (with regards to Lucas taking one of the blank spots) characters on the way!).
There are five blank spots on the official smash bros site, in the playable characters section. Lucas will most likely be one of those spots. That means there are 4 characters unaccounted for!

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And interesting topic! You make excellent points on anticipation, and it would be rad, definitely better than showboating, but I'd LOVE to be surprised like Robin's reveal.
One possible angle he could have gone with was used in Rosalina's trailer when they mashed the Mario and Kirby franchises together on Rainbow Road. I noted four trailers as surprising:

:4wiifit:- Played itself off as a Wii Fit game.
:rosalina:-Mashed together Mario and Kirby so nobody really knew what direction people were going to go with it.
:4greninja:- Betrayed people's expectations (OMG IT'S MEWTWO!!!)
:4lucina::4robinm:- Betrayed people's expectations (Yep, it's time for Chrom... wait a second...)

Nintendo doesn't have any short supply of franchises that involve outer space and stars though so maybe that angle could be played off of. Hell, even Animal Crossing has star gazing and meteor showers. Samus and Geno's firepower could mesh well for a trailer, I imagine.

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
I do use Flash! But I think something on youtube will get more views and will be spread and shared more easily. I dunno if I want to make a fake challenger approaching video either.. I want to promote Geno but I always want to try something new since animating on my own channel is more for fun than anything (i make chump change on my channel, doing work for other channels pays the bills!). But I'm gonna be pretty busy so I might not get around to it for some time, if at all.

Also, a japanese commenter in asked me if he could repost my video on NicoNico (I had to translate what he said), I told him yes of course, so now the Geno video may be working its way around Japan's "youtube" :D

And interesting topic! You make excellent points on anticipation, and it would be rad, definitely better than showboating, but I'd LOVE to be surprised like Robin's reveal.
:)
If your looking for ideas, this threadgroup is golden! Also, your golden for your relationship with NoPunInTendo!

Have you noticed how Fawful has a fanbase too? Sometimes, I think Fawful is actually Geno with his toy-doll-head off, and that it is a 'bean-worm'(or something like) that took his body. I know, a bit off topic, but even if that is not the case with Fawful (because that it is pretty much not the case) You could add him as the anti-role for your animations if you felt comfortable with such. Hmm... where is my head tonight....

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know who this guy was until someone brought him to my attention few days ago and I bet Sakurai also didn't. You guys want an obscure chracter from a game that didn't even had a sequel or was a best seller to begin with it? This is seriously getting out of control.

What's next? CD-i Link and Zelda?
ummmm Sakurai knows who he is and almost made him a character.. I think

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
ummmm Sakurai knows who he is and almost made him a character.. I think
I dunno about that, but I'm certain Sakurai knows who Geno is. He just hasn't publicly acknowledged it.

One possible angle he could have gone with was used in Rosalina's trailer when they mashed the Mario and Kirby franchises together on Rainbow Road. I noted four trailers as surprising:

:4wiifit:- Played itself off as a Wii Fit game.
:rosalina:-Mashed together Mario and Kirby so nobody really knew what direction people were going to go with it.
:4greninja:- Betrayed people's expectations (OMG IT'S MEWTWO!!!)
:4lucina::4robinm:- Betrayed people's expectations (Yep, it's time for Chrom... wait a second...)

Nintendo doesn't have any short supply of franchises that involve outer space and stars though so maybe that angle could be played off of. Hell, even Animal Crossing has star gazing and meteor showers. Samus and Geno's firepower could mesh well for a trailer, I imagine.
Haha a trailer featuring Samus would really betray expectations. People still want Ridley, despite Sakurai putting him in as a hazard and saying no, but people would hope for that still. Thennnn bam, Geno. It might not be as bad as Robin's reveal though, which showed Chrom.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Why is everyone ignoring a certain two words that I keep putting in my posts? I guess I have to take extreme measures.

RPG SPINOFF, PEOPLE! HE IS A ONE SHOT RPG SPINOFF CHARACTER!!!!!!!!

Why has no one addressed the fact that he's an RPG SPINOFF character? I just said that RPG SPINOFF characters are never brought into other spinoffs unless its within their spinoff series.

No matter how you look at it, the fact that he's an RPG SPINOFF character is detrimental to his relevance to the Mario franchise as a whole.

Which is why I think it's best if we start smaller and try to convince Nintendo to put the RPG SPINOFF characters (including those like Fawful, Goombella, and other popular ones) into games like Mario Kart, Party, and other sports spinoffs first. However, the fact that he's by far the most popular of any RPG SPINOFF character in the Mario franchise should make this job easier, though they'll have to secure the rights to him from Square Enix first.
Sakurai NEVER said he doesn't want to add a spinoff character

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Why is everyone ignoring a certain two words that I keep putting in my posts? I guess I have to take extreme measures.

RPG SPINOFF, PEOPLE! HE IS A ONE SHOT RPG SPINOFF CHARACTER!!!!!!!!

Why has no one addressed the fact that he's an RPG SPINOFF character? I just said that RPG SPINOFF characters are never brought into other spinoffs unless its within their spinoff series.

No matter how you look at it, the fact that he's an RPG SPINOFF character is detrimental to his relevance to the Mario franchise as a whole.

Which is why I think it's best if we start smaller and try to convince Nintendo to put the RPG SPINOFF characters (including those like Fawful, Goombella, and other popular ones) into games like Mario Kart, Party, and other sports spinoffs first. However, the fact that he's by far the most popular of any RPG SPINOFF character in the Mario franchise should make this job easier, though they'll have to secure the rights to him from Square Enix first.
Because my friend this is a thread specifically for Geno.

While you attempt to only use reasonable and rational thoughts, they only serve to make you seem a bit less than that. A game being a spin-off might really not be a nail in the coffin for Geno. Stranger things have happened in gaming history, such as Link entering into the world of Soul Calibur. This isn't even mentioning Sakurai's tendencies to surprise people.

My point being, they're asking for fans to tell them what they want, and Geno fans are doing just that. While Geno fans have been a bit more quiet than the Brawl time period, there are still plenty of them. Super Mario RPG isn't just another "spinoff" title. It's the RPG that cemented people's love for Mario in RPG's. It is the holy grail of Mario RPG's. It's touched the hearts of so many gamers during the 90's that it's hard to argue that it's just an "RPG Spinoff."

I get that you're trying to be rational. I truly do. But detractors such as yourself in character threads aren't always welcomed with open arms. I on the other hand like to discuss these things.

If your only point is that Nintendo should start smaller, then I think you've got a long way to go in order to convince others to vote for Fawful. Geno is a huge dream to a lot of us here. So take it easy bud :)

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
OMG i finally found this!!! i was searching for this since 2014

this is should Geno alt custom if he is going to be in SSB also another alt custom without Geno hat
also i found another interesting things from SMRPG that has never be seen in the actual game (you can just see the text in the game but you cant see what you actualy have). click at the spoiler to see it
[spoiler/]

Last edited:

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
Alright, you all better vote for Geno. I've said it before and I'll say it again; GENO OR RITO!
I don't think it's good for Japan to take a second Geno Flash after recovering so recently. Let's appease Geno and give him our time of day.

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Power Hype, Activate!
According to Nintendo News's find, there might be more than one character accepted from the Smash ballot (or one, with 3 planned (with regards to Lucas taking one of the blank spots) characters on the way!).
There are five blank spots on the official smash bros site, in the playable characters section. Lucas will most likely be one of those spots. That means there are 4 characters unaccounted for!
Wolf
K.Rool
Dixie
Isaac
Chorus Kids

It's obvious.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
People reported me on the Daisy thread for posting a gif. I was just kidding.
Okay, so now that we have that out of the way, I think we should figure out a way to blow up Japan without getting in major trouble JUST IN CASE Geno doesn't get in, again. Ideas anyone?

Sinn

Smash Lord
Okay, so now that we have that out of the way, I think we should figure out a way to blow up Japan without getting in major trouble JUST IN CASE Geno doesn't get in, again. Ideas anyone?
If I catch your reference, didn't Geno claim it would happen simply due to his sheer awesomeness? If that's the case, you don't really have to do anything. Just sit back and let him do his thing.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
If I catch your reference, didn't Geno claim it would happen simply due to his sheer awesomeness? If that's the case, you don't really have to do anything. Just sit back and let him do his thing.
Haha Smash Kingdom is awesome. And yes, let him do the job for us. Just worship him and he'll be happy.
The only thing to do is to get popcorn and some snugglies.

Now that I think about it....Lucas came back. Welp, Geno won't be happy xD

Quillion

Smash Hero
A game being a spin-off might really not be a nail in the coffin for Geno. Stranger things have happened in gaming history, such as Link entering into the world of Soul Calibur. This isn't even mentioning Sakurai's tendencies to surprise people.

My point being, they're asking for fans to tell them what they want, and Geno fans are doing just that. While Geno fans have been a bit more quiet than the Brawl time period, there are still plenty of them. Super Mario RPG isn't just another "spinoff" title. It's the RPG that cemented people's love for Mario in RPG's. It is the holy grail of Mario RPG's. It's touched the hearts of so many gamers during the 90's that it's hard to argue that it's just an "RPG Spinoff."

While you attempt to only use reasonable and rational thoughts, they only serve to make you seem a bit less than that.
Well, I wouldn't have had to resort to extreme measure if people kept ignoring the words RPG and Spinoff in my posts and just focused on one-shot.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Geno because why not? I love all the Mario RPG series, and I want at least a character to represent them. Since Geno is the most popular, I thought I'd throw a vote his way. :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dunno about that, but I'm certain Sakurai knows who Geno is. He just hasn't publicly acknowledged it.

Haha a trailer featuring Samus would really betray expectations. People still want Ridley, despite Sakurai putting him in as a hazard and saying no, but people would hope for that still. Thennnn bam, Geno. It might not be as bad as Robin's reveal though, which showed Chrom.
Mmmm... good point... Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Star Fox, Metroid, Mother, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and Kid Icarus have all involved space at some point so there's those angles to consider. I don't know about the rest of you but I think Rosalina and Geno pair up pretty well (and I don't mean in a "Roseno" sort of way) because of how many thematic factors they share so I always imagined she would somehow be involved in his trailer.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I found a very rare video http://youtu.be/YObbL5LwCJs this is a short clip from the preview of super Mario RPG from v-jump festival in 1995, fujioka and miyamoto were there. Mario looks very ugly
Here is the translation in the spoiler
0:17

Announcer: Super Mario RPG! We’ll now introduce the newest Super Mario title born from the union of Nintendo and Square! As our guests, we have Square’s Chihiro Fujioka and the man you think of when you think Super Mario, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who were kind enough to join us here today.

0:40

Fujioka: There are obviously original characters, but also some familiar faces, of course… this Chain-Chomp for example… others too, I think… Wiggler… We tried our hand at making these original… (well, not really)… these Mario monsters in CG.

0:59

Interviewer: Mr. Miyamoto, what do you have to say?

1:00

Miyamoto: There were bugs in the art in flat areas where people wouldn’t know what was up with the background.

1:05

Interviewer: Ah, yes.

1:06

Miyamoto: Yeah, if you turned around in a circle you’d find glitches… we’d sometimes hear “I really don’t know what’s up with the shape of his head.”

1:12

Fujioka: That’s right. We were really thorough in checking everything.

1:17

Fujioka: How would we make the action game Mario into an RPG? That’s the part that caused us the most trouble. When you think of an RPG, you think of a dramatic story developing. When an event begins, the story keeps unfolding. But it’s not just that, we’re calling these “action events”, events that the player can play through, a characteristic left over from Mario’s action games.

1:45

Interviewer: Action event. That’s a new term, isn’t it.

1:47

Fujioka: That’s right. Therefore, players aren’t just sitting there reading the dialogue, they’re always in control. We’re making a new Mario roleplaying game by using events where you can move Mario around freely. Like we said before, though you can control the events more or less like an action game, because it’s an RPG it’s carefully made so that even those who claim they aren’t very good at action games will be alright.

2:26

Announcer: Lastly, a single question.

2:30

Fujioka: Yes. Well, we’ll do our best to try and make it so that Mario can use the hammer like everyone asked. Even though the game screens look fun from what you’ve just seen, I think we all want you pick up the controller and play for yourselves. Thank you very much.

2:49

Miyamoto: We’re trying to make it so the second one won’t be on the same hardware or system. We’re doing our best to ensure that this game will be the last 16-bit Mario before we move to 64-bit.

3:00

Fujioka: What?!

3:01

Miyamoto: Thank you very much.
[spoiler/]

Last edited:

Solmatter

Smash Cadet
Just found out some pretty big names in the community support Geno, including Sky Williams and D1. I think a lot of people wanted him from the pre-brawl days. We just need to remind everyone why Geno is so great. Particularly, speak to the younger crowds about him. And be kind to the support groups with large numbers such as K Rool's or Isaac's.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
Just found out some pretty big names in the community support Geno, including Sky Williams and D1. I think a lot of people wanted him from the pre-brawl days. We just need to remind everyone why Geno is so great. Particularly, speak to the younger crowds about him. And be kind to the support groups with large numbers such as K Rool's or Isaac's.
Yeah ! Like maybe instead of doing a fan-made trailer for Geno, maybe do a video to introduce him and show them WHY we want him in SSB4 ?

Neosquid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Slowest_Of_Bros
That would be a good idea. Has anyone done that before?
I actually remember seeing a Geno for Brawl video back in 2007 for this that explained his backstory and potential moveset. I wish I could find it!

(brb)
Edit:
It's like the video fell off the face of the earth.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
So there are these four crazy dudes I watch on YouTube... Two of them finished a SMRPG run back in February, and it was the first time they played it. The only two things they knew were "Smithy is last boss" and "Geno is awesome". Their reactions are so genuine, it was magical watching/hearing them experience the game for the first time. They're competitive fighting-game tournament hype kinda guys, so it's pretty hilarious.

This one is probably my favorite bit... jump to around 29:29 (note, some language):

Quillion

Smash Hero
Hmmm... Sorry but...

Listen, Sakurai has been kind enough to allow us to vote for WHO WE WANT ! I don't think they said ANYWHERE that some types of games are not allowed.
He'll likely approve of characters that meet his criteria for relevancy to their home series, though.

Something I want Geno to have more of before he's SSB-worthy.

Also, I don't really see anything other than opinions towards my playing devil's advocate...

But you know what, I'll be nice and offer you a counterargument in case you encounter more opponents like myself since I'm not entirely against Geno appearing (just in a conditional sense):

:drmario::4drmario:

He's a character from a puzzle spinoff that hasn't appeared anywhere in Mario Kart, Mario Party or other spinoffs, yet he was chosen for Smash in spite of this.

There you go. I thought about this myself. Now it makes me wish Dr. Mario was in Kart.

NebulaWords

Smash Journeyman
He'll likely approve of characters that meet his criteria for relevancy to their home series, though.

Something I want Geno to have more of before he's SSB-worthy.

Also, I don't really see anything other than opinions towards my playing devil's advocate...

But you know what, I'll be nice and offer you a counterargument in case you encounter more opponents like myself since I'm not entirely against Geno appearing (just in a conditional sense):

:drmario::4drmario:

He's a character from a puzzle spinoff that hasn't appeared anywhere in Mario Kart, Mario Party or other spinoffs, yet he was chosen for Smash in spite of this.

There you go. I thought about this myself. Now it makes me wish Dr. Mario was in Kart.
Fair enough. I can't argue about it. uvu

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So there are these four crazy dudes I watch on YouTube... Two of them finished a SMRPG run back in February, and it was the first time they played it. The only two things they knew were "Smithy is last boss" and "Geno is awesome". Their reactions are so genuine, it was magical watching/hearing them experience the game for the first time. They're competitive fighting-game tournament hype kinda guys, so it's pretty hilarious.

This one is probably my favorite bit... jump to around 29:29 (note, some language):
I'm curious

I've never seen a let's play of Mario RPG before

I'll watch it from the beggining and see if it's any good

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I thought the same thing at first, being an one shot spin-off character and having all those copyright issues, I thought that he was very unlikely. But now it's different, they are taking fan suggestions, they're not using their criteria anymore (at least partially).
The thing is that Geno was the most requested character in Brawl, and it's still one of the top requested now. This is pretty impressive, and it's definitely a character that would shock the smash fans of all the world if released, someone like Megaman or Pacman, a very big name.
He's very likely just now, because adding him would increase the popularity of Smash, many videogames sites would talk of Geno, requested for years by fans and finally transformed into a Smash fighter, despite the problems with Square Enix... and it could also boost the sales of the next Mario & Luigi RPG game, since the authors said that Geno and Mallow could eventually have a minor role in the next game.

Geno's chances have never been higher than this!

Last edited:
Top Bottom