• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fro and Wobbles aka "Frobbles" is a great (maybe one of the best?) commentary pairs!

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Fro did great. These days we listen to so much professional commentary from pro sports or from the FGC that it becomes really hard for the grassroots Smash community to live up to that standard. I listened to a sample of the Frobbles commentary duo and they more than exceeded my expectations.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You can hate on mango's commentary, but he occasionally says some really insightful things about melee and how he approaches the game. Melee will never be as big as it was with MLG. To me commentating should be about game knowledge and raw entertainment. Lets hear some intelligent comments about the match and have a few laughs in the process <== perfection. This game is old, keeping it interesting should be a must. And no matter how much some people dislike mango or his writing/posting/commenting style, he does occasionally drop bombs of knowledge... like nagasaki ****.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Good job to wobbles and 'fro. Excellent commentary. We came in day 1 having no idea who any of the good commentators were. It all worked out pretty well.

:phone:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Mango has the most ridiculous commentary. All he does is talk about himself, everything he says goes back to "this one time, I was playing...", telling anecdotes out of nowhere. Everyone is fine with this because he's Mango and we love the guy, but for the love of god, do not put him on the commentary on important matches where good commentary is actually desirable.
He has some useful info, but he should not start spewing random wisdoms while the focus should be on the matches.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
IMO Adam and Lovage are the best commentator duo. Without a doubt.
Adam and Lovage both see the game in great detail, both get excited, and understand player mentality very well.
I would agree to this. Lovage in particular manages to grasp all the nuances of what's happening, while still sounding extremely excited and hype, phil/waffles style.

Mango's commentary is insightful, when he wants it to be. Watch his match against shroomed that he commentates as he's playing, or some of his stuff against SFAT in their stream archive. He's one of the smartest players around, but would rather be a funny commentator than an informative one... and I'm perfectly fine with that. Him and PP were a great team.

edit: KK's commentary is amazing gtfo

Varist

Smash Lord
I would agree to this. Lovage in particular manages to grasp all the nuances of what's happening, while still sounding extremely excited and hype, phil/waffles style.

Mango's commentary is insightful, when he wants it to be. Watch his match against shroomed that he commentates as he's playing, or some of his stuff against SFAT in their stream archive. He's one of the smartest players around, but would rather be a funny commentator than an informative one... and I'm perfectly fine with that. Him and PP were a great team.

edit: KK's commentary is amazing gtfo
link to pp and mango commentary please please. please

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
as long as its not prog on the mic anymore: the commentary on the larger tournaments tournies where he's on livestream is the worst. no matter who he pairs with its just awful. progs commentary used to rock too :/

Theftz22

Smash Lord
He's one of the smartest players around, but would rather be a funny commentator than an informative one... and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Except that he's not funny; he just *****es about every aspect of life conceivable, talks about how he could be the best player and easily beat armada, and talks about how he plans to bum off people for the rest of his life. In short, mango's just an arrogant bum who is unfortunately really good at smash. Yes mango pisses me off.

I think we can all agree ka-master and vat zero is the best commentary pair ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOAWgAebjOk

Construct

Smash Journeyman
link to pp and mango commentary please please. please
Zenith 2012 Hbox vs M2K, I think. It's not on youtube yet, but it's in the twitch archive over in the Impulse video thread.

Except that he's not funny; he just *****es about every aspect of life conceivable, talks about how he could be the best player and easily beat armada, and talks about how he plans to bum off people for the rest of his life. In short, mango's just an arrogant bum who is unfortunately really good at smash. Yes mango pisses me off.
Yes, because finding someone funny is completely objective and the dozens of people that have commented on how funny he is are entirely wrong. Thank you for your insight, Smash Debater.

edit: It just occured to me that you're talking about the "Mango Talks" series of videos which never claim to be commentary, they claim to be nothing more than Mango talking. Brilliant.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Yes, because finding someone funny is completely objective and the dozens of people that have commented on how funny he is are entirely wrong. Thank you for your insight, Smash Debater.
Who said I was making objective truth claims? If all of discussion was restricted to only objective topics, far too many areas of human conversation would be restricted. Rather I was just offering reasons for why I believe his commentary not to be entertaining, you are entitled to believe that those things that I listed are funny.

edit: It just occured to me that you're talking about the "Mango Talks" series of videos which never claim to be commentary, they claim to be nothing more than Mango talking. Brilliant.
The video shows mango on a commentary set up for an extended period of time talking over video of people playing the game. I think that satisfies any reasonable set of necessary and sufficient conditions for "commentary". Besides, mango himself references what he's doing as commentary. See 1:40 "I don't know what to commentate..." Or see what the uploader refers to them as:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323044

"Bonus Mango Commentary"

And I'm not sure why you seem to think that the videos being claimed as Mango talking somehow counts against the view of them being vids of mango commentating. Since "Mango commentating" clearly entails "Mango talking" (as talking is a necessary condition of commentating), that mango is talking cannot possibly count as evidence against him commentating. Rather, what would be bad for my view is if the vids were not claimed as mango talking, since evidence against an entailment of a proposition counts as evidence against the proposition itself.

I can do "Smash Debater" if you want, but I probably won't respond to future posts if they drip condescension.

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Who said I was making objective truth claims? If all of discussion was restricted to only objective topics, far too many areas of human conversation would be restricted. Rather I was just offering reasons for why I believe his commentary not to be entertaining, you are entitled to believe that those things that I listed are funny.
You don't typically give voice to an opinion by presenting it as a statement of fact along the lines of "Except that he's not funny; he just *****es...(etc)". If you made clear that you were merely offering reasons as to why you personally didn't enjoy his commentary, that would be another thing entirely. Instead, you are just arbitrarily asserting an objective truth.

The video shows mango on a commentary set up for an extended period of time talking over video of people playing the game. I think that satisfies any reasonable set of necessary and sufficient conditions for "commentary". Besides, mango himself references what he's doing as commentary. See 1:40 "I don't know what to commentate..." Or see what the uploader refers to them as:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=323044

"Bonus Mango Commentary"

And I'm not sure why you seem to think that the videos being claimed as Mango talking somehow counts against the view of them being vids of mango commentating. Since "Mango commentating" clearly entails "Mango talking" (as talking is a necessary condition of commentating), that mango is talking cannot possibly count as evidence against him commentating. Rather, what would be bad for my view is if the vids were not claimed as mango talking, since evidence against an entailment of a proposition counts as evidence against the proposition itself.
The point of this wasn't to argue semantics; I was saying that you picked an inappropriate example. Mango is making no attempt to give a play by play, an analysis, a whatever of the match at hand in a way that would constitute commentary. Rather, he was just talking about other stuff. His speech was tangentially related to the gameplay at best, the only reason he was at the commentary station was so that he could interact with the stream viewers (which he does for the full hour and a half or however long it is). Your example of
him saying "I don't know what to commentate..." just leads into the fact that he has no interest in doing commentary, and as a result doesn't.

I can do "Smash Debater" if you want, but I probably won't respond to future posts if they drip condescension.
I apolgize for the excessive condescension... I was salty about something irl, shouldn't have put it on you. Nevertheless, I feel you phrased your post inappropriately, as stated in the wall of text above.

'Fro

Smash Lord
These guys are pretty damn good. Did they just meet each other for the first time at this tourney?

Either of them with D1 would be pretty cool too. Atleast in my head.
Just happened to see this question, and yes, wobbles and I had just met the moment we started commentary.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Okay, I finally made it home to the comfort of my computer.

1) First, though casting with JCaesar and Vro was definitely enjoyable, I do want to give my own major shoutout to 'Fro. I spent the majority of time casting with him and even though he's got some stuff to learn about the game, what he actually does have are the real qualities a commentator needs; the ability to keep vocalizing with the flow of the game in a confident fashion, communicating both facts and hype. It's much harder to learn that than to learn facts about a particular game, meaning if you watch 'Fro commentate another video game he will probably display those same positive qualities.

2) More about 'Fro. For anybody who doesn't know, apparently during FC he was fasting for Ramadan which means no food OR WATER during the day. You know, that thing you kind of need when you are talking for 10 hours a day into a microphone while trying to prevent any and all dead from neutralizing hype and excitement on the part of the stream viewers. I was wandering off to use the restroom and sustain myself but apparently 'Fro functions purely off being a major baller. So a SECOND shoutout to him. I'm glad people are keeping the criticism pretty constructive, since he deserves an overwhelming vote of positivity.

3) Glad people liked me! It was the first time I've commentated outside of an Arizona tournament where I got drunk and put on a terrible fake Russian accent and called Falco an ******* multiple times. It was challenging and surprisingly challenging to my mental and vocal endurance. But all the same, I had a blast. So if you see me at any major tournaments in the future, don't be surprised if I just forgo entering so I can sit on the mic, assuming the TOs let me :D Sadly I'm not as hilarious as certain other commentators but I try to inject some humor where I can; I've been watching a lot of other e-sport commentary, particularly RTS stuff, so that's where most of my behavior is modeled from. I don't think I can be another Waffles or Dogysamich.

4) Regarding other commentators; IMO Mango doesn't make a particularly great commentator because he conveys the attitude that everybody else is terrible (which I guess most people are compared to him), and he doesn't really look at the game from the perspective of somebody that is interested but unenlightened. So he has his own flavor and it's enjoyable for a brief time, but if you look at the professional commentators of other e-sport type games, they do a LOT of splitting between basics and higher level insight, which Mango won't do. He makes a much better guest than hard commentator; he simply lacks the personality to sit at a mic all tourney long and explain things he considers beneath his skill level.

As for KK, he knows a lot about the game but he truthfully needs to work on his attitude. From what I've heard of him, he keeps his voice too quiet and dry to convey hype, and he's also really negative when he disagrees. There's a rule of comedy improv which is "never say no," because when your improv teammate throws you a bone, it's because he has an idea that he wants to run with and he's working out in his head. KK is too willing to shut his fellow commentators down and make them look bad; it's not like you can't disagree, but even saying something like "I'm afraid I'd have to disagree on that one, because X--" makes it sound like something you can actually discuss. It keeps the other guy on the mic from looking stupid, even if he does happen to be misinformed.

So yeah, that's my thoughts on the subject. I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would, and if anybody wants me to hog their microphone at a tournament, let me know.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Well, yea I don't see mango being a legit commentator, but he's an amazing guest commentator, as you said. As is s0ft. Shoutouts to that guy.

Anyway, really looking forward to future wobbles commentary ^^
but please don't stop entering tournaments, I do really enjoy watching you play and learn a lot from watching you D:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
shoutouts to wobbles for picking up on my awful tech habits way faster than I did

Varist

Smash Lord
Zenith 2012 Hbox vs M2K, I think. It's not on youtube yet, but it's in the twitch archive over in the Impulse video thread.

Thanks for actually following up. You're a good man Construct.

hectohertz

Smash Ace
wobbles had some amazing commentary, really fast, really funny, and he knows a ****load about this game. eight thumbs up

unknown522

Some guy
Yeah seriously. Good work with the fasting and all.

And yeah, don't stop entering tourneys plz wobbles! Though I'd like to see you on the mic. It really is tough to do both though. I understand, but do your best

S0FT

Smash Ace
Thanks .vanir, but the reality of things is that it is way easier to say funny stuff then to give serious insightful commentary. While I had a lot of fun at that one smaller tournament I probably won't be commentating at big smash events, or at least I wont be with my previous style of commentary. When you are trying to commentate on the huge streams it is professional commentators like wobbles that benefit the interested players and newer players trying to learn. I believe that crass and over the top commentary doesn't belong on major events streams, which is why I was so surprised that such a big European tournament had such an unprofessional commentator like Mike Hagger.

That being said Wobbles is one of my new favorite commentators.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Agreed with s0ft, professionalism in commentating is more appropriate for bracket/tournament matches. MM's, crews, and friendlies, I wouldn't mind having some laughs though lol

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I agree for larger tournaments.
At small tourneys, I love seeing people like mango or s0ft commentate, but for the largescale tournaments I prefer proffessional commentary more.
However, special guest mango is always a cool thing ^^

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
which is why I was so surprised that such a big European tournament had such an unprofessional commentator like Mike Hagger.
The stream barely had 700 viewers at prime time, IIRC. That's not a lot of views, and reeeally doubt there was anyone watching that didn't already know about Melee.
Mike Haggar may have been unprofessional, but as far as I know, stream quality has never been the top priority of EU tournaments. If that ever changes, then ripping on Mike could be legit.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
You don't typically give voice to an opinion by presenting it as a statement of fact along the lines of "Except that he's not funny; he just *****es...(etc)". If you made clear that you were merely offering reasons as to why you personally didn't enjoy his commentary, that would be another thing entirely. Instead, you are just arbitrarily asserting an objective truth.
I think it would rather out of the norm and odd to qualify every subjective statement with a note that you are making objective truth claims. Consider what it would be like if people took your advice in everyday conversation. We say things like, "this restaurant is the best", "that girl is the hottest", "it smells terrible in here", "that movie was overrated", "Seinfeld is a great comedian". It would be detrimental to the flow of conversation to qualify every subjective statement as such. I think its just uncharitable to interpret a statement saying that something is not funny as an objective truth claim.

The point of this wasn't to argue semantics; I was saying that you picked an inappropriate example. Mango is making no attempt to give a play by play, an analysis, a whatever of the match at hand in a way that would constitute commentary. Rather, he was just talking about other stuff. His speech was tangentially related to the gameplay at best, the only reason he was at the commentary station was so that he could interact with the stream viewers (which he does for the full hour and a half or however long it is). Your example of him saying "I don't know what to commentate..." just leads into the fact that he has no interest in doing commentary, and as a result doesn't.
Isn't that the point? Commentary that only "tangentially relates" to gameplay can be good, but not for two straight hours. IMO (guess I have to use that qualification now), if you aren't going to talk about the match, don't hop on the commentary set up for two hours, and those who think you talking about how your life got "brawled" is funny can listen to that at some other juncture.

'Fro

Smash Lord
700 viewers not a lot for just melee?

Not too bad for a game on its death bed imo
We had 5000 for FC.... Melee is not going anywhere.

Also, thank you wobbles for the heartfelt shout out, and for the awesome times on the mic! I do agree with a lot of people saying you could have done well with just about anybody. Also, I still hope you do keep on playing in tourney.

Top Bottom