• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fro and Wobbles aka "Frobbles" is a great (maybe one of the best?) commentary pairs!

D

Deleted member

wobbles + anybody very likely to be a good commentating pair

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
KirbyKaze is extremely good at commentating

PP is really interesting to listen to also because he's so analytical

Mang0 is entertaining as hell always, I love listening to him

Biglard

Smash Journeyman
I approve, Wobbles is a good commentator, he always has something interesting to say about the action during matches, and about Melee in general outside of the matches.

Tero.

Smash Champion
KirbyKaze is extremely good at commentating

PP is really interesting to listen to also because he's so analytical

Mang0 is entertaining as hell always, I love listening to him
Those + Wobbles are the best commentators at the moment.
Really enjoyed commentary at FC.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
You serious? Mango's commentary sucks. He ends up not commentating the match but rather rambling about himself and *****ing about life.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You serious? Mango's commentary sucks. He ends up not commentating the match but rather rambling about himself and *****ing about life.
You shut your mouf.
Mango is one of the most entertaining commentators and can be relatively informative, although brief and occasionally difficult to comprehend.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Why do so many people like kirbykaze's commentary? I've never been so confused in my life

I had actually ceased to believe in conventional morality until I heard him commentating at Impulse. He personally proved to me the existence of evil in this world. So bad. So, so, so bad.

Wobbles is excellent and Fro does a really good job as well. Informative, entertaining (I liked a lot of their dogyesque witticisms, especially "Knee to the groin! That is not your purse!") I'd tentatively say that they're my favorite duo ever. The kishes' idea of commentator tryouts was a good one.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Fro and wobbles were great, had hype some in and out game knowledge. Consistent noise.

IMO Adam and Lovage are the best commentator duo. Without a doubt.
Adam and Lovage both see the game in great detail, both get excited, and understand player mentality very well.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
nice contrast in detail and consistent commentary overall for fc. good stuff to frobbles :)

Mango is one of the most entertaining commentators and can be relatively informative, although brief and occasionally difficult to comprehend.
its fun to listen to but it's reeeally not that informative...the extent of it is talking about options he would have done instead lol

unknown522

Some guy
So, people agreed with me on the stream chat that wobbles looks like an unshaven Dart!

Oh yeah, wobbles was really good on the mic. The only other time I've ever heard him commentate, he was drunk and I didn't like it. But when he's sober it's really well done. He talks fast and can keep up with the pace of the match and has good insight and can spew knowledge/theory in a fast and concise manner.

:phone:

'Fro

Smash Lord
Wow.... I had heard there was a thread for this, but I thought whoever told me was kidding! Thanks for all the feedback, guys, and for those who enjoyed our work, I'm glad we managed to keep you happy!

Honestly, I felt Wobbles carried me really well with his great knowledge and wit, so shoutouts to him for being as awesome as he is.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Fro, you did a really good job at discussing the match and you were knowledgeable. You should do more commentating. :) You held your own, and when some lesser commentators stood up to the mic, you were definitely carrying them.

Walt

Smash Ace
(I liked a lot of their dogyesque witticisms, especially "Knee to the groin! That is not your purse!")
"Knee to the groin that's not your purse" is reference to a King of the Hill episode.

I did not see Wobbles+Fro commentate but apparently I was the only person that thought Fro sucks at commentating. All his commentary on the first day seem to be nothing but obvious on screen boring statements like "he got up smashed." Fro in no way talked of deeper points in the game such as covering options, reads, move selection. He just said what was happening and everyone playing this game has been playing long enough to understand that someone got hit by an attack or is dash dancing. If Commentators want to be informative they should actually break down why a choice was made, pointing out habits, if players are picking up on habits, and things talking about the actually meta portion of the metagame.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Fro was overall a good commentator, but he (as does 95% of the community, so no offense) lacks game knowledge top players like wobbles possess, he made a few comments that made me lol, as well as halfway argue with wobbles/MDZ a few times over stuff he was obviously mislead about... but really that is minor, Fro did a great job of keeping up with with what was happening and kept people entertained, which is most important.

Violence

Smash Lord
I did not see Wobbles+Fro commentate but apparently I was the only person that thought Fro sucks at commentating. All his commentary on the first day seem to be nothing but obvious on screen boring statements like "he got up smashed." Fro in no way talked of deeper points in the game such as covering options, reads, move selection. He just said what was happening and everyone playing this game has been playing long enough to understand that someone got hit by an attack or is dash dancing. If Commentators want to be informative they should actually break down why a choice was made, pointing out habits, if players are picking up on habits, and things talking about the actually meta portion of the metagame.
I wholeheartedly agree. No offense to you as a person, Fro, because I believe that commentating is very difficult and 99% of people are unsuited for it.

There are many times I cringed when you stated something confidently that was just demonstrably false, and Wobbles, not wanting to cut you off, either changed the topic of discussion, or politely corrected you. When he wasn't around, these things really stood out.

Your commentary is mostly descriptive, and while that isn't always a bad thing, it got very repetitive. "Ooh, he should've had that edgeguard! I dunno why he didn't take that free hit..." Sentences like these were said pretty much ad nauseam. Whenever a player messed up, you would essentially simply comment that they messed up. It wasn't until Wobbles added player mentality into the picture that this kind of commentary started to become something I could listen to.

Fro: "He drops ANOTHER edgeguard!"
Wobbles: "A lot of times when you're facing a great player, you get nervous and freeze up. You hesitate for that one moment in your edgeguard and suddenly your window of timing for that edgeguard disappears, so you don't do anything. To anyone watching it doesn't look like you did anything, but you really only hesitated for a small moment."
Fro: *general agreement*

A lot of times I hear you comment on the bad DI of a player. Whenever someone gets hit by something they don't expect, they will naturally DI in the direction their control stick is being held in because they were performing an input, like an aerial. But every time this happens, you're just quick to blurt out "No DI!" as if they're CPU's or something and expected to react so fast to a hit they didn't expect.

All in all, I didn't really see you add very much at all to the commentary. You weren't really entertaining, you didn't add hype, you had no information to contribute that Wobbles didn't already know, you just seemed to talk a lot on the stream.

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
^ actually I think that's why Frobbles is good--I think you need one person who's just doing the play by play (Fro) and one person who's giving really good insight on what's happening (Wobbles). Insightful commentary is great and it's needed, but without a person doing an animated and excited play by play (which is what Fro did) you lose the excitement that comes with good commentary. And with one experienced and one less experienced commentator, you get a back and forth where the less experienced commentator will ask interesting questions that the experienced commentator can answer. IMO the pairing of Fro and Wobbles is perfect.

'Fro

Smash Lord
More feedback
I'll make sure to take that into account. I tried to do my best once I was on, and I knew there were times on there where I was wrong (which I would realize after the fact). Really, I honestly didn't expect to be called back after the tryouts, but both the VG Bootcamp crew and the Kishes seemed really pleased with my work.

As for not contributing something Wobbles didn't already know.... I'm gonna have to ask: How could I have? Wobbles's knowledge is so deep that there was no way I could say anything that he couldn't provide. Like I said before, I thought he carried me as far as knowledge and accuracy, and his reads on player habits/choices and explaining them were obviously superior to mine, which is what pretty much left me with staying descriptive for the most part and leaving detailed discussion for in-between the matches, which I felt was more suited there because games go so fast and there's so much going on. I tried to fill the role I thought I was best suited for at the time, because Wobbles was doing such a great job with the analysis and details.

I apologize to those who didn't enjoy what I was doing, and if I get another chance, I hope to do better.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Fro don't take the negative criticism the wrong way. From what I see, those that didn't absolutely love you (many did), mainly only have minor issues with stuff you couldn't handle. Top players generally have knowledge that the rest of us don't possess, so they have an instant advantage over others commentating, which is not your fault. You did the best you could and did very well, period. I wouldn't worry about it bro

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Why do so many people like kirbykaze's commentary? I've never been so confused in my life
His dry, extremely sarcastic and melancholic style can be either entertaining or infuriating.

I'm from the land of darkness, cold and depression so I find his humour quite funny

Moving on with the discussion, since there are so many styles of commentating, which one or which combination of styles is considered the best?

I like when commentary points out really deep stuff I often miss, like explaining playstyles and spacing tricks + inside information, everyone is able to say "he got usmashed and died" imo. Other side of commentary is that it's entertaining and funny, that is even harder to do. But when these two are combined, god damn

'Fro

Smash Lord
Fro don't take the negative criticism the wrong way. From what I see, those that didn't absolutely love you (many did), mainly only have minor issues with stuff you couldn't handle. Top players generally have knowledge that the rest of us don't possess, so they have an instant advantage over others commentating, which is not your fault. You did the best you could and did very well, period. I wouldn't worry about it bro
Thanks man! Again, I'd love to do better if I get more chances. Either way, both the positive and negative feedback do mean a lot to me! I'm just glad people were actually detailed in telling me what they thought, and it makes the experience worth it!

:phone:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's always good to see commentators understand high level players' intentions. I recall in a match where darkrain ledgehopped and airdodged offstage on the right side of DL64. Instantly I knew he attempted a RLD (reverse ledge dash) to either DJ aerial his opponent (forget who that was at the time, maybe mango?) or DJ and waveland onto the lower platform (sexy with falcon and underused).

Anyway, wobbles knew what he was trying to do and Fro was like "wtf was he doing" or something. Haha, no offense to Fro, he probly knows this game better than I do. That is one little example... but when a commentator can clue the crowd in on what the player was trying to do, how he messed up and WHY, that is borderline priceless for people striving to learn.

edit: no problem Fro.

Top Bottom