• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I'm not wobbling in tournament anymore.

Oh god this is going to get quoted.

Anyway, I just realized that I play the game in order to entertain and have people cheer at me. At SMYM when I had 20 people cheering for me in at least 4 of my sets I realized that that was the funnest I have ever had playing melee. It isn't because I want to win it is because I want to entertain and have people wanting me to win. Having no brothers/sisters I'm not used to having people "on my side" and I really liked it at SMYM.

I still will fight for the legalization of wobbling but I don't think I'll do it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahahhaha. its stressful for me cuz im always salty about losing them. i wanna play them in a non-tourny environment LOL. or at least play them with less stress even when i am at a tourny

john!

Smash Hero
wavedash oos

downsmash and sometimes fsmash

grab and punish hard

wavedash oos

tech chase everything

jab a lot to fux with their timing

keep your ***** close by and always try to save her because she is your soulmate

wavedash oos

you now know how to play ice climbers thanks to the John Method™

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Grim- If you usually do different chaingrabs when you´ve got both popo and nana close together when grabbing.
Test going for a different mixup: throw them, pressure with Nana walking to make them roll in the direction you want, then smash them(hopefully with both popo and nana), I know I´ve been neglecting the brutal power of double techchased smashes.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
It mostly consisted of you screaming, Reneblade saying he was going to throw up, and occasionally you two playing smash terribly.

voorhese

Smash Master
why is it that when nana up throws under a platform, they always land on the platform like they got hit down to the platform?

and how can we use this? can we desych have her grab, and jump up and wd down onto the platform into a jab reset? is it techable? it happened to me like 3 times in a row the other night, and i havent played since so i havent been able to explore it further.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Meanwhile, I feel a little embarrassed about how I played today, although I somehow did really well overall anyways. Lovage kind of ***** me, but he's a smarter and more precise player than I am in general, so it's not that surprising.

edit: I think I'm just in a bit of an emo mood. I'll get over it soon enough.

In other news, I think my Peach is better in doubles than my ICs are.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
why is it that when nana up throws under a platform, they always land on the platform like they got hit down to the platform?

and how can we use this? can we desych have her grab, and jump up and wd down onto the platform into a jab reset? is it techable? it happened to me like 3 times in a row the other night, and i havent played since so i havent been able to explore it further.
It's got a really high rate of doing that against certain characters. I see it happen pretty frequently against Marth, Sheik, Peach, and Falcon; basically the humanoid characters. I think it has to do with how their hitboxes contort as they spin. Kinda like how using certain aerials will cause characters to land on platforms even as they're rising.

I really wanted to start doing jab resets or d-smashes depending on percent, but I'm never fast enough to get up there without just eating a get-up attack. It's usually their response, and if you've jumped and haven't landed right away then you really have no maneuvering options to avoid it. And then you're de-synced above platforms without a double jump, which sucks big time.

If you COULD do this pretty consistently, then you'd have 3/4 really good throws for getting followup doing basic handoffs in the middle of the platform stages. You could re-grab after d-throw and f-throw, and get resets off the u-throw at the edge of platforms to set-up for more handoffs! And b-throw isn't the best but I've gotten neat follow-ups off that too, so the handoff mid-stage can give you really cool endings.

Think I'm going to practice it now, actually.

Edit:

Kay little bit of info on this.

1) every character has the same throw-time for the u-throw. We knew this but I'm saying it because it means that...
2) if you can't do it on one, you can't do it on any. Maybe people with sharper reflexes than me will be able to start doing this.
3) Characters end up behind you, meaning to score a reset you'd need to turn and jab. I've just BARELY been able to land a d-smash off the missed tech (which of course no player's going to be getting except by total accident, or extensive practice) but I can't seem to score jabs. And it's hard for me to tell whether I'm just guessing the grab is coming or genuinely reacting.
4) Only seems to happen on Yoshi's Story. Haven't checked for random PS platforms during the transformations. Also I only tested it on Marth before I got distracted by practicing other random stuff lol.

Vts

Smash Champion
Well driving back from an out of state tournament and won doubles and got 2nd in singles . Lost to saberguy (doubles team mate) in GF was so sleepy so messed up everything :( but was fun

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
So I am curious what move do people use when trying to stop Falco/Fox/Falcon from throwing Nana when they grab her?

I think that Blizzard is the only one that beats grab priority, I am making a mental not to try and use it more. I alway try a tilt or smash but always looks to fox/falco dthrow.

and

I was doing a hand off and then smashed a fox, I was desynched from the handoff so I started iceblocking, for fun (friendly match) I jumped and blizzarded since I was on the edge of the level I did not land when I blizzarded but I fell all the way to my doom.

the interesting thing was is that i caught the fox in my blizzard and took him with me. might be a useful trick when at a high percent if we can sacrifice nana or ourselves for a whole stock.

lastly I have been fooling around and I think that we should add a third state to our states of ice climbers (if synched is #1 and desynched is #2) I think that we should start thinking in terms of being semi-synched where nana follows your actions but is not entirely synched or desynched. Like when she has slightly more shield lag or is stuck in a pivot or something.

I tend to be in this state a lot with my sloppy wave dashes out of shield and my poor overall accuracy of movement.

a few advantages of it are spaced is blocks we already know this from being purely desynched. but a few moves like fair/fsmash/dsmash/upsmash tend to have really good results.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hello everyone. friendly marth main picking up a sheik counter. I will of course read the matchup guides but first i've been playing a few games to get used to the char. However, I can't seem to solo chain grab very long with popo. what percentages should it work at if they DI away and jump? Do i need to JC the grab or is dash grab higher range like with some chars?

Top Bottom