• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Gameplay Q&A and General Discussion Thread

D

Deleted member 189823

I'd like to remind you all how much of a ****ing cancer is fighting people who just sit in Shield. Instant Pin people's Shield, let's go to time out.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I'd like to remind you all how much of a ****ing cancer is fighting people who just sit in Shield. Instant Pin people's Shield, let's go to time out.
That reminds me, what are the best ways to pressure shields as Corrin?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Fullhop Dragon Lunge is pretty safe, so are retreating fairs and ftilts, for the most part. Back air is safe if spaced, too. If my opponent wants to sit in shield and let me take the lead, then I'll try to mix them up with empty hops and safe fairs, and then try for an empty hop > grab. Once you get in their head, it's no longer about being super safe. Yomi begins.

D

Deleted member 189823

Mhm, which is why I actually started winning as soon as I started ****ing Grabbing. Then again, wifi.

D

Deleted member 189823

I call upon @Hero_2_All, to clarify my doubts

You once said FF N-air [greater than] FF F-air. Why? If there's something I noticed, it might be that it has a longer window in which you can hit the latest hitbox because it simply cancels out (no hitbox/a-cancelling). I've been cancelling-out F-air a lot, lately. Or is it because it has less endlag (and how much?).

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
So this is the place to ask Corrin questions

I've been playing him for a couple weeks and I got a couple questions~

1. What are some dos and don'ts when playing Corrin

2. I feel like I've been using too much insta pin. Specifically for punishes. Is there a good substitute or should I keep doing what I'm doing?

3. What is Corrin's worst matchup and why?

D

Deleted member 189823

Oz got you

1. What are some dos and don'ts when playing Corrin
Do:

1. Learn Corrin, not Pin. This means, use the character for what it actually has to offer. We're rarely short on options.
2. Get good at general spacing, but namely, learn to space your aerials well. We've got mixups for most options, like F-air (Rising, retreating and FF), N-air (same as F-air) and B-air (rising and FF).
3. Have a neutral (aka, not waiting to Pin everything) and actually knowing how to space yourself around with aerials.
4. Grab. We force people to shield, so Grab. More importantly, mixup with tomohawks in-between.
5. Learn/aknowledge pivot F-Smash (not Perfect Pivot, just normal turnaround version). This thing does wonders, and it can be insane if you're good at it. as I went on improving at using this, it's been ages since I've killed off of grabs.

Don't:

1. Don't refer to Corrin as "she" and pretend male Corrin doesn't exist.
1. Don't overuse The Pin. There's such a thing, and you're doing it. You're staling a pretty strong, fast and reliable kill move. Basically, don't neglect our actual moveset.
2. Don't get cocky. Our aerials and range is great, but just like that, they're not particularly safe on shield if you're spacing isn't on point.

I feel like I've been using too much insta pin. Specifically for punishes. Is there a good substitute or should I keep doing what I'm doing?
I don't mind throwing 2-3 of these before 100, but I think I just get flexible here. Like, we have a Frame 5 D-Tilt that combos to a lot of things, but I generally just like to F-air people into things. These are about the two things you can get the most milage off of. Sometimes you can just Grab...

3. What is Corrin's worst matchup and why?
Most Corrin players think it's Diddy Kong, but I actually think it's even. I think it's mostly due to people not having an actual neutral/footsie game (aka, they think they can Pin for free, when Diddy Kong punishes it well). I think Sheik's our hardest MU. Played well, they're going to be incredibly defensive, for us to approach and shield with Needles. Once we're close, we're pretty much conditioned to run in and shield- against which, they can F-air our shield for free, or come and grab us. Out of those things alone, it pretty much makes the MU. They can get us off-stage like that, and make it hell for us to get back. I have a friend who's really good at just preventing me from getting up from the ledge. all he does is way and try to cover most options- most of which are covered by just shieldgrabbing literally everything. He doesn't even approach or go off-stage to kill me.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Worst matchup is probably Sheik. She makes us play her game and it honestly feels like you need to rely on getting jank rage kills to even stand a chance...

Shoutouts to Fox and Diddy for also being a pain. Honestly, Corrin is probably solo viable. Nothing seems undoable.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I can attest to the matchup thing. Diddy it's pretty ok (atleast to me) but Shiek is a nightmare.
Basically, anyone who can rush into your "sphere of control", attack you, and avoid a punish, is difficult to deal with.

Also I'm saying this for no reason at all: I love Undertale like mad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I think Corrin only really (like, seriously) struggles with Sheik. I find Fox and Diddy pretty doable, moreso the latter. against Fox, you're going to make a big emphasis on the spacing game (aka, as you always should). You can play neutral against these two so much better than you would with Sheik.

On the F-air thing, I kind of doubt the first two were combo. as a rule thumb (I think), they start comboing at about 25-30. I tried it on a floaty creature, like Kirby, on Training Mode. N-air to F-air combos at 20%, but the F-airs after that, don't...until 30, actually. after that, I'm pretty sure they were, considering the guy (and most FG players) have a tendency to mash airdodge. also, I stole his jump, meaning his only options were to airdodge or Up-B, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMH0Y2G3EbA

:24

I did something similiar, there. Basically, I try to make them make the first move and catch their jump into a series of F-air strings. This works well against Clouds that like to approach recklessly with D-air or even U-air. Of course, if you want to catch them at really low-percents into a frame trap, you're going to want to watch your spacing carefully, as they can attack in-between. This is what I also aim for in the Marth, Lucina and Shulk MU.

Last edited by a moderator:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I don't know whether this is the correct place to ask this, but I really want to mod Smash 3DS to change character textures. I've gotten as far as installing and running a homebrew, but I have no idea what to do next. All guides that I tried looking up are complicated and technical. I'd really love it if someone could tell me where to go for a guide, or even better, explain a bit.
Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 189823

So it turns out, Oz isn't the Grandmaster Know-it-all. as such, I call upon @Hero_2_All (once more) & @Skitrel for further enlightment.

Let's talk combos.

See, here's the thing. Turns out I'm actually not that good at them in an actual match with a heavy neutral (which means, I go into this thing called Spacing Mode). Let's say, Sheik. I was fighting Sheik earlier, and I wasn't getting my F-air strings at about 30. She could attack. What's up with that? Similiarly, can anybody test out if N/F-air to footstool is an actual combo (about 0-10%, respectively)? People just seem to be able to attack out of it, and it just doesn't help I can't seem to react fast enough (as to whether I'm hitting their shield or actually landing the hit) to pull it off. Same goes with N/F-air to Bite.

Note to selfie:

F/N-air actually do seem safe on shield when done out of a FF (+spacing). However, I think I've always overstimated by just how much.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
I'd like to tell everyone that it's been around 7 months since I started playing Corrin. What's special about this is that prior to him/her, the max time I mained a character was 3 months (Meta Knight). Only Corrin has held my interest for so long, partially thanks to you fellas.
From my very first SSB4 main, Shulk (blonde animu boi wid big sward), to my main just before Corrin released, Cloud (blonde animu boi wid big sward), I've mained everyone in SSB4 excluding Lolimar. And now I'm finally settled with my one and only, Corrin (blonde animu boi/gurl wid big sward).
Thanks especially to @Oz, for the long and in depth conversations. And the jokes.
I just felt I had to post this, don't read if you don't want to.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
So I've been doing this since the release of corrin but haven't seen anyone else do it. Ledge pin > back kick
It looks pretty silly but it kills really early and is the last thing people expect when offstage. Works really well on horizontal recoveries like Mac Side b and foxes Side B.

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
So I've been doing this since the release of corrin but haven't seen anyone else do it. Ledge pin > back kick
It looks pretty silly but it kills really early and is the last thing people expect when offstage. Works really well on horizontal recoveries like Mac Side b and foxes Side B.
I've been doing it to, but if you're using it to stuff Lil Mac's and Fox's Side Bs, then Fsmash is more than enough to fence them off. The charging hitbox stops the move, and if they're aiming for the ledge,a tipped angled Fsmash works wonders.

jset818

Smash Cadet
Hi guys, what's the easiest and most consistent way to do dash instant pivot f-smash? I'm currently using the B+A smash attack control scheme and I can still maybe do it 40% of the time. Often times, my thumb doesn't press the B+A simultaneously and I get dash attack or dragon lunge.

Here's a video of Ryo doing it for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about.
https://youtu.be/YmgIHufLmpA?t=4m14s

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

I'd like to tell everyone that it's been around 7 months since I started playing Corrin. What's special about this is that prior to him/her, the max time I mained a character was 3 months (Meta Knight). Only Corrin has held my interest for so long, partially thanks to you fellas.
From my very first SSB4 main, Shulk (blonde animu boi wid big sward), to my main just before Corrin released, Cloud (blonde animu boi wid big sward), I've mained everyone in SSB4 excluding Lolimar. And now I'm finally settled with my one and only, Corrin (blonde animu boi/gurl wid big sward).
Thanks especially to @Oz, for the long and in depth conversations. And the jokes.
I just felt I had to post this, don't read if you don't want to.
I appreciate it, thanks. Just keep going, and stay around.

Yeah, liek, once, in a FG match. I forgot of the benefits of killing a lot earlier with it, so that's definitely something to look into. I saw you do it in one of your matches.

Hi guys, what's the easiest and most consistent way to do dash instant pivot f-smash? I'm currently using the B+A smash attack control scheme and I can still maybe do it 40% of the time. Often times, my thumb doesn't press the B+A simultaneously and I get dash attack or dragon lunge.

Here's a video of Ryo doing it for those of you that don't know what I'm talking about.
https://youtu.be/YmgIHufLmpA?t=4m14s
Just use the C-stick, lol. That, or there's no other way but to just get accomodated to your settings... it's really good to pass off.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I was watching Ryuga and Rayquaza vs pink fresh and some other bayo, and I noticed something very odd.
Ryuga grabbed a bayo and forward threw her towards another incoming aerial bayo. The aerial bayo actually got hit by the pin of the forward throw (at least that's what it looks like) and it sounded like Corrin landed a tipper.
Apparently Corrin's forward and back throws have tipper hitboxes

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Yeah that's been known for a while actually

It's just that singles is the meta usually talked about so I guess not everyone is familiar with that bit of info

Last edited:

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Yeah that's been known for a while actually

It's just that singles is the meta usually talked about so I guess not everyone is familiar with that bit of info
I have never heard of this, thought of this, seen this.

Would you happen to have knowledge of any other not as well known tech?

D

Deleted member 189823

This. Like, the hell. Literally never heard of this until now. So much for "being known", lol.

In other news, F-Smash might be better for 2-framing people than The Pin. The hitbox lingers for 5 frames, and you're also able to charge it.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
This. Like, the hell. Literally never heard of this until now. So much for "being known", lol.

In other news, F-Smash might be better for 2-framing people than The Pin. The hitbox lingers for 5 frames, and you're also able to charge it.
Though the start up is longer.
In all the time I've played Corrin, I've only landed the pin two or three times
(I've gotten it over 15 times on Cloud, but..... nevermind, you know why)
And you've seen how often I go for the two frame

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577

I've been fsmashing the whole time, since my aim with Pin is nothing to write home about.

Nah

Smash Champion

Would you happen to have knowledge of any other not as well known tech?
I know it's been talked about before on this board somewhere. Probably lost to the depths of this thread or something lol

Unfortunately I am not really aware of any other lesser-known tech, sorry

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
I know it's been talked about before on this board somewhere. Probably lost to the depths of this thread or something lol

Unfortunately I am not really aware of any other lesser-known tech, sorry
For a 32 page thread, I can understand how it would get lost.
It's no big deal, thanks for the tip anyway

D

Deleted member 189823

Though the start up is longer.
That doesn't mean anything, because you're not doing it on reaction. You have time to wait at the ledge, charge it and let the hitbox out for 5 frames. I've seen Lucas (a midweight) die under 40 without any rage off of this.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
That doesn't mean anything, because you're not doing it on reaction. You have time to wait at the ledge, charge it and let the hitbox out for 5 frames. I've seen Lucas (a midweight) die under 40 without any rage off of this.
:surprised:

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Ooh, we're trading stories!
I fsmashed a Cloud when he tried to recover, and he was at 50. He didn't die, but the hit broke his limits. He used Limit Climhazzard, and I timed it perfectly and 2-framed him.
Bliss...

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Ooh, we're trading stories!
I fsmashed a Cloud when he tried to recover, and he was at 50. He didn't die, but the hit broke his limits. He used Limit Climhazzard, and I timed it perfectly and 2-framed him.
Bliss...
Nothing is more satisfying than two framing Cloud's limit up b. It's like a message to the Cloud, saying, "Even with limit, Your recovery is **** to me" (Spits at Cloud)

OceloT42

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1993-9639-0577
Nothing is more satisfying than two framing Cloud's limit up b. It's like a message to the Cloud, saying, "Even with limit, Your recovery is **** to me" (Spits at Cloud)
Oh, that reminds me, Corrin's Fsmash can tear through Climhazzard and hit Cloud, for the players who like to use the downward slice from on high to grab the ledge

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
Oh, that reminds me, Corrin's Fsmash can tear through Climhazzard and hit Cloud, for the players who like to use the downward slice from on high to grab the ledge
I wondered about that. My friend who mains Cloud always uses this option to recover, unless he has limit. I haven't tried to punish it with that yet, but He does it every damn time.
Funny story about this friend. He doesn't even secondary little mac, but his little mac managed to body every single one of my secondaries. Until I finally went Corrin and bodied him at 30% 3 stocks. Though I did body him with Sheik a couple of times.
His playstyle was nothing more than C stick warrior for glory little mac, minus the side b to death. He actually beat some other players in friendlies going mac (and he lost 2-0 in tournament)

D

Deleted member 189823

I literally B-air gimped a Cloud 5 times in a row in tournament.

Limit-included.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Have you all been keeping up with Cosmos's play at Big House?

His play was fantastic. Getting 17th (at his first major) and taking out Zinoto is nothing to sneeze.

Diddy might be a bad matchup, but it's absolutely winnable. The fact the we have a kill throw is such an underrated boon.

Nah

Smash Champion
Would you happen to have links to a couple of Cosmos's TBH6 sets? Are there even vids yet lol?

I'm abhorrently lazy about finding and watching tournament sets

also jeez it still doesn't seem like TBH5 was that long ago

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 189823

Have you all been keeping up with Cosmos's play at Big House?

His play was fantastic. Getting 17th (at his first major) and taking out Zinoto is nothing to sneeze.

Diddy might be a bad matchup, but it's absolutely winnable. The fact the we have a kill throw is such an underrated boon.
Matchup's pretty overrated difficulty-wise, to be honest. I find it even, and I got a few things I can list as to why it is. Needless to say, I did quite enjoy Cosmos' play. If anyone's doing the thing with Corrin, glad it's him. Tomohawks were definitely a thing, and he ought to keep reminding us of that.

Would you happen to have links to a couple of Cosmos's TBH6 sets? Are there even vids yet lol?

I'm abhorrently lazy about finding and watching tournament sets

also jeez it still doesn't seem like TBH5 was that long ago
'aye

D

Deleted member 189823

also, a friendly tri-monthly reminder of how annoying dealing with shields can be. inb4 "just grab": No. It's not that simple at all, especially not with an actual opponent that won't exactly wait in their shield for you to come up and grab them. It gets even worse when they're not exactly approaching, and forcing Corrin to rely on his rather linear terms, or just to mindgame and bait (which is actually far from ideal).

I have a friend who's a great player by simply excelling in these silly things. He mains Sheik and is starting to build up a really solid Fox. He's actuallly really silly at ledgeguarding.

For the record, I'm not exactly complaining, either. If anything, it's more of a heads up. This stuff is there, and this is arguably the main reason these are arguably are hardest MU's.

McGyverAC

Dragon's Sin of Wrath
NNID
McGyverAC
also, a friendly tri-monthly reminder of how annoying dealing with shields can be. inb4 "just grab": No. It's not that simple at all, especially not with an actual opponent that won't exactly wait in their shield for you to come up and grab them. It gets even worse when they're not exactly approaching, and forcing Corrin to rely on his rather linear terms, or just to mindgame and bait (which is actually far from ideal).

I have a friend who's a great player by simply excelling in these silly things. He mains Sheik and is starting to build up a really solid Fox.

For the record, I'm not exactly complaining, either. If anything, it's more of a heads up. This stuff is there, and this is arguably the main reason these are arguably are hardest MU's.
This is why I duel main Sheik

Top Bottom