• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Binx

Smash Master
so Let me see if I have the inputs for this strait, dash left(or right), dash right(or left), input the command for a wavedash while still dashing right? (will this cause popo to jump? I dash dance blizzard plenty I think it works because I crouch, as for ICE blocks I have done dash dance nana blocks but its very inconsistent and I don't know why it works when it does.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
****, firefox just lost my post.

And wow, I really suck at explaining stuff. :p

I think the pivot -> Ice Block is what Phen made a video of (the pivot -> Ice Block -> Nanapult), but I still can't get it down.

To do the desynch Wobbles's way, press X/Y while Popo is pivoting. He decides not to jump, either because he's busy pivoting or he just didn't feel like it. Nana will do a jump by herself, canceling her dash animation because she doesn't pivot (short-hop works best). Then you can SH Ice Block/SH Blizzard with her as Popo stops running, and I believe any aerial with the C-stick as well.

The input for the wavedash is this: Dash away, dash forward + press X/Y + L/R + direction.

It is exactly like wavedashing with a pivot before it, but you have to time it so that the wavedash comes in as Popo is changing directions.

Binx

Smash Master
Interesting, I'll have to mess around with this, could you have nana do smashes and popo do nothing this way?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
Pivoting is... what again? Isn't it when you do a dash dance but hit a button before you actualy turn or something like that? I've accidently done two dash attacks in different directions I assume that's from a pivot but I haven't been able to replicate it. Aren't accidently awesome things with the ICs the best? Oh, I didn't hit with either DA, nana got killed. :(

siresword

Smash Cadet
Pivoting is... what again? Isn't it when you do a dash dance but hit a button before you actualy turn or something like that? I've accidently done two dash attacks in different directions I assume that's from a pivot but I haven't been able to replicate it. Aren't accidently awesome things with the ICs the best? Oh, I didn't hit with either DA, nana got killed. :(
isn't a pivot like a single dash dance ? pivots have already been explained by kyu, but isn't it easier to think of them as just a non-continuous dash dance ?

random : does this pivot desynch make it easier to do that 3D thing that wobbles was talking about ? i can't desynch my ic's well enough to get them to consistently smash in both directions (or do a move in both directions besides a regular blizzard...)

Lixivium

Smash Champion
isn't a pivot like a single dash dance ? pivots have already been explained by kyu, but isn't it easier to think of them as just a non-continuous dash dance ?

random : does this pivot desynch make it easier to do that 3D thing that wobbles was talking about ? i can't desynch my ic's well enough to get them to consistently smash in both directions (or do a move in both directions besides a regular blizzard...)
Pivoting is when you turn during a dash dance and you do a standing attack during that single frame window.

Pivoting is not necessary for the bi-directional D-smash. You just WD, tilt the analog stick slightly in the opposite direction, and D-smash. Popo will turn around and Nana will be facing the original direction when they D-smash.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Pivoting and the 3D Smash are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Pivoting allows you to do a standing attack out of a dash. It is essentially a very fast dash cancel. When you dash forward and dash back (without going into the full dash animation), there is a frame in which your character is standing still. You can see this easily if you dashdance with Marth or Sheik. During this frame you can do any standing attack, most likely a smash or grab; tilting is possible but difficult.

When you pivot with Ice Climbers, some weird things happen, which I don't have a complete handle on. Popo will do the standing attack. Because Nana is 6 frames behind, she doesn't pivot and she will do a regular dash attack.

So if you dash forward, then smash backwards using the analog stick + A button, Popo will do the pivotted attack (a standing F-smash) and Nana will do the non-pivotted dash attack. Somebody else correct me if I'm wrong.

The 3D Smash is both IC's doing a D-smash in different directions. All you gotta do is WD in one direction (or even walk forward, but WD is more useful), tilt the analog stick slightly in the opposite direction, and D-smash. Popo will D-smash in one direction and Nana will D-smash in the other.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Lixivium pretty much covered it: I personally like to use the c-stick with a pivot because Nana doesn't actually do an attack. Then I can have her blizzard and it doesn't look at all like a de-sync.

If you hit jump during the turnaround, Nana will hop into the air and you'll stay on the ground. You can quickly input a B move during this time and you won't perform anything. So... iceblock or blizzard.

Either that or I jab and have her dash attack, leaving me with very little lag and allowing me to punish if they hit her, or capitalize if she connects.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I was messing around and I think I found a new desynch. I got about a 40% consistency rate but I'm still not entirely sure what's going on. I'll post more as Iearn. It may not be that useful though.

On a slightly related note, We're probably the only forum that is still consistently adding more to our metagame. That guide(whenever it's released) is gonna be huge. Who's doing the new guide and when's it gonna be done?

I friggin love IC, lol.

Binx

Smash Master
Ice Climbers are such deep under rated characters with SOOOO much potential if you are technically sound. It is amazing how many things have been done with Ice Climbers and I can't even fathom how many tactics we can discover.

On a side note: IC nair rocks face, as a community we dont use this move enough.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL I Nair -> Dthrow -> Nair -> Dthrow chain with SoPo. It's hot stuff.

[edit] Jab Tipper desynch is HOT STUFF. ^_^ I love it.

Binx

Smash Master
People have time to act after the Nair before you can grab though right? do they have time to hit you or just to roll/spot dodge? I dont try to link that often because it seems like you could get away so easily.

Binx

Smash Master
Will someone try dthrow to nana iceblock against Marth for me, I just did it on a computer and it sent them at a really good angle to follow up with Uairs, I am not sure if it is supior to usmash but it might be good for a combo. My second controller is lost ATM and all my friends are busy, thanks.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Will someone try dthrow to nana iceblock against Marth for me, I just did it on a computer and it sent them at a really good angle to follow up with Uairs, I am not sure if it is supior to usmash but it might be good for a combo. My second controller is lost ATM and all my friends are busy, thanks.
I think Up-smash does about the same damage as Ice Block -> Up-air so it's just a matter of preference. I'd rather do the Up-smash, especially at low percentages.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I know usmash works but I just want to test out new stuff for fun.
LOL you can have fun with the Up-smash. Have you ever tried doing F-throw -> JC Up-smash? Completely not useful but totally fun. :laugh:

Binx

Smash Master
I dunno, more of an experiment, if it knocks at a better angle or did more damage, or lets say they do the same damage then you could do one of each thus getting more total percent because reused attacks are reduced.

I want to find some original techniques to keep me unpredictable and comboing sexy style.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL We just need something to **** all of our counters with. Especially Marth and Samus. Such depressing match-ups..... -_-

Still haven't gotten 100% on the new desynch I discovered but I think it might be somewhat useful. It's a way to get popo to fsmash while Nana ftilts. kinda cool. Timing it seems really brutal though.

Also, pivoted jab to nana dash attack is hot stuff. I think alternating dash attacks may be my new taunt. ^_^

Binx

Smash Master
LOL We just need something to **** all of our counters with. Especially Marth and Samus. Such depressing match-ups..... -_-

Still haven't gotten 100% on the new desynch I discovered but I think it might be somewhat useful. It's a way to get popo to fsmash while Nana ftilts. kinda cool. Timing it seems really brutal though.

Also, pivoted jab to nana dash attack is hot stuff. I think alternating dash attacks may be my new taunt. ^_^
LOL, nice yeah I just learned how to pivot fsmashes but I can only do it with the A button so its limited, when I get the timing for C stick I will have a fun desynch. Wish I could remember how to do a DA dash like FLT. I dont remember the imputs but as far as I remember it was basically a slower pivot that I could maybe use for desynchs.

Zjiin

Smash Master
LOL We just need something to **** all of our counters with. Especially Marth and Samus. Such depressing match-ups.....
Samus is a bit tricky, but i don't think marth is that bad of a counter. I got in an argument lately with the marth i play all the time, and he was actually trying to prove why ICs counter marth. He complains that he can cheap out Nana as easy because i have enough time to come up to him, grab him and combo him while his attention is on nana. He also says ICs edge guards are too much for marth, but that's actually true.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
ICs counter Marth? that's funny.

i really need to improve.... I feel my game stagnating. I can't seem to pass being mediocre. >_<

Zjiin

Smash Master
ICs counter Marth? that's funny.

i really need to improve.... I feel my game stagnating. I can't seem to pass being mediocre. >_<
Our ICs/Marth games come pretty close (always down to last stock and +50%)

Who do you play against? Sometimes the lack of challenge can really stunt your skill growth.

darkcheif55

Smash Cadet
mhmm i got a question about usin ic, wat are good ways of commin back if u get knocked off, i just cant seem to do it often lol , can u plz help me out , that would be helpful

Binx

Smash Master
Jump and airdodge, jump and foward b, jump and u b, u b, forward b, or you can jump and sweetspot, you can iceblock when really high and then jump and make the sweetspot sometimes, just mix it up. And yes pressing the b button fast while doing a forward b will make you gain height, max height with forward b with both climbers is almost as high as their up B.

Also once you are on the ledge and hanging there you can press jump and probably get killed, roll and probably get killed, just stand up without attacking, waveland onto the ledge, ledge hop an attack.

EDIT: and just because, yes helping people out if often helpful for them.

bulgarian_kid

Smash Cadet
I was wondering, since you can light shield and normal sheild at the same time, could you use that to better edgeguard marth?

What I mean is, can you do the marth killer trick with nana while staying on the stage with popo? That way, marth would be forced to up b onto the stage and you could just smash him off with popo.

Binx

Smash Master
ICs dont fall fast enough to edgegaurd Marth that way if he sweetspots properly. If he doesn't sweetspot you can dsmash I believe anyways.

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for interupting the conversation, but im having trouble with short hops, and im wondering how can i land my shorthops consistantly everytime, and are they really that important?

Takumaru

Smash Lord
The only way to be able to consistantly SH is to practice it over and over again. You just have to train yourself to get a feel for it so it becomes natural. It's a pain in the neck at first but it's really important for every character.

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
Okay thanks, i will start practicing it more, but i find that somehow its easier to short hop with other charcters then the ic's

darkcheif55

Smash Cadet
what about L cancelling, is that worth it i mean i do it a few times here and there i keep forgettin about it but is it even worth it??? does it have a large impact??

Takumaru

Smash Lord
YES! L-canceling massively speeds up your game and prevents you from getting punished when you miss and aerial. If you don't see why it's necessary now you will soon.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I was toying around in training mode and think I've found a decent desynch.

As you are landing, hold L/R and 'Up' on the control stick. They both shield, but Nana jumps out of it, so you are left with Popo shielding and Nana in the air.

It functions exactly the same way as holding X/Y after you land to have Nana continually jump, but the difference is that Popo will immediately start to shield.

Nana jumps out of the shield on the first possible frame, and she can do any move by herself (by using the joystick or c-stick, Popo will roll/spotdodge, so neutral or up moves work best). If you Ice Block right after Nana leaves the ground, her jump is cancelled and she'll stay closer to the ground than a normal SH. This desynch, although situational, seems to have good speed and is easy to use.

Also an unrelated tidbit, it appears that Nana becomes unresponsive when she's just about to land (in air, slightly above ground). Therefore, you can have Popo do any move right before you land to desynch. However, most moves' starting lag is too long for the hitbox to come out in that small window of time. Ice Block props Popo up which allows him to fully Ice Block before landing (aka Landing Ice Block desynch), but I've found d-air can actually work as well. You'd probably never actually make contact with the d-air, but it reduces the amount of time Popo has to spend in the air.

Could someone with AR check up on that (if possible)? If that reasoning is correct, how many frames before landing are open, etc.

karterfreak

Smash Cadet
I was screwing around with IC's earlier, and was able to alternate between grabbing with nana/popo, sorta like an infinite using only a grab. I think it was luck though, but it was pretty cool :)

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Unfortunately, Nana's throws are random. The one exception is that when you are near the ledge, Nana will throw towards it no matter what. But there is no way to get her to consistently d-throw.

There are plenty of other chain throws you can use though. :)

Pookiez

Smash Apprentice
ICs dont fall fast enough to edgegaurd Marth that way if he sweetspots properly. If he doesn't sweetspot you can dsmash I believe anyways.
Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that the marths I play against sweet spot properly and I have bee able to z shield them by just holding diagonally down towards the ledge and hitting forward as soon as i get hit. I don't get to try to Z shield very often w/ ICs very often though. As for nana doing the Zshield ( i just realized everyone here probably calls it light shield >_>) I don't think that she would grab the ledge once hit.

Top Bottom