• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

December and and are information about Cloud, a final presentation from Masahiro Sakurai before a break, and are DLC can't come soon enough.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't think that's a thing. I've never heard of a game's DLC being rated differently. Online components sure, but not DLC.
The "Online Interactions not rated by the ESRB" is basically a bubble that says "WE CAN'T BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF PEOPLE CURSE YOU OUT ON VOICE CHAT OR DRAW PHALLUS ON MIIVERSE."

DLC is bound to the game's rating.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
So today I discovered that in terms of sells Mortal Kombat outranks Street Fighter. Just thought I mention that. Not really trying to start a conversation or anything...

But seriously though. For some reason I get the feeling that December=Sub-Zero. Anyway, lets not go to deep into that.

Burruni

Smash Hero
So today I discovered that in terms of sells Mortal Kombat outranks Street Fighter. Just thought I mention that. Not really trying to start a conversation or anything...

But seriously though. For some reason I get the feeling that December=Sub-Zero. Anyway, lets not go to deep into that.
Besides "law by scale" when we look at Street Fighter waiting for it's 5th major release while Mortal Kombat has recently hit its Xth.

Source? Numbers?

Edit: I can toss out the message that "Yokai Watch sold more than Pokemon X or Y separately," and it has about the same effect.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902

Mortal Kombat may sell more, but Street Fighter contributed more.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mortal Kombat may sell more, but Street Fighter contributed more.
And to be fair, Killer Instinct outright defined combos(as well as Combo Breakers and Announcer Chatter). They all ultimately made fighting games what they were, amazing games with combos, hilarious announcers, and the ability to counter attacks.

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Besides "law by scale" when we look at Street Fighter waiting for it's 5th major release while Mortal Kombat has recently hit its Xth.

Source? Numbers?

Edit: I can toss out the message that "Yokai Watch sold more than Pokemon X or Y separately," and it has about the same effect.
Just look it up. Also, I hope you realize that most people already pre-purchased the beta version of SF5. That's also not taking into account that there are still people waiting for the MK X: Komplete Edition.
1. Tekken 42 million
2. Mortal Kombat 37 million
3. Street Fighter 36 million
Nothing significant. Just saying.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Just look it up. Also, I hope you realize that most people already pre-purchased the beta version of SF5. That's also not taking into account that there are still people waiting for the MK X: Komplete Edition.
1. Tekken 42 million
2. Mortal Kombat 37 million
3. Street Fighter 36 million
Nothing significant. Just saying.
Impact vs sales. Again, Mortal Kombat sold more, but Street Fighter had a larger impact, Tekken also made a huge impact, hence why Heihachi was considered for Smash (but was made into a Mii costume)

Troykv

Smash Master
Eh. I see him more as another Yoshi rep. rather than Mario.

Anyway, lets do another topic. Who were your top 5 picks for the smash ballot?

• Tiki (Fire Emblem)
  • Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
  • Issac (Golden Sun)
  • Valkyrie (Valkyrie) ]
  • Superman (DC Comics)
The only character that I remembered voted are

• Micaiah
  • Roy (and this one was already confirmed xD)

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Impact vs sales. Again, Mortal Kombat sold more, but Street Fighter had a larger impact, Tekken also made a huge impact, hence why Heihachi was considered for Smash (but was made into a Mii costume)
Eh... They all had a significant impact of the history of gaming. There's really no point to be made there. I also honestly don't think that comparing there impacts is a good idea due to how different they were.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
And? Marth's are girl and that doesn't make her anything special. My goal in life is to eradicate Roy players from the face of the planet. :evil:

:4feroy::4dk::salt:
our*

and we are not going anywhere...yes I play Roy...cuz he's our boy! ^_^

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
Ever since I played a certain overlooked Wii gem, I've wanted Prince Fluff playable in Smash.

And? Marth's are girl and that doesn't make her anything special. My goal in life is to eradicate Roy players from the face of the planet. :evil:

:4feroy::4dk::salt:
Good luck mr Salty boy. Have fun taking down thousands with your fake genocide

(The hell is with people being so aggressive?)

oh and source for the DLC being rated in case anyone was suspicious but cant access google (moble sucks.)
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/faq.aspx#16.5
Where, however, the content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not sure if that was serious.

Anyway, I voted for
  • K. Rool
  • Isaac
  • Bandana Dee
  • Paper Mario
  • Lip
And many others. But these for the most part.

:231:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Not sure if that was serious.

Anyway, I voted for
  • K. Rool
  • Paper Mario
And many others. But these for the most part.

:231:
I like those two.:094:

Anyway, the character i voted are:

King.K.Rool.
Shantae
Paper Mario
Sylux

I hope one of them will get in the game.
(But if not, i think i will still be happy with what we got.)

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well if we are doing this again...I voted for these characters...
  • Midna (many times)
  • Dark Samus
  • Ridley
  • Impa

I had actually considered voting for Cloud at one point and thought...nah that's never gonna happen...then...well y'know...

1. Viridi (still my most wanted impossibility)
2. Ridley (probably voted the most for. Even sent a vote to the japanese ballot page lol. I was determined to help for smash 5)
3. Wonder Red (it's his only chance)
4. Agne Oblige.
5. Dixie Kong (the only one with a chance)

Yeah needless to say I didn't expect much from DLC. I was quite surprised how much I loved it. :4feroy::4ryu::4cloud:

Morbi

Scavenger
It does beg the question of whether or not Sub-Zero (and perhaps Scorpion) could get a Mii Costume in the same vein as Heihachi or the the Virtua Fighter characters (Akira and Jacky). Although Street Fighter had a more observable impact on the industry as a whole, I believe it would be fair to say that Mortal Kombat influenced quite a bit here in the West and sales figures are somewhat indicative of that sentiment.

I just wonder in general how many unrelated third-party characters, like Lloyd Irving, might get Mii costumes as this December presentation is the last. The only one I can think of is Shovel Knight.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ah, didn't think she was in that. Wow the game's roster is bad. Not even being mean, it's just bad.
No Cloud. No Snake. No Alucard. No Lara Croft. No Spyro. No Crash Bandicoot. No Abe (Oddworld). No Jill Valentine. No Mega Man Volnutt. Tsk. Tsk.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Thing is, what differentiates the Paper Mario franchise from the Mario franchise? AFAIK It's literally the same world, but paper. At least with Yoshi or DK, the world's are heavily depart from basic Mario tropes. Even Warioware does. If Paper Mario were to ever make it, he'd represent the Mario series.
I got called by the poster to cover my taker on that argument so here we go :)

I don;t think the icon would change this much tbh. Cause really, both could happen and still be fine. If he has a different icon, that would mean that you would take the paper mario series as a separate branch of mario which tbh is kinda of accurate, but the other solution being a branch of the mainline mario AS the fact that paper mario is a parallel version of mario......is accurate too!

But if I break it down to character reps something bigger than themselves and this something is represented by an icon, both becomes possible. Except there's one thing that makes me think he would more have a mario icon: the actual fact of being a parallel version of mario. Of course, he's not mario, but being a parallel version makes him share similar category and similar origin even though they aren;t the same. it's just that idk why dr mario would be mario icon and not paper mario so if I take Sakurai as trying to be consistent in the icons choice, idk why it wouldn;t be the maro one at this point. I mean, even his stage is mario icon and tbh, it's not bad either, Paper Mario is a branch of the mario franchise, the different character would already do the difference, the icon isn;t necessary this much.

TL;DR: it's more likely because of consistency and the fact hat mario is a parallel version of mario that his series shares the mario icon.

I voted for these:
  • King K. Rool
  • Bandana Dee
  • Wolf
  • Captain Toad
  • Gengar
I voted Gengar only once, and don't have much faith on him. If only the last vote (for each device) counts, I voted for King K. Rool, Bandana Dee and Captain Toad, all of them once.

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
I would love for Young Link to return in the form of the Fierce Deity. I could imagine his trailer/reveal being extremely trollish too.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
  1. Maxwell
  2. Bandana Waddle Dee
  3. Daitoryo
  4. Isaac
  5. Dynal
I was going to vote for more characters, but I figured there was no point.

I have some hope that the things I wrote for Maxwell and Daitoryo would help them at least be considered.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If Sonic was going to get a second character...

I'm sorry.

There's one choice who's king.

Wow! Where did you find this image?

The console sales doesn't take into account how well SF did at the arcades.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Been lookin at releases and I think I see that Sakurai pattern.

GENRES:

Platformer: Sonic(MAYBE Megaman, in which case Sonic's inclusion is as Ninty's rival)
Action: Megaman(if Sonic's the platformer, otherwise no Action)
Arcade: Pac-Man
Fightering: Ryu
RPG: Cloud

Looks like 3rd parties are for genres Sakurai's down with, and we haven't gotten a repeat yet. Nintendo DLC meanwhile's been trips to the wayback machine.

Strongly feel we ain't gonna see Geno or Simon or any of that nonsense. Snake maybe, but that's 'cause he fits in with the DLC = Wayback

Ballot don't mean squat 'cause the amount of tears and salt that come from that is gonna be extinction-level.

Basically if your character comes from a genre already on that list and they're not Nintendo-exclusive then you ****ed dog. Even if you're Ninty-exclusive but I'm figuring it's just oldies coming back instead of anyone new(Wolf, Pichu, maybe Snake. RIP Krystal, K.Rool, etc).

Last edited:

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Or the fact that MK had much more console games than SF and they still barely broke a million from it
Hold on a second? What are you talking about? Mortal Kombat only has 8 games in the main series. The rest are just enhanced versions, or re-releases. If were counting spin-offs and re-releases then there are only 20 Mortal Kombat games. If we do the same for Street Fighter then it has 25 plus games in the series.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I voted for...
Bandana Dee
Bandana Dee
Bandana Dee
Bandana Dee
BANDANA DEE
Yeah, I didn't have much verity in my votes, but then again, he was the only character I wanted that had a chance much like A Distant Demon A Distant Demon 's votes, and I felt it was right to vote for just one character, so yeah. :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I never understood the whole gore thing. Is it really that hard to tone down? You can't tell me that PSABA can tone down the likes of Kratos, Dante, and Big Daddy, but Sakurai can't.
PSASBR was aiming for an older crowd given that most of it's franchises represented are either T or M rated. The outliers are Jak, Ratchet, Toro, Spike, Sackboy, Sly and Fat Princess, which is less than half the roster. Even Ratchet is questionable in this regard given the hilarious amounts of adult-oriented content in his series(and the fact that Insomniac has said that R&C is for a older crowd and not kids). The fact that PSASBR itself is T rated allows them to get away with stuff like realistic gunplay(which Snake in Brawl darted around completely) and more mature themes(which can easily be circumvented for Ryu and Cloud).

When gore is essential to your character, yes, it is hard to tone down for a game rated E10+. In something T rated? I can understand that, but in a game that caters to more age groups than simply the older crowd, there's good reason to believe it would be tough to tone down.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I voted for;

• Impa
  • Medusa
  • King K Rool
  • Bayonetta
Kinda wish I voted for more characters - specifically the ones I started to want months after the ballot started, like Ivysuar or Shantae.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee
Waluigi
Ganon
Anna
Shantae
Inklings
Black Mage good to know that one was friggin wasted

Edit: I namely just went down my top 10 wanted list and stopped at 7.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I only voted for Tails

But I am aware he's a long shot at this point (But I think he has a shot at Smash 5 if the trend for 3rd Parties keeps growing) and will accept anyone deserving of being in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom