• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The Luigi matches mostly looked reasonable. You don't always punish him as hard as you can when you get him above you. Like, sometimes he'll be coming at you directly above and you could utilt or sh uair him, but you instead decide to DD out of the way and try to grab him when he lands, which can be really hard on Luigi. Sometimes you also get him above you, but don't try to stay in a position such that it's hard for him to descend, but fortunately you don't do that often. I think you DD around a little too much sometimes. DD'ing is fine for setting up blizzard, but it's not that useful against Luigi aside from that because he's not a character who really plays precise spacing games, and sometimes you'd be running back and forth and he'd just zoom in and hit you. You occasionally try to rush him when you don't have any reasonable shot at hitting him, but again, you don't do that too often.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Oh yeah, Peef, you need to learn how to deal with platform-happy Foxes better. When playing Microwave, you would often try to deal with his top platform-camping by hitting him with fair or bair. You generally want to deal with that strat by poking with uair from directly below. You do need to mix-up exactly when you choose to uair; you can do this a variety of ways. For example, you can full-jump below the top platform, and start descending (with or without fastfalling) for a brief period before double jumping with uair. You also don't want to actually board the top platform unless you're really sure that you can hit Fox in the process.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I still have trouble with observing Fox carefully and predicting the line of attack or escape he'll take. This is what I am currently working the hardest on!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm. if i ever lose a lead vs fox, i'm gonna take a moment to recognize why i got hit hahah. i gotta stay conscious about that

i dont get to play against foxes that often though sigh

i should go to sfat's house!

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, Peef, you need to learn how to deal with platform-happy Foxes better. When playing Microwave, you would often try to deal with his top platform-camping by hitting him with fair or bair. You generally want to deal with that strat by poking with uair from directly below. You do need to mix-up exactly when you choose to uair; you can do this a variety of ways. For example, you can full-jump below the top platform, and start descending (with or without fastfalling) for a brief period before double jumping with uair. You also don't want to actually board the top platform unless you're really sure that you can hit Fox in the process.
Yeah that was a tiring and exhausting set. I had a pool of 7 people and no break before plunging directly into singles bracket. First round I played my rival Smeesh and it came down to last match. I did a 22-157-Death grab combo though to end it =D

Hopefully it makes top-10 plays of SMYM. Thanks for watching the stream BTW.

Cia

das kwl
I was going through some old stuff on this board. I though this was pretty funny.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. Regardless, this thread fills me with enough hate that I would actually stab myself in the groin if I thought it would delete it from my memory.

Gigabowser can't be grabbed.
Gigabowser is not an IC counter because he is not legal.
Thread is over.

:teemo:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Usually handoff just isn't worth it on Falcon even though it's pretty doable, since he's so heavy and the extra damage doesn't make it worth the risk of messing up. I prefer to just stick with d-throw reverse dair on him, since it's a million times easier to do (I could do it in my sleep).

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Usually handoff just isn't worth it on Falcon even though it's pretty doable, since he's so heavy and the extra damage doesn't make it worth the risk of messing up. I prefer to just stick with d-throw reverse dair on him, since it's a million times easier to do (I could do it in my sleep).
Yeah but I was shooting for the SMYM Top 10. Gotta get on it sonnn.

EDIT: Top 10 refers to the video that is made after the tournament showing the top 10 coolest plays.

john!

Smash Hero
top ten?? damn son, i probably couldn't even have gotten top 10, even if i was playing really well that day...

life lesson: the lower your expectations, the lesser your disappointment

:dedede:

PEEF!

Smash Hero
top ten?? damn son, i probably couldn't even have gotten top 10, even if i was playing really well that day...

life lesson: the lower your expectations, the lesser your disappointment

:dedede:
Read edit =D

My only expectation placement wise was to get out of pools.

john!

Smash Hero
oh, lol

but it looks like you got way better since we last played. you probably could've won that fd match if you had used ice blocks, smeesh is really patient and dash dancey and you should spam to force him to approach (i did it at poe3 w/turnips lol). and i like how you adapted to his play style and ended up 3-stocking him. good stuffs

PEEF!

Smash Hero
oh, lol

but it looks like you got way better since we last played. you probably could've won that fd match if you had used ice blocks, smeesh is really patient and dash dancey and you should spam to force him to approach (i did it at poe3 w/turnips lol). and i like how you adapted to his play style and ended up 3-stocking him. good stuffs
Thanks bro. =D

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Good stuff.

Some notes:

Smeesh likes Raptor Boost a LOT. The vast majority of the times where he did a cross-up aerial on your shield, he would follow it up with a raptor boost, regardless of what percentages you were at. When at low percentages, an easy way to beat this is to just drop the shield after the cross-up aerial and then CC -> grab the raptor boost. He'd also just throw the move out on a lot of random occasions; to beat that, CC is again an option, although it's risky if you have a hard time shield knees/stomps on reaction, in case he chooses to do one of those instead. Another easy way to beat raptor boost is to just wavedash backwards when you think he might do it, since the move will just miss and you can punish it however you like.

I know I've told you this a million times, but light-shielding a little more often would help. The regular shield is actually pretty solid against Smeesh since he goes for a lot of stuff that can be shield-grabbed out of it, but when your shield is too small too reliably protect you against knees and stomps, you should consider busting out the light-shield; there was at least one shield-poke knee in that set that really shouldn't have happened.

Your grabs generally didn't accomplish as much as they should have. Sometimes, this was because you'd continue going for CGs even at percentages where a charged usmash or fsmash would KO. On one occasion, you were doing a handoff to him and messed up because you were trying to not move very far forward with each successive grab. It's fine to do that if you know you can consistently do it, but I think it's generally better to just walk quite a bit forward with each Popo grab since it's much easier not to mess up that way and the damage done is still very good. Kind of a minor note, but if you've grabbed someone at a high percentage and you're waiting for Nana to get back in sync and it's not clear if she'll get there in time, do dthrow with Popo. Since the dthrow animation on Falcon is quite long, it might buy you some extra time that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Other than that, you generally looked pretty solid. You might want to practice spacing uair -> aerial combos since you missed a few of those for no apparent reason, but I didn't see any really glaring flaws with how you approach the Falcon match-up.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Good stuff.

Some notes:

Smeesh likes Raptor Boost a LOT. The vast majority of the times where he did a cross-up aerial on your shield, he would follow it up with a raptor boost, regardless of what percentages you were at. When at low percentages, an easy way to beat this is to just drop the shield after the cross-up aerial and then CC -> grab the raptor boost. He'd also just throw the move out on a lot of random occasions; to beat that, CC is again an option, although it's risky if you have a hard time shield knees/stomps on reaction, in case he chooses to do one of those instead. Another easy way to beat raptor boost is to just wavedash backwards when you think he might do it, since the move will just miss and you can punish it however you like.

I know I've told you this a million times, but light-shielding a little more often would help. The regular shield is actually pretty solid against Smeesh since he goes for a lot of stuff that can be shield-grabbed out of it, but when your shield is too small too reliably protect you against knees and stomps, you should consider busting out the light-shield; there was at least one shield-poke knee in that set that really shouldn't have happened.

Your grabs generally didn't accomplish as much as they should have. Sometimes, this was because you'd continue going for CGs even at percentages where a charged usmash or fsmash would KO. On one occasion, you were doing a handoff to him and messed up because you were trying to not move very far forward with each successive grab. It's fine to do that if you know you can consistently do it, but I think it's generally better to just walk quite a bit forward with each Popo grab since it's much easier not to mess up that way and the damage done is still very good. Kind of a minor note, but if you've grabbed someone at a high percentage and you're waiting for Nana to get back in sync and it's not clear if she'll get there in time, do dthrow with Popo. Since the dthrow animation on Falcon is quite long, it might buy you some extra time that you wouldn't have had otherwise.

Other than that, you generally looked pretty solid. You might want to practice spacing uair -> aerial combos since you missed a few of those for no apparent reason, but I didn't see any really glaring flaws with how you approach the Falcon match-up.
Ahh thanks so much man.

Yeah I have an annoying habit of choking chaingrabs in tournament. I was also using a different controller (johns) but it really does matter.

Thanks for the raptor tips. By the end i figured it out quite a bit, but your tips will help alot.

Light sheild. I know I really need to do this. I should certainly test out every fox/falco to make sure they have no problem l-cancelling it. Jay can so I just say forget it. Im used to only doing the real shield, even though I can probably decimate every spacie that doesnt have precise techskill just by doublesheilding.

I will for sure impliment that. That tournament I was focusing primarily on your advice about maintaining stage control and not being dumb about giving away good position. I feel like I did better at that, but I still need to improve. Thanks so much for the tips...

Livestream 2maro =DD

Ive never done headbutt during bliz because sometimes it slows me down. Mega slow headbutt.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Peef, watch videos of Chu, Wobbles and Fly. They headbutt while blizzarding, and they are good. They win tournaments.

I don't know. You're texnical. Figure it out. :bee:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I won AXS 2 today in Syracuse, beating JesiahTEG in winners semis and grand finals, and my fellow classmate in winners finals (he's a no-name but he upset a couple top-3 favorites on his way to WF). I think there were a lot of videos of me recorded, which I'll post when they go up. For once I was pretty happy with how I was playing in the tournament.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahaha jesiah! why you holdin up his quest to be the best?

jk jk hahah. gjob man. keep on winning!

huMps

Smash Ace
Let's hope they keep making wobbling legal. :/
Just joshin, nintendo's legit. Everyone knew the rules and he won, good job man keep coming to **** everyone up here needs that ice climber practice!

Smasher89

Smash Lord
There´s no way to ban wobbling, since you can basicly alterate the infinites, only sollusion to that is to ban the character (look at fox infinites, stages got banned lol)

Top Bottom