• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Triple post! :D

Two things:

1. Use u-tilt more. For a while I never used this, until IronChief (IC player) enlightened me. For one thing, it has a long duration, so if someone tries to punish with a grab, the other climber immediately breaks it. In general though, it's just a fantastic aerial counter. Use it in close range from a wavedash when you predict a SH. It combos beautifully into grab or d-smash vs. fastfallers, and b-air vs. anyone else.

2. This one is a new grab finisher (I think). It's another form of the DI mix-up. Grab -> charge a d-smash -> b-throw, release the smash. It hits them backwards. Like the u-throw f-smash, most people DI backwards + up to survive the smash, and instead it sends them flying the other way.

Another funny variation is grab -> charge backwards f-smash -> u-throw/d-throw, release smash. Not very consistant though; the f-smash tends to never send them in the same direction.

byron

Smash Apprentice
one thing I learned that is kind of usefull is to grab then back throw and wavedash back at the same time then grab this will make u throw fox backwards and nanna catches him before he can do anything nanna will most of the time throw him back to u or up throw and that lets u do some funny stuff I did it to zeus one time in a friendly but its still work in progress. also the standard d- throw d-air works better,this just looks cooler.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
You can also do it (on large characters) by tilting backwards and up while pressing Z. Done correctly, this should make Popo b-throw, Nana run and JC grab behind you. This version only works on characters like Bowser, DK, Falcon, etc. though. I'll try that out.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I mentioned this trick ages ago, but only now have I been seeing usefulness, so I feel like posting about it.

Split Back-Air

Dash dance towards the opponent, dash dance away, short hop back-air. You and Nana can separate by a large distance (still remaining sync'ed, though) and throw out relatively safe b-airs. This works well because it creates a threat (back-air) while leaving you free to wavedash in and punish if they attack Nana. It sucks using her as bait, but I'll do anything to land grabs and smashes.

There's a psychological advantage too, when the opponent hits about twenty times and realizes you're still only at ten percent.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Wobbles- To not forget that the opponent will have to think twice before chasing you.

Is it only me or is the real thing to use agaainst peach bair?, spacing bairs might lead to hits which should equal edgeguard. Seems like a good pressuretool against fox/falco too..

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
wow haven't been around here in a while. Anyways I think I'm gonna pick up the snowbabies again.

Blizzards, b-air, and light shielding are your best friends against Peach.
Short hopped blizzard/Nanapults set Peach up for grabs and smashes while she's in the typical Peach float height.
B-airs work well for shield pressuring and spacing. b-air outta shield seems to do wonders for me.
Light-shielding is soo important against d-smash. Peaches d-smash against a light shield will push you away rather than suck you in, this allows for easy WD grab/jab grabs from shield.

Sleepy

Smash Ace
I always thought solo popo was a game of rock paper scissors. Except you shoot yourself in the foot if you miss a smash or grab.

With that said, if you're good at guessing what your opponent is gonna do and guarding the options he has, you can actually trick him into falling for popo's solo antics. Since solo popo isn't encumbered with the task of resyncing nana, he actually opens up his small options (dash dancing, lots more wavelanding). Don't get me wrong, these are just more tools to the trade. Certian characters will seem to wipe the floor against solo popo, with his lack of recovery potential and suprising options, but think of it this way, with a dash dance and quick wd at your disposal, you can fight your opponent with a few more options than you wouldn't have in certian cases with nana around.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
takes a lot of precise spacing and experience to play sopo well

hey hows everyones christmas season going

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
My sopo was **** until something like June, lol.

My Christmas season has been alright; I've just been playing Grandia the whole time so far. I want to see if I can get through the remaining 40 or so hours before WCSL.

PB&J

Smash Hero
my Christmas season is going good..im up in ny, played with jman,dj nintendo, hax and many more..and m2k has been ****** my bad habbits so ive been just training my nana up

PB&J

Smash Hero
i've been practicing with locals then every once in a while visit iori/chad/ihsb/NES/nite so i get some real good 12-16 hours of practice there :)
can't wait till see u guys at to4 its going to be fun..have u been getting better against iori yet

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Useless trick on YS

So... you know how wavedashing on slopes makes Nana jump? And how if Nana is on low platforms you can control her? On YS, do a short wd on the slope near the edge, and Nana will jump onto the platform. She doesn't do anything until she lands, so you can desynch before she lands on the platform. You're desynched with Nana on the platform about you, the obvious problem being that you can't move without losing Nana.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
ok, i have to ask this so i can stop saying it to people if it's not true.

Is IC/Peach an impossible matchup, or is it just retardedly hard?

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Peach has a significant advantage.

Off the top of my head, Wobbles managed to take a game off of Cort's peach, but Chu counterpicked pikachu. On a lower level it's definitely possible though.

Zjiin

Smash Master
Against good peach players, yeah it's pretty **** hard, but there's a good chance all the peach players you will play are going to be horrible, looking to dsmash their way to victory. If you can get down mindgaming them so they aerial -> l cancelled dsmash in front of you, you've got a free grab. At this point it should be apparently what the rest of the match should look like.

S.D

Smash Master
Yeah a good peach wrecks Ice Climbers. Even Chu can't handle top Peaches. If you HAVE to try I suggest using a lot of light shield to protect against dair combos and also to push yourself away from the d smash so that you dont get caught when your shield starts to diminish. SH blizzards and f airs can help shut down the floating **** as well.

Edit: Just read Azn Lep's post says pretty much the same thing, sorry to cover the same ground xD

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i stopped trying as well. i use sheik/marth against her

it is possible, but sometimes fighting a 30:70 uphill battle is just pointless

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Spaced b-air is good for pressuring shields. For some reason whenever I hit a shield, attacking feels safer than grabbing; usually I'll do something like b-air -> d-smash (surprisingly good) to shield poke, or b-air -> b-air/f-smash/u-tilt if I think they'll drop their shield.

Vts

Smash Champion
been playing against few peaches here and there now and used spaced back airs works really well, dair is just dumb to use better off with nair or fair if rushing them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Beating Peach is possible. but maintaining that level of play consistently under tournament pressure is incredibly difficult. It's about a 35:65 matchup to me, and playing uphill battles during a tournament is a pretty irrational. If you do beat a Peach in tournament and stay dedicated to IC's, more power to you.

Binx

Smash Master
Hey guys, help me decide on a shirt for Genesis

OR

The back on either shirt will be

I'll keep my opinion out of it for the time being =)

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah I'm sort of leaning towards that one as well, if anyone sees any really cool pics of ICs laying around I would love some PMs with links.

S.D

Smash Master
Go with the first one Binx it's smexy.

Also everybody likes to pick Peach vs Icies because they know even if they are semi decent the matchup is ****ed up. I usually try with Icies first round then CP Falcon or Marth or something if it doesn't work out.

No point beating your head up against a brick wall.

Top Bottom