• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thors hammer,
Excuse me?
I own every Tomb Raider game (Steam sale. Was like $15 lol) yet I have not played them

If you're telling me Lara Croft can wield Mjolnir then I probably should put the games higher on my list >_>

I do worry this would be another iconicness issue. The twin pistols are easily her most iconic weapons. It would be mind boggling for her not to have them. Like Pac not having his World design,

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Excuse me?
I own every Tomb Raider game (Steam sale. Was like $15 lol) yet I have not played them

If you're telling me Lara Croft can wield Mjolnir then I probably should put the games higher on my list >_>

I do worry this would be another iconicness issue. The twin pistols are easily her most iconic weapons. It would be mind boggling for her not to have them. Like Pac not having his World design,
Tomb Raider Underworld, yeah it's weird. If you haven't played it though I'd recommend it, it's like £7 on steam

The guns are probably the biggest thing going against her, Snake not using guns is okay since MGS is primarily a stealth game so who knows honestly.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero

I saw this today and I reflected on why I don't like swordsmen in this game. The answer is that I feel that for almost every one they have another one who is similar or a copy.

Doctor3AM

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to think we're gonna have to think more outside of the box when it comes to newcomers, especially third parties. Some more surprising historical characters are needed. Maybe even a Tetronimo? As strange it would be to play as. Some other genre defining iconic third parties: Doom Guy, Lara Croft, Billy (Double Dragon), Jim Raynor (there was a Starcraft on N64 actually), Steve?, or Pitfall Harry. Representing FPS, 3D Action Adventure, Beat Em Up, RTS, Sandbox, and Platformers respectively.

Pakky

Smash Hero
5 out of 11 is almost all?

ooook then.
That's half, man. That's a little alarming, how is that not a big deal? Then again we have different definitions of what is serve and what is not.

Last edited:
That's half man. That's a little alarming.
1. less than half
2. One of them is a straight up clone. Shouldn't even count
3. Roy was from fan demand
4. Toon Link is a super popular character.

If getting characters that take up minimal dev time and are still popular is "alarming" just because of weapon choice then i dont know what to tell you.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
ZE SPY IS BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe so, but the Heavy is the most iconic.

I've even thought of some of his attacks (but not all)
Jabs: He wears his boxing gloves, and punches, similar to Little Mac
Neutral Special: He shoots with the shot-gun
Side special: He uses his trademark weapon. This has a lot of start-up lag, but you can move around while it uses it's start-up lag, but not when it shoots.
Down special: He eats his sandvich, and he recovers health. Of course, you'll have to wait a bit before eating it again.
Recovery: Similar to Little Mac
Final Smash: The Heavy yells "DOCTOR!!!", and the Medic appears to Uber-charge him, while the Heavy uses a more powerful version of his side-special without the start-up lag.

Pakky

Smash Hero
1. less than half

If getting characters that take up minimal dev time and are still popular is "alarming" just because of weapon choice then I don't know what to tell you.
I think you missed the point.

1. 5 is half of 11 the lesser half but still half.
2. Yes which is a problem given that I said "The answer is that I feel that for almost every one they have another one who is similar or a copy."
3. Roy is still similar to Marth his popularity isn't what I was talking about nor does it matter.
4. Doesn't even apply to what I'm saying

That isn't alarming what's alarming is how similar some are to one another, clearly more could be done. For godsakes look how many of them have counters!

Morbi

Scavenger
1. less than half

If getting characters that take up minimal dev time and are still popular is "alarming" just because of weapon choice then i dont know what to tell you.
First of all, he stated that almost all had a respective similar character, that means that even if under half of them applied, his statement was objectively correct.

The straight up clone should not even count? I was operating under the assumption that the straight up clone should count MORE because, well, because we were speaking about similarities.

As for popularity, that does not magically alter their move-sets and subsequently their similarities.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
1. less than half

Oh, I thought he was trolling.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I was convinced. I mean I wanted Shovel Knight in. But for the longest time I needed more of a reason, he's a brave, strong, and Intellegent knight, has a great game with great gameplay, amazing music, and charming characters! He'd also bring something new with his shovel blade and relics. I support him and it was solidified 100% so I believe the rumor. I won't be dead to me and Shovel Knight deconfirmed till the presentation. I don't know if he'll be in but I hope so we'll see.

Morbi

Scavenger
So I was convinced. I mean I wanted Shovel Knight in. But for the longest time I needed more of a reason, he's a brave, strong, and Intellegent knight, has a great game with great gameplay, amazing music, and charming characters! He'd also bring something new with his shovel blade and relics. I support him and it was solidified 100% so I believe the rumor. I won't be dead to me and Shovel Knight deconfirmed till the presentation. I don't know if he'll be in but I hope so we'll see.
I have no problem with Shovel Knight; however, at this point, they have had multiple and ample opportunities to reveal him that I feel as though they would have done it already if he was in the game. If he is in the game, a lot of the hype is going to be inherently attenuated. Not only that, but we are, to an extent, getting the "Chrom Effect." I believe the Shovel Knight Amiibo and whatnot are more or less compensation or a compromise for his absence. But hey, I am overly biased because I expect Banjo and Kazooie to be one of the other DLC characters. Shovel Knight sort of contradicts that and therefore I am obligated to try and refute his inclusion.

D

Deleted member

I have no problem with Shovel Knight; however, at this point, they have had multiple and ample opportunities to reveal him that I feel as though they would have done it already if he was in the game. If he is in the game, a lot of the hype is going to be inherently attenuated. Not only that, but we are, to an extent, getting the "Chrom Effect." I believe the Shovel Knight Amiibo and whatnot are more or less compensation or a compromise for his absence. But hey, I am overly biased because I expect Banjo and Kazooie to be one of the other DLC characters. Shovel Knight sort of contradicts that and therefore I am obligated to try and refute his inclusion.
Hey that's fine, I respect your option. I would love Banjo-Kazooie in. Guess we'll soon see.

Alice Margatroid

Doll Judgement
I don't troll.

I apologize, that was rather rude of me (and pretty hypocritical considering what I've said in this thread before).

Anyways, I would imagine it is rather difficult to make sword-wielding characters all completely unique from each other, as there's only so much you can do with a sword.

I think Smash did a lovely job at trying. Even the clones play differently from each other, besides maybe Marth/Lucina.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
You know how speculation is; if you have an unpopular opinion, you are automatically assumed to be a troll because how could you ever possibly believe that how swordsmen characters were handled was not the very best?!
Yeah, I don't take it personally is just a little frustrating.

I apologize, that was rather rude of me (and pretty hypocritical considering what I've said in this thread before).

Anyways, I would imagine it is rather difficult to make sword-wielding characters all completely unique from each other, as there's only so much you can do with a sword.

I think Smash did a lovely job at trying. Even the clones play differently from each other, besides maybe Marth/Lucina.
It's fine. However I have a hard time being lineate when such feats as making a flavor sprite into a fully realized fighter (DHD) are possible.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I don't think this is a good idea Kremling, you're only going to be disapointed in the end. Believing a rumor that's almost dead is not a good idea, I should know, it happened with me and Gematsu, when I was expecting Chrom to be revealed and it ended up being Robin and Lucina. So Kremling, I strongly recommend not doing this, as you're only setting yourself up for disapointment in the end. Whether or not you decide to take my advice is up for you to decide, although I strongly suggest taking it. However you're still aloud to support Shovel Knight as you please, but I would not recommend this route of choice. However you don't have to listen to me, it's only advice, and you may discard it if you desire. After all, I'm not your voice of reasoning, however I'm a friend that's here to help, and that's what friends are for. So do what you'd like.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think this is a good idea Kremling, you're only going to be disapointed in the end. Believing a rumor that's almost dead is not a good idea, I should know, it happened with me and Gematsu, when I was expecting Chrom to be revealed and it ended up being Robin and Lucina. So Kremling, I strongly recommend not doing this, as you're only setting yourself up for disapointment.
Not really. If Cloud is any indication of who we may be getting I'll be happy about it. Shovel Knight also continues to get support due to things like Plague Of Shadows and Specter and King Knight who also are getting DLC. If he doesn't get I'll be fine. I'll just be happy he was considered and continue supporting him in his series and to be in a future Smash game. I ain't gonna be disappointed cause I love that blue knight and his series will continue to grow. So hopefully one day he gets in, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't get in but I hope one day, he'll get in. I stand by Shovel Knight forever, and in the words of Shovel Knight steal thy shovel for shovelry!

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Not really. If Cloud is any indication of who we may be getting I'll be happy about it. Shovel Knight also continues to get support due to things like Plague Of Shadows and Specter and King Knight who also are getting DLC. If he doesn't get I'll be fine. I'll just be happy he was considered and continue supporting him in his series and to be in a future Smash game. I ain't gonna be disappointed cause I love that blue knight and his series will continue to grow. So hopefully one day he gets in, but I won't be disappointed if he doesn't get in but I hope one day, he'll get in. I stand by Shovel Knight forever, and in the words of Shovel Knight steal thy shovel for shovelry!
Oh, okay, I understand! I see that you're unsure? Am I right there? Well anyways, I'm not expecting him, but if you do then that's completely fine, even if I don't think he'll be in, I respect that you continue to support him, and in the end, that's what matters, because you want what you want and play who you play! Anyways, I think that we've discussed this enough, I'm gonna turn the book to a new page, yes I'm going there, I pick Paper Mario as our next subject!

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
We need to talk more about Style Savvy, Fighting with Fashion could be super fun

Also it kinda pains me to say this but with two songs and a trophy in the 3DS version...
it has more presence in Smash than Golden Sun

D

Deleted member

Oh, okay, I understand! I see that you're on the edge? Am I right there? Well anyways, I'm not expecting him, but if you do then that's completely fine, even if I don't think he'll be in, I respect that you continue to support him, and in the end, that's what matters, because you want what you want and play who you play! Anyways, I think that we've discussed this enough, I'm gonna turn the book to a new page, yes I'm going there, I pick Paper Mario as our next subject!
Nope completely not on edge. Just supporting the little blue guy no matter what. But let's move on. Paper Mario would be a great addition.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
We need to talk more about Style Savvy, Fighting with Fashion could be super fun

Also it kinda pains me to say this but with two songs and a trophy in the 3DS version...
it has more presence in Smash than Golden Sun
Is that bad thing? Kappa

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nope completely not on edge. Just supporting the little blue guy no matter what. But let's move on. Paper Mario would be a great addition.
But we already have a little blue guy... :4sonic:

:troll:
I'm just messing with ya!

Anyways, yeah he'd be a fun addition and is next in line for a Mario rep imo.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I guess Paper Mario would be cool... but do we really need a another Mario character? Sure you could say he'll represent a different series, like Yoshi, DK, and Wario does, but in the end, they're still Mario characters.

D

Deleted member

But we already have a little blue guy... :4sonic:

:troll:

Anyways, yeah he'd be a fun addition and is next in line for a Mario rep imo.
Oh no I mean the third little blue guy! Not hedgehog or robot the one who's not in the knight. But hey yeah moving on. Paper Mario should represent the Paper Mario series though.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh no I mean the third little blue guy! Not hedgehog or robot the one who's not in the knight. But hey yeah moving on. Paper Mario should represent the Paper Mario series though.
Then again he is part of the Mario series, in fact here's his stage's icon...

So he'd actually be a Mario character.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
How about Yarn Yoshi?
Is this a joke?

You could say he represents the Paper Mario series, but in the end he's still another Mario character. not saying another Mario character shouldn't make it, but they take up more than half a row on the character select screen. Mario has a lot of representation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then again he is part of the Mario series, in fact here's his stage's icon...

So he'd actually be a Mario character.
Wario's icon as a Trophy was that too. And then it changed when he became playable. If Paper Mario is DLC or in the next game, he may or may not get a new symbol. We don't know yet. We have evidence that he could get a new icon(although I doubt it if he's DLC, as Wario had to wait a game to get that new icon). Well, more that we have evidence that this has happened before.

D

Deleted member

It's kinda biased option of me wanting him in Mario's my favourite character and my main. And although I've never played Paper Mario I enjoy it. Paper Mario could bring so much, his hammer, kicking, the Koopa shells, folding into paper form ECT.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I guess Paper Mario would be cool... but do we really need a another Mario character? Sure you could say he'll represent a different series, like Yoshi, DK, and Wario does, but in the end, they're still Mario characters.
And would it be terrible that the biggest Nintendo series got a 6th character with a fully unique moveset?
It'd be our current Pokemon lineup with :4luigi: and :4drmario: added.

We don't need a character from any particular series.

We want series and games that do well to get their justification. That's why we get such feverish demand for characters like K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Inklings.

I have my issues about Paper Mario coming as DLC or in Smash 5 due to issues with his recent titles and characters' movesets being most taken from what's recent, but him being from Mario shouldn't be held against him. A four-game RPG series that's done as well as Paper Mario getting a character shouldn't be shunned upon when you look at :4ness::4shulk:.

Edit:
Because Yarn Yoshi plays damn-near identical to Yoshi from the Island trilogy and Story in his home game, just with differences in animation to accompany the art style.

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace

Gimmick

Smash Ace
And would it be terrible that the biggest Nintendo series got a 6th character with a fully unique moveset?
It'd be our current Pokemon lineup with :4luigi: and :4drmario: added.

We don't need a character from any particular series.

We want series and games that do well to get their justification. That's why we get such feverish demand for characters like K. Rool, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Inklings.

I have my issues about Paper Mario coming as DLC or in Smash 5 due to issues with his recent titles and characters' movesets being most taken from what's recent, but him being from Mario shouldn't be held against him. A four-game RPG series that's done as well as Paper Mario getting a character shouldn't be shunned upon when you look at :4ness::4shulk:.

Edit:
Because Yarn Yoshi plays damn-near identical to Yoshi from the Island trilogy and Story in his home game, just with differences in animation to accompany the art style.
I recommend reading through the thread. If anything he'd be a semi-clone, but even then he still has a significant amount of differences from normal Yoshi. Just look at the specials I came up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom