• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox - Guide and Discussion Thread

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The only time I would consider shine jab practical is when you're shining out of shield, in which case you might as well try to jab lol

Cool for showing off though
Shine jab out of shield is sooo hard

At least for me, when I'm shining out of shield it's because I'm under intense shield pressure so I just mash jump shine to get out of it. This of course messes up my shine jab timing.

There are situations against floaties though where shine jab is good. If they are right around upsmash killing percentage then a shine jab will rack up a little extra damage. Sometimes you can combo fair into shine jab for this purpose.

Repeated shine jabs are a pretty good combo against Samus at ~60-70% ... and it's not like you have too many other options to combo a Samus.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah shine jab is hard out of shield. I think for me it's because the window for the jab is a lot smaller because you can't run "inside" them and hit them with the near-center of the shine like usual, if you know what I mean. You hit them with the edge of the shine when it's out of shield.

dandan

Smash Lord
wouldn't it be more beneficial to shine and then tech chase? i think the success rate would be way higher.

i start dabbling with jab cancels for shield pressure, and it can work wonders, like dash pivot to the other side and jab, then jab cancels, and you can do repeat.
most people are not used to the faster jab cancel, so they will try to jump out of shield or something like that, and it connects (though a char like dk can still upb out of shield).

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I think it's faster than waiting the amount of time required to avoid doing fox's kicks. If that makes sense. dandan would be more suited to answer your question since he's the one recommending it lol.

dandan

Smash Lord
you can jab more quickly that way. most noticeable with samus, but can be used pretty well with fox as well.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Yeah. For example with Samus you can do first jabs a lot quicker in a row. First jab>crouch>first jab is faster than first jab>wait>first jab.

Mahie

Smash Lord
The best way to do that is to hold down and backwards, at a 45° angle, then press A. There's no need to crouch after each jab that way.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
uh, is there some kind of timing to foxes SHFFDL?

i never can seem to get it, i mean, i only shoot one laser.

#HBC | ѕoup

short hop fast fall double laser?

oh, wait, my mistake, short hop double laser.

was thinking about mario for a minute..

but yeah, sometimes i spam the b button and it seems the 2nd laser comes out faster at times, so i'm wondering if there is a timing peripheral to it.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Some Fox men in the past told me that you shouldnt spam the B button

Just experiment and find that speed

dandan

Smash Lord
i feel to that it is easier to do if you feel the timing then spam the b button, same as with mario sh dair uair.
will be hard to give advice though as i am on keyboard so i do not know if that would help you.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
jump up rly high and just spam the **** outta the b button and get used to the noise of how fast the laser can go at its fastest speed. Pew Pew. Get that timing down in your head and say it to yourself over and over again. Get used to doing it w/o mashing but just two button presses in the air. Learn with a full hop first.

Then just implement it w/ a short hop

ballin4life

Smash Hero
jump up rly high and just spam the **** outta the b button and get used to the noise of how fast the laser can go at its fastest speed. Pew Pew. Get that timing down in your head and say it to yourself over and over again. Get used to doing it w/o mashing but just two button presses in the air. Learn with a full hop first.

Then just implement it w/ a short hop
Basically this. Same thing for shine jabs.

Hear the sound in your head and press the buttons with that rhythm.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
I've both seen and personally obtained better results from a single well-timed laser than spamming double laser.

#HBC | ѕoup

single lasers are alright but double lasers help alot more with pressure and keeping a safe distance, one laser can be simply be jumped over (don't sheild alot or roll in this game) while two makes it harder to avoid and because fox has a special projectile, it's frames/hitbox are constant until it hits something or goes offscreen.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Because you spend less time airborne on an SHL , therefore leaving less time to the opponent to try to get you while you're firing.

cheeseball341

Smash Journeyman
Because you spend less time airborne on an SHL , therefore leaving less time to the opponent to try to get you while you're firing.
Isn't is because you can wait a little longer before you commit to your movement? Whereas with shdl, you're committed from the start.

Also, mucking around with running shdl today, I was able to get the second laser to come out at two different heights, which implies there is more than one frame of leeway? Has this ever been checked, or was it just considered a "truth"?

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Not sure if you can really compare the two.

Obviously you can approach with short hop lasers while you can't with double lasers.

Just know how to use each in the correct situation.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You can move more with short hop lasers, and they're safer.

Short hop double lasers can catch people jumping, and possibly rack up damage faster.

rpotts

Smash Lord
Did you know you could combo shine -> shine on DK on any surface? I accidentally discovered this practice shinejab and shine dtilt. I got it to combo with shine cancel -> normal shine, and later double shine cancel on flat ground/platforms on dreamland. No dashing required, though that was my next step lol. Pretty easy with first hit uair-> jump shine -> mash b lol.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
I spam mario's shdair-uair and it works, but I couldn't get shdl for a long time. Finally started timing it recently, so much easier.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Look at 3:40 in your video. He uses the first hit of uair, then shine cancel -> shine, just as you said.

Anyway I didn't know that. I should try to do it ingame ^^.

HellxBound

Smash Cadet
I would guess it's in a different category of projectile in terms of plane. It was shown in the hitbox thread some moves went into different planes, so I would guess that it bypasses conventional priority, while some moves and shields are able to reach into this particular plane.

Just a hypothesis, not even a theory :\
Laser hits link's bombs, yet link's bombs hit other projectiles that laser doesn't hit.
Spamming bomb is clearly the best defense against lasers evarrr. :)

rpotts

Smash Lord
Look at 3:40 in your video. He uses the first hit of uair, then shine cancel -> shine, just as you said.

Anyway I didn't know that. I should try to do it ingame ^^.
Yea, that's probably the one ballin was talking about. That is exactly what I did. The first hit of uair isn't necessary, it can be done from the ground. Thanks for pointin in out, ofc prince had already done it :awesome:

Top Bottom